JEWISH TRICKS

Why did israelis choose classical Hebrew instead of Yiddish as their national language? Is it part of some masterplan for world domination?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliezer_Ben-Yehuda
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebraization_of_surnames
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yiddish may be a bit too germanic-sounding for them.

they speak yiddish in the inner circles but since only ashkenazis are part of that club they had hebrew be the official language for their meatshields

Why do they make that fucking disgusting throaty noise?

There are some religious communities that speak only yiddish and speak hebrew only when preying, they think hebrew is a sacred langauge or some shit.

Ment praying hehe

The Establishment of Isreal is supposed to stop diaspora-judaism and bind jews to a country to make them stop what they had been doing for two milennia.
Thats why Hitler supportet Zionism.

It's just a special kind of bluepilled to say "muh they are jews so they must be bad"
really beats me why some don't get it.

they picked hebrew because thats what the tora and the talmud are written in, while yiddish is just a bastardization of German, i.e. the epitomy of jewish deraciantion. if you want to give the jew nationalism, he needs his own language.

>preying

You can't make this shit up

Read up on this guy if you're actually interested in the answer. Modern Hebrew is distinct from Biblical Hebrew, mostly thanks to this guy who pretty much invented most of it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliezer_Ben-Yehuda

thanks m8, I am actually pretty insterested in how you guys revived the Hebrew language, had to make the OP a bit meme-y cause you know it's pol

t. a goy that doesn't know shit

Hardly anyone speaks yiddish anymore, only Heredi's and Hasidim

NP. Fritz had it right here , the adoption of modern Hebrew was a way to cultivate an Israeli, rather than Jewish, identity in the Israeli Jews. They didn't want people to continue to insulate themselves in the Ashkenazi-Mizrahi dichotomy, and Yiddish speakers were looked down upon in the 40s and 50s. Ashkenazi Jews even tended to change their European names to Hebrew ones
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebraization_of_surnames

trying to find a picture of the old JEW, SPEAK HEBREW signs. Wasn't that shit punishable by a small fine in the good old days? The whole Hebrew vs. Yiddish thing fascinates me.
I can't help but feel a little sad Yiddish wasn't adopted. We have generations that are separated from all that glorious Yiddish literature and culture =(

interdasting, a movement is happening here in Brazil to revive the amerindian tupi language that was spoken until the XVIII century here. A dictionary last year with 8k words was released and also a grammar. It is interesting to see how you guys managed such impressive feat

Yiddish was only the language of the Ashkenazi Jews, they didnĀ“t want to give the language more significant than other "Jewish languages" (=dialects, yiddish = germanic dialect, ladino = spanish dialect, there is judaeo-georgian, judaeo-arabic etc.)

It's kinda sad to me to. Both my parents speak Yiddish because that's how their parents talked with each other, but I can barely string together two sentences. A lot of in-jokes, culture and stories are going to go away when their generation kicks it.

You have to remember that reading the bible was the one think that was common to all of the Jews in diaspora. In that sense, Hebrew was the obvious choice for Israel, because everyone knew a little Biblical Hebrew at least. The clean slate aspect also went well with Zionism.
Pic related:
"To the newly naturalized citizens:
Cast off your foreign names! Let every Israeli citizen choose an original Hebrew name, as is becoming of our renewed life in Israel"

Shatter the wall of diaspora! Speak Hebrew!

There was something on JTV awhile back about the Yiddish revival in Israel. Apparently a theater company has opened up and there's at least one exclusively Yiddish bookstore thriving.
Have you seen any of this first hand?
The documentary was supposed to be about the revival of Yiddish but half the average Yiddish speakers they talked to admitted that they didn't really have other people to talk to outside of those specific venues.

It's no wonder people didn't want to speak Hebrew back then, when everyone talked like pic related (aka like they have a huge stick up their ass).

modern Hebrew is pretty good though. grammatical gender was a fucking mistake, the whole verb system is screwed up beyond belief. even native speakers can't be assed to match the gender with the noun most of the time.

Yiddish is not going to disappear. Yiddish theater in particular is kinda popular- I went to see a show once in high school, and they had young actors and everything. The crowds are almost completely comprised of old folks, though. It's called Yiddish spiel.
The thing is that, as a spoken language, it's dying out. Haredim are the only ones still using it in daily life. Nobody is writing books in Yiddish anymore. The plays that the Yiddish theater performs are all old.
It was an explicit goal of the Zionist movement to erase the daily use of Yiddish(and other diaspora languages), but the cultural price we pay for it is kinda sad. Bud also inevitable, I guess- nobody in our generation can really understand how his grandparents lived, no matter where you're from.

Merav Michaeli was a mistake

that is kinda sad, they should at least offer some courses for yiddish or something. It is always to make an entire population forget a language

>It's just a special kind of bluepilled to say "muh they are jews so they must be bad"
>really beats me why some don't get it.
It's a meme spammed by diaspora Jews who want to continue committing crimes in the West, rather than have their movement be restricted to a containment nation.

So he's like the Francis Bacon of modern Jews?