Why should i read the bible Sup Forums ?

why should i read the bible Sup Forums ?

Because it is one of the cultural foundations of your society? You don't have to believe it's content to gain an insight, how it formed the toughts, beliefs and actions of so many people. Read it like you would read the Odyssea and the Iliad.

Posting a dumb and pointless picture like that, you're clearly not interested in reading the word of God.

Have some burning hot coals before you go back to masturbating to increasingly depraved fetishes though.

if i grew up going to church and attending catholic school, but not having read the book cover to cover, is it better for me to do so, or to read the gnostic gospels if i had to pick one or the other

it's historically interesting

Just read the summary on wikipedia whatever

Well, as a catholic, the New Testament maybe have a priority, and the gospels with their different accounts and interpretations can be a labour of faith. But ask the priest, he is ought to be the expert and guide.

No matter how cynical or anti religion you are, you should still read it with an open mind so you can understand your "opponents'" viewpoint and can critique it properly. You might even learn something. Actually, you will learn something, I guarantee that. Dunno what, but you can't read the Bible with an open mind and not learn SOMETHING.

You should not. It will needlessly confuse you. All you need to know is one weird trick that will make preachers hate you; love your neighbor. I've read the Bible many times from front to back and I am agnostic about the existence of God but you can get through life without organized religion and its writings. Just be a good person to people.

t. Wearer of Urim and Thummim

I hope she is drunk enough when it's time to pull that shit off.

Because it's the oldest and purest documentation of mankind.

Teaches you about the exploiters, the illusionists, the prostitutes, the slave masters and pimps.

Shows you how to live simple and understand the roots of yourself so that you may grow in this world.

Liberals hate it because it debunks their entire movement.

pretty much this

>Word of God
>Communicates God's plan for your life
>Disseminates the means of salvation
>Shows way of righteousness
>Convicts you of your sins

The King James Bible probably had more influence on modern English phrases, idioms and metaphors than any other book in human history. Even if it's not true you'll be shocked at how many phrases you uses every day are lifted straight from it.

KJV is worst for actual biblical study though in terms of accuracy. Better manuscripts have since come out and old english is not any closer to hebrew.

NRSV and NASB are probably the best versions at the moment

>accuracy
To what? Made up stories? That doesn't matter, I was arguing in favour of its literary merit and importance to the development of our language, and no other version of the bible comes close to KJV for that.

If you do, read the Apocrypha as well.

I read the whole bible out of curiosity when I was 12 because my ps1 broke.
Turned into atheist right after, srs kek

is there a preferred translation for this

A similar thing happened to me, I was in the hospital with appendicitis and the only thing to do was read the giddeon's bible, and I realised I claimed to believe it but had never read it myself, only what I'd been told at church and sunday school. So I read it, and it was horrifying and stupid, but a great read, with some notable exceptions.

This is pretty WTITYB but I haven't talked about it before with anyone and I feel a need to express it. Pizzagate really opened my eyes and had me challenging a lot of my preexisting beliefs about nearly everything.

I had never considered myself religious / believed in God. I believed in the dead, mechanistic universe. Lack of free will. Etc.

I came across a TEDx from Rupert Sheldrake, about how science is dogmatic, and which had been disowned by TED ... because of dogmatic scientists that complained about it. Prior to pizzagate I totally would have written this off--not even given it the time of day. But now I was able to actually listen to what he was saying and was interested enough to learn more. So from there I read two of his books, which were pretty mindblowing. Then I started learning more about ESP and how there actually is scientific evidence supporting it. This then was confirmed by the CIA disclosures that subsequently followed. Then I got exposed to Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson on Joe Rogan's podcast and that was even more mindblowing.

So now I'm at a point where all this stuff I previously had considered nonsense actually has more merit to it than I previously thought. And hence why I'm interested in learning more about religion and mysticism.

Read all the major religious texts, and see how they're all essentially the same. The only difference is how well they bury the lead.
There is only one religion, and one God.

that´s gonna hurt a lot to remove

stupid ass bitch

So you can learn the mythology of those from the East

Isaiah40:022
>It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Circle

Job 26:007
>He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.
where do you hang a table, chair, foot stool or Pillars?

Job 9:006
>Which shaketh the earth out of her place, and the pillars thereof tremble.

All in all, good post
>Fundy
yup

/thread

>NRSV and NASB are probably the best versions at the moment
Sure thing there satan

That's the kind of girl who likes a little pain in the bedroom

ballgags, black leather, spankin and shit huh, daddy´s little ISIS victim :^)

if you´re into BDSM you might wanna check out how keanu reeves gets totally cucked in knock knock

Hope she's trimmed downstairs, cause that ain't going to tickle coming off....

Don't read the King James "Bible."
Read the source documents, translated by someone you trust.

Hey, what version of the bible is the most non-cucked/best?

>why should i read the bible Sup Forums ?
You shouldn't; you should read the church fathers

The Dead Sea Scrolls and other Gospels engraved on copper.
Not kidding.

This.

FPBP.

you can watch avengers if you prefer
people repeat same archetypal stories over and over again - comic books and harry potter are more modern versions of bible

Could not have said it better.