When UBI and automation become a thing and there's no real scarcity...

When UBI and automation become a thing and there's no real scarcity, what's to stop us from just being massively degenerate and partaking only in physical pleasures?

If I'm going to get paid to do nothing and everything is provided for me, why wouldn't I just get a hot girlfriend or prostitute and do nothing but have sex all day, and if I get tired just drink, smoke weed, or do other drugs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-scarcity_economy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>what's to stop us from just being massively degenerate and partaking only in physical pleasures?
That's the point.

What do you mean? How will society still function if that's all we do?

I think people are under the impression robots will do everything for them.

robots and AI

What advancements will be made though? If all we're doing is partaking in degeneracy who's going to come up with the new scientific theories or mathematical proofs/theorems? Are we really just going to do nothing but pursue pleasure while a robot caste slaves away beneath us?

>Are we really just going to do nothing but pursue pleasure while a robot caste slaves away beneath us?
Pretty much yeah.

Post-scarcity, everybody interested in working in science or math will do so, instead of only those who can afford to learn. Without people needing to work menial jobs to survive, there will be many more people wanting to do more interesting things.

Hopefully at least we can genetically engineer future generations so we're basically only having sex with extremely attractive people.

It's a good question. My suspicions are:

1) that will get boring
2) Your health will decline

The result will be eventually looking for meaningful things to do. Think of this resultant attitude as being similar to Open Source Software developers. Where people contribute to community for fun and to feel like a good person.

There will be some that won't of course.

> that will get boring
I don't really think so, I mean you'll have to change up things from time to time but generally I don't see how just having tons of riskless sex and hanging around on a lake or by some mountains just chilling out and eating occasionally would get boring.
> Your health will decline
Maybe now, but in the future with healthcare advancements I doubt this will be much of a problem

It's kind of fucked up that you jump right straight into being a degenerate...
There's literally hundreds of things I want to learn how to do or get better at doing that I don't have the time for because of work.

Carpentry for one.
Blacksmithing for another.

Painting, piano, guitar, violin, writing, etc etc etc.

I'd still want the exact same life I want now even if I had more free time.

UBI and automation won't end scarcity for the 99%.

That is what you say now but in reality you will just sit on your couch playing games. Survival and success are essential motivators for a healthy life. This leads to work, innovation, etc.

You are just caught in a dream world. That is the trick of communism. You think it will be some magical place, when in reality that is not what will happen.

>what's to stop us from just being massively degenerate and partaking only in physical pleasures?
Ive been living that life for a decade

Gets boring desu

> Ive been living that life for a decade
As in what? Doing cocaine off of strippers, having sex at least 2-3x a day, drinking 4 beers or 2+ shots everyday?

>As in what? Doing cocaine off of strippers, having sex at least 2-3x a day, drinking 4 beers or 2+ shots everyday?
LOL i wish

Are you really that dumb that you think that wont get boring after years?

>everyone is extremely fit, athletic and good looking
So, the olympic village where everyone is fucking constantly

Not that specifically, but living in, say, Montana with a hot wife/gf, chilling, taking a canoe out over a lake to just look at the sky and relax, maybe do some fishing, going into the forest and hiking, maybe doing some hunting with a bow/gun, doing some cooking if possible, and having sex 4-5x a day sounds idyllic and I think would be pretty awesome and not get very boring.

The answer is Carrousel.

>When UBI and automation become a thing and there's no real scarcity, what's to stop us from just being massively degenerate and partaking only in physical pleasures?
IF UBI happens you'll be living under a communist regime barely scraping by with no time or energy for degeneracy

Doubt it. Current barriers to entry into STEM aren't that high and there are heavy incentives. Instead of having overwhelming interest in these high paying careers people are overcoming similar barriers to entry in order to make no money with their XYZ studies degrees.

>i can spend my whole life having great sex and doing drugs.
>but fuck that, I'm gonna study math or history, despite it not giving me anymore than I have and pretty much being a personal waste of time

Yeh maybe 1/1000000 people would go for it. It would be 5 generations until we are to stupid to even fix the broken machines
>but we'll have machines to do that, I'm sure
It's hell pretending to be strawberry fields forever.

>mfw I'm over 30

Yes, if robots are taking care of everything and we do genetic engineering that seems like the end game.

Post-scarcity implies that pic related occurs.

Once pic related occurs, it literally does not matter what the fuck you think. You have ZERO influence. Better to come to terms with this outcome now, and know that even if you die before it happens, it is going to happen in the time of your progeny or theirs. This is an inevitability lest we wipe ourselves the fuck off this mudball.

You can literally do that in Finland right now because of welfare state. I could do it even without the welfare state because of wealthy family.

However, doing drugs means you'll be ostracized by rest of society and considered a failure. So there is a LOT of people who want to become scientists. We have one of the highest number of PhDs per capita, to the point that there are people with technical doctorates that can't find work at all.

What do you mean, there is no real scarcity? There is no real scarcity now, just too many people not producing anything. Without people being productive, you don't have a civilization. Machines need to be maintained, improved and replaced. When people stop learning and thinking, dangerous things like Communism happen.

You think that fucking, and drugs will sate you forever? Even I, after a good binge, would find myself bored with warm holes and drugs. That's saying alot even for me. Eventually I would chase after my interests, pursuing new horizons and adventure. Do you think every person on this earth is only going to do drugs and fuck? That's incredibly short sided, why don't yu just get on welfare now and do that, why doesn't everyone. If we are taking about a good UBI and almost total automation, that frees up people to do what they love and are passionate about, and yes alot would go after hedonism at its fullest, but I see those people being looked down upon and being put into a nigger tier category.
>anonfu what do yu do?
>lay around and do drugs
meanwhile chad is diversifying his talent pool and his knowledge base. Though I suspect by the time this world is upon us, alot of people will be inside virtual worlds of their own choosing, or exploring space.

Post-Scarcity basically means goods can be produced extremely abundantly at minimal human labor and extremely cheap cost to the point where everything is almost entirely free and nobody needs to struggle to live, eat, etc. The idea behind automation is that it decreases the amount of human labor needed to be done by offshoring it to machine, with the logical end goal being machines basically doing almost all human work, and there being a large number of humans not doing any work but being completely provided for materially by the machines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-scarcity_economy

You'd still have kids going to school to learn to try to ignite their passion

Also, UBI isn't communist in the way that everyone gets the same. Those who choose to work will have more. You could get your UBI at say 25k/year to have food, housing and some basic luxuries, or you could be a doctor and make 6 figures and have more than the UBI only plebs.

You could work part time to make a little bit of extra money doing something that isn't totally automated if you wanted to save up for gifts for Christmas

Why fuck and do drugs when I could be anyone/anywhere/anytime in a matrix system. Living out full fledged lives, an SS in Hitlers Germania, a medieval knight, Gandalf, your mom.

Okay that sounds pretty legit

Where is all this money coming from?

I'm not advocating for UBI, I'm just highlighting that some people seem to be misunderstanding.

>having sex 4-5x a day

man have you ever had sex

because automate luxury communism is 2/10 makebelieve to keep people like you from looking seriously at your energy usage.

by the late-2060s, we'll pretty much be back to the technology level of the early 1800s.

but yeah, live your life as though it's not going to happen. chances are you're too stupid to actually prepare in a meaningful way.

shit replied to the wrong post

>2060
>life extension and total control over genes
>nanites
>were back to horses and carriages

Yes, and I'm still pretty young and can have a lot of sex in a day. Have you seriously not had sex at least 3 times in a day? You're not dying of tiredness or anything.

You invest in ideas that can't be explored by machines.
You expand culture, music and art.

You start to funnel people into avenues that aren't as very well explored. A push towards the decline of the hollywood blockbuster and mass-media entertainment, as we look back and appreciate what came before us, and struggle to make grand new works. You try to open people's minds.

That seems like the best avenue to lead things with an over abundance of people and idle hands.

>why wouldn't I just get a hot girlfriend or prostitute and do nothing but have sex all day
Why would women prostitute themselves when under a UBI when they'd likely receive superior benefits to men? How are you going to get a hot girlfriend if there is nothing materially differentiating you from other men on the UBI? Hypergamy and gynocentrism aren't going anywhere, you'll still need to prove yourself to get laid, which will be even more difficult under a UBI.