Why do "Sanctuary Cities" exist...

Why do "Sanctuary Cities" exist? If there are places in a country you can go to without being a documented citizen and still enjoy the benefits of being a citizen, why do I have to pay my taxes? Why don't I just burn my passport and claim refugee status?

FUCK
DA
POLICE
BUNNY

Because your white
Probably

>Toronto and Hamilton are the official sanctuary cities in Canada
Ontario gets worse every year

You need some brown dust so you can pass for a refugee

>That feel when thousands died for nothing.

_ ____ __ ____ ____ _____

I want to fuck the rabbit?

Many illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities still hold down jobs and pay income taxes. They can't all subsist on gibs.

As for why sanctuary policies exist, it's simple. Think of it this way.

Let's say your city has an issue with violent crime. A good proportion of that crime isn't committed by illegals, but by naggers. But a lot of illegals happen to be witnesses to these kinds of crimes.

In a non-sanctuary zone, those illegals would keep their mouths shut about anything that happened, because they'd be worried about getting deported if they went up in front of the police or court system. As a result, the naggers would continue to torch shit or whatever with impunity.

If, on the other hand, there were a sanctuary policy in place - a policy where the police don't deport you simply for being illegal, but instead only if you're illegal -and- a perpetrator of a serious crime, the illegals would be much more likely to come forward and act as witnesses to nagger-based crimes without fear of deportation.

baby got back

If the government is willing to go through all that though, why not just grant them citizenship in the first place?

Because law.

Sanctuary cities were made to circumvent the law. Plain and simple.

I want to duck fuck Judy.

I think it's morse code? R O

this is bunny thread

That's kind of what Obama's been trying to do with this "pathway to citizenship" thing. Citizenship first requires lawful permanent residency. But while a lot of these illegals have been here since they were toddlers or whatever, and a number of them might be hard-working taxpayers, they have no legal status to base a claim to citizenship off of. Obama wanted to give some of the illegals (especially the taxpaying ones) a permanent residency status, so they could work towards citizenship lawfully and efficiently.

That, and sanctuary city policies are set at the city/municipality/county level, while citizenship is handled at the federal level. Two completely different levels of government.

wrong.
they have to go back

>That bleak background.
Fuck I wish I lived in Zootopia instead of this frozen garbage dump.
Thank you for shedding some light on the subject. I can definitely see why such cities are put in place. It is a bit weird though that municipalities have control over whether or not they become sanctuaries instead of the federal government. I mean, couldn't it somewhat be construed as an act of rebellion. If a nation's leader is opposed to illegal immigrants taking residence, while a city makes it so they can remain there.

IWTFTR

Sanctuary city policies are infact a form of rebellion. In truth, they are just a loose term referring to city policies which state that if local police forces encounter illegal immigrants, that they aren't to be reported to federal authorities unless they're charged or convicted of a serious felony.

Obama just turned a blind eye to these policies, since he sympathised with the concept and didn't want to make too much of a ruckus (and also because the court systems are already packed). Trump is livid about them because his entire campaign had an entire anti-illegal-immigrant bent.

How would Trump combat it?

>As for why sanctuary policies exist, it's simple.

They're cheap labor, end or story, you apologist prison-colony git.

"they'll report crimes" lmfao.

kys.

The federal government collects taxes from the citizens and states, then distributes that income to various things (including citizens, states, cities, universities, infrastructure workers, etc.).

If Trump was so inclined, he could refuse to use federal taxpayer money to assist sanctuary zones. In turn, those same sanctuary zones may refuse to forward their collected tax money to the federal government as another act of rebellion.

The likely success of this strategy would be dependent partly on the level of public support for the sanctuary policy within the city itself (as that would translate directly to municipal authorities' political will to continue fighting), as well as the relative tax income versus taxes paid to the fed. If the city naturally runs a surplus without federal help or taxation, it's much harder for Trump to lean on them.

Trump could also, however, get the state government in question to lean on them at the same time in a similar fashion. This would be most effective in Republican-dominated Texas, and least effective in sanctuary-happy California.

Thanks for the info. While I still disagree with the notion of sanctuary cities, I appreciate the knowledge I have been given today.

is she anorexic or something?

>she

I've always wondered how a federal agency isn't allowed to kick in the doors of illegals in municipalities that encourage and protect illegal residents.

>over 51% are immigrants/illegals in Toronto

Platform on an anti-white, anti-national campaign and you will be elected every time. Easy to see why its allowed.

>Ontario
I warned you about them.

Tell me more user

Well? Why don`t you?

>paying taxes to a government you don't support

Try university of Texas.

This is actually ridiculous.

Don't fuck with this senator.

Personnel and intel, mostly. Immigration authorities can't be everywhere at once. There are far more cops across the country than feds. And it's the cops at the local pevel who are most likely to have info on individual illegal immigrants. If the cops don't share that info, the immigration authorities are effectively flying blind.

Because you're white.

Another reason given by advocates of these policies is that if they're protected by a sanctuary policy, they're more likely to report being underpaid and exploited to the local authorities. In theory, this not only improves the pay of the illegals, but also levels the playing field for native working class people, since the appeal of having illegals goes down if they're going to report you for stiffing them.

That's bullshit. In Beanerland the cartels own the police and you get fucking dismembered and fed your own dick if you snitch.

There's no way in hell they're ever going to the police.

Democrats never run on a surplus