Atheism is improbable and irrational

If it would be irrational to say that the human statues in Egypt just formed by themselves from the sand for no reason, why do some people think that it is rational to say that actual humans, which are far more complex, just evolved by themselves from inorganic chemicals?

>b-but the burden of proof lies on the theist

This implies that we should assume atheism, until theism is absolutely proven, which is absurd. Instead we should follow where the evidence naturally leads. We know that paintings, carvings, statues, writings, ect. are evidence of human habitation because they exhibit characteristics that natural processes are unlikely to cause. The information written in a book is best explained by an intelligent agent, rather than the chemical properties of ink or paper. Likewise, the information in the genome, and the complex, intricate machinery that sustains it cannot be explained by the chemical properties of DNA or any organic molecules. After decades of study, there are no laws of nature that can create any kind of self replicating, coded language system. Therefore, an intelligent cause is the best explanation. Aliens do not solve this, because they would be bound by the same laws of logic and nature. Only a supernatural entity that exists outside the laws of nature can explain it.

>but muh evolution

Evolution assumes atheism, and subsequently tries to explain observable facts within an atheistic evolutionary framework (and often falsely claims that such explanations are scientific facts). In order to prove evolution, all alternate explanations of the evidence, (and many exist that are more plausible than their evolutionary explanations) would need to be disproven. To use evolution as evidence for atheism is circular logic.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Honestly, I'm not opposed to all atheists being physically removed from the country. They're a blight on humanity.

>ITT

Atheism is just another religion now.

Evolution is complete BS anyway. In order for an organism to evolve from, say, a fish of some sort, to an amphibian, they would need new genetic information to form legs, lungs, etc. HOWEVER we have NEVER observed, in nature, an organism gaining genetic information through mutation. Mutation can only cause an organism to lose genetic information, which can at times be beneficial and leads to microevolution within species, but mutation can never cause an organism to gain genetic information it didn't previously have.

Don't even get me started on the incredibly inaccurate methods of fossil dating and how we look at rock layers completely backwards

Someone gets it, that's good. inb4 Evolution cultists get butthurt.

>Don't even get me started on the incredibly inaccurate methods of fossil dating
Elaborate.

this is why nobody takes you seriously fags

What am I supposed to do if I've been atheist all my life? I grew up in China where atheism is the norm and it would be a weird jump for me to suddenly start believing in a god.

Says the faggot telling me to prove a negative. Fuck off

Im an atheist what now bitch?

Western Abrahamic religions are beyond retarded, if I had to I'd definitely choose between Hinduism, Daoism or Buddhism.

>le watchmaker's fallacy
>le "increase in information is possible" meme

>worshiping a Jew

stay concerned

carbon dating is complete trash

for example, when they carbon dated rock newly formed from the explosion of mt. st. helens it was supposedly thousands of years old...

The more you think about the narrative that's being pushed about how the earth and universe was created, the more holes you find... there has to be an origin, you can't just say that there was nothing, then everything. Take a stab at reading the Bible, maybe speak to a priest if you're actually considering religion.

Jesus came to end the ritualism of Judaism and introduce the new covenant. Jews still hate him to this day

You know that carbon dating isn't the only method.

is this a full comic?

Oh yes, and it's just as crazy as it seems.

pretty much every method of dating relies on Uniformitarianism, which is a pretty terrible way to interpret the data considering that it doesn't account for natural disasters whatsoever

Sauce on the full comic?

>when oglaf tries to be hetero

So why didn't you bring that point up when asked to elaborate on why fossil dating is "incredibly inaccurate"?

bump for kek

is Chick tract?

>HOWEVER we have NEVER observed, in nature, an organism gaining genetic information through mutation.
kek
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eating_bacteria

>for example, when they carbon dated rock newly formed from the explosion of mt. st. helens it was supposedly thousands of years old...
A study that's been thoroughly debunked as having been a poorly ran scientific experiment riddled with potentially fatal flaws, not the least of which was choosing a radiometric dating method that is known not to work accurately for samples less than 2 million years old.

You came here after getting destroyed on /sci/ again, didn't you?

Convent of Hell or something...

>If it would be irrational to say that the human statues in Egypt just formed by themselves from the sand for no reason
Of course, after all sand is a terrible construction material for statues, since it cannot hold a physical shape for long before outside factors take place.
Stone, on the other hand, can. It's highly unlikely, but possible.

I just did?

Lord created these creatures to cleanse the Earth from Human's pollution.

So yeah... those are nuns...

Can you sauce me on mutations being only lost genetic info?

t. 19yo shitlord in bio2 right now with a fat vegetarian liberal professor

I didn't read all your shit, but why aren't your cuck gods posting their own bait? As a matter of fact why aren't they doing anything? Nobody has ever even seen them.

>for example, when they carbon dated rock newly formed from the explosion of mt. st. helens it was supposedly thousands of years old...

Are you certain the rock wasn't just shrapnel from the mountain explosion that was thousands of years old? You did say it was an explosion, after all.

Stupidity, the post

>Atheism is improbable and irrational
There have been thousands of made-up gods in history and we all very clearly understand those gods are mere figments of the imagination. That's rational

You believe that, without the slightest scintilla of evidence, your new made-up gods are somehow more than just imagination. That's hard-core irrational.

Class dismissed.

After getting reminded that your argument is baseless since carbon dating isn't the sole method of fossil dating and thus not a reason why it'd be inaccurate.

>when they carbon dated rock newly formed from the explosion of mt. st. helens it was supposedly thousands of years old...
Carbon dating is for samples of biological origin, for regular rocks you use Iron-60.

user delivers

Atheism is not the affirmative belief that there is no God, it is the absnse of belief that there is one.

There is a difference.

Your argument is an old and tired one, and an ever shrinking one. The "God of the Gaps", except you are projecting your sophomoric understanding of Biology as the apex. You asume that since you don't understand it, no one does.

Whoa dude, humans are like, complex and stuff, you know? I dont understand it because its so complicated so that must mean God is real, brah.

>evolution assumes stheism

No, it doesn't. You assume Theism means Inteligent Design with no notable shifts in biodiversity.

Evolution is litterally just long term genetics and the "free market" forces that render some traits preferable over others in given enviroments.

>mutation can only cause an organism to lose genetic information

That is demonstably false. Google something outside of Young Earth blogs.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention two other things.
>I am only mentioning my thoughts on your little spiel as I read it because I will think of other counterarguments as I study it more.
>This is a politics board, take your religious debates elsewhere.

Religion and the lack of any religion is a joke. Embrace agnosticism. It's the only logical approach to a history we can never know the reality of.

I'm an atheist myself, but the ideology should never become mainstream because it inevitably leads to degeneracy/hedonism which means downfall of civilizations.

>why do some people think that it is rational to say that actual humans, which are far more complex, just evolved by themselves from inorganic chemicals?

Why do the profoundly confused insist that their elaborate hoax gods make themselves magically appear with no designers or creators?

>Evolution assumes atheism
That's a lie. Evolution assumes no such thing.

Why is it religious nut jobs invariably have such severely damaged cognitive ability?

You're comparing an observable timescale to a cosmological timescale. Your feeble brain cannot envision 1 million years, let alone billions of years. Your probability argument falls apart because it stems from this faulty comparison.

well I'm an agnostic believer so yeah :/.

>it inevitably leads to degeneracy/hedonism which means downfall of civilizations.
Gonna need to ask for some citations, man.
Actually, not need; want. I want to study your claim more so I can better create a counterargument, if I can at all.

so many logic fallacies don't know where to begin

argument from ignorance is a good place to begin

Natural processes cause shit that we recognize all the time. It's how humans are hardwired.
>muh jesus toast
>muh cloud virgin mary
>muh mountain jesus face

Evolution is not and was never formulated as a proof for atheism. It explains how different species emerged as the most successful individuals in their surroundings were able to pass on their traits. It is a proven fact that it occurs as we can see how organisms with rapid generational turnover; such as some insects, strains of bacteria, and viruses; change over time. The fact that it flies in the face of Genesis and God poofing all current animals into exsistance at once is irrelevant.

Remain spiritual if you want, but cast off your willful ignorance. Stop trying to correlate religion and science.

This image made me laugh really hard and I don't really know why...

>Evolution assumes atheism
holy crap, Ken Ham is that you?

Sup Forums is afraid of this

Not an argument.

science =/= atheism.

the fallacious argument is in the OP, refer to the rules at when you log onto this forum

Do they have internet in prison?

He can't because it's not real. Anti-evolutioners are anti-science bible thumpers, you should know better than that.

Crap, never mind about the Sup Forums is for politics part, forgot for a moment you didn't post "/pol is a [INSERT BELIEF SYSTEM HERE]" post.

>1 post by this ID
...Fuck.

but its not irrational to say god made god from nothing?

Religion never really answers "Why"

>If it would be irrational to say that the human statues in Egypt just formed by themselves from the sand for no reason, why do some people think that it is rational to say that actual humans, which are far more complex, just evolved by themselves from inorganic chemicals?

This is one of the great mysteries of modern biology: In recreating Earth's early environment, we are able to see the spontaneous development of 3 of 4 macro organic-molecules except for one: Nucleic Acid, the core mechanism that gives rise to DNA.

I've long said that, while searching for the truth through scientific means, that does not mean we cannot theologically reconcile scripture and science. To your example, is it so odd that the order in which Genesis has life created is the same order in which it evolved on Earth?

The issue I have is that, in recent years, religious fundamentalism has become a REPLACEMENT for science as an attempt to understand the natural world. I mean for fucks sakes, religious institutions used to be at the forefront of scientific developments and patronage.

>hey would need new genetic information to form legs, lungs
It's called a mutation, the DNA replication process isn't perfect
>HOWEVER we have NEVER observed, in nature, an organism gaining genetic information through mutation
Yes you have, it's called cancer. Cancer is LITERALLY a mutation in cellular-reproduction moderating genes (oncogenes) that cause those cells to reproduce uncontrollably.

Just like not all theists are WBC nutjob bible thumpers, not all atheists are cringey fuckwad fedora tippers.

uh, I don't think so.

This is one of the things I never get.
How can God be exempt from causality but the Universe can't be?
The Big Bang theory is literally just Genesis without God

The problem is with low-IQ people who don't have capacities for long term planning. Religion puts the fear of god into those people, making them behave like they're civilized. But when that's removed, and people start thinking the only consequences are what's in front of them, we see a rise in lawlessness and immorality. For some people, gods are the only reasons to act moral.

Sure but if He did, He did so through a genetic mutation of an existing creature

>Your average christcuck

OP has also made a number of scientific errors in his post

>> Likewise, the information in the genome, and the complex, intricate machinery that sustains it cannot be explained by the chemical properties of DNA or any organic molecules

incorrect

and

>> Aliens do not solve this, because they would be bound by the same laws of logic and nature.

you don't know this

>The problem is with low-IQ people who don't have capacities for long term planning.
Wouldn't Eugenics and putting value in education do better then just converting everyone to Christianity? I see your point, I'm just bringing up mine.

>burning a bunch of women to death for having harmless fun without you
Always thought that most "Deus Vult" Christcucks are closet homos.

Militant atheism is the only thing capable of fighting against the islamic invasion of Yurop, since christians are so docile these days

>What is division

>a magic man created a bunch of fucked up, sickly, retarded hairless apes in order to berate them about not touching their genitals

or

>a natural process occurred over millions of years, resulting in diversification of millions of different species, many of which share similar traits to each other

>a process which occurs on a timeline that is observable to humans, within small populations of other creatures

>a process which has evidence in the form of a fossil dna record

Yeah christfag, your stance is really compelling.

For your information, more than half of the other christfags sitting in church with you don't actually believe the shit in the bible. They are there for the community and the moral guidance, or out of traditional pressure from their families.

Reminder that if you:

1) Believe in the death and literal resurrection of Christ

2) Think that miracles were literally performed in the bible, and continue to be performed to this day

3) Believe in divine authority

4) Believe that clergy are more connected to your god than you

5) Believe in the power of prayer

Then you have the mind of a child, and absolutely deserve the coddling and pandering you receive from your church, all for the minor cost of tithe and your dignity.

Christanity has value has a moral community guideline, but the retarded shit you people choose to start fights over almost (almost) dumpsters the entire concept. You should fuck off and accept that your mythology is just as unlikely and improbably as any other religion to have existed.

wow, I'm not sure if this is bait or if you're really this fucking stupid.

Why are there a million different gods?
Why are there a million different creation stories?
Why is it that religions come and go, change all the time but atheism always remains the same?

Because theism is the true blue pill.

I would prefer your approach to clutching on to religion, absolutely. But we can't even put Trump in office without leftists signing up for 4 years of protests, Eugenics feels more like a dream than anything else with that environment.

Fun question not aimed at you that nobody will answer: Do any of you who disbelieve in evolution also believe in eugenics?

>Harmless fun
Not true, for they are reducing their motivation by having orgasms. Or is that just a dude thing?
Unfortunatly, most people of any religious group are docile these days; The real only hope is an alliance between militant Atheism and Militant Christianity.

god is fake and dumb, btfo

>Evolution assumes atheism, and subsequently tries to explain observable facts within an atheistic evolutionary framework (and often falsely claims that such explanations are scientific facts).

op is either trolling or completely retarded, he's probably trolling though, I HOPE he's trolling. Basically implying if you believe in evolution, you can't have any kind of spirituality, and atheism and the belief in deity(ies), are mutually exclusive, which absolute delusion

I'm an atheist but politically agree with right wing Christians on pretty much everything. I will agree that a omnipresent method of mind policing everyone into good behavior can be useful and sometimes needed, but I just won't buy into the supernatural.

And then their are these assholes.

>fallacious argument
>literally what most atheist arguments rely on for credibility

This.
The issue is that idolatry, the worship of authority is inherent in people. If you're intelligent and free-thinking and philosophically-practicing, you can see use secular reason to determine the right or efficient thing to do.

The issue, (if the Leftist (not Liberal) dogma has taught us anything) is that even when people have facts, they fall into idolatry and worshiping practices that ask nothing of their mental capacity to think.

I'm a physicist and nothing gets under my skin like 16-24 year-olds reading clickbait science blogs that explain phenomenon and research at the BillNye level still. They've got brains that COULD comprehend the actual study and nuances of the research if they really tried but they'd rather treat Science as a new religion, as a certainty rather than as an iterative, continuously self-correcting process.

We need a religion for the masses who, self-demonstrably, don't want to think hard to understand the world as it really is. Those who question this given religion can enter academic study to have a chance to understand this world.

Plato himself often talked about those who leave the Cave coming back and taking the place of the puppet master, creating new shadows that more accurately simulate the world outside

>Why is it that religions come and go, change all the time but atheism always remains the same?
because all Atheism is is the non-belief of a god/deity/higher power. Theists have existed for thousands of years, just like Atheists and Agnostics. Theism, Atheism, Agnosticism, Deism etc. have been around for like 5,000 years.

>1 post by this ID
If you're going to present an argument, you're going to have to debate it openly with the wider community. By not replying to anyone ITT you come across to me as someone who is not entirely certain about their own beliefs, and mostly likely copy and pasted this from else where

thats the problem with christianty: they dont read their bibles. and if they do, they are tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine and are not stable. I know you are shilling on the christins, but the bible is completely real and it does take some guidance to know were to start reading it. btw fool, how many gorillion of zillions of years did it take for rock to be rained on to become a living thing?

you cant dress up an uninformed opinion in a suit and call it an argument. get fucked, no one cares about your shitty imaginary friends. if they make you happy thats your business but dont go around acting like normal people can see them. its fucking childish.

>why do some people think that it is rational to say that actual humans, which are far more complex, just evolved by themselves from inorganic chemicals?

In nearly every sphere of knowledge it makes sense. If I say "Earth" you think of the ground. When we die, some of our organic compounds give nutrition to decomposers, some goes to sedimentary rock, our minerals go back to form crystals, etc. There is nothing about us that is not 100% part of this Earth.

The L-shaped proteins you science-illiterates know as "mean old acids" tend to form by themselves under the right conditions. Who is to say this is not a very natural process? Just because you don't know anything about it doesn't mean it's not an observable, repeatable phenomenon.

>get fucked, no one cares about your shitty imaginary friends.
But I'm an atheist.

except that the theist OP and many others like him rely on it heavily

The argument from ignorance (or argumentum ad ignorantiam and negative proof) is a logical fallacy that claims the truth of a premise is based on the fact that it has not (yet) been proven false, or that a premise is false because it has not (yet) been proven true. This is often phrased as "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

If the only evidence for something's existence is a lack of evidence for it not existing, then the default position is one of mild skepticism and not credulity. This type of negative proof is common in proofs of God's existence or in pseudosciences where it is used as an attempt to shift the burden of proof onto the skeptic rather than the proponent of the idea. The burden of proof is on the individual proposing existence, not the one questioning existence.

evolution doesn't assume atheism you just are too feeble in mind to comprehend how evolution itself, the system, the way that it works is so elegant and perfect as to suggest a creator. Not a creator coming in and tweaking each individual creature, but a creator creating a cacophony of self-creating, growing, improving creation, a self perpetuating, self improving creation, in a universe poised to set forth this secret chain reaction whenever the conditions fall into perfect alignment, but in a universe also so harsh as to only that that flower blossom under equally selective conditions. That's like someone making a self-building music box that then conducts its own melody and continues to improve it.

Does that kind of thing sound on par with geology to you? I believe in evolution, and belief in evolution makes me believe in a creator

BTW the Big Bang never happened, the Earth is round, and we did indeed go to the moon

WE ARE CURRENTLY IN THE DISPENSATION OF THE GRACE OF GOD. WE HAVE BEEN FOR APPROXIMATELY THE LAST 2000 YEARS. TODAY YOU MUST START READING THE BIBLE IN ROMANS. THERE YOU WILL FIND THE GOSPEL OF THE GRACE OF GOD TOWARD MAN PREACHED UNTO YOU BY THE APOSTLE PAUL, THE APOSTLE WHO WE ARE ALL COMMANDED TO FOLLOW ) COMMANDED BY GOD THE FATHER AND THE LORD JESUS CHRIST) HOW TO BE JUSTIFIED FREELY IN THE SIGHT OF GOD TODAY YOU WILL FIND IN THE FIRST FOUR CHAPTERS OF ROMANS AND WHAT YOU MUST DO TO BE JUSTIFIED FREELY (3:24-26): TO BELIEVE IN JESUS AND HAVE FAITH IN HIS BLOOD AS THE PAYMENT FOR YOUR SINS, WITHOUT ASKING(BECAUSE ASKING IS PRAYING AND PRAYING IS A WORK AND WE ARE NOT SAVED IN THIS DISPENSATION BY WORKS BUT BY FAITH ALONE) AND BE FULLY PERSUADED LIKE ABRAHAM, WHO TRUSTED GOD.

TL;DR: thescripturesalonebibleschool.net

>Do any of you who disbelieve in evolution also believe in eugenics?

Evolution is a theory. You accept it or you don't. There is no option to "believe" it.

Eugenics is a pseudoscience based on entirely human constructs not of race, but which races are most desired, not of genetics, but which gene combinations are most desired. It's a predatory form of social behavior instituted by the worst kinds of governments. It's irrational and nearly identical to the real foundations of religion.

honestly evolution is bullshit. the bible called it bullshit thousands of years ago when it wrote about it in 1st timothy- to avoid vain babblings and oppositions of science falsely so called.real science is real, fake science is faggotry for the mind

I masturbated so many times to this comic in middle school.

This. How dense some people are

In 1,000 years no one will care about the bible or the koran anymore.

I don't need a magic sky man to convince me not to rape people.

>how many gorillion of zillions of years did it take for rock to be rained on to become a living thing?
It depends on the chemical compositions of the rock, the atmosphere and local electrical charges.

All you need to make DNA, the foundation of all life on Earth?

Carbon (C)
Phosphorus (P)
Nitrogen (N)
Oxygen (O)
Hydrogen (H)

It's a simple shopping list. The air is mostly nitrogen and oxygen. Water is hydrogen and oxygen are water. The acidic rain can release the carbon and phosphorus from the rock. All the chemicals sloshed around and struck by lightning for billions of years. I'm really surprised it didn't happen much sooner and it's a certainty it's already happened on thousands of other planets by now.