What's your favorite passage from Matthew/Mark/Luke/John?

Mine is Luke 14:26:
>If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Other urls found in this thread:

biblehub.com/greek/3404.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

/Jewish family values/

Jesus is the only one who could live fully aligned with the forces and laws of the universe, never going against them

Cool story. What about when he was walking on water though?

Mine is Luke 14: 25-35

Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. 27 And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28 “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.

34 “Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.

“Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”

I mostly like how Luke 14: 25 is in reference towards a person needing to put aside family, their personal ego, etc. in order to become a disciple.

Matthew 19

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good[a] Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good?[b] No one is good but One, that is, God.[c] But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’[d] and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”[e]

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth.[f] What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

What about when he led the Patriots to victory though?

I think more people need to accept this passage in order for America to rise from the current ashes.

Jesus wept

He has to hate everybody to like Jesus?

To be a disciple.

No, you have to devote your time to Jesus in order to become a disciple, you cannot devote 100% of your time to one task whilst being occupied with other things, including, but not limited to your family, your personal interests, etc.

I gotta wonder what interpretation of that leads to the self destructive nature we have in christianity.

Wouldn't loving your neighbor mean wanting what's best for them?

Putting Low IQ people into neighbhorhoods where they are going to rot because we've been flooded with radical egalitarianism is clearly not in their best interest.

IMO we have two choices-the road we were on before, or varying empires that know what is best for their obviously different populations.

idk

to love means to put the truth between them and yourself.

Is "hate" really the translation?

gonna check that out right now.

I'm sure it's just transliteration errors.
Resent is probably more fitting.

miseó: to hate
Original Word: μισέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: miseó
Phonetic Spelling: (mis-eh'-o)
Short Definition: I hate, detest
Definition: I hate, detest, love less, esteem less.

oh wow thanks, "esteem less" and even "love less" sound a lot different than how people interpret "hate" nowadays

Major problem with the Good book. Transliteration, if something seems off, just google it. People are pouring hours everyday into fixing it.

See biblehub.com/greek/3404.htm for a lot more on that. I find 'hate' makes good sense.

When I say to God 'Please let me hate myself and my father', I dont feel hateful, I feel closer to the truth and at peace.