Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ai_VHZq_7eU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-antonym
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who cares?

Only fucking faggots speak English.

It's a fake language.

Yes

I actually never realized this before but Urban Dictionary is essentially a hive of 'black culture', isn't it?

this desu famalam

>not understanding that literally every major modern dictionary is a reflection of the language, rather than vice versa

Jesus Christ do you know nothing about linguistics?

>implying merriam-webster hasn't lowered its standards

You are literally fucking retarded.

>hurr durr why are words that are in the current lexicon/vernacular in the dictionary?

Where's the fucking rake at already?

You have no idea what you're talking about, Pierre

Okay, I can understand photobomb and humblebrag, but weak sauce is more of a phrase. MW defines phrases, not just words?

It is dying, yes.
Merriam-webster should be avoided like the plauge now. They need to die for us to live.

>he says while speaking in English

urban = black

Sad!

Fucking retards. "Weak sauce" is a phrasal verb, not a fucking word.

>implying merriam-webster isn't the weak sauce of the definitions industry

>literally

He has a point about standards.

Oxford is the same way. Every dictionary is the same. Literally nobody with actual linguistics qualifications is a descriptivist in 2017, and for good reason: Its fucking moronic & the domain of people who call themselves grammar nazis or whatever

Co-Evolving with the internet bro

Technology always changes the way we communicate

>descriptivist

Great I'm drunk before noon and I meant prescriptivist. Idiots are prescriptivists. Fuck off

>weak sauce a word
>a word
>a
It's a multi-word idiom.

It's not even compounded like the other two.

No the English language is highly adapatable and constantly changes and takes on new words

Basically every culture English speakers interact with tend to lend words to English, you can even look up English has probably the top or nearly top number of words in it compared to other languages

Go back 700 years and you would be hard pressed to understand someone "speaking English"

No different today just look at the way people spoke in the 1960's or 19teens compared to today

It's constantly changing

Isn't there two kinds of dictionary? One says "this is how people talk" and the other says "this is how people should talk"

Someone told me once that was the difference between Webster and Oxford dictionaries

>"this is how people should talk"

THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF A DICTIONARY. ENGLISH DOESNT HAVE A LANGUAGE ACADEMY LIKE FRENCH OR SPANISH. THERE IS NO AUTHORITY FOR ENGLISH THAT SAYS "YOU SHOULD SPEAK LIKE THIS" YOU FUCKING IDIOT

Jesus fucking christ I just want to burn my phd and drink until my heart stops

Sounds like you should, cryin ass wasting phd basterd bitch

Let it go fimflam

There is too much ignorance you can never hope to fix it

>THERE IS NO AUTHORITY FOR ENGLISH THAT SAYS "YOU SHOULD SPEAK LIKE THIS" YOU FUCKING IDIOT

A fake language.

So every slang phrase the internet comes up with should be added to the dictionary? You consider mansplaining a valid addition to our lexicon because less than 1% of our population had used it for a few months on the internet? Is your college professor in her mid 30s with purple hair? Get a real qualification you stupid arse.

I know you're just memeing, but I'll jump in and say my opinion. English is really a "sketchy" language. Proof of that is all those questions regarding pronounciation of words.

No, that's not what this fucking means

Fucking 'famalam' isnt gonna get put into the dictionary, but something like 'photobomb' would because it has wide, wide usage. Its 100% based on usage. Like the word "wireless" was almost dropped from the dictionary in the 90s because it referred pretty much exclusively to radios, but then wi-fi came around, and so the word had life again! So it didn't get cut! Dictionaries are a reflection of our vernacular. They do not prescribe anything, they're a guide. Please don't make me have more whisky at 11:54am, I have a class to teach

>a fake languange
>the lingua franca of global politics, business, trade, and science
>most widely spoken language overall
>is spoken basically all over the world
>will probably be the primary language of earth as we begin to colonize the stars

Fake.. k

Though also 'senpai' would be. I'm pretty sure its in most. Either way, fuck you, you're an idiot, dude.

I forgot about the word filters and alcohol continues to cause me to selfown constantly

>meme words in dictionaries
Pointless
They will be irrelevant in months

Dictionaries have always been historical records of the manner in which words have been used in the past, and have always been subject to changes in the common use of words used by the populace.

Generally, they have some criteria for which words are really 'in-use' (I think the OED requires 10,000 uses in a set of published media sources), and as long as a word, no matter how modern, meets those criteria, it gets a spot in the dictionary. Similarly, sometimes words fall out of use and are omitted.

Remember when lingual studies was a form of study reserved for the most utter autists
With this new flow of meme degree kids lingual study has become a joke

>humblebrag

What the fuck are you talking about, Thijs

>No the English language is highly adapatable and constantly changes and takes on new words

Doesn't Britain, USA, Canada, Australia etc have their own board who evaluates what words should be part of the official dictionary and what words are temporary (a decade or two).

Defining the spelling of color/colour, analyse/analyze and words like football.

Got some chums like that in Sweden (Svenska Akademien) but they have for the last years been pressed by liberals to rewrite the official language. Removing "bad words" and adding "good words" to make SJW happy.

No English has no overarching athourity it's completely anarchic

No, English doesn't have an academy, period. Please stop

underrated

No one fucking says "photo bomb" anymore

>merriam-webster
>dictionary

Its always been shit tier. Really, really shit tier.

Oxford is bestford.

As someone who frequently listens to radio shows and podcasts about language things it's really depressing to hear old people who devoted their life to the studies of languages being pushed out of their field by meme kids with their shit degrees who degrade the quality of everything they touch instantly

also underrated

>Doesn't Britain, USA, Canada, Australia etc have their own board who evaluates what words should be part of the official dictionary and what words are temporary (a decade or two).

yes
you found me out
it's me
i do that
i am the ultimate arbiter of the english language
ask me anything

>weak sauce
I can't even remember the last time I've heard or seen someone say this.

I dunno even oxford has some shit in it nowadays and their fml dictionaries are garbage.

That is.. what the fuck are you even talking about. Do you like, have no idea how academia works? Because this is basically the opposite of reality

>Binge-watch is a new word
>implying that needs to be a new word as the two words "binge" and "watch" already have meanings in which put together mean the exact same things as "Binge-watch"

How do you pronunce aluminum and schedual

bingwatch has its own connotations and meanings. dictionaries are idiomatic. please stop being so fucking stupid

>bix nood will become a word in your lifetime

"All those questions regarding pronunciation of words"
Where? In your English classes when you learned the fucking language?

fucking jesus christ its like the most exposure any of you have had to linguistics was looking up swear words in the dictionary

which admittedly, is fun, but still shut the fuck up you're so stupid holy shit

Whoops wrong user

How do you pronounce aluminum and schedual

>Mariam-Webster and Tyrone

who decides what is or isn't a word but the people speaking the language?

I don't get bingewatch anyway
We already had marathon no?

We have lots of concepts that can be referred to with completely different words fucking oh my god you even used Marathon for fucks sake

where have you been? the memes are in control now

says the fake country

This is why the west deserves to burn

it makes more sense then most languages you over cooked waffle

Such as?

To binge on something, is to excessively consume or indulge in.

Watch is to look at or observe attentively over a period of time.

So when the definition of Binge-watch is to excessively observe a television program or online video, how exactly is the definition different than the two different words?

>7+ posts
>all insulting
How triggered can you get

because i'm a drunk linguistics phd and i have to teach a room full of people just as dumb as you this shit in 30 mintues

>look up words and phrase on urban dictionary to see what the hell kids are talking about
>almost all of them are sex related

Fucking teenagers man.

autists on the internet

not that i really hold any contempt for my students just most are there for that Easy A or whatever, only a very small minority of them are truly interested in the subject and its honestly grating and painful

What course?

just a 101 thing. gotta start buildin up to tenure you know

>linguistics phd
Well you should have expected this
If you're really serious about language I can respect that but I know too many meme degree faggots to respect linguistics students in general

i genuinely have no idea what you mean by meme degree. you have dutch disease but its shitposting instead of a single resource economy dont you

Guess that explains why different dictionaries give me different results on some words. They all use their own judgment.

So which ones are the most influential if I want to see "how official" a word like humblebrag is?.

Yeah Intro would be a pain to teach. What's your research focus?

Meme degree
A degree that students who have no goal aim for in an attempt to get an easy college degree

Belgium's a fake country, so you have no room to talk shit.

Merriam Websters is still pretty much the bog standard dictionary in the US. Oxford is okay too, though

Both are descriptivist. You aren't going to find any dictionary-related person saying you must follow the rules, in fact, they'll say the opposite.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ai_VHZq_7eU

They do some really fun videos on prescriptivist misconceptions of language. Do yourself a favor and watch them

look at noam chomsky regurgitate leftist talking points
linguistics has become cancer

No, just drowning in a pool of insanity.

sociolinguistics. i'm the scary marxist professor you're afraid of

shut uppppppppppppp you are so fucking stupid shut up

You will not be raked today

i'll fucking show you some universal grammar and by universal grammar i mean im going to shove you off a bridge

Fuck off huemonkey. Portuguese is the third ugliest language on the planet.

t. talks like a nog

i'm very likely whiter than you are but also who cares, i'm 33. i speak like other 25-35 year olds.

>ENGLISH DOESNT HAVE A LANGUAGE ACADEMY LIKE FRENCH OR SPANISH
How can we get one of those? We need one.

No we do not and it won't happen ever

>getting blasted in the morning before work

Get your life sorted out before you wind up on a court card dumbass.

>English
>Merriam-Webster
choose one

Language academies are bound for instability
The Belgians appereantly hate us for enforcing language standards on them

>youtube.com/watch?v=Ai_VHZq_7eU [Remove]
>They do some really fun videos on prescriptivist misconceptions of language
Great! Now you have me confused on how to use the word "literally".
Guess I watch the rest too and then I will have no word left to use.

Yet the best

English is confusing but a very fun language. Check out this concept, it'll probably blow your mind:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-antonym

If it's not oxford, it's not official.

I'm FINE its okay I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow anyway

>25 posts by this id
Be more mad