Is anybody interested in reading some quotations about Adolf Hitler's life in World War 1?

Is anybody interested in reading some quotations about Adolf Hitler's life in World War 1?

Go on

On Adolf celebrating the beginning of the War

>"Hitler [...] fondly looked back on the weekend the war had broken out. For him, it had been the best weekend ever: 'I am not ashamed to acknowledge today that I was carried away by the enthusiasm of the moment [...] and I sank down upon my knees and thanked Heaven out of the fullness of my heart for the favour of having been permitted to live in such a time.'"

On Adolf's regiment

>"The List Regiment [...] did not consists of cheery volunteers like Hitler but of a medley of half-fit men, formed in a last ditch attempts by the German armed forces to scramble together an army big enough to knock out France before the anticipated war with Russia."

On further background of Adolf's regiment

>"As their poor equipment made blatantly clear, Weisgerber and Hitler were in a regiment that was, and would continue to be, not very high up the pecking order in the Bavarian army."

go on user

OP here. The quotations are in vaguely chronological order.

On Adolf's reasons for joining the army

>"On a sounder basis, we can state that Hitler put on a soldier's tunic in 1914 because he believed he could help make Germany great, and in 1939 he repeated the act because he believed that he alone could make Germany great."

On Adolf's regiment training before joining the War

>"If anybody had thought that young Hitler and the List Regiment were ready to go into battle when Ludwig III had inspected the regiment, any such hopes were crushed on the Lechfeld. Hitler even whined about how strenuous it had been to get to the Lech Valley: 'As I told you,' Hitler wrote to Anna Popp, the wife of his landlord in Munich, 'we left Munich on Saturday. We were on our feet from 6.30 a.m. until 5 p.m. and during the march we took part in a major [exercise], all in pouring rain. We were quartered in Alling. I was put in the stables and I was wet through. Needless to say I could not sleep a wink.'"

On Adolf arriving in Lille (France)

>"Occupied by the Germans since 12 October, 'Lille, and in particular the central station, was a terrible sight,' noted Father Norbert in his diary. 'The entire train station was a shambles. The wounded lay everywhere. 1,200 houses were said to have been destroyed by the bombardment [...]. There were burnt-out gables and smoking piles of rubble everywhere, along with crying and begging women and children, and withdrawn, sullen men.'"

Good thread, keep going.

On you go, user

On the task appointed to Adolf's regiment

>"The task of the List Regiment was temporarily to join the 54th [...] Reserve Division and support the German assault on the British positions around the Flemish city of Ypres [...] in an effort to break through to Ypres [...] a successful breakthrough at Ypres would have allowed the Germans to win what was to become known as the Race to the Sea."

On Adolf's first night in the warzone

>"'I couldn't sleep, alas. [...] Just behind us a German howitzer battery fired two shells over our heads into the dark night every 15 minutes. They kept screaming and whistling through the air, followed by two dull thuds in the distance. Everyone of us listened for them. We had never heard anything like it before. And while we lay pressed one against the other whispering and looking up into the starry sky, the distant noise drew closer and closer, and the individual thuds of the guns came faster and faster until finally they merged into one continuous roar. Each one of us could feel his blood pound in his veins."

On Adolf's regiment shooting at a plane

>"On 28 October, the troops were still in exuberant spirits. That day, they also tried to shoot down a plane, not realizing that the plane at which they were aiming was in fact a German one."

This is a good thread.

C O M F Y
O
M
F
Y

On the List Regiment's first battle

>"In the early hours of 29 October, 349 men of the List Regiment woke up for the last time in their lives. Awakening to a still dark night, they marched silently for four hours towards the flickering light of burning villages in the combat zone. [...] As dawn approached, the men still could not see. They were surrounded by heavy fog, with a visibility of less than 40 metres. The troops went into battle still wearing their cotton hats and rucksacks. [...] Hitler and his comrades [...] could hardly make out where their opponents were. [...] Not only was the vision of the men List Regiment impaired by the heavy fog but the landscape, dotted with hedges, fields, little forests, farm buildings, and the buildings of the village, made it well nigh impossible to see the British. As Weisgerber wrote home, in order to advance they had to squeeze through holes in thick hedges across dead bodies."

On Adolf and his comrades reacting to their first battle

>"Hitler would later claim that, as shrapnel was exploding around his comrades, they shouted 'a while "Hurray" [...] in response to this first greeting of Death'. Weisgerber reported: 'It started up again right away, with "Hurrays" across the fields.' Hitler's claim is also supported by a diary entry of Count Bassenheim, who recorded of the first shelling in his diary that 'the troops enjoy themselves and joke about the grenades that come down everywhere around us.'"

On the List Regiment's first attack

>"The men of the regiment recklessly charged forward. As they crossed the British trenches they failed to check whether the trenches had already been cleared, which resulted in British soldiers shooting them from both the front and from behind. [...] A British machine-gun squad based inside the windmill of Gheluvelt had a field day guning down members of the List Regiment."

On the List Regiment being attacked by fellow Germans

>"The British troops who were trying to thwart the advance of the List Regiment on 29 October received unsolicited help from other German units: many men of the List Regiment were killed by 'friendly fire'. The reason for this was that other German troops had mistaken the men of RIR 16 as British troops because of their grey cotton hats."

BUMP

nice tread bump

Bump

On the soldiers of the List Regiment attacking a curious enemy

>"In the wet and dark night, the men of the List Regiment started to see enemy soldiers everywhere. One night, dark shadows were moving slowly towards them. The men of RIR 16 sensed an imminent enemy attack. Soon, they sent a formidable barrage of fire at the shadows. Yet strangely enough not a single shot was returned. They were soon to find out why. As the sun rose the following morning, the areas ahead of their front was littered with dead bodies - the dead bodies of a herd of cattle that had gone astray during the night."

On the aftermath of the battle for Gheluvelt

>"Gheluvelt was now under German control, but the German objected to take Ypres was never to materialize. [...] in fact the regiment had been reduced by roughly 75 per cent from approximately 3,000 to 725, and the number of officers from 25 to 4."
_________

On the effect of the fighting on Adolf

>"By the end of the 1st Ypres it was still unclear whether the experience of seeing hundreds of their comrades killed or injured by British servicemen was to lead to a brutilization and politicization of the men of RIR 16. At the height of the Second World War, Hitler, at any rate, would claim that it was this experience that made him start to believe 'that life is a constant horrible struggle'."

The only people that voted for Hitler are suburban and rural retards. All the city people voted for Otto Wels.

>The only people who voted for Trump are suburban amd rural rednecks.

>All the city people voted for Clinton.

On Adolf being made a dispatch runner

>"Eleven days after arriving at the front, on 9 November, Hitler was made a dispatch runner and was assigned to regimental headquarters. [...] The men at the regimental headquarters were rapidly becoming an ersatz family for Private Hitler. He displayed steadfast and often courageous loyalty towards his superiors."

On Adolf reportedly saving his commander's life

>"in an attack that would cost the lives of 22 men, Hitler and his fellow dispatch runner Anton Bachmann saw how the List Regiment's new commander, [...] Philipp Engelhardt, had foolishly stepped out out of his cover on the edge of the forest. [...] Hitler and Bachmann dramatically leapt forward, covering Engelhardt's body and taking him back to safety."

On Adolf's reaction to the Christmas truce of 1914

>"Hitler certainly did not participate in the Christmas Truce. For one, his role win the support staff of regimental HQ would have rendered any participation almost impossible. For another, if we can believe the 1940 testimony of Hitler's fellow dispatch runner Heinrich Lugauer, Hitler had abhorred the Christmas Truce and was enraged by the behaviour of the men of his regiment."

tl;dr he was a beta bitch

I've read this before

Keep doing God's work, OP

>eternal anglo

Holy fuck LOOK AT THE OP OF THIS THREAD YOU UTTER FUCKING IDIOT

Thats the joke
Waste of trips
Waste of life

On the Day of Retribution

>"it looked desolate, bleak, and miserable. The knee-deep water in the trenches and the dugouts was hated by everyone but the insects who laid their eggs in it. By March, the regiment had to battle an infestation of flies. In spite of this hardship, Private Hitler remained steadfast in his support of the war: 'But nothing on earth can ever shift us from here,' he wrote to Joseph Popp: 'Here we shall hang on until Hindenburg has softened Russia up. Then comes the day of retribution!'."

On a fellow dispatch runner Brandmayer describing Adolf's bravery

>"Stones and iron fragments whizzed above our heads. We bent low, racing across open country. I could scarcely lift myself from the ground any more [and] still Hitler urged me onwards, onwards! I cannot understand how Hitler could look around, with no cover .[...] while calling to me: ‘Brandmoari, get up!’ He seemed without nerves. . . Sweat dug deep rivulets into our faces. More falling than running we reached the command dugout. Paralyzing tiredness weighed like lead on my burning limbs. I threw off my helmet and webbing and sunk dead tired onto my bunk. I expected Adolf to do the same, but how wrong I was! As I turned round, I saw him sitting near the exit, helmet on head, buckled up and waiting for the next order. ‘You’re crazy!’ I cried out angrily. ‘How would you know’, was his prompt reply. There was no man under his uniform, only a skeleton [...] He had an iron nature"

On Adolf's relatively comfy role in the military

>"Private Hitler's assignment as dispatch runner for regimental HQ was very dangerous, as was any assignment in his regiment. [...] Hitler, however, claimed that his job was not just very dangerous but that it was more dangerous than any other assignment in his regiments. [...] The reality of Hitler's war existence was rather different. [...] in places lie Fourmes, Private Hitler's domicile seemed like heaven to the soldiers of RIR 16."

On Adolf being praised by his superiors

>"Michael Schlehuber [...] was to declare: [...] 'I knew Hitler as a good soldier and an impeccable comrade. I never observed Hitler trying to shirk his duties or holding back from danger. I was within the division from deployment to the return home, and I never heard anything unfavourable about Hitler even later on. [...] Politically, I stand at the other end of the spectrum from Hitler and am giving this opinion only because I think highly of Hitler as a war comrade."

On Adolf as a private individual

>"A man who needed an audience as much as companionship, he jealously guarded privacy and personal space. Those who came reasonably close were less than entranced with his holier-than-thou prudery and judgemental attitude. As late as 1918, he was still treated as a virgin and his guarded responses to teasing suggest he was; his attitude to women earned him the nickname ‘women hater’."

On Adolf's love of cleanliness

>"Although his uniform hung around his frame, both uniform and frame were as clean as he could make them; his obsession with hygiene was a byword. Those who failed to match his standards were treated with contempt. He christened one soldier the ‘human dunghill’"

Shill my thread up senpai

"Be careful of what you brand your enemies, for if it suits them, they will adopt it as a reality." - Adolf Hitler

Hitler was a prophet, he knew his ideology would rise from the ashes on a global scale

listnan

On Adolf and his comrades taking leave in Lille

>"During the relatively quiet period between New Year and the summer of 1916 [...] it became routine for Hitler and his immediate comrades to go into Lille every time they received leave. [...] on trips to Lille that did not feature visits to the theatre, Hitler and his comrades went their separate ways. As the others drank away their sorrows, Hitler walked the streets [...]."

On how Adolf spent his time in Lille

>"Hitler sat down on walls or benches and took out his sketch pad. As he sketched streets scenes in the same style he had drawn postcards in Munich prior to the war, some of Hitler's comrades graduated from local bars to the brothels that had been mushrooming since the beginning of the German occupation. [...] Hitler [...] was dismissive of soldiers who were sleeping with prostitutes or local women"

On a fellow dispatch runner asking Adolf about women

>"Hitler was a letter from my girlfriend and asked in a good-humored tone: "Brandmoari, has Trutschnelda written again?" "Good guess", I retorted. "Have you never wanted a girl?" I asked. "Look Brandmoari, I've never found time for such a thing," Hitler replied. "And I don't want to," he continued. "You're a strange one, Adi! I'll never understand you," I replied. "There's no hope for you". "How would it be if I found a mam'selle for you," someone asked. "I'd kill myself from shame rather than make love to a French woman", Hitler leapt excitedly into the discussion. The effect of the moment was raucous laughter. "Listen to the monk!" cried one. Hitler's face became furious."