Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xCwY36a19aQ
youtube.com/user/InspiringPhilosophy/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=4C5pq7W5yRM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass
youtube.com/watch?v=2hQAi0u5Rs0
arxiv.org/abs/0704.2529
arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047
physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2007/apr/20/quantum-physics-says-goodbye-to-reality
youtube.com/watch?v=wQCze5jbC0g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he defines away free will

You're free to fuck my ass, user.

>he could only have used that shit waifu in his post

>he defines free will so it does not conflict with determinism

Genuinely who cares about your futile musings. Grow the fuck up all of you.

Are you upset that your elders lied to you about free will, kid?

>all those guys suddenly don't have free will

That Negroid head shape.

they never had it to begin with.

youtube.com/watch?v=xCwY36a19aQ

>When your countrymen make abhorrent posts

>he's not a calvinist.

>he believes in fate or religion

SHE IS WHIIIIIIIIIITE!

>Free will is literally self evident
>Instead of acknowledging that the only thing they are capable of experiencing objectively, fedoras pretend that they are automatons because the universe has to be deterministic in order for their gay religion to be valid

Since you don't have free will, getting blown the fuck out this hard shouldn't bother you.

>he believes in a predetermined universe and still dosent smoke himself stupid

>not being a Christian
Lmao at your life

>believing some jew walked on water

I think they colored her eyes and hair that way to normalize Negroes. This is where Anime is better since they actually use real Japanese head shapes.

The Asian totally misrepresented the argument.
Free will is an illusion, wouldn't you agree?

GOD CONTROLS YOU. FEAR HIM AND REPENT.

>Actually believe there's no such thing as free will
>start thinking you're autistic
>start believing you're determined to be autistic
>accept it as fact
>act autistic for the rest of your life
>win.jpg

Are you trying to post? Lay off the quotes.
You only think free will is self evident because it is an illusion and you don't understand it.
So you worship a Jew who wanted to you to love your neighbour and turn the other cheek?

>some Jew
>implying He wasn't the creator and sustainer of all things
Come on mate, are you even trying to seek out truth? I'll pray for you.

No he didn't. Watch the whole video

The sun will explode in X number of years, it's a determinate system based off of a finite list of laws.

An atom may resolve up or down and a neuron may fire or not, this process is completely unpredictable.

Basically, both.

Stefan, you failed to recognise this when this idea was posed to you.

>hurr determinism means that I can tell you what you're gonna do forever
Determinism means that everything needs to have a cause, so our lives are a chain of cause and effect.

anyone that did that shit to Job isnt a god i would want to follow.
satanists got it more correct that christians

>tfw to intelligent to believe in free will

>An atom may resolve up or down and a neuron may fire or not, this process is completely unpredictable
That does not mean it can not possibly be predicted according to observable laws and mechanics.

>implying i even do
everything that you are is shaped by your experiences and your genes which were themselves shaped by their experiwnces and their inherited genes
the only way to have free will is to exist in a vacuum with no corporeal body to be influenced on

Why is she so smug?

How can anyone believe in Jew religions? At least there's objective evidence for Kek.

You do realize the story of Job is just a story right? It was never supposed to be interpreted as a historical account but a tale that imparts wisdom.

Your brain is a series of electrical impulses that are also subject to cause and effect.

Depends on what you want to define as free will. I don't have the will to do anything I physically want like walk on water or fly, but I can think whatever I want, and at any time, I can stop my existence should I so choose.

If I want off this ride, I can get off at any time, but there is no guarantee I'll be allowed back on.

>he believes in free wifi

Just because that's possible doesn't mean it's not infinitely more likely that it's truly random and truly evidence humans do have free will. Much of quantum mechanics is just statistical mathematics, it certainly seems like it could be truly random..

How is this hard? Some things are fate, most important things (to humans) are choice.

No, those are all subject to cause and effect.

Because there is evidence. Only those that do not pursue the truth and would rather be intellectually dishonest and believe a lie will not find it. Here are some good videos if you are interested. Also a list of books that are useful.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

How is it more likely? How can something be random in a universe determined by cause? You just haven't uncovered the mechanics. Humans can't make free choices.

Forgot the link.

youtube.com/user/InspiringPhilosophy/videos

Determined choices are still your choices.

Why can't we observe your Jew god, then?

Did you freely choose to hold that opinion or was it predetermined?

How are they your choices? Define your.

Predetermined, obviously.

Explain to me how you could "see" something that exists outside of the universe. Something that Is and always was before space and time were a thing.

The illusion of it is good enough.

Sorry senpai but i was predetermined to believe in free will

>he believes in 'you', 'your, 'him' or 'me' etc.

You can't, so you can't know it exists. How can you worship some Jew that doesn't likely exist.

What, thinking whatever I want? To a certain extent, yes, it is. Like, I can't see in every spectrum of light because humans don't have enough cones in their eyes for that, nor can I do complex mathematical equations because I don't know how. I'll admit that, but my point of view, the fact that I can observe the world around me and come to my own conclusions means I have free will. If you believe that there's actually a set path for everyone, or that there's actually a puppet master pulling everyone's strings, then I can't really argue with you, but to me, because I can think, and because I am both aware of myself, and aware of the things I can/cannot do, then I have free will. There are things I am not aware of that I do not think about, which you could consider not having free will because I cannot make fully accurate observations on everything at all times because I do not know everything, but unless I'm God, then of course I don't.

Is that the argument you're making, or something else?

It was predetermined at the inception of the universe, one planck second before the big bang

You can't know that that will always be the case.

>You can't, so you can't know it exists
Not empirically you can't. At least that very being.

>How can you worship some Jew that doesn't likely exist
Because there are a lot of philosophical arguments for God and a lot of evidence that suggests Christianity to be real.

>inception of the universe
Was the inception of the universe predetermined?

Suppose I'll just rape OP
Not like I have any choice.

>he allows the knowledge that free will does not exist to impact his life in any meaningful way

What I mean is that even though everything is determined in the naturalism worldview, you are still the one causing things to happen.

Definition 1. Free will is one's ability to cause their own future.

Definition 2. Free will is one's ability to choose any number of different futures.

I'd argue under definition 1 free will exists, but under definition 2 free will doesn't exist.

>posting worst girl
God damn user you have such bad taste.

Sorry, I was predetermined to know that it is the case

it's a lightning illusion
lightning because it is powerful and vibrant of an illusion which makes it more easily believable
>but i have the power to believe
and that power and everything about how you use it was determined by the outcome of your existence through the probability decision generator

Quantum physics in indeterministic.

youtube.com/watch?v=4C5pq7W5yRM

>the fact that I can observe the world around me and come to my own conclusions means I have free will.
The illusion of free will.
>If you believe that there's actually a set path for everyone, or that there's actually a puppet master pulling everyone's strings, then I can't really argue with you, but to me, because I can think, and because I am both aware of myself, and aware of the things I can/cannot do, then I have free will.
Nothing can move without a cause, so every impulse in your brain is caused. You do not think independently of the laws of physics.

>nothing can move without a cause
That's also an argument for the existence of a divine creator, you know.

You can leave out that evidence claim, you can't back it up.
If by you you mean the deterministic factors that give you the illusion of free thought then you're right.

What evidence would you like me to provide for you?

That's reasonable as long as you don't let it affect how you see the world and make decisions. If there are circumstances that we literally change in the foreseeable future then there is no point in thinking about them. Like, the Sun will eventually explode (or so we are to believe) but there's nothing we can do about that, and it's not going to happen for a really, really long time, so there's no point in thinking about it or ever making decisions centered around it (unless they're related to it).

I'm a fan of technological integration. My hope is that we'll eventually be able to completely abandon our fleshy bodies and become fully robotic so as to eliminate the issues that come with biology like disease, fatigue, niggers, mental illness, and most of politics. Hopefully we'll find a way to retain human creativity and some personality so we don't lose the spark that's gotten us where we are.

>Because there are a lot of philosophical arguments for God
Okay I'm on board

>a lot of evidence that suggests Christianity to be real.
hahahaha

deism best ism

nice politics thread guys

talking politics without philosophy is a waste of time

We merely can't observe its mechanics.
It's a law of physics used to claim an unmoved mover, but it is wrong in using the laws of the universe to a mover supposedly independent of the universe.
Something tangible.

Free will is epistemic, therefore even if the universe were deterministic, it would be irrelevant. The ability to choose between two equal circumstances is also proof of free will.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass
Go away, newfag.

>tangible
kalam, contingency, motion arguments are bretty good

nothing more tangible than deduction based on fundamental truths you've observed about reality

but you didn't make those choices on your own, you were influenced from the very beginning, you have no free will only the illusion of free will derp

>The ability to choose between two equal circumstances
Yeah that's impossible

You aren't choosing, your neural activity is deterministic. This can be observed.

Do you know what tangible means?

>perceptible by touch
if that's your standard you're deliberately being unfair

What evidence would convince you?

>We merely can't observe its mechanics.
Except we can. Look into the experiments. They BTFO of Bell's theorem. You're arguing off a presupposition that quantum mechanics doesn't support by assuming the universe is deterministic and then claiming no free will can exist under a deterministic universe.

>Something tangible
Everything in the material world is tangible. What evidence supporting Christianity would you like?

Hmm, good response. But, even if He as an unmoved mover exists outside of the universe, He would have been the one to create the rules and laws of that universe. What's to stop a mover from acting on a universe He created?

I'll put it this way, the rules and physics calculations inside a video game don't apply to me, even though I exist outside of the game and act on it. And according to all the laws of the game, the type of actions I make are impossible. Why do the laws of the game universe necessarily have to apply to me in order for me to act on the game?

Divine intervention, a miracle, or personal experience of the Christian God.

Historical evidence isn't enough. A video wouldn't even be enough with today's technology.

If I wanted evidence of a bendable steel alloy I would ask to see and touch it or at least see others do it. Why is this different?
Which experiments?

Clarification: there could be some argument which proves Christianity is true, I just can't think of it.

>neural activity is deterministic
Do you have any research papers to support that for the human brain? I have been researching determinism/materialism/dualism for a philosophy class.

So you don't base your beliefs off of deduction? Everything must be directly observed?

>he believes in free willy

>your neural activity is deterministic.
No it isn't you fucking retard

That's not really "empirical evidence" though so how about a philosophical argument for the possibility of miracles?

youtube.com/watch?v=2hQAi0u5Rs0

The experiments referenced in the video.

arxiv.org/abs/0704.2529
arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047
physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2007/apr/20/quantum-physics-says-goodbye-to-reality

>He would have been the one to create the rules and laws of that universe. What's to stop a mover from acting on a universe He created?
I think you're misunderstanding. The argument of the unmoved mover states that it is necessary that the unmoved mover due to the nature of the laws of the universe. But if the unmoved mover is independent of the laws of the universe he is no longer necessary. Therefore, anything could be the cause of the universe not subjected to its laws. So now the unmoved mover is reduced to an unnecessary addition, which Ockham's razor shaves away.

*waggles buckethat*

Seriously people? Here. Enjoy this, I know I did.
>youtube.com/watch?v=wQCze5jbC0g

That's what I'm asking, I'm not understanding the jump between the mover being necessary and then being unnecessary because he exists independently of our physical laws. Why does his independence of natural laws preclude him from being able to act upon a system of natural laws?

Determinism is the biggest jew lie

I know I can make decisions. The science is in direct contradiction to human experience therefore it is wrong

Okay I think i understand now, it could be ANYTHING independent of our universe that caused it, not necessarily an intelligent creator.

This desu