How to convert

The idea of converting to Christianity, to someone like myself who is very much outside the varied and diverse Christian communities, someone not raised in a religious household, is a confusing proposition.

You must understand I feel very much on the outside looking in. I am not being intentionally difficult or contrary when I say that I really would not even know which particular flavor of Christianity to subscribe to. Many of them all contradict the other, meme on the other, deny the other.

Knowing only a little about the long long history of Christianity, my initial instinct would be to look for the source, or the oldest form of the religion. So knowing only what I know I would first think of Catholicism.

What is your opinion on how to guide someone like myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HueFqvz1oDU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're serious, OP, I'd be happy to have a conversation about Christianity.

yes that's exactly why I made the thread.

start reading the bible, start with the new testament

Like you mentioned, the Catholic church was the first and oldest church, but there were critical issues with the theology as well as the Catholic Church's influence that was used to control people/tax. That's where the German monk Martin Luther comes in. He cleaned up the the theology putting God's word first over the word of men. Anything after Lutheranism is just watered-down Christianity. OP, I'd recommend starting with Lutheranism.

Thanks for your great effort in answering my carefully explained predicament. Just kidding, now I have to ask

"why start with the new testament"

Thanks for this explanation. I wonder if anyone will come in here and tell you that you are wrong. I am curious. Other threads are more popular at the moment though it seems

Well, the fact that you're taking these steps on your own is a good start. Congratulations.

To start, what are some of your concerns? What has lead you to seek Christ? I wouldn't want to guide you in any particular direction if you don't understand what you're looking for. And while you may be interested in the oldest and the traditional and the ritual aspect of it, that's great, you may not agree with some of the teachings or principles of that aspect.

>lol what has lead you to seek Christ
You need to re-read the part where I said I am totally outside your community. When you say that, to me it sounds terribly silly and obnoxious, I don't even believe in God.

Which Christianity is the real one?

Hmmm...So this is a bait thread then? To start a Protestant/Catholic/Gnostic fight?

Not at all. Re-read the original post. I don't even know what the fuck "seeking christ means". It used to be the entire occupation of religious men to CONVERT others, to show them the way. You don't seem to be trying very hard anymore. Maybe you've saved enough souls. I am interested in Christianity. Re-read the OP. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Which Bible translation?
Which Church?
How could I go against the Church of Rome and deny the Pope for instance..

The New Testament contains the stories and words of Jesus Christ. This is important in knowing who and what Jesus Christ is about.

And take The Book of John, he wrote to Jews. His gospel was written to prove to Jews that Jesus was the Messiah. If John could convince Jews, those same who denied and opposed the Christ, and had him crucified then he could convince others.

It is important to read New Testament first rather than Old Testament because Old Testament is simply about God trying to get his people to stop sinning, but they cannot do it. Jesus Christ is the new covenant and shows us the way.

This explanation is good thanks for that

You need a proper interpretive lens in order to understanding the meanings of the metaphors and traditions that make up Christianity, and in order to acquire that lens you need to understand ancient ideas that inspired Judaism and later Christianity, such as Egyptian, Babylonian, and Greek mythology, Babylonian astrology, ancient numerology (particularly Greek and Hebrew), and it wouldn't hurt to study Hermeticism, Alchemy, and Gnosticism.

Without having at least a basic understanding of those things you're going to see Christianity as the modern world (particularly Protestantism) does, which is like a dead and hollow shell of the true religion. If all that sounds too complicated to go after, then just try to approach Christianity from an artistic/philosophical perspective. Try to understand the original meanings of the traditions of the Catholic church (i.e the Eucharist, mass, baptism, etc.) in a metaphorical sense.

That's what religions fundamentally are - humanity's attempt to explain the vastly complex nature of reality through narrative and philosophical means. Really, the Freemasons and their ancient equivalents (mystery schools of Greece, Persia, Egypt, Babylon, etc.) hold the keys to understanding every religion at their deepest possible levels, but since the internet there's actually no need to go join them to learn if you have a diligent mind, a hungry soul, and the humility to accept your present ignorance at any given time.

After you've developed a sort of logical foundation you should read the Bible. If you don't want to go through the whole thing at least read the New Testament. You can read them first if you want to give you something to reference as you begin to learn the intricacies, like how you come to understand the meaning of The Matrix several years after actually watching it, but don't let your confusion discourage you if you take that route.

Once you've done all that, you should join the Catholic Church.

>Which Bible translation?
Depends on your church
>Which Church?
Depends what you believe, I'm sure there is some generic quiz type things which will tell you your denomination.
However, Roman Catholic and Orthodox are the main churches, all the rest are protestants.
>How could I go against the Church of Rome and deny the Pope for instance..
Respect the position, not the man, if you need to go against the Pope.

Ah thanks for the interesting post. I see, without the lense I will see Christianity like this guy haha

Read CS Lewis, especially Screwtape, Mere Christianity and Pilgrim's Regress.

Another thing to add about the bible is that, it's not simply a book, like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.
Its meant so that you can read a passage and you might have something going on in your life, there's a chance you can read a passage and it speaks to you directly because of the said thing happening in your life.

why? you fucking baboon

your analogy does not make any sense, I could read passages from Harry Potter and apply them to my life in the same way. I do not know what you are trying to convey

This is a great summary of religion in general. I started reading the Bible with the understanding that it's mostly allegorical.

That being said, it might be valuable to formalize Kekism as a branch of Christianity.

Most Lutheran denominations (and mainline protestant denominations in general) are, for lack of a better term, cucked. They've given up the culture wars, and focused entirely on forgiveness and openness.

Sorry, I don't quite understand it myself, but it's how they read the Bible in Alexandria, Egypt during the Hellenistic and Roman periods. I'm sure someone could do a better job at explaining.

I would suggest that you call a church and arrange a meet up with the priest.

Personally I would suggest that you visit a Catholic or Orthodox church.

The CS Lewis books mentioned here are good, too. Very interesting.

Mai nigger.

try to find a church who apply Traditionnal Catholicism

I agree with everything this user said except one thing...

Sola Fide, OP. Sola Fide.

Sola Fide is a heresy that is not taught by the church fathers

I guess my hunch about Catholicism has been confirmed by most posters in this thread. What's the difference between Catholicism and Orthodoxy?

what does Sola Fide mean

By the way, This might provide a decent introduction into how you should approach religious concepts in general.

youtube.com/watch?v=HueFqvz1oDU

It's long but nothing compared to the journey you're talking about taking.

Maybe. If you're a Cathocuck.

By faith alone.

Great Catholic posts so far so I'm just going to throw in a recommendation of Chesterton books (if you don't feel like starting with Orthodoxy, jump to The Everlasting Man and then return to Orthodoxy to see how he reached those positions).

And somewhat this: I don't think you can truly understand what being a Catholic means till you attend a Tridentine mass.

It is the heresy that states that since men cannot save themselves, God will do it for them by making men turn to him regardless of their free will.

The "Fide" in Sola Fide refers to something passive, like receiving something. This logically leads to Calvinism as the true sect that accurately believe it

No one in early christianity taught this heresy

More like fact.

Protestants hate the early church fathers

Christianity is a dark occult psy op designed to keep people as retarded plebs, while they profit off of understanding will manifestation.

Sun worship pantheistic erisinism is the true way. Hitler was a sun worshiper, so was the ancient and wise pharaoh Akhenaten.

The only thing the saturnic death cult people like the rothschilds or the mason higher ups fear is sun worshipers.

Take this for example to understand sola fide

yeah but I want to get some catholic pussy

Rightly so because the early Church fathers corrupted Christ and his teachings for their own profit. The only people more foundationally corrupt than Cathocucks are the Jews. Someday you'll grow up and come to that conclusion like all intelligent Christians.

>What is your opinion on how to guide someone like myself?

Lick a Muslim's feet. That's what the Christians do.

Orthodoxy if you don't want to be subject to a cuck-Pope (though there's hope that the next one will be conservative). My only suggestion would be to look around, read the Bible, and attend services.

Assmad protestants hate the fathers because they show how illegitimate proddies are

What is the difference between Orthodoxy and Catholicism?

Its possible he can't bring a bible into his home because of persecution. I would just read it online. Here is the Way to Christ

1 Understand God's Holy Nature.
Google it
2 Seek to understand God's plan
Google it

3. Understand who could save you from spiritual death. Because we are all born sinful, we are unable to please a perfect God. However, God sent His son Jesus as your representative and as your ransom from being captive.
John 3:16-17 (NIV): "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

4. Admit that you have sinned. It is a prerequisite to accepting Christ. Once you understand that we are and you are a sinner and that all have sinned, turn to the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness by repenting of your sins.

5. Profess Jesus as your savior. Romans 10:13, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Say, "Father in Heaven, I believe that Jesus died for my sins." And God will impart eternal life to your spirit.

6. Understand that Jesus said to receive or accept Him we must receive whom He sent.[1](John13:20) That is the Holy Spirit [2] (John15:26)

7. Remember to ask for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not come automatically when a person believes but Jesus says everyone who asks receives (Luke11:9-13)

8. Taste and see that the gifts of the Lord are good. Believe that God loves you; He has shown this by giving His Son to face your punishment and die in your place as your sacrifice for all you've done wrong and for all your sins.

9 Talk to God in your own words. There is no protocol to follow in order to talk to God. God listens to your prayers even if you do not say them.

10 Be baptized in accordance with the New Testament.

Please see a local priest/pastor once you have decided which side you prefer to go further.

Faith alone. It's the basic precept of Protestantism along with sola scriptura - scripture alone. The idea was introduced by Martin Luther and basically means that salvation is not reached by doing good works or following any particular tradition (Catholic, namely), but rather by having faith in Jesus and reading the scripture to answer your questions and concerns.

There are countless people more intelligent than I arguing on both sides of this debate, but my input is this:

Without a particular tradition the scripture can be interpreted any number of ridiculous way (see Kent Hovind), and only one interpretation is correct. I'm talking less about salvation in a metaphysical sense and more about the ability to understand the true doctrine behind Christ and His teachings. But by all means, seek the best arguments from both sides and see what makes sense to you.

Christianity has consistently undermined the authority of oppressive and tyrannical regimes.

Time to get updated.

Christianity is dead.

Islam is da new sheet.

I feel you OP, I was in the same position about a year ago. I didn't really believe in God but I wasn't an atheist in my disbelief, mostly just indifferent. Seeking God to me was the realization that the world is not chaotic. Things happen for a reason, there is a grand scheme of things that has been planned, and I don't mean that in the protestant predestination sense.
As for which branch to adhere to, it's entirely up to you, it's entirely on how you interpret the word of God and the teachings of Christ. If you want oldest I'd suggest Orthodoxy because the teachings and interpretations have not been changed to fit the cultural norms as is the case with Catholicism.

I seeked it and found Sola Fide made no sense whatsoever in the context of a deity that is presented as loving

DYK that the faith in sola fide is actually just something passive that comes because God mind controls you?

lol. This is a bait thread and yet here we are, yet again, arguing Catholic and Protestant. Oh well. I suppose it will never die.

See, OP, assmad Catholics will never let go how Luther utterly completely and forever BTTFO and exposed their corrupt, imbecilic theology.

Be Catholic if you want to be forever butthurt, OP. Literally and figuratively.

>hehe truth is subjective just believe whatever you want if it makes u feel good
fuck right off out of this thread please

this isn't a bait thread, you idiots are arguing with each other instead of converting me

Basically whether you believe that Peter started the papacy or whether the pope was to be the first among equals.

Orthodoxy has a more ancient form of worship. It's very strong, IMO. I can't say that I am a fan of the current Pope. I believe that he means well though but he's being too optimistic.

Btw, the pope is NOT always infallible. This is another area of disagreement between the two.

>Proddie can't even address the argument
>muh catholic butthurt
>the early church fathers are bullshit despite the fact that they preserved the tenets and scripture of faith to begin with but we will trash them since they contradict us
Proddie logic

I am showing you why the Protestant option should be in the trash

And I win

I don't even know what you're talking about. I am not following your arguments in the thread, I am ignoring them.

You can learn a lot from the orthodox Christian beliefs and the people who have followed it's teachings. It's remained pretty based since the start.

The Catholics split from the Orthodox about a thousand years ago (traditional date 1054 when they officiall anathamatized each other). Since then the Catholics have claimed to be the original Church while continually changing their beliefs and doctrines, while the Orthodox have maintained Orthodoxy, which is what the part of the world that is now Catholic used to believe.

In 1965, most of the Orthodox world lifted the anathemas of 1054 and are now aligning themselves with Catholics, generally falling over themselves to "modernize" and abandon Orthodoxy. However, there are still some bishops who are actually Orthodox, meaning that they maintain the same beliefs and practices as the Orthodox have always maintained.

You are a loser

Very good BUT When will you pay your debts to EU?

>I don't even believe in God.
Perhaps reading arguments for theism might help you with your decision on which religion to follow. If you believe there is a God out there, then certain implications that come from the argument for theism would eliminate many religions from your list. As for Christianity, it may help to start with a nondenominational approach, reading the bible and other sources as a history book, and until you have been touched with the Holy Spirit, then you can see which branch of Christianity you align with most.

In my opinion, denomination is not as important as your personal relationship with Christ. Good luck with your search for God, friend.

>Yet another Cathocuck who thinks he won an argument and provided an argument after offering zero argument other than the Cathocucks said this is what happened and so I spew back what the Cathocucks tell me rather than think for mysefl because they're Cathocucks and I'm Cathocuck so therefore I'm right and you're wrong, "lol omg so stupid."

If you believe in freedom, you're a Protestant. America was built on Protestantism and the Protestant work ethic. If you want to be a cuck and a zombie and just listen and repeat and do what you're told, be a Cathocuck, OP.

Sure....you mean like the oppression of kings and emperors who used Christianity for their own statesmen benefits?

Christians are such gullible fools.

Your so called "God" just so happens to defend the most corrupt and evil t hings in the world. Jews and statesmen.

If you really did your work you will see that the Reformers are trash

Jewish Question brought me back to Christ.

Just saying.
Evil is very much alive.

That's such an elementary understanding of what happened. Luther himself recognized the value of the Catholic tradition, but railed against the tyrannical state of the church in his time, arguing that it had become corrupt and no matter how valuable the tradition, following it should not be required to consider one a true Christian. He was arguing that works and tradition were not NECESSARY for salvation, not that they were corrupt at their very core.

This is what happens. A great and enlightening doctrine bursts onto the scene, it becomes organized and institutionalized, the institution becomes corrupt, the corruption is conflated with the original thing, and the original thing becomes lost to history. This is the story of every major religion ever.

That's what most Protestants do - conflate the corruption that infected the Catholic Church with the original Catholic theology itself. This is why Freemasons and other societies based on wisdom value secrecy so much - a secret doctrine is far more difficult to corrupt and kill.

Don't listen to this shit, OP. It's imbecilic.

1. In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

2. All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).

3. The Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

4. The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)

5. You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything).

6. Guide us to the Straight Way

7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).

1. Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi

2. Alhamdu lillahi rabbi al’alameena

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

5. Iyyaka na’budu wa-iyyaka nasta’eenu

6. Ihdina alssirata almustaqeema

7. Sirata allatheena an’amta ‘alayhim ghayri almaghdoobi ‘alayhim wala alddalleena

Except it wasn't. It was built on secular Enlightenment values which its founders based their nation upon.

The Protestant ethic can be seen in how the Puritans ravaged the lands and killed the locals

The worst part about it is the very person who made the whole Proddie Work ethic thesis says that Protestantism led to Atheism and leads to growing loss of human autonomy and contradicts itself

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

7. Sirata allatheena an’amta ‘alayhim ghayri almaghdoobi ‘alayhim wala alddalleena

2. All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).

4. The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)

5. You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything).

7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

Luther and Calvin are shown to be inadept at even going against scholastic theology. Any history book on them will tell you this. Even the renowned authority on Calvin, Richard Muller says this

More like the Roman empire and the Jewish establishment pre-collapse of Rome, but that's just the surface. What about the prevailing Christian ideals like liberty and individual sovereignty that toppled virtually every monarchy in Europe? Even when Christianity died it's ideals became so powerful that all of the Western world destroyed its monarchies to pursue them.

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

>1. In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

>1. In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

3. Alrrahmani alrraheemi

4. Maliki yawmi alddeeni

all the churches are fucked, really fucked..

In the new testament you will find the words of Christ and the doctrine that gentiles should follow, mostly put forth by Paul.

follow that

>1:1 بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

1:2 الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

1:3 الرَّحْمـنِ الرَّحِيمِ

1:4 مَـالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ

1:5 إِيَّاك نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

1:6 اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ

1:7 صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ

>1:1 بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ

1:2 الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ

1:3 الرَّحْمـنِ الرَّحِيمِ

1:4 مَـالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ

1:5 إِيَّاك نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

1:6 اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ

1:7 صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ

Mouhamadism is gnostic fake Christianity.

We all know the early church fathers are against Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide

Sola Fide is a Gnostic concept according to Irenaeus

Yeah, because a single religion and culture all across the globe with everyone quacking in Arabic and nothing else all the while pretty much everything pre-Islam having been eradicated is surely the world we all dream of.

Thanks for this explanation. Orthodoxy sounds like the way to go, I am pretty conservative redpilled politically also..

reading arguments for theism do not help me believe in god. the opposite exactly. what does believing in god have to do with being catholic?

what the hell is the difference between Orthodoxy and Lutheranism? there should be none?

fuck allah

Irenarus on gnostic

You love cocks, your argument is invalid

Bruh you should at least post a pig picture

Christians from the Middle East says "Allah" in their prayers too it means God in arabic

Are you dumb or ?

Wrong. Orthodox deny Sola Fide and the other Solas you dumb frog

Okidokie

Protestant red herring

Proddie BTFO

no, fuck middle eastern christians too. glass the middle east, fuck them all they can burn

I don't know what you're saying. Others explain that Catholics split from Orthodoxy

>hurrrr proddy btfo btfo hurrrr btfo hurrrr btfo reeeeeeeeeee

Deal with it as I had shown hereProtestant BTFO

You fundamentally can not build a nation on secular Enlightenment values and be a follower of the Pope. Just like the Jews, you're a Catholic first and an American second. Whereas a Protestant can hold the concept of his state and his faith separate from each other, a Catholic and a Jew can not.

You are a moron. Truly. Completely. But keep posting your filthy degenerate anime you disgusting Catholic faggot. Don't worry, we all know you can just go confess to your anime tomorrow and be forgiven by your Pope.

Of course we're going to have an elementary discussion of what happened because we're on a Cambodian Black Market Silk Board. The fact of the matter is that the Catholic Church has been corrupt since day 1 and Catholics turn a blind eye to it because they can't handle the truth in the same way they follow the Pope. They can't be honest with themselves without someone else telling them it's okay.

The only thing imbecilic is Catholic theology.

>sheet
Well, you got that right anyway

ASSMAD PRODDIE CANT EVEN ADDRESS THE ARGUMENT

PRODDIE BTFO

All you have to do is accept Jesus Christ as your Savior. He is the only begotten Son of God, who came to Earth and died for all of our sins, and rose again 3 days later, so that when you die you will not perish but have everlasting life.

This prayer in pic related is a good reference for how to accept honk, besides that get yourself a King James Bible, read it, and maybe go to some churches, sit in, and listen to what they have to say. Personally, I think actually going to chhircc isn't that importantly but it can be helpful.

Good luck, and God bless.

Jesus was basically born there

>wanting to join a jewish cuck cult.
>wanting a European revival

pick one you fucking blind, cognitive dissonance filled faggot.

I don't think he'll care man

False. Secular Enlightenment values affirm free will of man and religious plurality and reason

All three Protestantism denies as shown by Calvin's ISIS state of Geneva and Sola Fide and anti science

proven by rejection of Evolution

>reading arguments for theism do not help me believe in god
If you don't subscribe to theism, then why waste your time trying to convert then? Why waste your time pursuing what you deem to be nonexistent?

>what does believing in god have to do with being catholic?
it doesn't. Most people can't make a leap of faith that a random jew thousands of years ago is a God. Conversion typically happens by first acknowledging the existence of a higher power, and understanding its implications. Understanding the higher power to be Christ is an entirely different argument. I only brought this up because you claimed to be atheist.

Also, I advised to avoid committing yourself to a denomination until you have enough knowledge to make such a decision.