So I'm about half-way through a series of unfortunate events on Netflix and I've noticed a very strange phenomena...

So I'm about half-way through a series of unfortunate events on Netflix and I've noticed a very strange phenomena. Half of the characters seem to be inexplicably black or a non-white actor.

Take for example Montgomery Montgomery. He was described as an old british safariman who had studied snakes on his long travels. They got that one indian guy from the daily show to play him.

Now there's Aunt Josephine. She was described as a frail crone with a fear of literally everything. I don't think I've ever seen a black woman fit the same description as her character in the book.

Mr. Poe was always a fat balding irish guy, but he's just some Eddie Murphy knock-off now.

Have I always internalized these characters to be white, just like a black guy would internalize them to be black, or am I just reading too much into things?

Then again, this is the same company that funded a show called "Dear White People." Maybe they told Mr. Snicket that they wouldn't produce his show unless he met a strict diversity quota.

Does Sup Forums know?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegrio.com/2013/09/27/nielsen-report-confirms-blacks-watch-more-tv-than-any-other-group/
youtu.be/EYJovE3J2dw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(((they)))) ruins everythings. Another thing that will crash because of shitty agenda.

Lemony Snicket is a pen name dumbass

But anyway, it almost certainly had demand for """"""diverse"""""" casting, that's just the world we live in, in current year. Get used to it.

It does annoy me how they obviously intentionally made the kids look like the actors from the movies, then just cast big sit-com names and diverse faces for everyone else.

The poo in loo playing Monty actually did a very good job honestly, but he still probably should have been white.

Also, Jim Carrey was a far, far better Olaf, especially when it comes to his disguises, but the writing for NPH is probably better overall

TV shows was great pol but i see the end.

I recognize her, she's in everything.

It's an admission that black stories about black history and culture are terrible, so they have to be included everywhere else but where they come from.

Racist as fuck, if you ask me. In the end, pandering is far more destructive than a drunk screaming nigger at black school children.

I'm pretty sure the illustrations in the books all depict almost all main characters being white.

Plus the story is a neo-Gothic, neo-Victorian novel, so it makes sense they would be white.

That being said, I honestly don't really care about the character's races in the Netflix show. Since they're not race baiting or make explicit mentions about it. It's an amazing show nonetheless.

it just bothered me I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

I guess the fact that they live in some twisted ass timestream where the internet exists but everyone lives like it's 1886 just made me upset, because it was so obvious they did it so that people wouldn't question why all the characters weren't white.

I mean, why are all the characters in Marco Polo asian? Why aren't there more black people? Where are all the Native American actors?

It's a shit show m8. Oh and the only whites seem to be jews too. I wonder who made it?

you know, i actually thought that this was fulfilling a diversity quota too, but the actors are really well cast and the characters are highly inept, so it's not some triumph for them to be cast as them.

one of my favorite lines from the first episode was when the (now-black) banker meets olaf:
>arthur poe: poe.
>olaf: no, actually, i'm quite wealthy.

i've met "lemony snicket" before (he lives in my neighborhood) and he's genuinely a funny and intelligent man. look closely, it's actually a stealth pill.

lol the baudelaires are the quintessential european-jewish aristocrats of the late 1800s-early 1900s (it's in the books too) it's not like the show made them like that specifically haha (also the author is jewish)

Don't believe any nonsense about it being a stealth pill, but while we're on the topic of the writing, some of it is really annoying American comedy where it's just like "look, they're pulling increasingly large and ridiculous weapons out of thin air to one up each other!"
But some of the Olaf lines are much wittier than the writing for Jim Carrey in the film.

And actually, no spoilers but they did a very good twist that I didn't see coming, and I appreciate that

Tbh it should bother you. Just because it isn't directly race baiting doesn't mean it's not stealing part of your culture. Imagine if hollywood made a recreation of an african children's story set in africa, and they made all the protagonists white europeans.

No, you are right, they are supposed to be white in the books.

Also the original movie has them as white.

>That Webum
Kill it with fire!!!

it was annoying because it was so obvious

also the kids are cannon Jews btw

>I've never met a black person who acted like her so she can't be black
Stick with the easy ones next time

Does anyone have a saved copy of the USA Israel relations that aren't widely publicized? It's a singular large image.

Am I the only one who hate these books as a kid
It was the same exact plot every single time

Thing is.

thegrio.com/2013/09/27/nielsen-report-confirms-blacks-watch-more-tv-than-any-other-group/

So the thing is niggers are probably more married to the idiot box than more sophisticated media consumers that probably generate their own media or seek out more interactive media. The trend isn't necessarily (((tricks))) but just demonstration that niggers are fucking idiots and comprise a significant demographic of non-interactive media.

Maybe we'd watch TV more if it wasn't so fucking polluted everywhere. Nothing is more revolting than some potato nosed nigger playing a white role and interracial relationships.

Well this is the same series that cast Doctor Faggible as Count Olaf instead of Jim Carrey, like they originally were going to.

Faggot doesn't even seem enthused to be in the role.
youtu.be/EYJovE3J2dw

I think we are moving toward a post-modernist stage where we are generating our own media and media itself is evolving in non-traditional ways. That's why we are all here now.

lolniggers dont act like fucking white people stupid. Behind closed doors they act like fucking apes and the ones that may be white acting enough is very very so god damn rare i'd imagine there are only 100 niggers like this in the entire US