Politically speaking--why aren't movies any good anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/hollywood-movies-in-china-2016-10
theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/07/fans-cry-racism-as-chinese-star-wars-poster-shrinks-black-actor
youtube.com/watch?v=FHWZ-ryoy5s
youtu.be/2hWYgPDVX_8
youtube.com/watch?v=A-6P4uWCkXo
imdb.com/title/tt4969044/?ref_=rvi_tt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

made now by the idiot sons of talented people

Just don't watch any Hollywood movies and you're good.

Universities.

because they aren't even trying anymore, just pumping out boring shit

Because millennials are too fucking dumb to watch a good movie.

Hollywood has been completely sterilized. Nothing of substance or cultural worth comes out of that degenerate shitstain of an institution anymore. Modern movies are just rehashes of the same bullshit - there is no original thought. Every decade since the 40's has had an iconic tone or genre which propelled it into the annals of cinematography. What the hell are the 2000's going to be remembered for? CGI? Hackneyed super hero movies? Erotica? There is nothing of substance worth remembering, just like modern music. It's all synthetic plastic trash that's forgotten a month after release.

It's such a shame too. There is so much material in the current zeitgeist to use as material. But the Hollywood snobs don't go near that stuff because it would be deemed politically incorrect.

Injecting politics and current event trumps good story telling now.

Pandering and a pathological fear of taking risks or having original ideas.

So unironically it's the jews. They're evaluating scripts from a financial point of view to maximize profits and only approve things that have been done successfully in the past.

Also nepotism.

Because American movies are now produced with the intent of being screened internationally. Basically, they're only making movies that pander to China... and China is full of idiots.

Hollywood is making more and more of their profit from international audiences, in particular China. They have to make movies that are easy to translate and which people all over the world can appreciate, and that means shitty superhero movies with little dialogue. The only plus side is that the Chinese don't like niggers in their movies.

businessinsider.com/hollywood-movies-in-china-2016-10

theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/07/fans-cry-racism-as-chinese-star-wars-poster-shrinks-black-actor

Are you me?

I hate when Sup Forums tries to talk about films

You are just a bunch of fucking plebs

Stick with politics

>Tsai Ming-liang
>Hong Sang-soo
>Sion Sono
>Mel Gibson
>Pedro Costa
>Apichatpong Weerasethakul
>Hou Hsiao Hsien
>Wong Kar-wai
>Olivier Assayas
>Jia Zhangke
>Asghar Farhadi

Huh that's weird. It's almost as if you could stop watching mainstream shit like a braindead child.

Enlighten us almighty huehue. I'm sure you know so much about American films.

All I can recognize is Mel Gibson. Stop acting so special because you watch obscure bullshit. We're talking about the state of film in the United States. Just because there is good cinematography out there doesn't mean it's the norm.

Once upon a time, all of the best talent was working in movies.

For the last 20-odd years, a LOT of talented people are working in television.

Vid related:

youtube.com/watch?v=FHWZ-ryoy5s

Remains to be seen whether Hollywood is merely in one of its periodic slumps (which has happened before), or has taken a permanent turn toward mediocrity.

>There is so much material in the current zeitgeist to use as material.
Is this how a culture dies user

> Was the movie diverse enough?
> Will that joke offend people?

Pretty much sums up why movies are shit.

nailed it

China doesn't care for a well written script, they just want something nice and exciting to look at. All of which motivates Hollywood to release an endless stream of garbage.

Maybe you should watch more film before you look stupid then?
>good cinematography
lmao

That's a beautiful shot. Why don't directors want to make their movies beautiful anymore. Why don't they want their movies to be art that will be remembered and cherished. I get why producers would want to stop them, but assuming you have a passionate director, they can't be stopped--

In a way yes. A culture dies when people no longer find inspiration or meaning in their lives. The idea of film making or writing books is about finding telling a story that people can relate to. It's about sharing something we all have in common. The sentimentality of film making is vital in expressing a cultural message you wish to impart upon the viewers. Instead Hollywood nowadays is focused on pumping out artificial clichéd bullshit, without any sense of originality.

I've watched plenty of good films faggot. Are you trying to argue that Hollywood is in some Golden Age or something? It's not. See the forest for the trees retard. It's over. The industry has been on a decline for years. All you get now are Marvel superhero movies, the occasional romcom, and WEWAZKANGS.

>No Sum Ting Wong
>No Dik Hung Lo
Step up your game, pleb

Another thing that bothers me is that there is so much good literature that one could use to make movies, and NOBODY is using it. Nobody even reads literature or poetry anymore. Am I the only one who notices this? Just housewives reading romance thrillers and sjw grad students reading david foster wallace.

Because today's Hollywood blockbusters are either sensory overload superhero explosionfests designed to feed the lizard brains of proles or just outright leftist Marxist propaganda.

When was the last time you saw a Hollywood movie where the main character wasn't a clumsy and oafish middle-aged man with a smart and powerful female sidekick? There's inevitably the scene where the brutish man is 'BTFO' by the woman and her SUPERIOR SKILL AND TALENT. It gets so old and cliche, the left is just creating its own fantasy land they can refer to whenever they need to dodge arguments. See: Punching Nazis like Captain America.

Like the other anons said, with regard to reaching a wider audience, they need to make the movie palatable to the lowest denominator. Literature, by definition, is complex and tends to include a variety of literary devices and philosophical undertones and moral dilemmas. Most people wouldn't enjoy nor comprehend such works; thus movies based on such literature are doomed to fail. The average folk much rather prefer a few explosions there, a few witty lines here, and the obligatory vanilla sex scene midway through the movie.

We are talking American cinema here user
We perfected the medium and now it's destroying itself
>All you get now are Marvel superhero movies, the occasional romcom, and WEWAZKANGS.
They destroyed the indie filmmaker and the indie distribution market despite the fact that it was the incubator for new talent both in front of the screen and behind. Now it's all nepotism and a shrinking pool of less and less compelling "stars"
>checked
they don't want true heroes because that means masculinity. They want power fantasies. Women hate themselves for their weakness and hate men for their strength.

Even fantasy novels used to be so much better when it wasn't mass marketed kids shit. You ever read pulp writing, son?

Lankhmar is fantastic, the Silver John stories are amazing american folk tales, and why the hell can't people be forced at gunpoint to read zelzany?

cultural marxism

The bulk of pop culture is consumer garbage. It hits all the appropriate emotional checkmarks without really saying anything meaningful. It's designed to be consumable and entertaining without being controversial or alienating.

After a big superhero movie, I'll completely forget the plot after a week, even though they saved the universe from evil. It doesn't stand for anything, because they have no higher purpose besides stopping the bad guy.

The multicultural push (Hamilton, Hidden Figures, etc) is an attempt to add meaning, but getting meaning from abandoning your family and culture is a shitty way to live. Multiculturalism requires cultural relativism, and cultural relativism implies that there is no objective truth. Without truth there can be no meaning.

Reading is a large investment of time, and most people don't have the attention span for it. I read before bed and that's it.

Because they don't sell, the masses of people are dumbed down and don't want to watch lengthy deep movies.blame the audience.....Stanley kubricks Barry Lyndon Is a stunning movie that flopped and put Kubrick on then as side of money hungry movie companies.

Martin Scorsese has the same problem these days, his last film about the Jesuits while well crafted was lengthy and audiences hated that.

Though there are some gems that focus on beautiful shots like 'the Revenant' that do
filter through the pile of garbage these days

Never heard of Silver John before now, so I googled it
>The author's name was literally "Manly"

Every film being a ((Rom Com))

Lord of the Rings was good

Cgi wankfest

1. Because Hollywood got into this phase of releasing only capeshit, teen book adaptations, and remakes/soft reboots. It's what the current 25 year olds grew up with in their cinema. Fargo or Goodfellas would go straight to independent only theaters if they were released today.

2. Young people nowadays can't go 5 fucking seconds without looking at their phones. They couldn't follow the plot of anything not-capeshit, or teen book adaptation.

If I want to watch a movie on TV, then pretty much the only channel I watch is Turner Classic Movies (TCM).

Watch that for a year or two and you'll learn a tremendous amount about culture, history, and film.

To the Aussie above who mentioned Barry Lyndon, yep, watched that on TCM too.

Uncut and commercial-free.

Does this sound like an advertisement for TCM? Well it's not. I'm not even passionate about "cinema". It's just that good.

Fuck hollywood, even modern anime is more redpilled and are much better than any of the past films from the last 17 years.

>capeshit
>capeshit
>capeshit
>forgettable action movie
>shitty comedy drenched in unfunny, pointlessly crude drivel
>STER WERS
>shitty horror movie with 6 million jump scares
>romantic comedy #468
>KANGZ

Every year until death.

Anons I think I'm going to hang myself tonight. I'm in so much debt and everybody but pol on this planet is fucking retarded and don't appreciate art anymore. I've got a belt and I'll do that doorframe thing robin williams did.

why does Asuka have a lil skeleton in her room?

everything has been said, all that is said now is a rehash. We live in an enclosed system, a flat Earth under a dome, a finite world with a finite amount of things and ideas that can be put in existence. I suppose this situation of low creativity/high corruption always happens toward the end times

>what is propaganda

youtu.be/2hWYgPDVX_8

This explains it.

Be aware people; (((they))) control both sides.

.....yes, that means Trump, too.

Basically imagine Jeffrey Dean Morgan in a jean jacket walking around backwoods america fighting the good fight against witchmen and other creatures while maintaining his values as a good christian boy.

It's fantastic shit.

Older movies are way better, tended not to be PC, tended to only have white actors, and were made for audiences with an IQ over 100.

TCM is the channel for people who consider themselves 'thinkers' -- rather than retards who think shit blowing up is cool, or chuckleheads who need a dumb joke every 20 seconds.

However, every once in awhile TCM will cater to the PC crowd with their movie selection, or commentary before the movie. Just ignore that shit or change the channel in those instances.

Because there's nothing really interesting to talk about that isn't "problematic".

Just turn on TCM and chill the fuck out, faggot.

Hollywood has caught itself in a spiral where it keeps making safer and more expensive movies requiring more and more ticket sales so you get films like Avatar which are very flashy but cripplingly inoffensive but Hollywood only knows how to throw more money at something so it refuses to make niche films with small budgets and stubbornly insists on putting all its eggs in one basket with Chinese-pandering garbage.

Indie films struggle as viewers either torrent everything or watch on services like Netflix which dishes out content in bulk for a flat fee. If there was a film equivalent to Steam with easy distribution or numerous small cinemas with niche interest they would be a much bigger phenomena.

jews can't help jewing

Don't do it, son. Giving up your already brief moment voluntarily is defeatist and internalized loathing. Hell, if you are bent on self destruction why not take out those that have benefited from your misery.

Let them know that you're no dog, whimpering meekly to its grave; bite back.

Speaking of kangz it seems that Africa has its own film industry.

youtube.com/watch?v=A-6P4uWCkXo

Commercial movies can hardly be taken serious and be in the form of art any more.

/thread

the original trilogy was a decent mix of cg and practical desu

you can tell it was a decent film because of all the passion in it

which was sucked out of the hobbit films

But it's the Jew that did me in--they're too numeruous..

lurk moar

Yup.
>inb4 muh queer and black cinema
Most of the popular ones are crap

>we need an ambitious and soulful zeitgeist
>LOL 27% more like sadfleck

Assayas, Farhadi, Thai Joe all lefties

Hmm yeah this is accurate

Yet anime will never reach the potential established by D.W Griffit.

Problem is that most indie filmmakers have vapid political opinions. They are also democrat lackies.

Hollywood need to stop adapting things. One of its problems is that everything it shat out for the last decade or so has been a gutted copy of something else existing only because Goldberg already owned the rights to it.

This coming from the board that beats off to Fury Road every night

We had several small cinemas around where I live. All got bamboozled when they couldn't keep up with Cineplex etc

Sad because they frequently played older, more obscure shit alongside the new stuff. Was really cool (and fucking affordable)

I could see a movie for 3 dollars and get popcorn for 5. Cineplex wants like 10 dollars + 20 for popcorn I believe.

Crying about a leftist media that peaked.

Yeah this. The third one especially

>wow dude why the hobbit blows when in comparison

Because it's the same damn thing. LOTR just happens to have a "better" story

Great/memorable movies are so few and far between these days. Hollywood came close to another golden era in 2007 with movies like No Country For Old Men and There Will be Blood, but that was about it. Since then, Fury Road was pretty awesome. And that's about it.

Movies really do suck now.

Actually this.

Also note older directors and producers do not age well when it comes to making new movies. inb4 Avatar 2 becomes a SNL/South Park parody

I only like those films because they are redpilled sure, but lets be honest it really is a cgi wankfest.

But the dude that hosts that also hosts The Young Turks. Not even joking

Hollywood has never been good and has always been propoganda

Watch foreign films, classics, or independents

>No Country For Old Men was 10 years ago

Yuro's make some hotshit movies

for exampleimdb.com/title/tt4969044/?ref_=rvi_tt

TCM is the GOAT channel.

Comet is a close second.

El Rey is third.

Because hardly anyone with talent works in Hollywood anymore. And they're in really short supply of writers. I've noticed this shit too. Writers and Comedians these days should be fucking ashamed of themselves. Go watch Beverly Hills Cop, I'm sure none of you have seen it in years. That's what a good comedy looks like. Now they depend entirely on shock comedy because they don't know what a fucking joke is.

I'd rather watch Friday the 13th Part 7 again than sit through whatever crap "masterpieces" Hollywood is churning out these days.

Sorry, Mike. I'll take Batman Returns over Birdman.

who is going to make them ?!

beta bob !?

or his friend chuck the cuck !?

There have been a number of movies made in China that are actually pretty good. Many are I've seen are epics based on "historical" legends and emphasize honour, loyalty to one's clan, and personal sacrifice for the greater good of one's people. Can't remember the name of it, but there was one where an assassin makes an arrangement to take down the top criminals so that he can get close enough to the emperor. Cinematography was awesome If the Chinese talking over Hollywood make the same types of movies here that they do in China, I'm all for it.

Every movie has to have at minimum eight niggers in it. Its fucking disgusting. Its such a turnoff to watch a movie with a forced nigger in it.

Fear of taking risks.

That exactly-- the economy is still shit and you play it safe during rough times to avoid losses-- which is why everything is a reboot or a rehash right now.

I know. Ben Mankiewicz is a libtard douche IRL, but he does a fairly good job hosting.

It's a shame that Robert Osborne (the former host) is old and in ill health. He was great. The consummate professional and a pleasure to listen to.

Ghana and Nigeria has had their own film industry for decades, and most of their movies are known to steal soundtracks from popular movies and shows, which they never seem to get caught

I watched 48 Hours for the first time in years a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe what I was watching. It was not only shocking, but entertaining as hell.

Comedy is the worst victim of modern movies. I don't even know the last time a movie made me laugh.

I am going to watch that movie again right now.

Thanks for the idea. That was a great movie with some awesome lines.

I think after I see that I am going to watch The 5th Element.

People are getting dumber. I mean just look at Arrival. It's nothing special but it's being lauded as a "thinking man's scifi" and normies need YouTube videos to explain the ending to them.

>Tropic Thunder
>The Hurt locker
>Public Enemies
>Crank 2
>The Social Network
>Moneyball
>Fright Night
>Killing Them Softly, feat Sup Forums's favorite president
>Zero Dark Thirty
>Pain and Gain
>Spring Breakers
>The Wolf of Wall Street
>The Counselor
>Captain Phillips
>Edge of Tomorrow
>American Sniper
>Black Mass
>Macbeth
>Batman v Superman
>Deepwater Horizon
>Hacksaw Ridge

Because most every movie can be seen to have a political agenda as the priority rather than an entertainment one.
Why else would they go out of their way to cast token black guys as heroes out of a pool of majority white actors? Why is the one stormtrooper who stood up to the evil space-nazis coincidentally black, as opposed to, say a rebel commander in the background? Because it gives him more presence, more heroism.
Why did Ghostbusters get remade with bitches?
Why do the yearly movies about the holocaust and slavery always get 10/10 from critics?
Why is Kevin Hart making movies after his successful stand up career?
Politics.
Seven year itch? The original ocean's eleven? Dirty Harry? Die hard? Little to no political correlation. The heroes weren't a gay trans lead and Muslim haramplanet sidekick. They were simply entertainers.

>"Mission: Impossible 3" dropped a shot of clothes on clotheslines in Shanghai for the Chinese cut. Apparently, the lack of dryer ownership is a sensitive issue.

It's not like you'd get much from suing them considering that everything seems to be handheld camcorder footage bludgeoned with special effects made by somebody's nephew in Blender and wrapped in a first draft screenplay written by a maniac in one go.

I've been watching so much Hitchcock lately. Thank you TCM.

Dirty Harry was political. It was popular because it represented peoples sentiments about increasing crime. Difference between then and now was that propaganda went from pro-American, pro-white culture to anti-American, anti-white culture

The only one of those movies that come close to the quality of the old stuff is Wolf of Wall Street, which was made by a 100 year old director. Hacksaw Ridge was decent, so was American Sniper, but are you really going to settle on those movies while channel surfing the way you would Hellraiser II or Die Hard With a Vengeance?

Ah true, forgot about the string of tough on crime presidents.

>Tropic Thunder
Heard it's good never saw it

>Hurt Locker
More of a documentary quite honestly. Realism was intense however.

>Public Enemies
It was alright. Nothing spectacular

>Crank 2
Yeah no. Fun movie, no plot.

>The Social Network
Good but way too much Hollywood-esque sentimentalism added in for theatrical effect.

>Zero Dark Thirty
Again, it was okay. Lacked character development and felt a bit rushed at the end.

>Wolf of Wall Street
Emphasized the sex and drugs way too much. I would have liked if they focused more on the business aspect. Otherwise solid script.

>Edge of Tomorrow
Pretty good. Emily Blunt is hot but always has a scowl on her face.

>American Sniper
Good movie. No complaints

>Batman v Superman
Trash.

Forget that hackwork, just watch John Ford, Orson Welles, Nicholas Rey, etc

>special effects made by somebody's nephew in Blender
Most of the special effects you see in those movies are terrible models they downloaded off from the Internet or it's a poorly edited action essential effect

Just watch Iranian films, OP.
Ayatollah Khomeni decreed that movies were only halal if they had artistic or intellectual merit.

Or you can keep watching superhero movies and transformers and Cuckman Action 8, ymmv

Hollywood Writer Fag here, this is correct.
Write a great script, it will be dumbed down to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Mass appeal is the goal. Quality is down the list.

nepotism
lowered standards
higher budgets
trying to appeal to overseas market

Corporate film making is finished user. The advent of the internet has made people question the narrative that the corporate media communicates to them, especially after the Presidential election. What you'll see now is alot of "art" films being promoted via social media etc because the narrative is no longer true, films will be made to explore the artistic side of film making.

Edge of Tomorrow is literally on the same level of quality than DHWAV.

lowkey pleb. I forgot to mention The Big Short but Adam McKay is a huge Bernout waning to be Oliver Stone. Also,

>The Social Network
>sentimental at all

nothing was confusing about that movie though?

This. The recent glut of sequels, prequels, and remakes that nobody is asking for is the end result of this mindset. Hollywood will continue to pump out garbage as long as the system remains the way it is currently.