Cali Oroville Dam Collapse 12 - We Scientists Now Edition

CURRENT STATUS:

Never-before-used emergency spillway compromised: poor enineering leads to excessive erosion threatening the integrity of this sub-dam. Upon discovery of excessive erosion, residents evacuated. The is emergency spillway is essentially the edge of a toilet. Once the water reaches the rim, it spills over.

Pothole-ridden main spillway (chute/runway style with controllable gates) reengaged at a rate of 100,000 cu ft per second in an attempt to save the shoddy emergency spillway sub-dam. This main spillway must drain the reservoir down 50 feet by Wednesday evening to accomodate a full week of rain forecasted.

Main spillway: probably good enough integrity for now.
Emergency spillway: OUT OF ORDER; MAY CAUSE DEATH AND MASSIVE PROPERTY DAMAGE. RESIDENTS ARE TO EVACUATE

Livestreams, raw engineering sensor data, etc links incoming.

Get a look at pic related. What a fine piece of emergency spillway engineering.

Local News Station Stream:
livestream.com/KRCR/events/3724366

Lake Oroville Webcam -- livestream
parks.ca.gov/?page_id=29411

Scanner Traffic Stream -- Butte County Sheriff, Cal Fire, Chico & Paradise Police / Fire - Live Audio
broadcastify.com/listen/feed/1929/web

QUALITY HELI FOOTAGE FROM LATE LAST EVENING: LAST KNOWN HELI FOOTAGE
youtube.com/watch?v=Z5OIcb4Uh4U

Dam engineering raw data:
cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=ORO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aDfZ6STAfqA
youtube.com/watch?v=JxbDJlruQ-4
youtube.com/watch?v=bWEWVw7TGk4
aa.usno.navy.mil/rstt/onedaytable?ID=AA&year=2017&month=2&day=13&state=CA&place=Oroville
youtube.com/watch?v=IhEMLZZKlqM
youtube.com/watch?v=NanEPQYZ5XU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=aDfZ6STAfqA

Thread theme

How long until daylight? I must see the overnight erosion.

heres a good livestream
the dam is no longer overtopping through the parkinglot.
the emergency spillway has eroded to fuck but seems stable... for now.
the main spillway is totally fucked. and getting worse.

5:30 AM here right now, not much longer.

HOLY SHIT

that emergency spillway is high up as fuck!!

Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam Please by a white dam

did some buildings and stuff get fucked? looks like the emergency spillway which i know i saw overflowing badly is behind a bunch of buildings?

I-Is the parking lot ok?

Its basically just a parking lot and a boat ramp behind the emergency spillway.

All those taxes yet they can't build a proper dam

LIVE

Additional imagery provided to us by our proud partner, Bing Bird's Eye View.

isnt that from yesterday tho

I don't think this is live.

The stream is live, the vids are replays.
But I hope we will get new footage soon.

>Sup Forums
>science

we drumpf nao

It's a live broadcast but the footage is old?

Yeah its def at a much higher level. Pic above shows a better photo of the "babys-first-emergency spillway failsafe" engineering project

Did they think this was a motherfucking game?

Don't defy Trump. You have been warned. The wrath of god is upon them.

so the emergency spillway really means emergency?

its been in full use all week and its really a overflowing bath lip?

FUCK

Sunrise there isn't for an hour and a half dipshits.

>How long until daylight?
about 2 hours I think, I want to see how bad it got fucked in the last 8 hours as well, although it could be hard to tell since 100k cu/s of water is going down it right now

why doesnt america just give you all straws and encourage you all to go and drink down the water?

Give it 1 hour for sunrise
By 4 or so there's prbably a helicopter flying around.

Damn

#notalldams
#reservoirofpeace
#wereallwater

Yeah it's basically a low point in the dam so the water goes down the hill instead of all over the place.

Except the dam doesn't go all the way down over there so if the hill gets too eroded it all falls down catastrophically.

If it starts raining and the dam collapse I will start believe in God.

The shit that could happen:
youtube.com/watch?v=bWEWVw7TGk4

Dam*

How's Vincent?

Damn, assuming that's a recent picture, it already eroded to this extent yesterday? This hill is supporting the entire dam, I can't imagine the entire thing turning into a giant sinkhole will be a structural improvement.

im heading to the dam with a surfboard lads

gonna ride this fucker down to the ocean

hehe, now that would be absurd just like this man who walks in such a silly way!

not enough sugar in the water

MAYBE THATS WHATS IN THOSE BAGS THEY DROPPED!?

I saw a good idea in the last thread: Why don't they get the air force to do some cloud seeding to prevent the rain from reaching the dam's basin?

Well I guess we did meme a happening
>first time emergency spillway used

No,

Emergency spillway = failsafe spillway = overflowing toilet bowl

Main spillway is being run full-bore because they realized the failsafe spillway was garbage.

Because the main spillway is damaged and isnt usually run all-out for extended periods as they are planning, it is also considered an emergency procedure. But it is the main spillway that controls the reservoir levels precisely in regular practice.

Someone post the images of the damage progressing

Digit say that this is keks retribution for defying Trump

>filename

What happens if the main spillway fails? It looks like it will still work just spill in a messy fashion.

50 minutes remain until dawn of the final day for Oroville

aa.usno.navy.mil/rstt/onedaytable?ID=AA&year=2017&month=2&day=13&state=CA&place=Oroville

(begin civil twilight 6:33 AM PST)

How is it even possible to fuck this badly?

This is some North Korea level incompetence

I'd imagine they have to repair the spillway and all the erosion after this is over, too. I wonder how many billions of dollars that'll add to California's debt.

It already has failed. The question is how to balance the erosion at the main spillway against the erosion at the emergency spillway.

OH SHI

so...is the message here that one shouldn't let an earthwork dam get that full to begin with, or what?

its the erosion and worse the water landing directly on the hill that is the problem

the potential for the hill to become soaked and mudslide is high

just curious

gibsmedats for illegals

wow that's a big dam
are you are dam cuz beaver
well I be damed

First they called for #Calexit. "Make california a sanctum state for illegals", they said. "Fuck Drumpf!", they said.

I bet my ass that those libshits will be begging "evil president trump" for money once the dam breaks....

The worst part is that over the past 7 years or so, California floated two multibillion dollar bills for repairing water infrastructure. Something like 12 billion dollars total.

Where did the fucking money all go?

>thread 12

yeah and when I made a thread 2 days ago noone of you fuckers cared

fuck you all

Trump is sending help to California. New video about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=IhEMLZZKlqM

The concrete chute/runway is 3000 feet long. The hole is estimated to be 250 feet.

Considering the volume of earth left intact, it probably isn't imminently dangerous. But there are two months left to the rainy season.

More important is 100% preventing a repeat of what just happened: being forced to allow the reservoir to spill over the failsafe spillway. Because it is going to fail FAST if it is used significantly.

They should be able to lower the reservoir back down to the 850 elevation (900 over-tops the failsafe spillway) in preparation for 1 week solid of precipitation beginning on Wednesday evening.

that spillway i broken in places all the way down

what a piece of shit

you need to choose better pics for OP and better titles

Here, have some internets.

>7 terrorists, one from each nation on the stayed ban list, suddenly teleport behind the dam and self detonate

REPEAT AFTER ME, NOT A SINGLE CENT TO CALIFORNIA.

Worst part is look at the size of the hole compared to the vehicles. Imagine what it would take to fill that hole and fix it back up the way it used to be. It's so fucked.

Could somebody please provide several links to livestreams which go online if the holy sun rises?

The procedures being conducted now should return the water level in the reservoir to February 6, Noon levels as indicated on this chart.

So, you could imagine that, in order for this catastrophe of needing to use the emergency failsafe spillover, we would need to see 1.6 + 1.2 + 2 = 3.8 inches of rain in the span of the week minimum. If it starts exceeding that rainfall, all bets are off.

>Having issues with water
Laughingswampjews.jpg

>waaaa
>waaaaaaaa
>i need my (you)s to live you nasty boys

More pictures for new-to-topic-fags

> This continues to be a fluid situation.

I thought there was a drought and loads of wild fires in California, this should help the land

Still waiting for a convenient earthquake.

>these men and women

Yeah i bet lots of women are helping to fix this ...

JAIL EVACUATED

No, what Trump needs to do is go on TV and give California an ultimatum. Renounce your status as a sanctuary state and receive federal aid, or place illegal immigrants above your own tax-paying citizens.

That puts 100% of the blame on the government of California if they refuse to comply.

JAIL EVACUATED!

Press 'F' to pay respects.

This one is a sure thing but the camera sucks.
youtube.com/watch?v=NanEPQYZ5XU

gender politics, santuaries cities, LA Lakers.

The data says the water level is lower than the emergency spillway, but the water was still flowing over the spillway, presumably more than just wave action would dictate. Is the height of the emergency spillway less than 901 feet as described? Current water level ~898 ft.

F.

Potato-quality incoming ... Oh man

FAKE NEWS

Please rain chan

Yup, federal control of California government or bust.

is that hot enough to melt the snow and fuck them up some more?

February 6 appears to have been a tipping point beyond which:

A) perhaps decisions about appropriate outflow levels were inadequate (need to make further graphs)

B) rain is not sinking into the ground anymore and is instead running off into the reservoir from miles upstream

C) ?

God himself will destroy California. Just like as it is told in the bible.

GG

Fuck Brown and fuck Californian people!

>spic engineering

can't lol hard enough

DOIT
O
IT

actually , North Korea builds better dams than commiefornia could dream of

Bigger worry would be that it's going to rain on the snow. That'll melt it but quick.

#NotMyDam

Is that car park underwater at this point?

Is it fresh or saltwater? If freshwater, can't they get a few tonnes of salt and pour it in to lower the level by a few ft.

Underrated

why are north korean dams so much better than commiefornian dams ?
pic related

KEK KNOWS