OROVILLE DAM THREAD #7 WAIT FOR THE RAIN

youtube.com/watch?v=7AxYhivf62s

youtube.com/watch?v=NanEPQYZ5XU

Other urls found in this thread:

abc10.com/news/local/river-valve-damaged-in-2009-could-have-been-fourth-way-to-release-excess-water/408086236
youtube.com/watch?v=hmKLxoAPU1c
cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=1426&end=02/14/2017 01:35&geom=small&interval=2&cookies=cdec01
cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=7858&end=02/14/2017 01:25&geom=small&interval=2&cookies=cdec01
cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotAll.jsp?staid_id=SHA&end=02/14/2017 01:53&cookies=cdec01
youtube.com/watch?v=rl7Sm15unPQ
forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.51&lon=-121.56#.WKLU17ilxqM
youtube.com/watch?v=XvGdASocTn0
youtu.be/jnslrTTXQSA
youtube.com/watch?v=hC3VTgIPoGU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for sinkholes

Are there any new pictures of the state of the main spillway?

I don't get it.

How's the dam suppose to fail when it's just that concrete road that has collapsed?

really? the last picture is from a totally different angle/view.

shitty pic OP

last night in my dreams, KEK told me that the dam will fall today pouring the blood of the heretics all over the town.

This will mark the beginning of the end.

PRAISE KEK

A real rain will come some day and wash the real scum away.

Does anyone know the rate water is coming into and going out of the lake right now?

Who put the power lines on the side of the dam? Those are going down with the dam's collapse. So now people downstream will have no electricity to get news to know something is wrong.

The shit that we don't see:

Soil isn't as solid as you think, it's not impermeable and it gets water inside. Once it gets enough water to be mud, all that soil slips away, is soft and doesn't have as much strength as when dry.
In the old picctures where we can see the suze of the hole the earth is soaked, this means that water started to get in.
Water doesn't stay on a single place it spreads, just like electricity, to the path of least resistance, ans sometimes, that path is not rolling downhill but wetting the dry material next to it.
This makes the area more prone to sinkholes.

Tl;DR This shit is exponential, it will be really slow untill it decomposes in a few minutes.

I find it interesting on how the water gorged out the hillside

Is this the Lord's work come to wash away the sin?

double, trouble. commie red

kek will see california dead

abc10.com/news/local/river-valve-damaged-in-2009-could-have-been-fourth-way-to-release-excess-water/408086236
Thats what you get for wasting taxpayers money on useless bullshit, Obama.
Praise Kek, all hail the god emperor.

eta on rain?

24 - 36 hours.

Cool. Might have an early night so the floods get here sooner.

I am not really sure I understand.
The same amount of water is still leaving the dam, is it not? It's just the sluiceway that seems to be fucked. Or does it have further implications? I don't really know shit about dams.

On July 22, 2009, several workers were deep below the reservoir operating flow controls to a river valve chamber in the Oroville Dam, according to the OSHA report. When the flow reached 85 percent, suction pulled a breakaway wall downstream into a 35-foot diversion tunnel, cutting lights and nearly sending three workers to their deaths in the roaring current.

One of the workers who was badly injured survived by clinging to a bent rail, where he was struck by tools and equipment being sucked inexorably into the tunnel. He was hospitalized for four days with head trauma, a broken leg, broken arm, cuts and bruises.

Shasta dam is outputting a consistent 70,000 cfs, Oroville, outputting 100,000 cfs.

They both join into the Sacramento river, when does this become a huge problem even without considered the possibility of dam failure

It doesn't matter if it's the main wall or the spillways failing
youtube.com/watch?v=hmKLxoAPU1c
If the breach in this video happens in any place connected to the body of water will provoke this

And the spillways are on their way of doing this.

Again, God said to Noah and his sons:

9 I am going to make a solemn promise to you and to everyone who will live after you. 10 This includes the birds and the animals that came out of the boat. 11 I promise every living creature that the earth and those living on it will never again be destroyed by a flood.

12-13 The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I will keep this promise forever. 14 When I send clouds over the earth, and a rainbow appears in the sky, 15 I will remember my promise to you and to all other living creatures. Never again will I let floodwaters destroy all life. 16 When I see the rainbow in the sky, I will always remember the promise that I have made to every living creature. 17 The rainbow will be the sign of that solemn promise.

false alarm everyone. god noticed too many republicans live in the area. he's just reminding you of his mercy.

From another user:
Here's what happened.
>Too much water in the reservoir.
>They decide to release some of it.
>Shit maintained dam gets a hole in the spillway.
>They stop releasing water to inspect damage.
>It spills over from an emergency spillway that's meant to be used for minutes at a time at very best. Basically a symbolic thing, rather than something functional.
>Water starts eating a hole through the soft ground, oh shit, the dam might fail due to being a dam made out of earth.
>Release water through the main spillway.
>It gets fucking obliterated and starts eroding the hill.
>They can't stop releasing the water or the emergency spillway spills over.
>They're forced to use the main spillway, which keeps on slowly but surely getting fucked further and it keeps on eroding the hill under the dam.
>Fuckhuge rains and storms incoming.
>Melting snow incoming.
>Water level in the dam needs to be 50ft lower than it currently is to be able to even take the storms.
It's a massive slow yet steady happening, which has no real solution except
>Dump water and hope the whole thing doesn't crumble.

Additional damage estimate:
>best case scenario: 100-200milion damage, no dam failure, no casualties or homes lost (aka if the situation stays as it is)
>worst case scenario: dam breach, billions in damage
Worst case seams unlikely but damages will most likely increase.

Will damn devastate down state because I am just seeing reports of 200k to 300k affected.

I want the damn to flush down the brown

Concrete road is a spillway that carries water from the dam to another location. It has a huge hole in it, so the water pouring onto it is now hitting the dirt nearby and eroding it away. The dirt that isn't being eroded away is soaking up water and becoming soft and muddy, lowering its effectiveness to support or keep dam structures in place.

the dam is technically the whole superstructure, including the hill as it holds the water on its volume. Now the dam wall to the right its pretty much fine.

Its the hill thats getting messed up. Has water on one side for years so that side must be as wet as it (should) get.

Has some water on top from the e-spill that spilled. Has water destroying everything at the 24/7 spillway.

Will have lots of water when it rains again.

Points of failure is both spills, whichever fails first triggers the flood. Which will bring a lot of losses.

A total collapse is unlilkely (whole hill would have to slide), but would be the major happening.

It has a small PP

>Shasta dam is outputting a consistent 70,000 cfs, Oroville, outputting 100,000 cfs
Prove it!

Underwater nuclear explosion
Evaporate the lake
Thank me later

I appreciate the efficiency of the Germans.

Shasta
cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=1426&end=02/14/2017 01:35&geom=small&interval=2&cookies=cdec01

Oroville
cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=7858&end=02/14/2017 01:25&geom=small&interval=2&cookies=cdec01

for me

cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotAll.jsp?staid_id=SHA&end=02/14/2017 01:53&cookies=cdec01

look for outflow

the canals and rivers from oroville can handle about 115 kcfs, nothing will happen

Excuse my paint skills, I don't want to waste more than 5 minutes on this.

Ok, listen me out.
Most usually dams work as a system, a river system will have multiple dams that trap the water flowing from the previous dam (at least here for lack of space)
Is this the case here?
Will a dam failure result to chain reaction flooding more dams downhill?

then why arent they allowing people back?

Expert estimating damage and predicting future of the dam
youtube.com/watch?v=rl7Sm15unPQ
I know its long, but its very valuable information when trying to predict what is going to happen. Im currently only halfway through though.

>100 to 200 million in damgae

Yeah man, isn't it so fucking expensive to buy

>$75 per cubic yard
>oh but it has to be earthen
>$18 per yard

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.51&lon=-121.56#.WKLU17ilxqM

even if there is a tenth of a percent of it happening, the police wouldn't let people risk it

I wonder, when the dawn breaks in California, if that main spillway in your picture has lost even more of its concrete structure.

i hope the left side of the main spillway errodes away so we see footage of that powerline falling

because if that whole hill does give way thousands of people would die

It won't. There's no water flowing there so there's no reason it would erode.

>taking into account only material costs
>not taking into account all the economical damage it already caused by evacuating an entire city.
The world isn't just a bunch of independent systems, you know.

There will be later in the week

Oh, this is not exactly clear from my picture.
The "in worst case water can be released here" IS the "emergency spillway meant to be used for minutes at a time at very best." that they can not really use. What I mean by "built a few days ago" is they have removed trees downhill and shaped the earth so that water can flow controlled, rather than fucking up the whole hillside and going wherever.

So the tl;dr on the situation is:
>dam too full
>both backup strategies are destroying the damn
>water still has to be released

Either way, if it starts raining they are going to get fucked and its their fault according to some experts. (dam didn't get maintenance for example)

How could the dam possibly fail? Who cares if the spillway is messed up? There's hundreds of feet of mountain behind it.

Because it's made of fucking mud

kek has said it many times, the dam will break.

well that's fine, but im talking about where the two rivers join, its literally right outside Sacramento

>$2 trillion needed at the minimum to fix the infrastructure

That's the thing
It isn't solid bedrock so if eroding continues then entire side of the mountain could slide off

>I haven't been following this and I don't know what I'm talking about but let me tell you what's happening

The water is eroding the earth under the spillway, causing structural damage to the whole dam.

check this out then. it's a video of a geological feature of my state, narrated by patrick stewart.
youtube.com/watch?v=XvGdASocTn0

pic is of grand coulee dam, located in the same area of my state.

I'm not a happeningfag. Sup Forums is almost always wrong when predicting these sorts of things. the dam will hold and be rebuilt

I think he was talking about the worst case or scenario (or close to it).

>Who cares if the spillway is messed up?
The continued outflows over the damaged spillway will slowly erode everything away. Basically it will eat up itself from the bottom to the top. If you compare the pictures of the original hole with the current situation, the damage has already moved several dozens of meters upward.

And if they have to use the emergency spillway again during the storm on wednesday/thursday they are completely fucked.

>worst case scenario: the wall is teleported into space by aliens and the whole lake slides into the valley any and goes all the way to sacremento while an earthquake also takes out shasta dam

>the dam will hold and be rebuilt
Wanna bet that there are no bigger holes on the inside that aren't surfacing yet?

that was infrastructure overall
not just the dam portion

the dam is concrete coated dirt sitting on a foundation of dirt which is now mud and the foundation is liquefying

hold on to your cocks motherfuckers because shit is about to get wet

Wow.

Uh, thread theme:

youtu.be/jnslrTTXQSA

Yeah, I meant water damaging everything that's below the dam. If we are talking about the dam itself only I read only billions somewhere, will have to search for source again though so take it with a grain of salt.

Another thing he mentioned:
>Dams overall in America are in terrible shape
Trump fix plis.

>missing punctuation
My sentences are aids. Excuse me, please.

praise him for heavy rain

>the dam will hold and be rebuilt
the dam would need to fail in order for them to "rebuild" it. You can't replace an in-service dam

Fuck. Californian here. Should I buy the shotgun I've been eyeing?

Because if that thing falls down, there's gonna be a refugee crisis five days in.

thanks for posting this

dude is saying severe cutback on axillary spillway

\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/
\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/\o/

You should have bought it already. I wouldn't be surprised if illegals and niggers are already robbing the evacuated homes.

Adios California.

kek khaos kontinues

>the foundation is liquefying
This is what retards fail to understand.
EARTH IS NOT AS SOLID AND UNMOVABLE AS YOU MORONS THINK.

>It's a massive slow yet steady happening, which has no real solution except
>>Dump water and hope the whole thing doesn't crumble.

I have a bud in Sacramento, says the river in town is already close to flooding.

Dumping water isn't really an aswer, much flooding downstream.
Of course, if the dam goes, that will happen anyway.

I hope the entire lake empties out flooding Sacramento and triggers a earthquake.

of course you should buy the shotgun, the question you should be asking yourself is, "should I buy a lot of shotgun shells, or just one?"
the answer depends on how close to the dam you are

Why don't they get everybody to turn on their taps and flush their toilets? That will empty the dam a bit.

that parking lot got fucked up

Well, as it stand right now its either:
>dump water and risk huge damages
vs
>dont dump water and get huge damages 100%
Looking at it from this side there is only one reasonable thing to do, which is continue dumping water.

Palm Springs area.

Well away from the initial flood, but going to get hit hard by the after effects.

Also, ten day waiting period.

FUCK.

I'm an expert on dam making and this dam will not break

This new spillway waterfall needs a name.

nice proxy

Patience my Sup Forums bros there is no way they can stop this thing from breaching but it isn't going to happen until Thursday or Friday.

Be fully prepared for cops to take it like during Katrina

This is why the bug out bags are ready,
complete with weapons.

Spilly McSpillface

but you're disregarding erosion because the water level is down, for now.

what you fail to realize is that later this week its going to start raining and it won't stop for at least a week. the rain is going to melt the snow and its all going to flow into the reservoir that's already full, so it will have nowhere to go but over the "auxiliary spillway," that wasn't designed to handle it and was never really meant to be used in the first place, and the main spillway that's already eroded to bedrock because incompetent bureaucrats neglected to fix it when the lake wasn't overflowing.

youtube.com/watch?v=hC3VTgIPoGU

Interesting, hadn't seen these pics. Thanks

>Fix a dam?
>Lol we drought now

Fuck no, cops out in my area don't give a shit if you have a gun, long as you ain't harassing anyone with it.

Way I see it, it'll be like the LA riots where the cops/National Guard were just arresting anyone who looked dangerous(IE Roof Korean with a fire extinguisher with a rifle over his shoulder).

>tfw it can wipe out Sacramento

PLEASE, OUR LORD KEK, MAKE IT HAPPEN

Im not surprised. The emergency spillway was not meant to be used except in extreme emergency cases (duh).

The irony comes from it being totally worthless in this situation, since it fucks the hill even worse than the normal spillway next to it.