Diogenes and Artwork

Is Diogenes like anyone we know today?

>When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition.

>When asked how he wished to be buried, he left instructions to be thrown outside the city wall so wild animals could feast on his body. When asked if he minded this, he said, "Not at all, as long as you provide me with a stick to chase the creatures away!" When asked how he could use the stick since he would lack awareness, he replied "If I lack awareness, then why should I care what happens to me when I am dead?"[35] At the end, Diogenes made fun of people's excessive concern with the "proper" treatment of the dead.

Also post artwork. Bonus points for posting paintings of leaders.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jziW8S5xrYM
users.otenet.gr/~ziggy/DioPlato.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=3fvfsT3LNNM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>implying Sup Forums isn't Diogenes

>At the end, Diogenes made fun of people's excessive concern with the "proper" treatment of the dead.

Literally an ancient fedora tipper.

My favorite is this:

>Diogenes walked in on Plato during a lecture.
>Plato showed everyone a cup and said "This cup has the quality of cupness"
>Diogenes picked up the cup and said "I see a cup, but I don't see any cupness. Where's the cupness?"
>Plato responded, "the cupness is there, you are just too stupid to see it"
>Diogenes looked in the cup and said "Its empty. Where is the emptiness?"
>Plato paused for a moment to think about the answer.
>Diogenes walked up to him and tapped him on the head, saying "The emptiness is in here."

Here's another one:

>Plato comes across Diogenes performing menial work
>Plato said to him, "If you had only given tribute to the gods, you wouldn't need to be here wasting time doing manual labor"
>Diogenes said to Plato, "If only you had done manual labor, you wouldn't need to waste time giving tribute to the gods".

One the first trolls of history.

ITT: language tricks and autism

ONE WINDY day two monks were arguing about a flapping banner.

The first said, "I say the banner is moving, not the wind."

The second said, "I say the wind is moving, not the banner.'

A third monk passed by and said, "The wind is not moving. The
banner is not moving. Your minds are moving."

I missed these. Good stuff

Did he really shit in a theater?

A fourth monk comes by and performs an experiment on the banner and determines that both the wind and the banner are moving, as Newton's Third Law states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

He also performed the same experiment on the brains of the other monks and found that their minds weren't physically moving as they observed the banner.

My mind is moving right now

Do you have video of experimenting on monk brains?

I don't approve of this statement mind you, Diogenes was witty but he didn't always get the final say.

>Once, Diogenes was invited into Plato's house.
>Diogenes spotted Plato's expensive carpet and trampled all over it with his dirty hobo feet
>Diogenes shouted "Thus, I trample over Plato's pride!"
>Plato responds "With another kind of pride".

Sounds like your typical dumbass fedora being disruptive and trolling.

youtube.com/watch?v=jziW8S5xrYM

If it was actually sharp and aimed in the wrong spot, it would have stopped him from meditating.

Yeah he seems like too much of a dick. Very amusing though.

>failed to carry on his father's business
>became worthless neet
>''''''''citizen of the world'''''''' (euphoric af)
>nitpicked other philosophers without contributing anything himself
>fapped in public regularly
>inspired a whole movement of worthless subhuman neets
Shit tier philosopher. He really was Socrates gone mad.

The Stoics did his ideas better than he did.

What? That makes no sense

Good points. I'm actually reading Marcus Aurelius Meditations now.

To me it means that Plato was referring to Diogenes having to be a dick to prove some point. Diogenes basically had zero chill when it came to most things.

Diogenes is proud to be a filthy slob

he sounds like Sup Forums desu

>fapped in public regularly
>he sounds like Sup Forums

Frank Reynolds

"When I'm dead just throw me in the trash."

He is literally Sup Forums philosopher - no valuable ideas to mention, just punditry and anecdotal rubbish.

This, how new are you, OP? Diogenes is one of the founding fathers of this board alongside Ron Paul and Andrew Jackson, among others

He was the inventor of shitposting what do you expect?

Is anyone else tired of these threads? People keep posting the same 5 stories over and over again, and circle jerk to them repeatedly.

Marcus was a shithead who ruined Rome with his retarded inbred son

On and off over the years but mostly last 6-8 months.

Is there a celebrity that is close to him?

This really moves the mind.

What can I say I've got a killer libido. Seriously though I haven't seen mention of him for a while. I also wanted sweet art pictures but I'm the main one posting them.

Diogenes was literally ancient Sam Hyde.

It makes perfect sense. In many spiritual traditions people renounce their worldly possessions and become the "spiritual" one. But in reality they've only shed a superficial layer only to adopt yet another superficial layer thats often even more egotic then the former.

he wrecked Plato

>implying Sam Hydopolis isn't the reincarnation of Diogenes

This should be a tv series.
It would be ancient quips: the tv show

Didn't think you had a thing for ancient banter, Satan.

Another version has Plato saying
>How much pride you expose to view, Diogenes, by seeming not to be proud

>fuck yo carpet
>buy another one you rich motherfucker

so basically, to be Diogenes you have to be; intelligent, nihilistic, and have a wicked sense of humor?

That makes more sense. It was probably even more obtuse than that even.

Nice

It's largely acknowledged he is fictional. Love the concept of his though, a true devils advocate

You miss the point

His entire life was a performance art real world philosophy shitpost.

The purpose? Deface the currency

Not the coinage- the real currency- social currency.

He was a reactionary against degenerate athenians,

>rich man takes Diogenes into his house
>shows him all the nice stuff and expensive wares
>diogenes spits in his face
>"sorry- everything here is so nice I couldnt find any worse thing to spit on"
>so many lessons

He wasn't a neet. People traveled from all around to listen to him. He was said to be a very hilarious guy with many friends.

>also said to be so goddamn physically yoked that people stopped and stared in awe when he walked through the market

despite this he savaged his body- sleeping in the cold and walking on hot rocks.

He was the ultimate "fuck your gay bullshit" philosopher with no time for your pretentions.

We need another Diogenes now.

Made my day. Thanks. Saved.

You would just hope they could get through all the bs now with tons of people now who already call themselves thinkers etc.

Yeah me. Stop shitting up my board.

Were Diogenes and Plato friends? How else does Diogenes follow Plato around everywhere he goes, even his house to trample his rug?

Modern society is just repeating what the greeks went through. Diogenes plucking the chicken and proving Plato a dipshit is just like /pol proving the MSM that everybody gobbles us to be shit.

Plato actually said some interesting things though. A lot of it was bullshit but it's not empty of meaning.

They were vitriolic best buddies.

They both recognized the other person as being pretty damn great in their respected fields and not bad people on the whole, they just vehemently disagreed about a lot of shit while still respecting each other a whole bunch.

trump, farrage

sam hyde

look at the goofy boots I saw them after I posted.

Diogenes seems less crude than Sam Hyde IMO. But they're close.

Shutoka

>"Of what use is a philosopher who doesnt hurt anyone's feelings?" -Diogenes

Definitely Sam Hyde.

HAVE YOU BECOME SOMBER?

underratedpostopolis

Sam Hyde is a really shitty person though. He's aware of the Jew, but at the same time he was molded by the Jew. He realized the Jew after being sculpted by the Jew, it was too late to save himself by that time. His comedy is good though, it's gone downhill recently though IMO with the show and all that. I miss when he would go troll people at Harvard and stuff.

He pretty much crafted his life's teachings through experiences rather than introspection, that is not a bad way to cultivate yourself as a thinker if you understand the full deal of the experiences you have been through.

if you saved that today you are most welcome.

I think Diogenes had a lot in common with Stirner. He probably would've loved modernity's focus on the material

fucking degenerate

users.otenet.gr/~ziggy/DioPlato.htm

>he was eating dried Figs..

>when he encountered Plato and offered him a share of them. When Plato took and ate them, Diogenes remarked, I said that you might share them, not that you should eat all of them.

cheeky cunt

Fuck, I really wish these people still existed today so that I may approach them and just overall logic bantz with them.

Sounds fun af.

Shia Labeouf.

>Literally an ancient fedora tipper.

>t. a featherless biped

People seemed a lot more open to witty banter back then.

It's probably cause there wasn't much endless distraction like we do today with the Internet. Nothing but a whole lot of time to work and think.

>He was the ultimate "fuck your gay bullshit" philosopher with no time for your pretentions.
>We need another Diogenes now.

Seek truth, slay the dragon, rescue your father from the underworld. This is how to live the best life.

That's why I go out to the woods and think. Too much going on normally. It takes a while to get in the right mood though. Tech and media changes the way your mind works, at least mine anyways. You want instant information gratification.

Too bad I live and work in the information world. I love it, even though it gets tiresome at times.

>mfw customers approach me with their inane computer problems

If you imagine that shia was very redpilled and/or doing all this to make everyone realize how dumb they are

>that would be a very classically "cynical" thing to do

GET OUTTA MEH SUN

The tell of a famous schizoid
Aka i dont give a shit and its a clinical condition

i thought it was just jauqin pheonix performance art, but man you just activated the fuck out of my almonds.

Really gets my banners flapping

underrated postopolis

"No writings of Diogenes survive even though he is reported to have authored over ten books, a volume of letters and seven tragedies"

>tfw you will never read a Diogenean tragedy

by Zeus, why even live?

And he inspired fredric nietchz and jean paul sartre .... Well every philosopher who are nihlistic and dont give a fuck

>To me it means that Plato was referring to Diogenes having to be a dick to prove some point. Diogenes basically had zero chill when it came to most things.
You're such a fucking retard lmao

Karl Pilkington

Think about it

Classical schizoid behavior doesn't resonate with people in the way that Diogenes's actions do. What can account for that difference, Mr. Leafy Armchair Psychologist?

Well you cant banter anymore without offending someone these days

>dont give a shit is a clinical condition
Rofl

diogenes is literally stoicism fucking rope yrself

Seems like people don't like being serious or intelligent anymore. If you try to have a serious conversation with someone they think your on a soap box, if you make a thoughtful comment on something people think you're being pretentious or over thinking things.

You can still say these things and have people listen but it has to be masked in irony and humor. Maybe that's how it was in the past too, idk senpai.

Just seems like people had deeper conversations that went beyond regurgitating references to media they've listened to. This comment sounds pretty fedora but it's true famalama

youtube.com/watch?v=3fvfsT3LNNM

Even satire is dead, becuase all those things became reality