Survivalism

Realistically Sup Forums How many animals like Chickens, Sheep, Cows and Pigs would a person need to become self sustainable? What are the ideal crops for harvesting? Is honey the liquid gold to farm and then sell for $$?

Survivalism Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_feral_camel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

piss off kangaroo fucker

Start by learning how to forage, and build shelters. Then you have a mental foundation for how to operate when you truly have nothing. Plus it's a really fun hobby.

What a good system to build a basic survival shelter?

I'm not so much concerned about true nomad lifestyle. More buying some land for my later life. I'm not working until i'm 75. I just want a couple of acres with a small shack with internet and a couple of animals for milk, egg's and meat.

Just plant a veg garden and eat those. Harvesting them for meat is too expensive. Think of the amount of resources spent raising one cow and the pay off from it.

this. i suppose you could support having chickens since they breed a lot, give eggs and eat all sorts of garbage.

Raise caged chickens over catfish tanks. The chicken shit feeds the fish. If you're a genuine engineer you can even grow crops indoors with the recycled tank water and UV lights.

you could probably survive off an acre or so if the soil was of good quality rotating.
so you segment it into four: 2-3 pigs on one, some alfafa/enriching stuff to turn over, the less hungry veg, and then the tomatoes etc. and rotate them each year. add a goat or two for milk, and some chickens in the veggie garden and you're all set.

will need to can/freeze/store stuff come harvest though.

some dystopian cyberpunk version of aquaponics kek

>Realistically Sup Forums How many animals like Chickens, Sheep, Cows and Pigs would a person need to become self sustainable?
Not that many, chickens give you like 5-7 eggs a week so you just need a handful of them to get you several eggs per day. Do you want to eat meat every day? You can probably get around fine just the milk and eggs and then kill all the excess males every autumn. I slaughtered some maran roosters a while ago. One breast/leg or two wings is honestly enough for one serving so that's like one weeks worth of meat if you eat it all and then make stew on the neck, heart, gizzard etc.

>What are the ideal crops for harvesting?
Potatoes are easy as fuck and give you lots of carbs but you need to diversify your crop production and your staples if one crop gets some kind of disease. If the anglos steal all your land to graze their cattle and you're forced to rely only on potatoes you basically go full irish when the potato blight hits you. Also crop rotation lowers the risk for diseases so you are going to want to diversify either way.

The shit you grow depends entirely on where you live.

>Is honey the liquid gold to farm and then sell for $$?
Bees are good for your plants so its nice to have them either way. You can also make mead, which will probably sell just fine if you make it good.

I would go with hydroponics, 5 chickens, some rabbits and a couple sheep for milk. The fish and rabbits would be for meat and fertilizer. The number rabbits and sheep would obviously depend on many you can graze at your land and how much feed you can stock for winter. Pigs are nice to since they can eat and make us of things that would otherwise just go to the compost. But i doubt you would get that much if its just you in the household, maybe if you have a large family, have access to scraps from a restaurant or share one with your neighbors.

If i would get a cow it would be some old race that isn't as picky as feed, gives better feed to milk ratio and doesn't produce several gallons per day. I'd probably just got for sheep or goats though.

20 to 30 sheep
10 to 20 chickens
2 to 4 cows
10 to 20 pigs
corn, wheat, oats, barely...
Vineyards for wine and orchards of plumbs, apricots, cherries, apples, etc other fruit that you can make brandy from.
Vegetable garden.
Potato field.
You could feed a 10 people family with the above, but you would need 4 of them to work a lot during spring summer and autumn.
Mechanization that you would need would spend a lot of oil, and you would need electricity.
Being totally independent means a lot more hard work.
Beehives require a lot of time, maintenance and work.

Grandma always said you just need 1 goat.

>Not that many, chickens give you like 5-7 eggs a week

Pretty much one egg a day? That's insane. How the fuck do they do it?

>Pretty much one egg a day? That's insane. How the fuck do they do it?
Well it was one if not the first animal that we domesticated. Those who laid a lot of eggs obviously got eaten less often then the ones who didn't.

But you do need to feed them a lot if you want that many and they won't do it all the time. Its not like chickens are some magic animals that just shits out free food, unless you make your own feed or can get free/cheap food scraps it probably won't be more economical then just buying eggs. They taste a lot better though, factory laid eggs are shit their in everything compared to free run chickens that roam free.

Insects seems pretty interesting to, some of them are extremely efficient at converting food scraps to protein. If you don't want to eat it yourself it will probably make good chicken or fish feed.

Well that's where I was looking at maybe bee keeping to make money on the side so I can actually buy luxuries.
I understand the taking time thing, this is why I want it to be my early retirement plan. I probably won't be doing things on a massive scale but having a vineyard would be another interesting alternative money method. But again I'm not thinking something huge more just a small time operation. Honey was going to be my go too for actual disposable income for electricity internet and water.

Raise Chickens, Rabbits, Fish. They propogate quickly, are virtually raised passively, and you'll only need need to add fat (oils, butters) to your diet if you eat only the last two.

Thanks based swede. Yeh, a goat is looking like a much more efficient animal desu. I honestly believe this kind of lifestyle is going to have to be how people live in the future, there will not be enough employment and here in Aus the retirement age will be 75 by the time I reach it so fuck that.

Australia is also suited for camels. You even have feral populations of camels there. Pretty good if you have access to vast areas of otherwise useless land.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_feral_camel

Yeh the area I want to live is on the central coast so camels probably aren't going to be an option. Funnily enough I know a dude who has 100k acres in NSW who lets goats and camels run free on his property, then he harvests them and sells their meat to China and America because you can't sell either meat here.

Doesn't the government need help with culling things like camels in Australia and tars in New Zealand? I mean can't you just have your chickens and goats for milk and eggs and then hunt meat for free or a minuscule fee (or even get paid) on public land or something like that.