Should cell phone/wifi jammers be illegal?

Other urls found in this thread:

khon2.com/2014/05/01/fcc-slaps-florida-highway-cell-phone-jammer-with-48k-fine/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are.

Yes.

How in God's name are people suppose to call the cops when some asshole has a signal jammer?

It's pretty dangerous to people who are nearby, not just the user.

Only if you live in a dictatorship

Theres videos on youtube of 10 year olds making these things with 9 volt batteries and some copper wire.

They are in the UK but that's hardly surprising. Anything beyond a plastic fork is illegal here.

If it's easily constructed, it can't practically be illegal.

Sure, I guess.

I can't fathom any legitimate use for them, and they can cause great harm.

>Only if you live in a dictatorship
My point still stands.

The FCC will jump down your throat and ream your asshole from the inside out if one is caught operating a cellphone jammer, supposedly

Yes it can. Tough to enforce but it can be illegal.

Yes, that's what I mean: if it can't be enforced, in practicality, it's all good. This should be part of
the the basis for good laws.

same way they called cops before cell phones

We could reason the same thing about lots of South American countries, senpai.

payphones and landlines?

If no one broke laws, we wouldn’t need them.

Yes, and they are.

IIRC, the punishment is pretty big if you're caught using one.

>if it can't be enforced
How about the guy who drove with one in his car for like 2 years? They finally caught him by triangulating the deadzone.

>>They can cause great harm.

Explain yourself, All i see is a great way to troll self-absorbed millennials

khon2.com/2014/05/01/fcc-slaps-florida-highway-cell-phone-jammer-with-48k-fine/

OK, I'll modify to: if it can't easily be enforced. Maybe for this guy's case, that he was driving
around being a dick is what got him caught; not just having one, and using it judiciously.

This photo reminds me of Chloe grace moretz

>cell tower jammer
that's some next level cellphone jamming

I kidnap someone and jam the phone so he can't seek help.

I do a terrorist attack and jam the signal so no one can call an ambulance.

unless you're being cocky and showing it off, these things are easy to hide in a coat pocket and no one would suspect you're in possession of a jammer. People would just blame it on an outage or bad signal.

The problem is people who're into this kind of shit, like jammers and super-universal remotes to change TV channels in bars, are also people who want to look nerdy-cool or smug and want to get caught.

just don't broadcast that you're hackerman and they work great.

>when you set up a giant signal jammer on the edge of your property and charge your neighbors to make cell phone calls
>ancap ball.jpg

>emergency occurs
>cops/fire dept/ambulance cannot be summoned

>>I kidnap someone and jam the phone so he can't seek help.
>>I do a terrorist attack and jam the signal so no one can call an ambulance.

Don't do these things, no wonder people don't think highly of Brazil.

You don't think someone outside of the jammer's radius will call an amberlamps if they see a giant explosion or hear shooting coming from a shopping mall or something? Plus landlines still exist, unless whomever caused the emergency goes into like Bourne-tier planning (just to "terrorist attack" a shopping mall?)

You're not wrong.

w/r/t "super universal remotes to change TV channels in bars", though...they already have phone apps for that.

YOUR SIGNAL HAS PASSED THROUGH THE AIR ON MY PROPERTY GET FUCKED NAP VIOLATOR

>2 years of tracking to enforce a ban on an item
>he drove to work every day with it on
Yeah, great enforcement there. If he drove around the state or country they'd never catch him, he was only caught because of his consistent use of it.

You understood my point.

They're already illegal.

For good reason too, they're really fucking annoying.

Yup.

calm down new zealand, brazil can't get to you.

Got a bit of a story. I work at a hospital here in australia and we had a bloke coming in and jamming our signals for 6 years.

He would do it randomly, just to fuck with us every few months.

We FINALLY caught the guy after he tripped and his jammer fell out, by a fucking miracle.

Not all emergencies are precluded by a loud bang or fire, nor do they necessarily occur in highly populated areas with potential witnesses who may be outside of the jamming area.

>School jams signals to stop students from using cellphones
>Somebody has a heartattack
>Nobody can call 911

>In a hospital
>Somebody jams all the signals
>Medical equipment fails
>People die

A lot of modern society relies on radio waves. The legitimate use cases are far outweighed by the potential for harm. They're illegal for good reason.

Actually our equipment was shielded against jammers fucking with them, but it would fuck our phone lines up when the bloke came in.

It's really hard to catch somebody using these if they're careful, but they're highly problematic, so the penalty is severe to scare people.

Radio waves, going across the states, are also regulated by the FCC and federal law. So that's a federal crime if you get caught.

Did you do anything to him?

>jamming our signals for 6 years.
>He would do it randomly, just to fuck with us every few months.
>We FINALLY caught the guy after he tripped

After 6 years every other month you really didn't find a pattern among who visited?

I can't imagine you get that many regular visitors, especially when you also cut it down to men and then take away the oldest and youngest.

>>build cell jammer
>>Write script on PC to "DOS" available routers
>>Attend antifa or anti Trump rally
>>See what happens with no net or social media

Yeah but a lot of hospitals are increasingly relying on devices like tablets which inherantly use wireless. Hospitals also use pagers and such, also wireless.

Anything critical to life is redundantly protected from failure, and probably can survive without a network connection being active. Having something that would kill somebody if it lost network connectivity, connect to the network via wifi, would be a little retarded.

Still, disrupting with hospitals does kill people because it's going to cause one guy to take a minute more to be treated, and that'll be the difference between life and death. Taking down communications in the hospital is not an insignificant problem.

We actually have a lot of visitors and he would do it extremely randomly with no pattern.

What is the range on them?

What is the reason for people using them beyond being pains in the ass?

depends on the kind. ours was pretty localised and hit the entire floor, but was small enough for the bloke to hide under his shirt.

are their any legitimate uses for a phone/wifi jammer?
not as far i can think of, so it probably should be illegal

Well, then you walk outside of jamming area and make the call, genius

>What is the reason for people using them beyond being pains in the ass?

People wanting to prevent cell phone usage basically. Teachers, people on public transit, whatever.

It's just that it would be no good to have a bunch of people carrying around cell phone jammers dropping peoples calls as they saw fit.

Yeah.
Phone calls to police, phone calls to rescue, and phone call informing your mother's critical condition should be jammed.

Is there a way to detect these things? I suspect they have one installed at my place of work that they only turn on at night, when it's the damn teenagers during the day they probably bought it for anyway. Shit keeps fucking with my pandora playlists when I'm just trying to work.

I'm pretty libertarian and I can see how stupid it is to have these publicly available, they are literally just tools to aid criminals

>they
Who is "they" in this case?

Just go talk to the owner/manager and let them know you like to listen to music at night, and you suspect that there's a cell signal jammer.

Totally, it's not like people in medical distress need first aid from people receiving instructions from emergency dispatchers.

What is the problem with making people running in and out of jamming range during emergencies? Sure a few minutes might cause people to die, but I mean, those cell phones, those are really annoying.

Jammers create a large field of interference. It's conceptually quite simple to figure out where a jammer is, figure out where the interference is the strongest using tools that can detect radio waves and interpret the signals. Using a Jammer actually broadcasts where you are quite loudly to somebody with the right tools.

I know some tools to detect wifi jammers because T. IT guy, but not cellphone jammers.

schematic?

If you can get a signal through at all, but it craps out occasionally, they're probably not using a Jammer though. Jammers would be characterized by a rather severe drop in signal quality.

This thread reminds me of how I wanted to learn more about radio and possibly get my CCNA wireless.

if it fucks over normies everyone should have one

It fucks over autists.

autists dont stare at facebook ALL DAY

>land lines

If you rely on a cellphone without exception then you deserve to suffer.

FUN FACT

You only need about 6-10 dedicated high powered jammers in vans operating at the frequency of the GSM control channels to bring down the entire cellular network of a 500.000+ city

You will be caught within minutes if anyone with access to a large area radio scanner (i.e. military, intelligence agencies, etc.) notices what you are doing, but until then, havoc

They are, and the FCC will find you in a hurry if you're operating one with any amount of power.

I actually made one back in 2007, and I put it into my car when I drive through the city to get to work. I love how it fucks everyone's day up. Mother fuckers would be dropping calls and I even went by a hospital once and well he he... Its just funny.

IM JUST JOKING BTW

They are. But I swear every Elementary school has one on its premises.

This. You can make an all-frequency jammer with just a battery and a length of wire wound around a nail. This is elementary school tier science, although it's not called a "cellphone jammer" at school science class, but a "wireless telegraph".

The only thing you need to increase strength is more wire and more power.

>Only catching someone who used an enormous overkill industrial size jammer in an SUV after he drives the same route for two years straight

Having one of those portable ones could only get you caught if you were to stand still next to the FCC or similar agency's headquarters wearing a long black coat and an untrimmed neckbeard

>should cell phone/wifi jammers be illegal?
The broadcast airwaves are public goods. Just like you can't prevent your fellow citizens from enjoying a public park, You also cannot prevent them from send/receiving signals on broadcast frequencies.

However, the police state has carved out its own exclusions to these rules that they swear are in your best interests, even when they are actively pursuing prosecution against you.

I've had a drone flying over my house, and considered to use one of this.
What would happen to the drone? It will just land?

Many people don't use landlines anymore.

>turn on jammer
>break into house
>find woman trying to dial 911 to no avail
>beat her unconscious
>loot entire house

And if there's a landline.

>cut phone line

Probably would just stay there until the battery runs out, then fall to its death.

Don't tell the niggers new gameplans

>phone line
>2017

Just make a giant faraday cage over your property famm

It kinda defeats the purpose of the jammer.
Also you won't be able to make calls from inside.

Just regulated, not entirely banned.

t. hamfag

it raises an interesting question of whether the government should have control physical phenomena. electromagnetic waves are as natural as can be, its like regulating sunlight.

they regulate devices that receive and emit electromagnetic waves. and they do regulate solar panels and light bulbs. so yeah they have control of physical phenomena

They are.