Hello Sup Forums I have a friend that's in a bit of a situation he got his iphone taken by the police about 6 weeks ago...

Hello Sup Forums I have a friend that's in a bit of a situation he got his iphone taken by the police about 6 weeks ago and he's wondering what will happen to him. What do you guys think?

Well first you have to tell us why he got his phone taken.

He never told me

if you have anything incriminating in the metadata (calls/contacts/gps data), pictures, texts etc expect them to use it against you in court. also they'll take fucking forever to return it either way because digital forensics has a yuuuge backlog in most countries i think. might as well buy a new phone

I'm just thinking it's been a while already and if they had enough evidence on him wouldn't they arrested him already

What were the events that led up to having his phone taken from him?

I mean did he just say "my phone was taken." 6 weeks is awhile and one would think that they would have given it back if there nothing incriminating on there.

I have no idea nothing has happened to him yet he told me they are looking into his kik account though and he deleted the messages but I don't know how kiks database works

Well most get in trouble planning violent acts or storing CP. What seems most likely for him? If none apply and he didn't seem too worried, he is probably in the clear.

Yeah he told me there's neither

He's fucked. Better use a fully encrypted Android next time, or better no phone at all.
t. once worked with a cellebrite kit

Should have encrypted Android with remote nuke functionality

Aren't android really easy to get into?

iPhones have that too and he told me he did that

His dealers are going to kill him.

Iphones imo were literally built for intelligence communities. Android allows you to customize for a full package of encryption and prevention, Iphones were built for the NSA I think personally.

Apple doesn't have that, Apple stores everything in (((the cloud))).
Even if you burn down your phone, you can get a 1 in 1 copy of your old phone on your new one

Not if it's encrypted and USB debug is disabled. Just pull the battery if a cop is approaching you, and crypto will kick in.
Be sure to set a fucklong password though, and you'll need root if you don't want to type your 20+ char monster every time you unlock the screen.

Refusing to allow access to a confiscated phone through encryption can carry heavy penalties too you know.

90% chance the officer who took the phone signed it in, mentioned it to his boss, said boss put it on the backburner and got roped into something else, the officer went 100% "not my problem", the boss forgot about it, the officer didn't give a fuck about it anyway since he's got other shit to do, and the phone is now sitting in a locker somewhere until some other government official pops by and says "Aren't you supposed to do searches on this?" and reminds the boss

i've seen this shit happen time and time again, tell him to remain calm

> what is fifth amendment

We all know that the "friend" is you. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting it here. We all know you're guilty or else you wouldn't be posting a thread worried about it.

My blackberry Priv is encrypted and it has a physical keyboard, which is comfy and nostalgic for me.

A bit buggy tho

>keeping sensitive data on a personal device

You keep it on a well hidden dead drop USB and use a shitty throw-away $50 amazon smart phone to retrieve it, then smash it with a hammer and throw it into a river when you're done.

I hope my friend will be okay guys I think he probably will but you never know

cen't tell by your repetition whether the related thread is stale or you're genuinely concerned
let this be a lesson to user to encrypt his shit and do as much as possible in person

What can someone do to help themselves in a situation like this they already have the phone

No you fucking idiot, the only secure way is to not use a cell phone. There are no consumer grade smart phones that aren't a problem. Your only choice is to buy a burner phone with cash at a local store.