What are the factors of American society that promote and normalize high obesity rates?

What are the factors of American society that promote and normalize high obesity rates?

What was the catalyst of the American obesity epidemic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY?t=130
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the subsidies to corn that gets transformed into HFCS and later put into 99% of manufactured food

The introduction of high fructose corn syrup as a synthetic alternative to sugarcane. The scientist credited with making it has stated if there was one thing he could go back in time and change, it would be his contract for discovering and creating an alternative sugar source. During that particular time the Cuban embargo combined with the U.S military intervention in Latin American countries artificially drove the price of sugar up to insane rates in the USA and no companies could afford to use sugar in their baking goods anymore. To change this, High Fructose Corn Syrup was created and could be made insanely cheap. After about 20-25 years of using it as the new standard for industrial-sized cooking we now see the health effects- almost all of America's current obesity issues, and indeed the Western World, can be traced to the High Fructose Corn Syrup use.

They don't have gym classes anymore

inexpensive carbohydrates.

that's all it is.

>What are the factors of American society that promote and normalize high obesity rates?
A combination of car culture, "suburban lifestyle", and ease of access to high calorie, low nutrition foods.

High Fructose Corn syrup and soy mixed into EVERYTHING we eat. Praise Kek I am wealthy enough to eat wholesome food untainted by poisons 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.

Also, fuck fatties like boogie and that cunt in the picture.

It's easier to feed 300 million people with shit food than healthy food

No enough pool partying.

the government subsidizing corn farmers so now everything that enters an americans body has HFCS that tastes like dogshit in it and makes them fat

also

>JUST

This.

The Farm bill makes processed food cheap af and it has little nutritional value. Soda is cheap as well and people drink tons of that which is just empty calories.

>That pool water
Absolutelydisgusting.jpg

I think most countries are obese these days, with rates similar to the US. I think it's because people have no willpower. I heard they also tax healthy food heavily, all cheap food is junk. I wouldn't really mind fat people in the US because there isn't any free healthcare so I wouldn't pay for any of these fat fucks healthcare due to complications but unfortunately there is free healthcare in my country.

>most countries are obese these days
absolutely true

burgers

>I think it's because people have no willpower.
The food manufacturers literally spent billions on making their snack food as addictive as possible. They call it the "Bliss point".

Which is why they have all of these additives in them to stimulate the brain's reward mechanisms to induce cravings.

(((High-fructose corn syrup)))

Life is too easy for them

Extremely cheap high calorie food and sedentary lifestyle combined with it being socially acceptable to be a fatty. Theres so many fatties that Its even gotten to the point where they tell each other that theres nothing wrong with being fat. A critical mass, if you will.
>inb4 some /fit/izen rees about fast food not really being cheap

My point still stands, if I found out I was getting overweight let alone obese I will cut off all of my unhealthy food. People have no willpower

Capitalist market which mass produces junk food and fast food onto consumers.

People don't want natural healthy foods because we've grown up on artificially flavored food which are loaded with fats, salts, and sugars

Fpbp
Oppose TTIP niggas
I'm serious

Obviously there's personal responsibility which America loves to neglect, but they do make it hard to stop.

I agree with you though, I know plenty of people that just like to whine about GMOs and processed foods, and do nothing proactive to fix it.

>unhealthy food
>hedonism
>high quality of life
>all do not care what others think about you

Wealth. Ease of life.

No joke, niggers.

They make up a majority of obese Americans

people are pleasure seeking animals
its fucking sick

Veggies are the devil
youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY?t=130

Explain Mexico then faggots. Solid 2nd place if not 1st meanwhile

It's really just a meme.
I rarely ever see fat people where I live.

> stats are a meme

>JUST

holy kek did a Sup Forumslock take this?

Women joining the work force. It was post WWII when TV dinners became a thing and were marketed hard to families who's mothers opted for a full time job which caused them to neglect the home and the kitchen. Shittier, quicker, cheaper food has been pushed hard ever since.

> (((statistics)))

I live here, you don't.

God bless Alaska

Regret making the sale Ivan?

> facts don't matter
> t. Tyrone

Obesity is a combination of depression and addiction. Without a craving for the dopamine released manly by sugar and a form of depression to require this obesity will not occur... but it's also pretty hard to find low calorie food now a days

You really can't blame it solely on them
I've been to the US many times to different states and fatties came in all colours desu

>believing whatever you read because (((they))) said it's a "fact" or "statistic"

stay bluepilled famalam

Mexico is fatter why not ask them?

Also,

>A

FPBP. Corn subsidies and the way low-income food assistance (WIC and SNAP) is disbursed summarize the entire problem.

You're severely obese aren't you

Isn't that the Swedish health minister?

Argument refuted, now can only project.

You tried, failed Russian.

> so fat his eyes are obstructed by lard

>Praise Kek I am wealthy enough to eat wholesome food untainted by poisons 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.
Healthy eating can be had for the price of what an average SNAP recipient receives in benefits. They simply choose to make very poor decisions on what to buy, which really shouldn't come as a surprise since you have to make poor decisions to end up on SNAP (or WIC) benefits in the first place.

How can you deny that the US doesn't have an obesity problem.
Obviously some regions are worse than others, but that doesn't change the fact that too many americans are ridiculously obese.
>inb4 (((statistics)))

yup cut down on PE, more technology, cheap processed food with unnecessary sugar and fat, food culture, poverty leading to consumption of cheap high calorie food.

Our government subsidizes corn, which makes corn syrup artificially cheap, making it end up in everything we eat.

Food is also cheaper here, so people can buy and eat more of it.

When I go shopping in the US and buy junk food and processed garbage, it always tastes better than the Canadian made stuff. Like way better. They've gotta be putting something in the cheap unhealthy food that makes it so addictive.

Mexican-Americans are even more obese than Mexicans in Mexico and more obese than white Americans. Blacks are also far more obese than white Americans.

The reason seems simple to me. Mexicans and blacks are more likely to make poor decisions and our government subsidizes those poor decisions.

I meant to say how can you deny that the US has an obesity problem

Europe also has quite a few obese countries. England and Greece are two really fat countries. While in Greece I noticed people eat french fries much more than even Americans in my area do. The older generation is much more healthy eating greens, salads, fish etc, but a lot of the youth I met didn't really like vegetables and ate a lot of souvlaki/fast food all the time.

Fat people don't riot
Give them fat, sugar and salt + easily accessible entertainment and they will remain docile
Even Trump's a fat cunt, so what hope for the future?

Also fish is super expensive in greece for some reason unless they are small fish like sardines etc.

Americans add more sugar in their food. Like their bread had twice the sugar in it

WW2 not even kidding. Our country build a large industry to feed the army. In many ways you can blame the outcome of WW2 on the fact that our side was so well fed.

When the war was over we had a huge industry with no need for it. So people created the need. They got women out of the kitchen and people eating prepared food.

People selling food figured out the three things that motivate humans in food. Fat. Sugar. Salt. So now we have tons of these things in our food in order for companies to sell more of it.

Follow this up with the advent of corn and being turned into everything. And money flowing from food companies into politicians so that corn can be subsidized to make it cheaper feeding into the circle.

Our food is shit.

Society says it's ok to shame skinny people and say they look unhealthy and need to eat more.

Society says to never question fat people about their weight. ESPECIALLY women.

Life is too easy. Most people would rather stop at a drivethrough on their way home than spend 10 minutes cooking something.

They do have gym classses and HFCS is just sugar.

The actual reason is niggers and mexicans are much more obese than white people. If US had race demo's shuffled to be like UK we would be less obese than the UK.

Ive noticed the fat and calories are pretty different in fast food in canada compared to american fast food. Tim hortons calories are quite a bit less than a comparable dunkin donuts or mcdonalds meal. Harveys is way less calories for a ton of burgers too. At jack in the box in the US they have burgers that are 60+ grams of fat and 950 calories in just one not very big burger.

Healthy eating can be had cheap but it takes a bit of effort and kitchen arts have been forgotten. Fat people are ignorant of how easy it could be to fix it.

My 3/5 of my aunts and uncles have diabetes and say I am too skinny at 140lbs 5'11.

Perhaps I could bulk up some muscle but they are retarded and think Velveeta is a cheese.

Canada is more obese then America.

It's not just this alone (though it is refreshing to see a post of substance in this fucking place), surely the rise of fast food culture and blind consumerism in general is a very important factor as well. I mean obviously drinking soda is bad, but the amount we drink is the bigger part of the problem.

The overabundance of cheap fatty foods. The decline in manual labor jobs. It's not rocket science.

Yeah there's tons of fat people in Canada, it's rare to see obesity though, at least in BC

J U S T
U
S
T

WTF? Really?

HFCS and processed food made from su subsidized, heavily sprayed, gmo crops, along with blatantly carcinogenic and unnecessary ingredients added to justabout everything that doesnt explicitly state otherwise.

Taking women seriously.

Bc master race

>HFCS is just sugar.
It's fructose which doesn't make your hunger go away.

Your standards might be different than Americans', but here people that are considered "chunky" are actually obese. Trump is borderline obese, if not already there.

What the fuck? Obesity is fat.

>What are the factors of American society that promote and normalize high obesity rates?
being lazy and stupid.
You could say a decline in manual labor, but half the people on my software team are fit and a few others are fat. The fit ones make time to exercise. They also eat healthy. My family eats very few processed foods and our budget for 2 adults, a kid and a dog, is about 700 a month. You can eat healthy without spending alot of money if you are not stupid. You do have to take time to prepare your meals though.
>What was the catalyst of the American obesity epidemic?
Probably single moms.

Fructose, or fruit sugar, is a simple ketonic monosaccharide found in many plants, where it is often bonded to glucose to form the disaccharide sucrose. It is one of the three dietary monosaccharides, along with glucose and galactose, that are absorbed directly into the bloodstream during digestion. Fructose was discovered by French chemist Augustin-Pierre Dubrunfaut in 1847.[4][5] The name "fructose" was coined in 1857 by the English chemist William Miller.[6] Pure, dry fructose is a very sweet, white, odorless, crystalline solid and is the most water-soluble of all the sugars.[7] Fructose is found in honey, tree and vine fruits, flowers, berries, and most root vegetables.

Guy on the left would be common here, just regular overweight with a belly. The guy on the right is rare

You've got two main camps: the people who eat the standard American diet of over processed, greasy, salty, McDonald's-tier shit, and the people who actually buy fresh food and prepare it themselves in healthy ways.

Problem is, a number of factors force your average normie American into the first group, including:
>cooking no longer being taught as a life skill
>fast food restaurants around every corner
>(((consumerism))) bolstering these restaurants
>the perception that cooking is "hard" or "time-consuming," coupled with Americans working long hours and never even attempting to learn it

You still have a choice which group you fall into. I'm not some left wing fucktard who wants to ban Arby's or something. But we as a society need to put more emphasis on cooking as a basic skill.

It's still about will power though.
After working out and drinking a lot of water afterwards, i generally eat a very small plate of chips to make it isotonic. I don't eat the whole fucking bag.
You should be able to control yourself even when eating perfectly manufactured food.

Markets carry what people buy and when you live in a suburban area without access to farms its easy to see why fatties get fatter. Simply speaking people want whats fastest, I on the other hand am retired and have the free time to drive to farms and butchers to get wholesome food.

It is time consuming though.

It is a solid 15-30 minutes of standing which I could spend waiting for a frozen pizza and masturbating.

Ah okay, guy on the left and slightly bigger is considered normal weight here lol. I'm 5'10" and 140-5ish lbs, kind of skinny but people accuse me of being anorexic.

>I'm 5'10" and 140-5ish lbs, kind of skinny but people accuse me of being anorexic

hey your me!

We literally experiment, our processed food, shody medicines, etc.

I should have said overweight instead of fat, overweight being the medical term. Overweight is fat but not dangerously so. Obese is the dangerous fat.

Diet based primarily in processed carbohydrates. Also additives in food. including but not limited to hfcs

The diet is fucked really badly. It is actually a really bad thing. Stop eating so many processed foods.

I blame the fucking gross ass southerners. Almost everyone I saw when I was down there was like 230-260 lbs. at 5,5 - 6,0

I conceded that point.I gave up drinking soda altogether because I felt it was just a waste of money for that reason.

I don't even miss it desu, but normies, especially basic bitches will just spaz out "I need muh diet coke!"

Ein gesundheitliches Problem des HFCS entsteht möglicherweise dadurch, dass der Zucker nicht mehrheitlich aus Glucose, sondern aus Fructose besteht. Im Gegensatz zur Glucose wird die Fructose weitgehend insulinunabhängig verstoffwechselt. Da Insulin indirekt einen Anteil an der Erzeugung des Sättigungsgefühls hat und zudem Fructose in höheren Mengen die Fettsynthese fördern soll, können durch den starken Einsatz von HFCS als Süßungsmittel möglicherweise Übergewicht, Metabolisches Syndrom, Fettleibigkeit (Adipositas), Bluthochdruck, Gicht oder sogar Chronische Nierenschäden entstehen.

>A health problem of the HFCS may arise from the fact that the sugar consists not of glucose but of fructose. In contrast to glucose, the fructose is metabolized largely insulin-independent. Since insulin has an indirect role in the production of the feeling of saturation and fructose in higher amounts, the use of HFCS as a sweetener may lead to overweight, metabolic syndrome, obesity, hypertension, gout or even chronic kidney damage .

Sausage fest.

not true at all.