Why did we have to have a civil war? 600,000 Americans dying in a pointless war

Why did we have to have a civil war? 600,000 Americans dying in a pointless war.

Couldn't Lincoln just have bought all the slaves? We have the be the only developed country that ended slavery via civil war.

Other urls found in this thread:

civil-war.net/pages/mississippi_declaration.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm glad to see american schools are doing their jobs

to test each others commitment to principle after all other non-violent solutions were exhausted.

>implying slavery was the cause of the civil war, and not the dirty liberals of the north wanting additional government overreach in the south....

Lincoln said he wasnt gonna end slavery, they seceded because their party lost

>It was about states rights!
States rights to have slavery

Lincoln was assassinated because he attempted to introduce a currency backed by gold called the greenback.

As other anons have said the civil war is much more than muh slaves.

not gonna lie i a blonde haired blue eyed american saw Op's photo years ago and fell in love in a waifu sense.. i hope shes still okay. and when ww3 draws us all into the shit i can meet her.. such is life in post modern Babylonia

Do you really think schools teach

Fine, i will give a serious answer
>Why did we have to have a civil war?
Because the south seceded
>600,000 Americans dying in a pointless war.
It wasnt pointless because we didnt start it, the south did by seceding
>Couldn't Lincoln just have bought all the slaves?
No, people wouldnt sell, this is the most autistic of solutions
>We have the be the only developed country that ended slavery via civil war.
Probably

Wat

South seceded over state's rights, wanting to preserve their way of life. The North wanted to preserve the union.

State's rights is a revisionist meme
civil-war.net/pages/mississippi_declaration.asp
>Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world

I'm inclined to believe but I've heard the counterpoint is that the South's founding documents where based on slavery like in the South's constitution for example. Whats the counter argument to this?

And there's an example of that argument being used.

Kek
I'd fuck her but I mean come on

"Those" slaves were not for sale Duh.

M-more kurd female soldiers pleaz senpai

What did the south want the freedom to do? Please explain user.

Most of the answers so far are dead wrong. You guys had a civil war because after saying "Fuck this we are seceding", the South didn't just leave it at that. Instead a bunch of sothern soldiers attacked Fort Sumpter and from that point on war was inevitable.

If the South had not initiated violence they probably could have seceded peacefully, and if the North was the first one to attack later on the South would have had more support.

that's a pretty basic bitch tier oversimplifcation of something that was actually a pattern of behavior towards southern states in the union leading up to the civil war. but it's your opinion, and you are entitled to it my good man.

>bought all the slaves
woulda been cheaper in the long run,
but politicians don't usually think in the long run

for someone who is willing to debase everyone else in the thread under the guise of providing "wut rly happnd", you seem to be wisely not mentioning the fact that both the union and the confederacy claim the other side started aggressions at fort sumpter. in the interest of legitimate and productive historical discourse, i think we should include it in the record, don't you?

>600,000 Americans dying
it was almost double that, when death from
disease and malnutrition is included,
best estimates are about 1.1 million