Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
What do you think? Is free will real or an illusion?

All our thoughts and actions are the product of chemical reactions that are just as deterministic as any other chemical reactions or physical processes. Your sense of control and agency is something that happens downstream of the actions your body was going to do anyway.

Derp

It is an illusion. You cannot even "will" yourself out of depression. Free will is not real even in your own headspace.

As long as you're alive you have desires, these desires is what gives you this illusion of free will.

Font? pls respond

ofcourse its real sadly op choose to be a faggot

illusion

>Fem QeK
Is it wrong to fap to a rule 63'd Egyptian god of chaos?

D E E P

Post some rule63 pepe pls.
Thanks

It's real insofar as we're not bound to our own innate genetic programming.

People who are more intelligent, more rational, more introspective... have more freewill.

People who are little more than base animals, who are driven primarily by instinct and impulse, have less.

Real.

It doesn't matter. Knowledge is a means, not an end, and is therefore not an absolute good. It is better to believe that you have free will than to believe in determinism. The human is not equipped to deal with the notion that its actions are determined right down to its very doubts about its own will.

This.

What would the evolutionary reason that gave rise to this unshakable illusion be?

I'm just going to wait and see what I think.

Determinism is real

Free will can only exist in a deterministic universe, because determinism is the basis for making decisions about the future.

i.e. Compatibilism

Real for those who have enough criteria and knowedgle to distinguish, and false consciousness for the sheep who believe in distorted realities and have imposed thoughts

this doesn't mean that everything is deterministic, it means what you perceive as your conscience being is more of a reflection and there is a latency between your "will" and the body's actions

you're still your body, so those actions and what determines them are still you, it's just that the perception of being some cerebral, rational actor all the time is off

an evolutionary advantage of this would be influencing others and your future self through the passing of information. how would that be possible without the creation of some sort of personal identities, languages, cultures, etc?

and what I mean by it not being deterministic is that these influences aren't simple chemical reactions but a foreign system. light entering your eyes might be a chemical process but the words that you are interpreting are a complex process of everyone and everything involved in the author's life.

being able to pass on knowledge to your children is one of the biggest distinctions between humans and animals which has allowed us to shape the world

bump