Why doesn't Russia just join NATO?

Why doesn't Russia just join NATO?

I think this would clear up a lot of things.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1991/12/21/world/soviet-disarray-yeltsin-says-russia-seeks-to-join-nato.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We tried 3 or 4 times, NATO refused. So we don't give a shit anymore.

Because

Russia has more army than any other european state, why would it even need NATO and orders from the USA? It can stay as a fully independent country

>Why doesn't Russia just join NATO?

Russia has their own set of Jews. They don't want anything to do with us.

No one has no invite us

Bullshit

Russia would be a counterbalance to USA if they join NATO.

And all this conflict between Russia and NATO over Ukraine and the baltics would be over with

Russia is part of the west, not the enemy. I know there are some pissy slavshits who genocided eachother and still blame the russians, and some americans who fell for the commie propaganda, but other than that, unless your flag has black or rainbow, there is literally no opposition to russia in the world.

Russia should absolutely join Nato

>Russia would be a counterbalance to USA if they join NATO
lel

why can't they be a counterbalance to USA outside of NATO? Doesn't make sense

Wasn't Yeltsin talking about NATO and EU membership during the 90s?

>In 1990, while negotiating German reunification at the end of the Cold War with United States Secretary of State James Baker, Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev said that "You say that NATO is not directed against us, that it is simply a security structure that is adapting to new realities ... therefore, we propose to join NATO." However, Baker dismissed the possibility as a "dream".[101]

nytimes.com/1991/12/21/world/soviet-disarray-yeltsin-says-russia-seeks-to-join-nato.html

USA is leader of NATO. They could drag whole alliance in wars to favor of US, how it was with Iraq or Lybia.

They're masters of alliance, and other countries are irrelevant fuckbois.

Because without an outside threat both sides would go bankrupt due to their military industrial complexes slowing down.

also this So no NATO for vodkaniggers. I guess peace was never an option.

how is that an answer to my question? You just wanted to point out that european countries are irrelevant? Fine, but Russia is a poverty ridden shithole

then how could we start WW3?

>I guess peace was never an option.
The US government wanted you destroyed and unable to reconstitute a working state and they largely succeeded. You did a lot of it to yourselves desu. No one hates Russians more than other Russians.

Russians are scum

They order to do what the fuck they want (lybia, iraq, etc), they're selling US arms to whole alliance.
I meant that US don't want to share their rule over alliance with someone.

Russians wanted to enter NATO on equal terms as partners with America in the 90s.

Americans wanted Russians to grovel and beg to enter NATO, and to cuck themselves out to US interests to stay in NATO.

Russia told the US to fuck off.

This. If I had to choose between a full scale war with US and NATO like alliance with Russia, I would choose war with US over an alliance of Russia. You can never trust Russia. They are the enemy of mankind. Honestly, if they ever get a chance, they would destroy half of the Europe for lulz.

It's not a surprise that it didn't happen then, but it is a little bit of a surprise how Russia has fared since. EU and/or Europe would be so much better off with real Russian influence like how V4 do now, but Russia has too many problems and tries to fix them with nationalism. Joining in the early 90s would have been nuts, it would just have been dismantling NATO and creating something new.

Poland, Czechia, Baltics can join because they can dismiss fears of American influence by pointing to how bad Soviet influence was, Russia can't do that to themselves so all they have is fear of US influence.

>nytimes.com/1991/12/21/world/soviet-disarray-yeltsin-says-russia-seeks-to-join-nato.html
>The Soviet Union was represented at the start of today's session by the Soviet Ambassador to Belgium, Nikolai N. Afanasyevsky. But before the four-hour meeting was over, Mr. Afanasyevsky stunned the foreign ministers by announcing that his country no longer existed

Mentioning it briefly during a meeting that started with the USSR existing does not count as "trying to join 3 or 4 times". Russia cannot seriously consider joining without feeling like they are betraying themselves. There's nothing stopping them from trying to join now that didn't exist in 1990s. Russians think issues like human rights issues during Chechen war or Syrian war or whenever are just excuses, and it's not like it would make sense for Russia give up Chechnya to join.

Russia can't govern itself with outside influence telling them how to deal with Chechnya in the 90s, so it dealt with those issues the only way it could. Syria is different, if RU-NATO relations were different it would be possible trust that a change in regime meant they still had control and Russia could have negotiated a solution.

>Russians think issues like human rights issues during Chechen war or Syrian war or whenever are just excuses
Because they are. "Humanitarian Intervention" is propaganda.

>Because they are. "Humanitarian Intervention" is propaganda.
Then it's not an excuse, retard. Syria and Chechnya were both "humanitarian" interventions.

I doubt that in 1990 Gorbachev himself seriously considered any possibility of joining the NATO, even if NATO agreed. It was really "too soon" at the time. Had someone asked 10 years later, who knows.