How does one read philosophy? A Sup Forumsack told me to buy this book and thus spoke zarathustra...

How does one read philosophy? A Sup Forumsack told me to buy this book and thus spoke zarathustra, and to start with this one first. I read the first 7 pages and have no idea what is going on. Can someone give me some pointers so I can understand philosphy and truly become a redpilled man a defender of western civilization?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B1WsrS4WaMc
youtu.be/3w5bGC9u1_M
youtu.be/JVr3kb7R5To
historyofphilosophy.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe spend more than 5 minutes with the book before going back to posting on Sup Forums if you want to get something out of it?

I dislike Nietzsche.
The Greeks and Romans are much better.

Seneca, for example. Or Cicero or Epictetus.

Don't read german philosophy its for cucks and fags. Aristotle is for newbies

you're gonna need a companion text for explanation, my dude

Learn formal logic first

Nietzsche isn't philosophy

Philosophy is generally considered to be thousands of years of argument. Nietzsche spent most of his time criticizing other philosophers. If you want to really understand him you need to go back and start with Plato's Republic. Then maybe some Aristotle but especially Descartes, Kant, John Stuart Mill, and Schopenhauer. Nietzsche is a good pick but a lot of it needs context.

Why? He isn't actually doing philosophy and Nietzsche doesn't necessarily require formal logic. OP wants to get started and chose a book that is too difficult for beginners.

What is that?
Why?
I listened to Republic as an audiobook. Where do I next?

Where do I start?

>dae read?!
>i could have grabbed a pic online but I had to show you guys how smart i am with muh book
>did i mention i read
>i read.

Start with Socrates as a foundation. I started with the Meno. It allows you a good grasp on the Socratic method.
I enjoy this guy's lectures if you want to dive further into the readings.
youtube.com/watch?v=B1WsrS4WaMc

>starting with NEETzsche
that's the equivalent of trying to climb K2 when you've never been outside. work you way into it.

You can read some Stoic works but reading their Wikipedia page is probably fine. Maybe jump into Descartes next and move forward chronologically from there.

youtu.be/3w5bGC9u1_M

Type in "how to understand philosophy" into google or youtube
>profit

Should listen to thrice's new album, they applied a lot of philosphy and politics to their new album

10/10

Wait, they're back together?

link to new album?

Yeah, I'm sure it's totally deep and not at all ambiguous and superficial.

youtu.be/JVr3kb7R5To
Just youtube it

don't worry about ol' nietzsche
he wanted to fuck his sister
the guy was in denial of God existing
this was degeneracy v1.0

Way to give something a chance you pessimist.

Contemplate and compare the meaning of the words used by the author. Align your own definition of these with the definition the author brings forth. If you feel confident about that, you can progress and start contemplating what's written in that book with less misinterpretations than before

Can someone help me out?

A friend I used to hang out with gave me a small philosophy book, I lost it before reading it and I've been trying to find it for a long time now.

All I can tell you is that the cover had something to do with an ancient mythology story of a guy carrying a huge sphere on his back.

I vaguely remember him saying the book was about the morals of suicide

Thanks for reading double niggers.

Start with The Myth of Sisyphus. It is the easiest philosophy book in the earth. Here is the intro
>There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest— whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories—comes afterwards. These are games; one must first answer. And if it is true, as Nietzsche claims, that a philosopher, to deserve our respect, must preach by example, you can appreciate the importance of that reply, for it will precede the definitive act. These are facts the heart can feel; yet they call for careful study before they become clear to the intellect.

I forgot, translated works usually suck because it's full of misinterpretations by the translator (see holy texts for reference)

Atlas Shrugged

Should have started with the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Its free, and provides pretty good explanations of most things. That should only be your starting place however. If you read something, and become interested, check the reference section to see who else has written about the topic, who disagrees with them, and why

smoke a bunch of weed

Ancient Philosophy is very different from modern one. Different aims.

Stoicism is superior to modern philosophy.

OP,

I have the same barnes and noble copy. More Nietzsche, i recommend ToTI, Gay science, and the anti christ.

Philosophy is theology without faith. Just go one step further. Read theology.

Read history and if you cant understad it go to philosophers

Honestly, you should take a 101 course at your local community college if you're interested in philosophy. It can be difficult going into Nietzsche head-first without understanding the historical developments of the field that led to his perspective.

Superior how? I do like that Stoicism tries to give a way of life and it can be useful in many ways. But, the idea of living according to nature falls apart when they fail to explain what nature actually is.

What im gathering is I need to start with the greeks and then read the romans?

This. The Romans were based as fuck.

Start with Meditations. It's short and also simple. It's just enough to draw you in. You'll be hooked.

I should say the Roman Stoics.

Nietzsche spends a lot of time shitting on the Greeks, the Bible, and philosophers from Descartes up. Roman philosophy probably isn't necessary outside of Stoicism if you become interested in that.

The man`s program described a lot of the world we live in today. The Gemealogy of morals, or where our morals come from is his analysis of where morals come from and what morals aim to do. For example Christianity, they way he saw it, is a religion for sheep because people give over control to a higher authority, they martyr themselves for salvation afterlife. Well, now that`s fucking convenient, for say an organization to use as a state religion. I am not going to write a blog post, but to say he sought another kind of moral system, one that recognized man`s best nature - a sort of Will to Power.

Even an "Intro to Philosophy" book with excerpts from different philosophers' writings and commentary in-between would be enough to give you some perspective on what each philosopher's general ideas were.

Fuck that. Hegal is based

Philosophy major here.

The first year getting into philosophy seriously was difficult. Philosophy is very dense and can be very poorly worded. Reading philosophy is no easy task, so much so that I find myself taking longer to read texts rather than faster as I get older. so tip #1 take your fucking time. It's not a race, so if you find yourself dozing off or just getting bored, put the book down.

tip #2 engage with the author. I recommend highlighting the book as you go, but if you are just taking it from the library try writing in a journal. This will both keep you engaged in both the argument at large and making sure that you understand what the author is trying to say.

#3 Start meditating if you haven't yet. Practising mediation is a great way to build your concentration and clarity when reading. For philosophy, especially if you continue it in the long run, you'll need it.

#4 Not really much of a tip, but be sure to find your right reading time,place, and drink. My routine is waking up at 6 everyday to read with some tea outside. very peaceful. good luck!

Nietzsche was an anti-christian lunatic, and he landed in alunatic asylum, rightly so.

Men need a higher purpose to be moral, if you give them over to some "do what you will" - "will of power" nonsense they become decadent.

That is why he has been promoted by our enmies. He is even mentioned in the protocols of zion, alongside Marx. (wether they are true or not, it makes perfect sense to promote him , if you want to dechristianise and demoralise a society)

Ok its not necessary if you just want to read Nietzche in the bathroom while you take a shit, but if you want to actually understand digest and seperate the useless from the useful you should learn formal logic. Shitty logic + philosophy = communists

What's a good intro philosophy book?

kek. Fair enough.

My advice would be to make sure that you read a ton already before getting into philosophy. Read some novels, self help books, non-fiction on things that interest you. Start with a couple intro to philosophy type books. Reading is like a muscle, you need to have it pretty well built up before you can get the most out of philosophy. I like to watch a few videos and lectures on a philosopher before I get into them. I HIGHLY recommend the book Sophie's World, it's like a philosophy course written into a novel. Good luck

>Philosophy major here

Im a freshman in collge, and im definitely interested in majoring in something like philosophy or more likely English or History. It pretty much doesn't matter what I major in since I come from a well connected family.

Is it worth majoring in? If I wanted to do something outside of my family business are there decent jobs available?

Kek, it might sound pathetic but Sparknotes is your friend so you can understand the context of what he is saying and the general idea of what's going on

Yeah i've been doing that. I'm the guy who does the constant hemingwayposting on Sup Forums. You are probably right, though.

I know a guy who had a really cool job after majoring in philosophy.
He would crash lectures by famous people, talk shit to politicians, and slept in a barrel.
People payed him for it i shit you not

Did he now?

Follow the timeline, usualy modern philosphers are influenced by olders, and you need to understand the olders to read the new

>repeating memes

> Is it worth majoring in?

Majoring in philosophy by itself is not something I recommend. I'm sure there are opportunities out there that you may be able to get with a philosophy degree, but for the most part philosophy is usually meant to be as a stepping ground to further your skills in a different field.

For instance going into law will usually give you a huge advantage over most since law is very similar to the thinking of a philosopher. As for myself I intend to go into education reform, possibly go about in as principle, so philosophy is still very much relevant.

If your a freshman in college I highly recommend figuring out what the fuck you want to do soon. I knew a lot of kids who fucked themselves over by putting off their plan in life.

Did not understand the hype for Birth of Tragedy. Maybe if I was a classics professor? Seems like it gets pushed hard from pseuds.

Go to the library or download some The Great Courses on philosophy. Listen to the lectures and go deeper by doing the readings as well. Listen to these podcasts. historyofphilosophy.net
Trust me; I am a professional.

should have got this instead. far more practical

"Modern" philosophy doesn't cover what could be called the private sphere, which is responsible for daily routine

Notice how that philosophy doesn't really wonder about human traits, what is virtue and what is vice, how one approaches family and work

Modern philosophy covers only what's statist and public. It either really subordinates your life to one last distant goal (like communism) or is completely negative like Kant or Nietzsche. Does people in reality only tell us how you shouldn't be christian. They propose nothing instead

Nietzsche is really a publicist, not a philosopher. I suggest you start with articles on counter revolutionaries like Burke, de Maistre, de Bonald. They will red pill you

Don't start with Nietzsche. He's often rebutting earlier philosophical ideas.

You should begin with the Pre-Socratics and work your way somewhat chronologically from there. Follow some undergraduate course outline if you need structure. Don't skip any major schools of thought though, as some courses do. You want a broad collection of knowledge in the end.

PS
Nietzsche isn't a nihilist.
Also who the fuck had you start with Zarathustra and Morals? Beyond Good and Evil is way less opaque.

START

WITH

THE GREEKS
>reads nietzsche without reading the greeks