Why do you believe in free will when it has been demonstrated to be an illusion?

Why do you believe in free will when it has been demonstrated to be an illusion?

I don't have a choice. I believe in free will due to deterministic factors

I use free will to not think about it

Oh shit OP just got fucking owned by a leaf.

I never did, I'm a Calvinist

You don't know what free will means.

You mean dogmatist?

>asking why we believe in free will
>like it makes a difference if you accept it doesnt exist
>not realising that trying to persuade people free will doesnt exist is an acknowledgment of free will

Fbbp

I don't.

No it isn't. People who make claims like this don't understand free will or its implications.

>disagreeing with me using free will

its a nonsensical concept. define it

appealing to rationality to change my mind is accepting that I have the free will to decide

By dogmatic I assume you are referring to the systematic theology presented in the Institutes of the Christian religion or the Affirmations of the creeds, canons of Dort, the Heidelberg Catechism, and the Helvetic and Westminster Confessions of faith? Then yes "dogmatic", but no more so than any other properly organized church. Basically, what's your point/criticism?

Bingo

if free will doesnt exist then there is no such thing as true or false

>stefan molyneux debunked determinism
>tests proving determinism are flawed and don't fully support it
>if determinism is true implying we should be responsible for our actions is ridiculous

Free will being an illusion is pretty comforting.

I have no control and the fact I'm a loser was inevitable.

are you an abbo?

He could be destined to do it thus, and you may be destined to ignore it and continue believing in free will.

The determinist position is unfalsifiable, so this entire debate is pointless because nobody can know for sure. Either everything is predetermined by the first cause and free will is an illusion, or it's not and we actually have free will. Doesn't change how we act IRL.

>yes goyim, free will is an illusion

Fucking hell this board is dumb. Why is it that the only good conversations about free will are on /sci/?

Possible, but whether i choose to accept that or not demonstrates free will

If its unfalsifiable then its not that we cant know for sure, its literally nonsense, muh logical positivism

Then refute our points abbo

again, it all depends on your definition of free will

its just a term

if you can pre-determine what choice something is going to make, is that 'free' will? it all depends on your definition of free will

there is no practical benefit or gained understanding from asking about "free will"

>>if determinism is true implying we should be responsible for our actions is ridiculous
WRONG

Could you explain how this isn't a non-sequitur?

Why does he believe in objective truth when free will is an illusion?

I believe in Free Will because it is useful. I want to believe.

How so? We dindu nuffin. Just followed them massa programmer codes n sheit.

>there is no practical benefit or gained understanding from asking about "free will"

couldnt agree more

I'm not sure if the validity of the argument itself is relevant, the concept of free will is inherently unknowable (it doesnt/cant apply to any empirical concept) and therefore any valid argument provided means nothing; the ontological argument is valid, but its just as absurd

better question, is an actual oracle possible?

Eat shit deterministically.

Seriously. How is it wrong?

>choice
>illusion
pick one

>it doesnt/cant apply to any empirical concept
What the fuck are you babbling about? Decisions can be observed a pastriori, you dip.