Do you think physically punishing kids is viable in this day and age? Why?

Do you think physically punishing kids is viable in this day and age? Why?

If so, where is your boundary between harsh parental discipline and child abuse?

Never strike in anger, or after the age of twelve.

kids need to get the shit beat out of them to learn their place

Commensurate punishment for offense. You don't beat your kid up for giving you a soda instead of a beer. But if he steals another kid's toys, it's lashing time.

If you love your child you will not spare the rod. A parent that hates their child spares the rod.

No, corporeal punishment is one of the longest-standing delusions in human societies.
Google "tibetan parenting tips".

i personally dont do it. but its on the table if what they do is severe enough. has to be pretty fucking bad though.

What causes a parent to strike his/her kids in anger? What's the main cause?

Yes.

Never in anger and only for breaking a pre-existing, discussed, and understood rule. The punishment is also laid out before hand. Lying, 10 swats with dad's hand or 5 with the belt. Never grab, poke, scream at, curse, or lose control when disciplining. You do that and the kid is just learning how to beat people he's mad at. Wait a day, then administer the punishment.

Also, let them know you are disappointed in them. If you have a good relationship with boundaries, that goes a long way.

Up to the age of 12-13. Then star taking away things that they want, which you the adult pay for.

Occasionally a teenage boy will rebel so badly he needs his father to give him an old fashioned ass whipping. That is tough one though.

Here is how I explain it to my kids after about 13: "Teenager" is an invention of advertisers and corporations, reinforced by the public school system. There are only children, young men and women, adult men and women, and elderly men and women. Teenager does not exist, you are either a child, or a young man. You have a say in when that happens up until around 16. After that, I consider you a young man or woman and will expect you to behave that way. If you do not, there will be consequences.

Russians are the people who beat their kids as punishment.

It all depends on culture as well.

Just look at the responses from westerners such as
They advocate physical discipline but yet IRL most western parents wouldn't even touch their kids.

i like the ethos here, but i would have a hard time hitting my kids, but i have girls so far so its a bit different.

I think a quick smack upside the head is fine.

>where is your boundary between harsh parental discipline and child abuse

The physical discipline should be only as a means to correct behavior and not to physically assault the child. It should be more of a "shock" than an all out ass whooping.

I think spankings on the ass, or a slap on the back of the hand should be fine. Obviously no actual punching/kicking etc. Nothing that could be seen as torturous.

But yea mild acts of physical discipline should be encouraged. I mean it worked for literally 5000+ years of human history. It's only the last, what, 30 years that it's been politically incorrect and/or illegal to hit your own child.

Some times spank their hand if they refuse to obey.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.
I can only think of a few kids who grew up fine who weren't punished in a serious manner.

>Russians are the people who beat their kids as punishment.
Even if it is true, so what? What's your point? You think the fact that I happen to live in Russia necessarily makes me to agree with what many Russians allegedly do?

>look at the responses from westerners
Sadsts and sociopaths. Be it my will, I would ban such people from procreating. Really, psychological evaluation should be obligatory for "young families".

That was the worst for me, waiting until my father came home from work to punish me for something I did.

Dont cut the skin or break bones; everything else is game. Shock punishment is effective. So is poison to make them shit or throw up.

Throwing them down a flight of stairs is probably too much.

>country full of alcoholics
>violence breaks out over stupid shit
>poverty

Thanks for the parenting tips!!!

If I literally think of all of the worst kids I grew up with 100% of them were beaten at home and screamed at constantly.

I live across a canal from some bad apartments and I've seen some welfare parents screaming profanities at their kids and threatening to knock them out. - Do you think this will help the kid ?

As opposed to figuratively thinking?

Is this jailbait OP? I have the feeling it is. This better not fucking be jailbait!

I hate this country more than you amerifart can possibly imagine. So, no, you can't possibly trigger me with something like that.

Also, I don't remember offering "russian parenting tips". The tibetan ones are based though. Just google it - too long to fit in a post.

Why do you even care?

That's a woman signaling she is ready for reproduction, that's all you need to know.

You can't lose control with children. Those parents sound like they lose control of the situation. It teaches that it's ok to flip your shit and act hostile when you're made.

I think that when children are defiant and they intentionally disobey a parent should calmly discipline them and explain to them why.

Nope, only a physical restraint if they are lashing out is necessary.

Anger, causes parents to strike in anger. Fucking Malays I swear.

That get cannot go unchecked.

She is 24 years old though

It's necessary in some cases, certainly effective if done properly. Retribution must be just, it can't just be you taking out your anger on the kid. If done, it shouldn't leave any permanent scarring or marks, not because of state intervention but because that's a good benchmark as to whether or not you're hitting them too hard. Taking away privileges is also effective. These methods show that if you do something stupid in life you face consequences for your actions, a lesson many young people today certainly must've missed out on.

My state allows parental corporal punishment so long as it doesn't cross into abuse territory, learn your state's law. Just know that you must be just, fair, and balanced as a parent. You don't want to punish your kids so much that they develop distrust towards you, because that could mean lashing out for the sake of lashing out. You want to be their friend and mentor, but they must know that you're in charge and have the ultimate say (assuming you're the father, and you must assume the head of household role if you're a man, none of this equality bullshit, your wife is like a child too to an extent). The concept behind Machiavelli's Prince is a good example of this, be a good leader so that people listen and follow on instinct, allow for freedom but know when to put your foot down and do so justly with calculation for outcome, for if you step too far your subjects will rebel where they can.

If I ever have kids I'm going to follow this. I'm also going to put on a Judge Dredd helmet before I spank them, mostly for the lulz.

Come 'ere!

wtf i love digitz now

You're right, but why do you think parents beat the shit out of their kids?

Short tempered? Stress relief? Their kids are fucked in the head?

If your kid comes out as a faggot at an early age, tell me you won't beat the sense into him.

I'm having Deja Vu for some reason

She's actually 26

I was thinking along the lines of stress, vice or being a degenerate druggie parent

nice bait

you must realize 'rod' means wisdom or intelligence as in 'thy rod and thy staff they comfort me'.

also kys for using a book to justify an obviously wrong act

As a parent, I must take this check as a parenting tip from the keksiah himself