Why did this particular year (and 2008) feel so different?

Why did this particular year (and 2008) feel so different?

Something changed, and I'm not just talking about social media either.
Reality itself felt different.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2007_anime_television_series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Agreed anûn

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2007_anime_television_series

It was a great year for anime

It is the year the forces began tilting the other way in the timeline wars.

A stock market crash can do that.

Pic related my imdb ratings. Very interesting year.

The fucking recession

fellas thats the year macbooks got fuckin reeevamped bigtime. and the iphone

Facebook and the iPhone made the internet more accessible to more people and gave them more reason to be on 24/7

well i was hitting puberty that year so reality for me felt different, worse desu

that was 2006 when they switched to intel from powerpc chips

women and niggers started to internet

Height of the economic bubble, most people were walking around and surviving off of a literally illusory economy. A sense of the surreal would be entirely natural.

damn, then my guess it stands out for some sort of prosperity whiplash when the tides turned until we formed trump.

It was when everyone just settled on the fact that gen ys are gonna be faggots for life. Not just an annoying phase triggered by limp bizkit etc.

CERN.

The end of the Bush era was on the horizon and there was a huge financial crisis

probably the year you got out of high school

I know that's the case with me...
>tfw you're almost 30

Collapse of the western economy.

Titor got the IBM 5100 back.

This. Also Bush was a lame duck president, the Iraq War had proved itself to be a failure, and there was a widespread sense of wanting to move on from the stale ideologies that led us to this point.
This is the vacuum Barack Obama stepped into, though he quickly proved himself to be an effective guardian of the status quo as opposed to the disruptor people were hoping for.

emo and scene were a thing

This was the year people started talking about the recession like it was a normal thing.

Like EVERY SINGLE DAY, all the news talked about was the economy crashing. Like the way they talk about almost nothing but Trump these days. And they did this for years, until about 2011. Every single day just talking about how our economy was tanking and the US was getting worse. And growing up in that, you just assumed "well I guess it's always sucked like this." We didn't know any better cause it's all I had ever known the news to do (born in 1995). It wasn't until much later that I realized "the economy sucks, everything sucks, businesses suck, you'll never get anywhere cause the government sucks" wasn't always the default mindset for us Americans. It was like having a constant burdening depression forced upon you by the media and it lasted for years.

That started in 2007.

Also cell phones an social media became HUGE. I mean it was already big, but by 20072008 it was HUGE. If you invested in Facebook back then, you're a fucking rich man by now.

kek, also remove of free trade and the wildy. But that's not what you're talking about.

Cern, mandela effect
Not hard to explain this one...

Removal of the wildy and free trade. the riots.

Is this not obvious?

Mandela effect

Holy fuck I know, I'm only 20 but I distinctly remember when Superbad came out. It's already been 10 years and Emma Stone is turning 29 this year ):

The year everything cut to black?

Melancholy and chaos fused together to make anons

why does it make sense.

I was born in 95 too, I was just starting high school and every time the news was on I heard the phrase "economic downturn"

Modern internet and social media became taken for granted, 9/11 didn't feel like "yesterday" anymore, economy was teetering, ending of Dubbya's reign, 'No Country for Old Men' and 'There Will Be Blood' got us ready for decline and dog-eat-dog scrap haggling; mainstreaming of (((manchild))) in movies and (((Juno))) girls.

The recession hit hip hop culture. Hipsters became a thing.

THEY were let out of prison. Been there since the big flood. Just wait for disclosure.

Every team in college football lost in heartbreaking ways and LSU dicktripped their way to the national title. That's why it's called 200X

>Modern internet and social media became taken for granted,
I would say that social media really didn't become politically relevant until 2013. 2013 is the turning year for alt-media.

>If you invested in Facebook back then, you're a fucking rich man by now.

They weren't available for the public to invest in until their IPO in 2012. Even then I wrote them off as just another myspace. Boy, was I wrong.

That's 2008.

Rip

feels like the early 80s, idk why exactly tho

A young rose came alive.

It's the year I awoke KEK

Yeah "scene" kids were a nightmare.

I didn't understand enough back then to know the details beyond "everything in the news is bad right now" and I think the constant "economic downturn" news had a real effect on people even today.

iphone?

It was pretty much the time where social networks kicked into full speed and led us into the "I'm so nerdy!" culture that reached its apex in 2011-2012, and got killed in 2016.

Yeah, 2011-2013 also feels like something changed right then, after the failure of OWS. I'd say it was the rise of social justice culture into the void left by the old economic revolutionary feeling of the left.

Oh. My mistake then.

I guess most people made the "it's just like Myspace" mistake.

I've thought about here recently.

2007 was the year when the iPhone was released.

The same people who would call you a computer nerd back then are now the same people who seem to have a smart phone permanently glued to their hand.

Has anyone felt depressed after taking the redpill?:(

>I'd say it was the rise of social justice culture into the void left by the old economic revolutionary feeling of the left.
You are exactly right.

Oh yeah. Computer nerds had their "palm-pilots" before iphones became the norm and then all the rest of the smartphones and we got to "today."

king nigger

For me it was the year I got pokemon diamond (I think)

It was also the last pokemon gen I played and probably year my OG DS was getting old for me. Afterwards I got into flash crap online games when they peaked.

Fug where did time go?

>please dont judge

2008-09 and there was something more fundamental brewing before that.

DON'T STOP

it was the year i first came to Sup Forums?

>2007 was the year when the iPhone was released.
Yeah but most people didn't have an iPhone in 07. Smartphones didn't become huge until 2009-2010.

face phones>slide phones>smart phones

I went without a cell phone up until about 2012...

My company bought me one because I refused to buy one.

One of the most annoying/depressing things about our current culture is looking around you and seeing people glued their smart phones.

The depression comes between the redpill and figuring out what you can do to fix shit.

actually

keypad phones>flip phones>slide phones>smart phones

The year before I had gob

You're most likely a few years older than me. If you were a kid in high school/finishing middle school in 2007, you were dying for a cell phone or the other kiddos would ostracize you.

Now I couldn't give a fuck and I think my phone is a piece of shit and I'd refuse to buy one the same way as you. But for kids seeing everyone have one of these amazing little things and how sleek it looked was powerful.

The idea that you could "watch TV while outside of your house" fucking blew my mind as a kid.

having to fake being a normie is the worst part. its tough

smartphones have killed genuine relationships.

In 2005-2006 90's influence are still the thing, good shows no one is easily get offended. 2007 is the turning point, my fave shows on mtv are gone non pc once like jackass wildboyz and Slowly PC revival from 70's is being re-introduced.

The only thing that weirds me out is the fact that I can't really remember anything from the past. My friends are always like "Hey remember when we did this and that" and I'm like no.. When the fuck did that happen. Something happened.

>figuring out what you can do to fix shit

im honestly stuck here.
all i can think of is
>find conservative wife
>have kids
>raise them right

the wife part seems to become increasingly impossible

Because I was 16 and had a girlfriend. Also I lived in a land without winter.

Its the year after switchover year. The switch is becoming more appearent until it becomes obvious in 2008.

In 2007,I was just finishing college/

I was the guy giving out a landline number to girls. Even then, chicks were like WTF.

I dated a chick who once told me: "I can't date a guy without a cell phone"

Then she offered to put me on her family plan.

Fuck that shit. We broke up 2 weeks later

because you're me and had a ton of life-changing shit happen to you?
no
because youre underage and thats when your balls dropped

it cant be that. every time this thread is made EVERYBODY agrees that something happened that year

but what? aside from 2008 fucking everything economically

Heh yeah. TV though really? I just thought it was badass to have a phone that you could just google something whenever/wherever. I can only imagine in 10 years when some bullshit VR glasses come out and you see teenagers going holyshitdamn and obsessing over them. Gonna make us feel old.

i was like 14 and it was probably the last year i was ever happy

2007-2009 is the start of the large increase of PC and Cultural Marxism. Obama got elected because the economy was in a depression and the wars were still raging. All TV shows as if in lockstep (almost all ugh) pushed the same narrative. We were already used to token black and gays but now it's even worse. This marxist narrative was massively funded and pushed in all media, education, and government.

2007 is the year when technology became consumerized and normalized for the masses.

Nowadays, if you try to make small talk or ask someone an honest question, they'll look at you like a retard for not knowing how to use Google on your phone.

The year Bob passed away (2007) reality began to collapse/change radically

OBONGO KING NIGGER

2008 is the year we agree things changed though. And I still think it's because the media became collectively depressed until like 2011 that year, insisting that the "economic downturn" was the worst ever and things could only get worse and that the US was at fault for everything.

I remember companies like Nickolodeon and Disney selling portable TV things that only played videos from their networks and you had to buy each episode as a separate cartridge. And I wanted one of those.

So the idea that you could do that kind of thing, access the Internet which I had always thought of as a luxury like cable tv, was mind blowing. Being able to google stuff too.

s a g e d

>777 kek

SAGE

Wait wait wait Pokemon Diamond was a fucking decade ago?

Fuck I didn't need these feels right now.

Y-yes user I can remember sitting in car with dad having copy of diamond and getting all excited over it. Now nintendo is dead to me user

Agreed mate

Also just hit me that 2007 was a decade ago, fuck

Hipsters became a thing in 2003, and a big thing 2004-2005 when electroclash was pushed by VICE magazine, and Dov Charney began expanding American Apparel at a rapid clip. By 2008, hipsters were in their third incarnation, Gavin McInnes having left VICE, and dweebish geeks running rampant in pop culture.

Yeah but Hipsters weren't all that well known until 2008. I know I never heard of them until 2008.

>The same people who would call you a computer nerd back then
It used to be worse. During the 90s, if Chad found out that you knew how to so much as operate a computer at an entry level, he and his buddies would kick your shit in. Now all those same fucks can't even unless they shit up some corner of the web every day.
>TLDR 30-somethings are full of shit. So full of shit.

Also, conspiracies began to seep into the mainstream circa 2011-2013, as Alex Jones was profiled by Rolling Stone, and Obama wasn't who people expected him to be.