CALEXIT the Comicbook

bleedingcool.com/2017/02/20/calexit-california-seceded-usa-matteo-pizzolo-amancay-nahuelpan-put-politics-back-comics/

>What if a fascist, autocratic President took over the United States? And what if that President lost California, the sixth largest economy on Earth, by nearly 2-to-1…a margin of almost 3 1/2 million votes? What if the day after that President took power, the largest mass demonstration in history occurred, and the state with the largest turnout was California. And then, the following week, two of the largest international airports in the world, California’s LAX and SFO, were blockaded by protesters? What if California refused to be ruled?

Matteo Pizzolo has talked to Bleeding Cool about his new series for Black Mask, Calexit, with his Young Terrorists co-creator Amancay Nahuelpan

>Ever since I was a kid reading V For Vendetta or a teenage shop clerk hand-selling Dirty Plotte, I’ve always believed comics and punk rock are the preeminent art forms for sharing important, and sometimes subversive, ideas. Now, more than ever in my lifetime, many of us are looking for everyday heroes who will take a stand in the face of regressive forces. Only in comics could Amancay and I do a project like CALEXIT, an urgent story of right now that we can create collaboratively within the activist community and do so without any corporate interference. The fact that the comic market will support challenging storytelling and that we have the platform to create without any restrictions is a true blessing. I consider it our responsibility to use that freedom in a positive, constructive, and fearless way. Even though CALEXIT has a bleak starting point, it’s a hopeful book. It’s not about divisiveness, it’s about solidarity and inclusion, and it’s only possible for us to tell this story because of the utterly unique support of the comic market”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HvYjApa01bk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>This is the world of CALEXIT, the new ongoing comic book series launching this May from Black Mask Studios, a timely title about resisting oppression, punching Nazis, protecting each other, kicking ass, and demanding liberty for all.

>This is a special moment in the history of comics. We re experiencing a real renaissance of progressive and political comic books and graphic novels,” said Matteo Pizzolo co-founder of Black Mask Studios and the writer of CALEXIT. “It’s not by accident that the first comic to win a National Book Award is the incredible MARCH by Congressman John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell or that images of anti-fascist superheroes are capturing the imaginations of people around the world right now. There’s never been a more diverse range of comics that speak to our politics here at home or to the unrest around the world.”

>In CALEXIT, the citizens of California will struggle to seize power back from an autocratic government. The ongoing series tells the story of Jamil, a 25 year old courier (aka smuggler), and Zora, a 27-year old leader in the Pacific Coast Sister Cities Resistance, who escape together from a prison camp in Occupied Los Angeles, where martial law has been in place for the past year ever since America’s demagogue President signed an executive order to deport all immigrants, and California responded by proclaiming itself a Sanctuary State. Each issue of CALEXIT will also include non-fiction material about local sustainability and grassroots campaigning for 2018 elections.

Lol, yeah sure. One state v the US military. That car wall/barricade would be blown apart in minutes by artillery. Some of the largest military bases in the USA are in California (San Diego) or next to it (Nevada)

>“I cant think of a time when confronting the status quo with progressive, political art has been more important,” said Brett Gurewitz co-founder Black Mask “Black Mask Studios has consistently focused on stories that are both entertaining and have a real message driving them. With OCCUPY COMICS we published stories devoted to the goals and themes of the Occupy movement. Since then, we published stories about living under a fascist state (GODKILLER), about fighting celebrity politicians (YOUNG TERRORISTS) and gentrification (THE DREGS). We’ve published the 2017 GLAAD nominee KIM & KIM, and the creators of the breakout hit BLACK have donated proceeds to Black Lives Matter

Rest of the nation's electricity prices would plumet.
More water for midwestern states since it would no longer need to be diverted to Californa desert farms.
Reduction welfare burden

lmao where did they get all those guns?
they made them illegal in Commiefornia

>everybody is antifa
>they are the good guys

sigh

Southern California gets it water from out of state and they import energy, they would be easy to just blockade/traditional siege sort of wait out.

Probably stole them.

they just had to put a race mix couple in didnt they?

Also minor earthquakes in Arizona, and Nevada from the people there dancing in the streets.

>California exits the Union
>Rest of US diverts the rivers which feed it away
>California suffers the worst drought ever
>comes begging for water from the union
>has to rejoin union with all voting rights rescinded

how dare him cite V for Vendetta

burn in hell

BURN IN HELL

>cali has a large economy because it outsources it's electricity, food, and water costs to all of the other states
>cali wants to leave

I would love to see california start succession proceedings, and IMMEDIATELY lose 95% of their silicon valley companies.

>Antifa just wearing their ninja clothes with no body armor

Light em up boys.

I would pop a freedom boner watching the footage of antifa members losing limbs to gunfire.

Itll never be as good as pic related.

Good, hopefully the State of Jefferson secedes and take half of Silicon Valley with them.

Wouldn't California devolve into state of civil war? I imagine without food coming in and without traditional economy there not only be starvation but food rotting in the fields.

Funny how these guys are trying to sell to a demographic that just don't give a shit about comic books.

The conservative areas of cal are also the bread basket of the state. The resulting naval blockade and trade embargo would wreck the revolt in weeks.

>yfw no one buys it

>Comic books and punk rock.
>Subversive.

I also imagine anyone with money in state of California would up and leave regardless their ideology. Those who have would not dare risk losing all in such foolish manner.

Maybe at one point in time punk rock was musically subversive but it is stale and rigid thanks to clowns like this.

can't wait to kill all these traitors in my state and rape the decent looking ones

Meanwhile in Los Angeles, California today

>Gunman who killed Whittier officer had fatally shot another man hours earlier, police say
>Police have not identified the shooter pending the ongoing investigation, but described him as a Los Angeles gang member who had been released on parole within the last two weeks and had many tattoos, including on his neck and face. He was driving a stolen car from East L.A.

10 internet points to whoever can guess his race

the communist L.A. Times refuses to release his name and race, but ABC 7's camera got a glimpse of the shooter as they loaded him into an ambulance.

Don't they know guns are useless against a government with hydrogen bombs smhtbh

>

Calibros please don't go, I don't want to bring my passport just to get into Wasteland Weekend :

>Jamil
>Zora

I don't even care it's interracial anymore, those names indicate autism now anyways

A lesbian interracial couple at that.

in reality

the US could shut off the water and 90% of the state would die of thirst

most of the farms wouldnt work

Only those who were aggresive enough (cartel members, hangs, the few vestiges of police) would be kept alive

so the population of CALI would be reduced to a few hundred thousand at best, enough to clean up by the US army

>young Terrorists
>considered cool in a comic if they are "liberals"
>considered uncool in real life if they are "Islamic"
Ladies and Gentlemen: double standards in a nutshell.

You see that pile of cars the guy who draws unrealistic cartoons thinks is an effective blockade? There is a vehicle to take care of that in a hurry...

I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA

PLEASE DON'T ABANDON ME :(

Moving out of this liberal shit hole as soon as I have the chance.

>Calexit
>HAVING GUNS
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Calexit is a liberal meme.

Digits confirm

Why bother when an artillery shell could clean up the whole lot?

I'd sign up for the California Reclamation/Pacification Operation in a heartbeat tbqh

this.

why the fuck do liberals think they'd even have guns in this scenario?

>Why bother
Fuck it, it was built, may as well use it.

God I hope the US government doesn't keep giving them water out of pity/PR purposes if Calexit actually happens.

Some people just need killing.

>I would pop a freedom boner watching the footage of antifa members losing limbs to gunfire.

A version of Calexit from a realistic, non-Cuck viewpoint would be an awesome comic.

Wait. Why did California build a wall if #noborders?

I thought California was against building walls.

>ywn join a Jeffersonian freikorps to purge antifa scum
Why even live?

The shovel guy in that picture makes it an accurate representation of the video game Verdun, except the other three guys aren't back in the starting trench "sniping."

aye blin i have been found out

>verdun
my nigga

cyka blyat

The guy closest to the camera looks like a bud.

kobaka leaf

Let them leave, bye mexicans

youtube.com/watch?v=HvYjApa01bk

We'll use it for the mass graves. Also, if Calexit were to happen, how long would it take for the tolerant liberals to start genociding people?

>ywn pillage and rape with the russian army
why even continue breathing?

>Matteo Pizzolo
>Amancay Nahuelpan

Definitely not American names.

Get genocided by La Raza you mean.

This would mandate a humanitarian intervention of course >:^)

That's an awfully bigoted thing to say.

A that might take a while to coordinate. Say, 4-5 months. It would be a shame if we were too late.

The only way that California could realistically secede is if it agreed to give large portions of material to a foreign nation. Preferably a nuclear foreign nation.

They would have to basically become a province of Russia or China. Wouldn't that be a redpilling for these cucks? They would find out what tyrannical government means when they're lined up and shot.

>leftists take-over California
>refuse to let FBI/ICE do their job
>leftists refuse to let Cali state police do their job "because cops is rayciss n sheeeit"
>remember that California is full of savage beaners and niggers
>white law structure collapses, Cali turns into Somalia

We may not even need to invade. The nigger/spic gangs will do the work for us.

I know comrade. Calfaggots have know idea the fire they are fucking with if they destabilize that part of the country.

>Calexit
>not Caleave

god

and i thought ending all controversies in -gate was retarded

please let this happen...

they will be so dependent on us for resources

they dont even know that la is naturally a desert

they dont know that all the grass will die in a month without water

then all the dust will get in the air and they will die from dusty lungs

The russians that invade the millisecond CA secedes won't allow it tho

Where did they get those rifles with the things that go up?

As if California is some sort of ideologically unified place. They would have a civil war if they left the US

Who the fuck?

What kind of person openly celebrating California being taken over by mestizo trash?

Hypothetically, if California secedes what would happen to the people living there that want to continue being part of the United States?

How stupid have you be to think that a bunch of spoiled brats could stop an actual army with decades of experience fighting insurgents in the sandbox?

and if the much evul president wouldn't want his soldiers to shoot his people he could always call upon NATO mercenaries - Poland alone would immediately go for it to score bro points and maybe even get some actual military hardwer

This idea is so dumb that I just can't even

Join the unionists resistance, brother!

Refugee crisis

>we dont want you trump as our president we will succeed!!

>HELP TRUMP WE HAVE A FLOOD AND CANT HANDLE IT

fucking california i swear to god

I liked the premise and the Academy Awards arc was great, but Covington came across a little Aspie. "Handwriting on the wall" kept coming up despite it not being conventional English, "The Old Man kept begging people to put down the nachos and stop typing on the Internet" broke in mid-plot ten times. Most of the ops are laboriously planned in speech by the Volunteers, only for the action to be fairly weak (only exceptions being Portland and the Academy Awards).

Oh, and "like an evil Elvis / like an evil Mister Rogers" was tired pretty quickly.

I'm a firm believer in the Imperative, but at least mechanically I hated the books.

I just wish it was happening in a Blue part of the state