The lion the witch and the wardobe, Turkish Delights

>The lion the witch and the wardobe, Turkish Delights.

Do you think there was any significance to the candy of choice being Turkish delights? Although I'm not religious, and I know this is a christian themed book, was the purpose or citing 'turkish delights' as a method of deceit and trickery a direct or indirect allusion to Turkey itself and its Muslim population? He very well could have made the candy lemon drops or cookies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oAHRp7jjaOg
youtube.com/watch?v=6Fft9DLIp7E
youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE
youtube.com/watch?v=bOgkGzMdieI
youtube.com/watch?v=q6c_dinY3fM
youtube.com/watch?v=xnqIj8C2Aek
youtube.com/watch?v=VggFao85vTs
youtube.com/watch?v=b5tci36bNjg
youtube.com/watch?v=_gOn9MuFimo
youtu.be/kPdxhLUKZYM?list=PLo0ThsDnveH5nv5TNviBrGTX9P6IrYfIe&t=412
youtube.com/watch?v=tPc899uUb-A
youtube.com/watch?v=jgGP_evkvOk
youtube.com/watch?v=TxpIsep4160
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are they anyways, its like fruit with nuts in it?

Yeah also aslan is turkish word for something

What was his obsession with Turkey? Did he immigrate from there or something? I need to google this now.

It's pretty much dense jello with nuts in it, covered in powdered sugar

theyre shitty and disgusting thats all you need to know

Sweet, thick, chewy gelatin covered in powdered sugar.

There are several varieties of them, like with almonds where the gelati has almond essence in it.

Another popular one is with rose essence.

His biography says he was born in Ireland and lived in England. But it does mention some stuff as lived through WW2, maybe thats where the Turkish stuff came in?

I could swear I had some before. I thought it was like mashed up apricots with almonds jammed in or something.

I guess I got kind of an adam and eve vibe from offering up something he wanted to trick him, like the whole apple thing, but I was trying to dig in a little more to the choice.

Starch + syrup + sugar + fruit juice of your choice and whatever you wanna add aswell, like nuts for example.

they're fucking gross gummy things covered in powdered sugar

i had to eat a bunch of them in my turkish class in middle school just to not be rude

"At last the Turkish Delight was all finished and Edmund was looking hard at the empty box and wishing that she would ask him whether he would like some more. Probably the Queen knew quite well what he was thinking’ for she knew, though Edmund did not, that this was enchanted Turkish Delight and that anyone who had once tasted it would want more and more of it, and would even, if they were allowed, go on eating it till they killed themselves. But she did not offer him any more."

I wonder if that is just a device of story telling or he was saying the a religion or political stance seems alluring but leads to peoples deaths. Probably more of a vague bible/apple thing though.

I actually have some Turkish Delights right next to me that I bought at Ross. I wanted to see what they were like.

If you've ever had Applets and Cotlets, then that is very similar to turkish delight.

Its good writing overall, I mean not terrible. Theme-wise I like more like the Alice and Wonder land kind of thing. The theme is more like life is one big non-sense super fucked chaos. Almost like the dialogue in catch-22.

As a kid, I always thought licorice was actually like a mashed up licorice root twisted and covered in sugar or something. Well not exactly, but I never thought it was like 99.999999 percent corn starch.

I've had it before. It's a gelatenous cube covered in powdered sugar. The one I had was sweet and flavored with rose water, which is surprisingly pleasant. and they are usually colored with red dye. It contains lots of sugar so you normally would only eat one or maybe two pieces, so Edmund wolfing down an entire box is supposed to show how greedy he was being and how unnaturally addictive it was.

There are some Asian deserts I've tried that have similar qualities to Turkish Delight, although they are generally more starchy not as sugary. I can't remember what they're called but I liked those too.

The series does have Turkish influences, the word "Aslan" means lion in Turkish

It's turkish for lion right? Not especially imaginative.

I suppose, they did characterize him as kind of a gluttonous douche. But then again they were enchanted candies, so anyone who ate them would have been obsessed. I could see some parallels to the forbidden fruit stuff and I guess the betrayal and forgiveness theme.

Funny seeing how different alice and wonder land was, since it was also a portal alternate world type thing.

Is that Frodo?

you bought it at Ross?

Dune was super religiousy too. Seems like the religious theme trolls a lot of them into getting obsessed with it. Like incorporating it into a story even slightly is so parallel to their own religious mythology that can't help but like it.

It wasn't so much as to demonstrate how gluttonous Edmund is but rather that the witch knew exactly how to manipulate and control him. It was essentially cursed candy, and as soon as he tasted it he only cared about getting more.

Yeah it's that scene where Galadriel feeds him the Lembas bread.

They have some pretty random shit there. Its like half house decor, candles and pillows, then like maybe 20 percent kitchen food stuff and quirky stuff to put in them, the rest filler and shoes.

Did you guys read "do android dream of electric sheep."

The criticism of religion and materialism was great. I wish they had a movie version that focused on that aspect.

Anons, baklava's are really yummy though, Turks do make great desserts

Man you really managed to find the most disturbing still from that movie

Yeah I know, I bought a Citizen watch there the other day

I think i've seen a great eats episode where they make that, or a recipe. Isn't it like a crazy ton of small layers of pastry sheets, butter and like honey or something?

it's turkish for lion

Oh dang, I didn't even know they had them in England.

I was a runner for the longest time even though I'm an extra burger lately. I always bought cheap Casio watches with a timer to I could time my runs and they have cheap water proof versions. Basically I never take it off. I would always short out other ones when I went on a run and splashed some water on to cool off.

Best thing is Mozart's Turkish match. Best Europian turkish shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=oAHRp7jjaOg

All I know is it made me want to try Turkish Delights. They're pretty great. Also the original British television version is better.

Whats the name of that Russian dish that sounds just like that, but is cabbage and like sausage?

Wrong mention

Yeah I need to go back and watch older version, I wasn't very impressed with the movie. Most of it seemed a little off.

The closest thing I can think of is Borsch (Бopщ) soup.

I dunno if I've seen the BBC version. They have the whole thing on youtube, I just looked it up, I'll have to check it out.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Fft9DLIp7E

So far, it kind of reminds me of that crazy green knight movie sean connery was in.

Forgot to add (you
)

Ah that probably is it. I dated some chick who made that for me a lot, though she wasn't Russian.

She probably just banged some Russian guys a lot or something.

>Dune religion
Dune seemed to have a distinct space-muslim vibe to it, although it has been 20 years since I read it. I also remember that there was some mention of the Orange Catholic bible in it, anybody care to give a quick refresher explanation?

You should read the books. Especially THe Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle. The Calormens are basically Turks

I always equated it to heroin

Turkey was most likely the country Afghanistan would use to send shipments west

In androids dream of electric sheep that have a huge analysis and critique religion in general. Its pretty hard to summarize exactly what he was getting at.

Basically everyone has an empathy box at home like a enclosed video game closet room. Then people go in and the see this image of a guy climbing up a steep hill as people hit him with rocks, and when they are plugged into it, they can feel the pain of the rocks.

I guess he ends up equating the essential quality of humanity as empathy, and religion, although a bogus story, is just a way that people can exercise their empathy needs, or something like that. Its like they were joining with the other people in a collective or something. Not totally sure I agree, but it was a cool idea.

K

>Lets put hard crunchy nuts inside soft chewy jello
Who thought this was a good idea.

Anyone else reading the king killer chronicles by rothfuss? Best thing I've ever read. Parts about the tree that can tell the future, probably the coolest and most inspiring pages of fiction I've read.

Damn... btfo

Rosewater turkish delight is best turkish delight.

His critique of materialism and drug use was even better though.

Its in the middle of a nuclear fall out so most animals died, and everyone owns like one animal at least. Its a sign of a status symbol, like a car. Except the main characters animal died, and people without them are super embarrassed if they don't have one, so they buy electric fake animals, like a toupee. The way I read it, it was making people attaching to status symbols like beamers look like ridiculous douches. But I could be wrong.

See Citizens are waterproof, they need to be for when you feel how WET the PUSSY gets, when she sees you wearing a Citizen watch

They were probably pretty desperate for good sweets there. Old school candies kinda suck, like a lot of ones from other countries. I had a cookie from the Philippians before, it was like a lump of bread and that was it. I guess thats healthier for you though.

topkek they were just a popular brand of sweet when CS Lewis was writing the book back in teh day

>march
Nice music but march? marches should be something that sounds like you're stepping on your fallen enemy with every step. Or is it like an April?

Not buying a watch that says

>Swiss made

on it

You're way all I see is shekels to Chinamen

>t. plebs used to shit tier american desserts

Maybe. Actually when I was a runner and worked in a restaurant, I was kind of bone thin, and since our culture idealizes it I had swarms of ladies desperate for it. I think the sweet spot for me was like 165lbs or so, that was like rocker girls trying to molest me every day. Good times.

It all stems back through the past of English literature. If you want to see past negative references to the Turk, look at Shakespeare, where in Othello's speech of reconciliation at the end he compares his fall into degeneracy to the kind of actions a Turk would commit:

"SOFT you; a word or two before you go.
I have done the state some service, and they know it:
No more of that.—I pray you, in your letters,
When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,
Speak of me as I am; nothing extenuate, 5
Nor set down aught in malice: then must you speak
Of one that loved, not wisely, but too well;
Of one not easily jealous, but, being wrought,
Perplexed in the extreme; of one whose hand,
Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away 10
Richer than all his tribe; of one whose subdued eyes,
Albeit unusèd to the melting mood,
Drop tears as fast as the Arabian trees
Their medicinal gum. Set you down this,
And say, besides, that in Aleppo once, 15
Where a malignant and a turbaned Turk
Beat a Venetian, and traduced the state,
I took by the throat the circumcisèd dog,
And smote him—thus. [Stabs himself."

In the late 40s when he was working on the book Turkish delight probably just happened to be something that most westerners hadn't ever had before, save for a select few who were very savvy of their sweets.

Rumour has it also that confectioners in Egypt and India (where Britain used to import a lot of shit from) contained hashish.

Hence it's drug-like properties in the book.

We had an joke here, pretentious people wear swiss watches, curious people wear chinese ones.

I remember my first job when i was 16. It was a big wig 5 star restaurant that catered to the rich tourists, we even got bill gates and julia childs in a few times.

The lead busser who was in charge of the bussing staff had a watch with one mark at 12 on it. When we asked him what time it was he was like "shit, lol I have no idea."

It was an odd place, like the bussers were pretty must semi-waiters and the servers only showed up to do uncorking and take the very first order.

thats interesting, Shakespeare always takes a me a while to decode.

This should also help you comprehend the association between Turkey, Oriental exoticism, and desire and sin in his book:

"Working within the widely current public belief that heredity determined
a large range of both physical and mental traits,43 most
theorists believed that homosexuality would be more likely where there
was a family history either of homosexuality itself or of hysteria, insanity,
imbecility, or criminality.
A variation on this theory held that Greeks (both ancient and modern),
Italians, French, Spaniards, Persians, and other southern or oriental
peoples were more strongly disposed to homosexuality than inhabitants of more northerly and westerly lands. Freud formalized such
theories, as did Richard Burton, who in 1886 appended to his Arabian
Nights an important essay on homosexuality, in which he marked out on
the globe certain "sotadic zones," southern and oriental, in which there
was the greatest blending of masculine and feminine in the personality
and, correspondingly, the greatest homosexuality.44 Accordingly, southern
or oriental images are rife in explicitly homosexual poetry, as in
George Cecil Ives's prose poem of 1897 where homosexuality is termed
"a strange plant from a Southern clime alone upon an English field
growing."

Within such theories and images, a section of Sackville-West's 1928
poem The Land can be understood to deal, not only with dangerous and
fascinating heterosexual passion, but also with the lesbian passions which
she both gloried in and feared.46
Sullen and foreign-looking, the snaky flower,
Scarfed in dull purple, like Egyptian girls
Camping among the furze, staining the waste
With foreign color, sulky-dark and quaint,
Dangerous, too, as a girl might sidle up,
An Egyptian girl, with an ancient snaring spell,
Throwing a net, soft round the limbs and heart,
Captivity soft and abhorrent, a close-meshed net,
-See the square web on the murrey flesh of the flower-
Holding her captive close with her bare brown arms.
Close to her little breast beneath the silk,
A gipsy Judith, witch of a ragged tent,
And I shrank from the English field of fritillaries
Before it should be too late, before I forgot
The cherry white in the woods, and the curdled clouds,
And the lapwings crying free above the plough.

Virginia Woolf, shortly after she found out about her friend Strachey's homosexuality, in a teasing letter pictured him as an "oriental
prince" in a flowered dressing gown.

They should make a candy called English delights. I wonder what they would put in it.

Since this usage of Turkey in other circles of famous English writers is so I do think that was the reasoning behind choosing a Turkish delight of all chocolates to enslave him to hedonism.

Are you thinking of Polish kielbasa? Served with sauerkraut a lot.

They already do that, it's called "English Muffins", you can eat them at McDonalds. Aren't exactly English though, they're just mass produced pieces of bread that say that they're English, consumers like that it's called English because then it feels like it contains a bit of the English spirit inside of it.

>Turkish Delights

The truth about immigration, by the numbers:

>youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Cultural Marxist Jews Admit Organizing White Genocide

The plan to eliminate the white race:

>youtube.com/watch?v=bOgkGzMdieI

Cultural Marxism in action… Political Correctness, the tip of the blade:

>youtube.com/watch?v=q6c_dinY3fM

Cultural Marxism & Social Justice Explained:

>youtube.com/watch?v=xnqIj8C2Aek

Why are we in Decline - Cultural Marxism:

>youtube.com/watch?v=VggFao85vTs

also see

The facts about slavery in North America:

>youtube.com/watch?v=b5tci36bNjg

Cultural Marxist Jews fund media propaganda against whites on an enormous scale:

>youtube.com/watch?v=_gOn9MuFimo

Does this sound familiar at all? (starting at 6:52)

>youtu.be/kPdxhLUKZYM?list=PLo0ThsDnveH5nv5TNviBrGTX9P6IrYfIe&t=412

The Holocaust:

>youtube.com/watch?v=tPc899uUb-A

>youtube.com/watch?v=jgGP_evkvOk

>youtube.com/watch?v=TxpIsep4160

What do the english do with them? Are they pretty similar there?

Do you guys eat a lot of sardines?

shit that looks good

Sorry let me correct that, Turks are exotic, that's why they have "Turkish delights", English are leisurely but traditional, so you have English muffins.

Nah, that does look decent though. My favorite fatty foods are like potatoes with cheese and some kind of meat. A few times a month I'll make pizza potatoes. Like thin cut potatoes in a pan skillet, no real oil used just a spritz of no-stick spray. Then cheddar topping and some chopped up pepperoni on top. Pretty easy to eat a murderous amount of it though so not that often.

>shit tier

My dad's Palestinian and forced them down my throat as a kid because I thought his choice in candy was fucked up. and it is fucked up, If I'm gonna eat some unhealthy sweet I'll choose something made here that tastes 100x better.

Starbursts and skittles are the mana of the new era.

Thats just my opinion as an official burger though.