Went from first human in space to first human on the moon in under 10 years

>went from first human in space to first human on the moon in under 10 years
>still haven't been back
>any trips to Mars are "decades away"
>America can't even get to space by itself anymore

What went wrong? Why does the US government give no funding to NASA and non meme science as a whole (climate change)?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Whitey-Moon-Politics-death-Program-ebook/dp/B00M2766EI
youtube.com/watch?v=iuqU5XSo-1U
youtube.com/watch?v=u-iFUj7Jro4
spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
kearth101.cbslocal.com/2011/07/21/list-stuff-we-use-everyday-that-was-invented-from-the-space-program/
distancetomars.com/
russianspaceweb.com/energia5v.html
arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/nasa-looking-to-accelerate-first-crewed-orion-launch-to-as-early-as-2019/
youtube.com/watch?v=vjwGnix8Vsk
youtube.com/watch?v=W79mIGx9Ib4
youtu.be/NlXG0REiVzE
youtube.com/watch?v=Hs3FCl-ONJE
youtube.com/watch?v=VbilZjbi6ys
youtube.com/watch?v=XxKj_M6q4N8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What went wrong?
Nothing. I think the ICBM's we developed are fine.
I don't think going to mars will improve them further.

> first human in space to first human on the moon in under 10 years

>mfw OP thinks these things actually happened

heumens aren't built for space.

Robots are the huey to go.

>What went wrong?
German nazi engineers who designed the rockets for both American and Russian space programs retired.

who gives a shit about space? You gotta be some 16 year old weeb faggot to give a shit about it. Kys yourself

>What went wrong?
Niggers and spics

>verifiable anyone who can point a laser at the mirror they left there
>USSR wouldn't have fucked up America's shit for lying about this to the world

Surely things they have to develop to go to Mars would also have use in the military too. ICBMs didn't require the Moon either (it was for propaganda purposes sure)

What is the point?

The moon, Mars, Venus.. they are all lethal to human life.

Mars is a dead desert. There's nothing there. And Venus is a superheated ball of poison. The temperature there melts lead. There is no point in space travel.

Literally dem programs. Ever since the Civil Rights Programs tons of black groups have raised a fit that we spend money invested in space rather than paying for them.

amazon.com/Whitey-Moon-Politics-death-Program-ebook/dp/B00M2766EI

The US had the tech ready to go in 1980,but NASA only has ~15 Billion funding and the program costs 100 Billion.
What went wrong is that the space race ended.

the answer to that question is not commonly known, and really outrageous. NASAs funding got gutted after the Saturn V programme, for foodstamps. Apparently some parts of the US population don't see the need to advance mankind but would rather have gibs. I wonder what group of people that could be.

youtube.com/watch?v=iuqU5XSo-1U

>space is lethal to human life what's the point
>Antarctica is lethal to human life what's the point
>deep sea is lethal to human life what's the point

Not like there's mining or innovations that are developed in the process of getting into space.

you're right. Government money is better spent on dem programs

>There is no point in space travel.
1.Cunt
2.Do you realize how much resources are out there?We are talking quadrillions with current technology alone.

Space exploration is a meme, we will never have the technological capability to send humans outside our own solar system. We are literally stranded in endless space.

it's so incredibly sad to see what could've been, and was not realized, due to the collapse of the USSR on the one side and relocating funds for gibs on the other side

Yeah, we've been sitting around doing nothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=u-iFUj7Jro4

What went wrong is:

1. No competition and now "we'll get there first eventually'"-mentality.

2. They realized how unsafe the expeditions in the 60's and 70's were, it is almost to be expected that the first expeditions would have fatalities.

> Linking whitey on the moon
My nigga. Really people don't realize that we don't only screw ourselves in metrics like safety, GDP per capita, etc. with them, but that there are also absolutely MASSIVE opportunity costs we pay by having and caring for them like children, like shutting down the space exploration program.

we have the technology since three decades, it's called nuclear pulsejet. We just have no reason to leave our solar system now, and the greens would throw a fit over launching one. Also you're naive if you think we won't find better means of propulsion.

>we will never have the technological capability to send humans outside our own solar system.
We already do.

LBJs great society is really expensive.

just wait till 2024-2028, we have plans for super-heavy based on leftovers of Buran tech, only this time for real. China and India will show some marvelous machines too

>you will never live in the Martian Imperial Meritocracy

Even if we didnt get to another solar system, why not explore even the inner planets?

(((NASA)))

You're so ignorant. Are you at all aware of just how much modern technology only exists because of technologies developed specifically by and for the US space program? It's literally one of the most economically rewarding scientific ventures in human history.

Russian Space and tech level is not that advanced,
and by 2024-2028 you will be buying rockets from the Chinese and the Indians.

You do realize the us got rid off its old shuttles because they are building new ones that are capable of sending people to mars. Its called the Orion project

I hope so.

Tbh even if we never get resources, I would consider the knowledge and achievement worth the billions compared to giving it out to gibs

basically this

Humans have never left low earth orbit. Mars pictures are Devon island or CG.

The Energija launcher was finished and used twice, just the booster recovery wasn't figured out i think. Such a shame to let a vehicle that capable go to waste.

The RD-170 and it's twins like the 180 and 181 saw and are seeing successful use though, so there's that.

Anyways, even if your space program got some fresh live with the Angara and work on methan/LOX engines, i doubt you'll be capable to field a super heavy launcher and fund the problems something like that could be used for. I really hope i'll be proven wrong, but i doubt it.

There are more than enough competent white American and European rocket scientists at this point to carry on where they left off. Hell, even India is building competent rockets for space projects at this point.

Elaborate.

To decrease existential risk. Waste of trips.

You should be happy about space, leaf blowers don't work there

Jesus, did anybody watch my fucking video? We already flight tested the Orion for chrissake. Manned mission is next up.

Thank you. This thread was very eye opening as to what kind of recessive idiots frequent this board

I honestly rather feed human beings that are actually fucking real than invest in some roleplaying star wars nerd shit which is literally shitting billions of dollars to nothing. Doesn't matter what race they are, they are still humans and until you can prove your claims I'll take the real option over the imaginary

>not that advanced
What makes you think that? They are miles ahead of the chinese in engine and launcher technology, and in many areas on par or better than the US. Just look at the NK33. 4 decades old, designed for the N1. Only now is the US getting oxidizer rich staged combustion to work.

What russia has problems with is electronics, not launch vehicles. That's old material science and physics, they excell at that.

in 2003 our space shuttle literally blew up. Everything we've been sending up has been through Russia.

>What went wrong?
We've most likely reached human capabilities. The same goes for increasing life expectancy, infant mortality. Can't go up very much. The same goes for productivity. Only robots now can do better

it's sad, really. To bad i was born to late to witness the space race because i doubt i'll ever see humanity achieve such amazing feats again.

They give all their money to blacks and the welfare state, section 8 and obama phones

Also while I'm ranting, why do people always compare the Russian and US space programs, and forget about ESA? The European Space Agency has done much more impressive unmanned science missions than the Russians have and they have a participant role on the ISS.

I did,the video speaks for itself really.

>which is literally shitting billions of dollars to nothing.

How is giving money to generations of leeches that never contribute to society not worse?

You must be hanged fucking moron. Overpopulation will be the end of this shihole and you want to feed the people. Disgusting lefty scum. I would beat the shit out of you if you said that near me.

Space race. Nobody really thinks of anyone except US and Russia/USSR despite some countries doing pretty well

Technology from the space race literally made the modern world. There's so much that it's pointless to even detail on it in a post without just providing direct links.

spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
kearth101.cbslocal.com/2011/07/21/list-stuff-we-use-everyday-that-was-invented-from-the-space-program/

And they had to cluster 30 NK33's on the N-1, because the Russians never applied themselves to the problem of scaling.

Between the first and second stages of the R7 Soyuz launcher, there are a total of FORTY combustion chambers in play. No engineer will claim that massive clustering is an elegant solution to the problem of scaling.

Mars is a fuck of a lot further away than the moon.

distancetomars.com/

> I'd literally pay tons of unproductive people who will never make anything of note and who will only ever be capable of low-skill labor just enough to live a still-miserable existence instead of paying engineers and scientists a lot to produce the future engines of economic growth and prosperity and improve life for everyone instead of making things worse by depriving productive people of money for leeches

gee whiz, it's almost as if they were able to scale their chambers up a bit since then. They didn't manage to produce nozzles like the F1, but they aren't stuck with low thrust engines like the NK33 either.

The Soyuz is just used because it works. You know how underfunded the russian space program is since the fall of the USSR, only now are they starting to field a modern launch vehicle with the angara.

one of proposals that will be decided
russianspaceweb.com/energia5v.html

I realise that but that brings its own benefits. To survive months (depends on speed of course) to get there will bring innovation we can use here on earth.

It's not far enough that it would be unfeasible right now

Explain to me why the fuck we would want to go to mars.. tell me why the fuck we would want to waste money doing that? I'll be waiting.

It's one thing to send out drones and to collect samples and it's a whole different thing to send humans out on a pointless mission to mars. We don't want to colonize or terraform mars, it's got a completely fucked atmosphere and inner core, it's a dead fucking planet.

Russian engines are literally only good in some instances because of high thrust-to-weight ratios and in most other metrics lag behind American or other engine designs. Modified variants of the Merlin which have already been used for rockets already beat it out on that metric and are better in pretty much every other metric like specific impulse.

Already been discussed:
and others

I hope you at least wont claim a better use would be muh full bellies

interesting. Let's hope for the best.

trump wants us back to the moon in 2019

arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/nasa-looking-to-accelerate-first-crewed-orion-launch-to-as-early-as-2019/

Every investment in NASA sevenfolds.
Think about it this way.
NASA gets a switch into the US Military budget
For 4 years
this gives the US a 24 year advantage over the rest of the world.

That's way too arbitrary a metric put forth based on an almost impossible to calculate metric. In the 60s, sure, maybe, that seems like a much more reasonable investment for what we were getting. But unlike then, NASA is now massively involved in standard government quagmire, diversity hiring quotas, administration costs, etc. as opposed to just doing straight up science and engineering like it was supposed to. Even if something like a Mars Race kicks off because of how pozzed our government has become you'll literally never see something like the Space Race in terms of development ever again.

I'm not saying that russian engines are more advanced than US ones, that would be a retarded comparison to begin with, simply because both have a plethora of different ones. Oxidizer rich staged combustion is fucking hard to achieve, so is building stable chambers and nozzles. They are obviously capable to produce really good engines, the chinks aren't. That was the original point. And now they've started to fund research on new ones, so we might see something that isnt almost three decades old.

In the US we see impressive work, full flow staged combustion with methane/LOX for example. The merlin isn't really something groundbreaking, its just a newly designed engine, using what technology is available now, optimized for cheap production.

Hope this plays on every board when that happens. youtube.com/watch?v=vjwGnix8Vsk

Tbh I don't trust the Russians to do much competent at this point that the US or a European Consortium couldn't do. Most of their top talent left the country in the last 25 years and continues to do so to come to either the US or Europe where it's nicer and there are better and higher-paying scientific jobs.

also if i haven't missed anything all merlin variants (A-D+Dvac) use a gas generator, so no, they don't achieve a better specific impulse.

you do realize there is a reason we aren't feeding the poor?
The poor are people unable to support themselves and are unproductive.
A good example of this is Africa
It holds half of the world's metal resources with 24 Trillion in the Congo alone.
The reason why it's poor is because the Sub-Saharan African is mentally retarded.

you literally paid them after the fall of the USSR to develope ISS modules and whatnot, so that they wouldn't leave for non western aligned countries and help them get their rocket tech up to date. There's still talented personal left at firms like kuznetsov. And then again, we figured out chemical engines 4 decades ago. Going from oxidizer rich staged combustion to a full flow staged combustion design using methane and developing some new burn chambers/nozzles isn't that big of a step as creating the predecessors from scratch was. They've got a good starting point for engine and launcher technology where they can work from. Their biggest problem is funding, and electronics.

>Most of their top talent left the country in the last 25 years and continues to do so
thats whay they want you to believe. some of those talentive young people think they are irreplaceable and so unique super genious snowflakes that Russia would die without their "talent". Thats bullshit, but it helpes them with their guilt.

Its just the price of diversity

They just argue they're of lower IQ because they are poor and arent eating enough so it's stunting their growth

But then you have to wonder why Africa was considered a "breadbasket" 100 years ago with great conditions for growing many cheap and plentiful crops, and now they are starving.

I almost feel like there's some sort of connection here but I can't find it so I guess I'll give more billions to send them Kraft™ Easy-Dinners™ and make their little bellies full.

I vaguely recall something about a jackass senator pushing for NASA's funding to be cut.

Clip here starting about at about 10:40 showing the Apollo 11 crew faking the approach to the moon by filming a transparency of earth in the shuttle window while in low earth orbit
youtube.com/watch?v=W79mIGx9Ib4

NASA admitting they've never left low earth orbit or get past the radiation belts
youtu.be/NlXG0REiVzE
youtube.com/watch?v=Hs3FCl-ONJE
youtube.com/watch?v=VbilZjbi6ys

primer on devon island and skycrane. parts of devon island are all blacked out on google earth btw
youtube.com/watch?v=XxKj_M6q4N8

this shot here was the first photo from one of those rovers showing a blue sky on mars. nasa was all like "oops"

this is just the tip of the iceberg

>tip of the iceberg
yeah, the iceberg of stupidity

>some white dude really just wanted to draw gundam models and fap to asuka but had to pay bills so had to work for nasa instead.

To this day every decently equipped observatory can measure the distance to the moon by shooting a laser at the retroreflectors left by the apollo and lunokhod missions. The normal albedo anywhere else on the moon doesn't give a returning signal. People like you are retarded.

Africa was never a "breadbasket". Much of the terrain is inhospitably shitty and impossible to cultivate. Not to mention the absurd number of pests carrying diseases that basically destroy the potential for humans and especially livestock to do much of anything. The potential for a breadbasket is only possible in a select few countries like Zimbabwe and South Africa, and that's only with somewhat modern technology enabling it. That being said even with all of that knowledge the average African isn't capable of utilizing it effectively and it doesn't make much difference and they won't be able to improve things without heavy outside Western or Chinese investment.
My school literally has 3 former Soviet (2 Russian, 1 Ukrainian) Physics professors. Don't deny that brain drain hasn't at least happened and had some noticeable effect.

trump has Elon as a extended tech advisor and he knows that SpaceX and Tesla are the perfect private companies to promote these industries

Elon has made rockets 1/10th the price of a NASA/Russian equiv his are also able to re-enter the atmosphere and land vertically

normally a rocket detonates to launch the 2nd or 3rd chamber

the ide was that it drops empty gas tanks that ware dead weight

but if you design it originally to not require as much fuel and you retain the rocket and just need to refuel between flights its alot more cost effective

he also is able to prototype and advance rapidly

they are soon taking over all global satelite launches into orbit instead of russia (nasa even pays russia currently for our space related probes)

That's why NASA and the Russian space agency should collaborate more, I mean more than they are already. Exchange programs for aeronautic engineers, set up Russian facilities in the US/American facilities in Russia, work out these problems. I think we have a lot to benefit from each other

Because we realized how unrealistic space colonization is.

>They just argue they're of lower IQ because they are poor and arent eating enough so it's stunting their growth
IQ is genetic,and the data is made by IQ Research.
>But then you have to wonder why Africa was considered a "breadbasket" 100 years ago with great conditions for growing many cheap and plentiful crops, and now they are starving.
Overpopulation,No innovation and progress,no efforts for building anything,corrupt governments(All because of low intelligence).
>I almost feel like there's some sort of connection here but I can't find it so I guess I'll give more billions to send them Kraft™ Easy-Dinners™ and make their little bellies full.
Please don't push your propaganda.

>What went wrong?

Niggers.

Found the senator's name on the archive.

>Proxmire was head of the campaign to cancel the American supersonic transport and particularly opposed to space exploration, ultimately eliminating spending on said research from NASA's budget.[9] In response to a segment about space colonies run by the CBS program 60 Minutes, Proxmire stated that; "it's the best argument yet for chopping NASA's funding to the bone .... I say not a penny for this nutty fantasy".[10] Proxmire introduced an amendment into the 1982 NASA budget that effectively terminated NASA's nascent SETI efforts before a similar amendment to the 1994 budget, by Senator Richard Bryan, terminated NASA's SETI efforts for good.

>Don't deny that brain drain hasn't at least happened
yeah, but they always overestimate their own importance and the consequence of their escape for Russia. And we have new young specialists already, who also don't want to leave.

Capitalism. There's not much to make money from. If they found reports of massive amounts of oil under Mars you'd see funding again. We haven't even filled out the United States, we don't need space colonies. China does.

Did you respond to the wrong post?

as much as i'd wish to see that, just for the spaceporn that would result in, it's not happening. We're geopolitical opponents after all.

Just because something man made is on the moon doesn't mean that a man personally put it there. And unmanned probe could have placed the reflectors there just as easily. The Soviets even had a rover on the moon at about the same time in history, which could also have placed a reflector. The technology existed for an unmanned mission to place the reflectors.

>I'd rather throwait money down a hole than research technologies which could fill the hole.

Don't bitch about overpopulation and hunger if you don't want to colonize Mars.

>Capitalism.
STFU,be glad that you aren't starving.
>There's not much to make money from.
There is a lot of money to be made from,NASA barley has enough money to build anything.
>we don't need space colonies. China does.
The US needs space colonies,there is no funding though.

sorry.

Honestly, if we took all of our space money and put it toward getting rid of all the useless starving subhumans we could reduce the global population to a point where human life here would be sustainable in perpetuity, barring some kind of asteroid strike.

So while I think space colonization is a pipe dream at best, I think reducing population is entirely attainable simply by letting starving people starve.

>They just argue they're of lower IQ because they are poor and arent eating enough so it's stunting their growth
IQ is genetic,and the data is made by IQ Research.
>But then you have to wonder why Africa was considered a "breadbasket" 100 years ago with great conditions for growing many cheap and plentiful crops, and now they are starving.
Overpopulation,No innovation and progress,no efforts for building anything,corrupt governments(All because of low intelligence).
>I almost feel like there's some sort of connection here but I can't find it so I guess I'll give more billions to send them Kraft™ Easy-Dinners™ and make their little bellies full.
Please don't push your propaganda.

Nobody else is trying, no space race.

It was sarcasm, my man.

It was obviously all lies

you didn't talk about crewed missions. Then the best and simplest argument is, if it was a fake, the soviets would have called our shit out. They didn't, and spent an awful lot of money on their N1 program.

ok