Any Sup Forums librarians here?

Any Sup Forums librarians here?

Is a Masters in Library and Information Science worth it? Is a library career a good choice? I work as a page currently.

Is there an overload of libtards in the library profession?

I'm getting a Bachelors in Library Science, so I've already got some head in the game, but I just wanted some evaluation on my decision, whether it's good or not.

Also should I try joining the national guard or reserves on the side?

Honestly sounds like a comfy job. Go for it.

One of my close friends is a Librarian with a Masters. He get's paid $45k/year to put books on a shelf and assist with research and grant writing.

He loves it, it's totally a job of passion. The ROI on the degree is bullshit. I honestly did not know you needed to be so qualified for it.

If I could go back and do a different degree it would probably be this one. I have no idea how the job market for it is though.

It is easy, that's why I get paid minimum for page work, but it's also too repetitive where I'm at.

I'd like one of those management positions down the line that pay like $150K.

It's very competitive. It took me over a year just to get a page position.

I majored in English, how easy is it for me to become a "page?"

I have no idea what that job even is, but working in a quiet environment is my thing.

Its tough work, they dont sit in a comfy chair all day long reading their favorite books. You'd still be browing Sup Forums anyways, dont kid yourself

A page requires no college experience. You just check in books and shelve them, with occasional odd job tasks here and there.

not gonna lie, the image of a redpilled librarian browsing Sup Forums from his work makes me modestly kek

Are you gonna stock up your library on a fresh batch of Mein Kampf? Please make me believe, OP.

And this is a paid job?

Becoming more automated by the day
Take a look at positions vacant
Librarians who have a job are hanging onto them for as long as they can because nothing coming on stream now
Contracts and part time more common
In the US they're closing libraries according to the news, same in UK
New format with librarians 'roaming' like McDonald's courtesy maids
Universities dumping entire library staff, replacing them with you know who
It's not what it was

I haven't seen Mein Kampf at my library. Only libtard, neoconservative, Trump obsession, and "neutral" political books. I also have no role in deciding what books to get.

it takes a masters degree and you get paid fairly shitty but if its what you love doing its totally worth it. the only thing you're gonna have to get used to is the fact that libraries are very big hangouts for poor people, and a lot of parents just dump their kids off at libraries as if they were daycare.

Sauce please im horny master

Yes, $7.25 in my town. Next level up is around $11-13, which I'm hoping to get.

Trump is going to cut any meager funding libraries currently get. It's a dying field, they will be totally obsolete in five years.

Yeah, this
Forgot to include that

That's why I can always go into corporate, educational, archival and records, etc. libraries.

Yeah librarians like to act like they are these keepers of knowledge but really you're just a professional googler. though really i feel like libraries are pretty important, especially for low-income folks.

Looking more and more like it

Also libraries get their funding out of state, city, and county dollars, not federal dollars.

So no, I don't see Trump having that much of an effect on libraries. He's already flip-flopped on health care anyway.

I am working in a college library right now. It is actually feeling dead about everything. Payment is not good and promotion is only for those really competent ones. I don't recommend it as some old fucks coworkers said people are not lending books from libraries any more.

That's not good if it's a college library, I would think those kinds would be even busier than public ones due to all the students.

Working in a library is NOT a career.
Seriously. IF you want any advancement, potential for getting into higher positions, then libraries are the worst places you can go to. The managment and direction are done by administrators which come from whatever hellhole these cunts in grey suits come from to bore the world to death, and that's it, the rest of the personnel is on the same level, doing the same stuff. There is no career since there is pretty much no potential for advancement unless you are, again, part of the administration in which case you have little to no contact to the library itself.
Also, have fun filing comics and children books because that's what you'll do, all the time unless you work in a campus library.
>t. ran the fuck away from the field after one year because it turned out to be the most boring shit in the universe

nah my point is new material are usually available online, undergraduate kids do not really need to read those tough shit while scholars tend to go to library for old stuffs and get newly published material online.Library is feeling like storage building for old books right now.

I got an apprenticeship in art library a few years ago and it was pretty good. It was fun for a couple of years but at least from my experience and what other people I worked with thought there doesn't seem to be a massive future for libraries at least in the UK with information being easier to access, although I've heard there's some exceptions such as uni libraries that are still doing well. In terms of paying for a degree to become a librarian I don't know if that's the best choice. I did a vocational qualification in very similar field to the one you describe that was paid for and could have also progressed it to further levels of study but I ended up studying Applied science.

Granted I was just a librarian but even the people in the managerial positions had degrees in History, Literature Language, IT, Engineering etc or went the vocational route like me and just worked there way up.

As for the national guard it's definitely good having a back up option but I wouldn't know much about it. Oh as for your libtard question at least in my experience that was definitely the case although that could've been because it was also part of an art museum.

maybe in france but its much less dead-end in the states. getting to a management position usually requires a degree on top of your MLIS but a lot of libraries will foot the bill for grad school.

you also need to be active outside of just doing your job description. planning and participating in library-hosted events/workshops/storytimes is more or less required and you do need an actual desire to want to do said things. i think a lot of people want to be librarians just so they get to see pic related all day, not because they actually want to help the community.