What is a proper translation of the word "volk"?

What is a proper translation of the word "volk"?

"People" falls short.

"brothers born of patriotism"
or more literally: "related by shared identity"

source: I made it up

>What is a proper translation of the word "volk"?
cuck

The man that you can trust to stand with you in a fight?

Folk, retard

"America and its folk"
"The American folk"
"The folk of America"
The word is not used in such a context.

That picture is a dipiction of the character Túrin from J.R.R. Tolkiens "The Silmarillion".

All of those are just fine actually

t. American

Common in the midwest

Its used that way a lot

I don't think that there is one. A sad reflection on the English language (the Eternal Anglo strikes again).

yes it is.

Tribe?

> Englishman not knowing english
It's folk
Thanks for the insight muhamed

So not jews then.

It's wolf in russian

IT'S FOLK

REEE

"Folk" is the Germanic originated version, "People" is the French originated one (because of 1066)
These are literally synonyms

I think you simply fail to grasp what the word "volk" entails.
And I think in being unable to name it you're unable to protect it.

It is both populace, people, race, tribe, inhabitants, all solidified in one simple and natural word that seems crazy not to have in one's vocabulary.

>t. American
Yeah no fucking shit moron, the flag gives that away.
This is probably the best answer here actually.

Turin Tarambar bitch

Try this.

Type in "achtung"

Then type in "Juden"

Then type in "achtung Juden"

(((they))) strike again

the brainwashing is deep

>My people
>My Folk
Though in America it is more often used to refer to family instead of community, which "volk" seemed to be more representative of.
Or more specifically in reference to germany, volk would be the "base" people of a nation. Seems to have become a heavily politicized word in the Nazi era, though, so it was probably a form of slang that was made into a political tool.

On a side thought, I wonder how related "volk" and "yolk" are.

what did Tolkien mean by this?

Yes folk, literally pronounced the same, lay off yhe dope

Etymology
From Middle English folk, from Old English folc, from Proto-Germanic *fulką (compare West Frisian folk, Dutch volk, German Volk and Swedish folk), from *fulka- ("crowd, army"), possibly from Proto-Indo-European *pl̥h1-go (compare Welsh ôl 'track', Lithuanian pulkas 'crowd', Old Church Slavonic plŭkŭ 'army division', Russian пoлк (polk) 'regiment'; Albanian plog 'barn, heap'; the Slavic and Lithuanian words may have been borrowed from Proto-Germanic instead). (Some have also attempted to link the word to Latin vulgus, populus or plebs.[1]) Related to follow.
Pronunciation

(Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /fəʊk/
(General American) IPA(key): /foʊk/
Audio (US)
Menu
0:00
Rhymes: -əʊk

Adjective

folk (not comparable)

Of or pertaining to the inhabitants of a land, their culture, tradition, or history.
Of or pertaining to common people as opposed to ruling classes or elites.
(architecture) Of or related to local building materials and styles.
Believed or transmitted by the common people; not academically correct or rigorous.

folk psychology; folk linguistics

Noun

folk (plural folk or folks)

(archaic) A grouping of smaller peoples or tribes as a nation. [quotations ▼]
The inhabitants of a region, especially the native inhabitants. [quotations ▼]
(plural only, plural: folks) One’s relatives, especially one’s parents.
(music) Folk music.
(plural only) People in general. [quotations ▼]

Young folk, old folk, everybody come, / To our little Sunday School and have a lot of fun.

(plural only) A particular group of people.

We have that here (The Midwest). "Folk". It literally means

>populace, people, race, tribe, inhabitants, all solidified in one simple and natural word

Not only is it literally the Anglo-Saxon descendant of the same Germanic word that "Volk" came from, but it literally means the same thing.

We even use it the same, except we often pluralize it when talking about specific folk.

IE,
>Folks around here [x].

folk

American people say folk all the time actually, especially in the midwest.

All Children of Hurin underwent a curse, their life and destiny were broken, they were killed because of the curse of darkness, although they were in no way to blame.
The Fate of the west.

>It is both populace, people, race, tribe, inhabitants, all solidified in one simple and natural word that seems crazy not to have in one's vocabulary.
That is quite literally "folk", toothpaste. Andrew Jackson, for instance, had various writings on his idea of family, or "folk", and it is essentially what you just said. Perhaps a little looser on the ethnicity part, but that falls to the individual really.

Folk. Kinsmen is also an option, although it normally refers to family.

That's a bunch of okie doke.

I've heard people talk about "their folks" meaning mom and dad, but never for cousins or anything. Some people say kin instead of family though.

Ethnic Group

>Andrew Jackson, for instance, had various writings on his idea of family, or "folk"
Just remembered it wasn't folk, but "kin" Jackson went on about. Typically means the same thing, though.

>(not comparable)

>it's another European thinks he needs to explain our own language to us episode
Your a pompous little bastard aren't you.

Idk. My whole family (especially the Nebraskan German part) say folk when they talk about extended family, even 2nd cousins and shit.

I've heard folk used for mom and dad but also used just as another term for people

usually smaller towns

Grammatically correct
We don't use "folk" in that sense in Florida

Why was Jackson so based?

Probably something like Family, but on a nationwide/ethnic basis.

They may have been doomed due to the curse but at the very least they were avenged when Morgoth was cast into the end of the world. A fate worse than death.

America is too multi-ethnic to consider our countrymen family. (it's also why this country will never agree with socialized healthcare to be honest)

I think the way we adapted to using is fine, just our families/extended families or some communities.

Will the Men of the West rise again though?

Southern culture heavily emphasized pride in males, and Jackson was one of the best representatives of how one should conduct themselves in honorable, daily affairs.
Jackson comes from the same culture that will eventually give birth to the chivalrous cowboys of the west. Both were mostly born from the need to coexist with rivals in a lawless land, so reputation and honor are of course valuable. Really interesting topic, really.
You can almost trace the "original American" on their journey east to west, becoming more depressed over each generation, until eventually the culture degenerates to the point of the "Gold Rush". It is like a tale of the American's attempt to escape the reaches of globalism, only to be inevitably engulfed by it on arrival to the west coast. Sad.

kinfolk

That picture is the cover of Children of Hurin

kinfolk means you're directly related to the people you're talking about though.

'followers'

No, they are completely dissolved among others. Only a few dozen remain in the end (Aragorn, his son, and a few dozen of other dunadain). And they are also bound to die out.

I get what you mean, the Norwegian "folk" is more intimate than the English one.

Thede

Shut up nerds.

I charge you in the name of Ilúvatar
Go away silly child
You are not worthy to inmost knowledge

volk - autochtonic peasantry

I do not have a beard and my hair is not such long.
But you almost guessed.
Thank Manvё

lel

>slavik
I am actually Ivan, silly goblin

Kith and kin

kith, kin and klan.

Plebs