Name one thing college can teach you, that YouTube can't

How to run for office?

Lab technique. You gotta do those things over and over to get it down.

I get what you are saying, but that is about practice. College doesn't teach you practice. Practicing is up to you.

chemE major, totally agree. Literally like 99% of videos relating to chemistry lab technique are completely useless..

Can you guys give me an example of a "technique" that only college teaches?

How to interact with people and not be a sperg

Great answer. Lab experience and knowing how to read/write a proper scientific paper was the most valuable take away for me.

Let me know when you can afford $50,000+ machines regularly used in bio/chem/physics labs.

How to be a Jew-Neger

It can teach you that you now own a shiny piece of paper that says you have qualifications.

How to deal with your peers in a professional setting based on your major. Group projects are both the worst and the best. This also goes for professors and how to deal with their individual styles. Being a specialized computing major I can also say I have full access to play around with really expensive equipment on a daily basis whenever I want.

how to talk to grills and how to do a keg stand without puking on the keg

Column chromatography and every type that entails. Organic synthesis and not just the funny picture. All implications of data analysis, how to run a sample on FTIR UVvis NMR SEM/TEM. For physics chemistry and biology research, the breadth of how to conduct research is the core part of those degrees.

How to socialize and interact with people you disagree with.

Or I guess, how to deal with and tolerate other people.

Lab experience is an interesting answer. Though not really relevant to a good number of majors.

$50,000 machines vs $50,000 educations. really makes you think

if you actually watch these videos you are a lost cause when it comes to interacting with others

How to shit on canvas and sell it for money.

How to drink so much that you cant remember playing in traffic and raping white bitches

STEM subjects, Youtube won't grade your problem sets or pressure you to form study groups before an exam because there are no exams
Also programming, because projects with feedback is the most efficient way to get professional-tier skills

As an executive who has interviewed and hired at least 50 people in my career a college degree tells me the following:

You can commit to something long term.
You can show up for something on time consistently.
You can work in a public and social environment.
You can compete tasks on time.

Basically, it tells me you aren't a dog shit tier human being that makes up about 70% of the population.

>Also programming, because projects with feedback is the most efficient way to get professional-tier skills

Personally, the only classes that actually taught me anything with any real world application were my English and Communication courses.

English taught me how to be discerning with information, and how people try to convince and persuade you through ethos, pathos and logos. Every day I ready news papers and articles, all I think about are the ethos, pathos and logos of what I am reading.

My communications class just taught me how to be better when speaking to other people and to prepare material and think on the spot.

I plan on teaching myself CC and how to run HPLC. Can't be that hard.

Good expansion. There are so many intricacies in the lab that a 5 minute YouTube video doesn't teach much. these techniques aren't like a recipe where you follow instructions and it works 100% of the time. Oftentimes you are working on novel ideas and you have to have a solid understanding of procedure and theory so that you can actually design your own experiments. That can't be taught via YouTube.

A lot of college is a bullshit excuse to take money from people who have no choice, but there is also a lot of expert knowledge you can get that just doesn't exist on youtube or on google. Its true you can learn a ton from those sources though, more than most people realize.

Working in professional teams, assuming your program is worth a damn.

People dedicate their entire lives to being thorough and complete in their area at college and have done so for many generations, a youtuber making videos, even if they're passionate, will never be the same.

Gonna teach yourself how to do hplc from YouTube and then you go break someone's $200000 machine cause you clogged the fucking column and wrecked the internals

holy shit, underrated

Are you... seriously trying to imply that having correct syntax in Visual Basic is all you need to have professional software development skills?

don't let discourage you

that's awesome

OP's question is autistic.

This is the most wrong answer.

doctrinal approach to the alenchus

As an employer, why should I trust you?

You're the most wrong answer

Becoming a Doctor can not be learned on youtube... But I'm sure a few years of internships under a doctor could produce a doctor... so yeah college is pretty useless imo.. just a way for businesses to get "qualified" people so they don't have to train what they consider as stupid people

Shut the fuck up.
You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about and are just spouting memes like the underage child you are.
Fuck off.

nooo, I was implying that a project in a language that gives you compiler errors, is technically a project with feedback.

Let's hypothetically say you could learn like that.. the point is what good does that do you? Why should anyone trust you to preform that job? Because you promise you are super good at it?

The fact of the matter is this is about credibility, not the learning itself. That is what you cannot get from YouTube.

Law, physics, quantum mechanics, astrophysics, rocket science.

Anything really in-depth is impossible to learn just through YouTube. You need to be with real scholars and contributing to the field. You can learn about these subjects on YouTube, but you put them into practise with only YouTube.

There's more programming resources online than any other skill you could want to learn.

The decrying of higher education on this board is ridiculous. Just because you can learn some shit off of youtube doesn't make you more inquisitive or analytical (i.e. the secondary objective of education).
Higher education has a very specific purpose, it's to make more critically thinking people in an enviornment where they can interact directly with the material they're working with. By OP's argument we should have abolished universities when the first encyclopedia came out.

Anything that gets you the big bucks pretty much, meme studies like sociology and most liberal arts you can pretty much learn on youtube. A lot of trades can be to desu

You mean (((machines)))?

How to read MRI images

You literally have laboratory courses in college
Practical application

>user goes to job, smirk on his face
>walks in, is directed to the boss's office
>"Uh, user, may i see your graduation certificate?"
>user smiles confidently
"I don't need one. i learned everything on youtube!"
>"get the FUCK out of my office"

>A lot of trades can be to desu

WRONG. if you scroll up and read the replies on this thread, you'll see that the most common retort is lab experience.

a 4 tradesman has more field experience with tools and equipment, than a 4 year college graduate.

Yes I agree those resources are the best thing for getting started with programming, I even recommend self-studying for getting started, but I'm talking about the advanced level stuff like good habits with memory management, API design, documentation, practicing version control in a group project, best practice for code structure, understanding why some languages or data structures are better than others for certain applications

The things you can easily teach yourself by self-studying might get you past the first phone screen when trying to apply for a job in the real world, the remaining stuff is a lot more difficult to pull off if you're not in an academic environment

How to use a Varian NMR sprectrophotometer and how to program 2-dimensional sequences like HSQC-TOCSY

>it's to make more critically thinking people in an enviornment where they can interact directly with the material they're working with

Except 95% of them aren't this.

It's 200 people stuffed in a room playing out slightly more respectful high school 2.0

This

When you have a question in a live lecture you can ask
>Hold on, how do?
and get an immediate answer from an expert who you can keep pestering until you get an answer right there and then.

If your watching a pre-recorded lecture and you didn't understand something, hopefully it was nothing specific or else you won't be able to google it

In Varian

Also the example videos are analysis not programming

Then that's a failing of the college, not a corruption of their purpose. I'm of the opinion colleges should be more exclusive. I was talking to some dumb cunt who plans on failing a mandatory US govt gen ed after getting a 25% on a test. She's a junior.

One thing grad school has taught me...

one of us
one of us

you're reaching and you'll never be as smart as someone who studied stem in a conventional setting

>the secondary objective of education
This message was brought to you by the School Board for Higher Eductation ®.

The first is to teach you the relevant material

also, the homework from the conventional setting is important.

>practice makes less imperfect

A Youtube video will not replace the mentoring or the connections that you get from your PI and committee.

Schools have access to equipment that would usually be unattainable with your own capital. A fMRI, for example, can cost millions of dollars.

>moving the goalpost

social skills

>not just using Sup Forumsdpt for feedback
I mean the feedback you get will be along the lines of
>You're using ___? Use C
>You're using ___? Use C++
>You're a fucking retard
>I can do it better
> >>>>OOP
> >>>>Procedural
> >>>>Functional
>Your code looks garbage
>Wear a skirt, you'll do better
>Those 50 lines can be condensed into 3 lines
>[Actual advice, it's shit]
>[Actual advice, you already knew it]
>[Actual advice, it's good]
>[Actual advice, it's so far above your knowledge you don't know what he's saying]
But they can help.

Well we still live in a society where a stupid piece of paper qualifies your for higher paying jobs.

>social skills

critical thinking
+
how to successfully navigate a bureaucracy day after day

no one is gonna hire you without a degree unless you want to get a job thats gonna be automated in 15 years.

This is a bad answer. Young adults can get way better social skills by participating in a real community with permanent residents of different ages, than by spending four years in the warped bubble-world that is college. (Although this does not apply to Community colleges or the rare school that is extremely active in its city.)

>Critical thinking
Haha not gonna find that on today's campuses. Your 2nd answer is somewhat true, though a job will also do this.

Really whoever said lab experience had the best answer. It's pretty much the only tangible asset that is unique to colleges, and therefore not YouTube-able.

you mean until your automation do-hickey breaks down, and you don't know how to find a faulty relay, or a bad hydraulic cylinder, or an excess differential pressure, or a ceased up solenoid, because you went to college for something like business management

lol, don't kid yourself bud

i am a non-college educated applications engineer, and I can do a screen cap to prove it.

it can teach you the value of a stupid piece of paper.
I could have probably learned most of the stuff from my Econ bachelors off the internet, but if I walked up to an employer and said, "Yes take me over all of these qualified degree holding people; I learned from the internet!" They would laugh in my face and show me the exit. No one would accept me for a masters program. No one would really care, because even if you became the best economist in history, you have no $50000 piece of paper to back it up.

The internet: good for learning shit like cooking or how to tie a tie. Not good for serious studying.

So believe it or not /pol has a high number of people with degrees in STEM fields, myself included. Now you can either take our advice or try it on your way.

>> example learned about CRISPR gene therapy/editing 6 mos before story broke.

So I'm guessing your lack of answer means that you can't learn how to program HSQC-TOCSY in a Varian machine from youtube

You think all the retards who work in factories are going to figure out engineering?

This is completely destroying my perception about what sort of people visit this site

College -IS- pretty shit these days. But it's not about learning anything.
It's about proving you can stick to it and make it through, thus marking you as reliable, and therefore, hireable.
That's what the degree is. Proof that you can put up with bullshit for years.
Just like every job, ever.

Agreed and with technique is also interpretation. Most videos on YouTube just suck at that.

Aerospace engineering, also lol anything to do with strategic analysis on a business level. Look up Harvard business publications, they have a monopoly in this and they're making a killing on the profits. Anything business related with case studies you have to pay for.

You're getting kind of specific..

I'm sure if I spent enough time to learn about HSQC-TOCSY and it's underlying technicalities from the tube, I could be adaptive enough to apply my knowledge on any platform

;)

Not in a Varian, like he said

Exposure to ideas in unbiased forms.

"Factory workers are idiots" is just a shitty meme propagated by the left because they are butthurt these people stopped voting for them. Many manufacturing jobs require quite a bit of training and practice; these machines are highly complex and often idiosyncratic. People who can work more dangerous jobs like steel are rather unique in this age. I guarentee that many if not most factory workers put more thought into their work than any urban studies (or whatever other garbage) grads.

t. college-educated statistician.

t. tard who fell for the college meme

for fucks sake, why this discussion even takes place?
Youtube is jewish datamining/entertainment service where all niggers and faggots put their cancerous videos
College is now overtaken by cultural marxism, but on courses with strict science, like biology or chemistry or physics cultural marxism cannot hold, because those are science, and leftism is anti science

OP is gay

how to set long term goals (ie: four years) and achieve them, how to work hard and how to learn new concepts

There's pretty much nothing college can teach you that youtube cant.

I stopped going to lecture in my final year once I realized how fucking useless it was and just read the book and did the homework.

It depends what you wanna do, loads of the jobs that are being a bachelor wall don't need a bachelor

If you're going into specific fields, go to college but it's you're not then it shouldn't mandatory

>college
>unbiased

kek, literally the primary means of liberal indoctrination

Oh, come on is just telling the truth, most of the time noobs just fuck the system up and make the pressure go bonkers as they never purge the system nor care about the quality of the sample.

Yes a 4 year college diploma is pretty much a piece of garbage these days. However you cannot replace graduate and doctoral level work with youtube.

Any legitimate professional job in a true field (STEM, history, philosophy, medicine, law etc...) requires masters, Phd, MD/DO etc. because you need that education level and cannot receive it anywhere else but in the college setting in order to be proficient.