Tax Fat - End the fat acceptance trend, money where your mouth is

Could the government implement a tax based on Body Mass Index?
>Your BMI is based on your height and weight
>Underweight: Your BMI is less than 18.5
>Healthy weight: Your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9
>Overweight: Your BMI is 25 to 29.9
>USA average adult man has a BMI of 26.6
>USA average adult woman has a BMI of 26.5
Proposition: 10% tax of BMI
If Healthy Weight (BMI 25 to 29.9), save 2.5%-2.99% on taxes)
If Underweight (BMI 18.5-24.9), if not cleared by doctor, pay 1.85%-2.49% more in tax
If Overweight, say 40 BMI, pay 4% increased in tax
Unhealthy/Overweight people cost society a lot of money, time to find a way to make them pay

Other urls found in this thread:

webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20071211/obesity-linked-to-infertility-in-women#1
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361028/
journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050029
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Carbohydrate Tax. Like the carbon tax, except people have to buy carb offsets, based on the amount of calories they consume.

should also have a stupid tax for people like me
*If Healthy Weight (BMI 18.5-24.9), save1.85%-2.49% on taxes
*If Underweight (BMI < 18.5 ), if not cleared by doctor, pay 1.85% more in tax
*If Overweight, say 40 BMI, pay 4% increased in tax

I like the sound of that

why should i pay for being underweight?

>*If Underweight (BMI < 18.5 ), if not cleared by doctor,
if you are healthy and underweight, by taking care of yourself, then you are fine and should receive tax savings for your efforts. If you are underweight and sickly, weak immune system, etc then you need to see a doctor and get better before you end up in the hospital

what about people who were normal weight who become underweight due to illness?

then what about people who work out whose BMI is high but don't have high body fat?

how would you even implement this

That sounds all well and good but how would this be implemented? Some people you can tell but others could fool you with lose clothing and some are on the border of being over/under weight.

-sickies, athletes, cancer patients, abnormal humans with high bmi but no body fat can be exempted by getting cleared by doctor
-mandatory annual checkups
-add it to the tax code, tax code is full of exemptions
>enter BMI into box 34a.
>calculate BMI % into Box34b

currently you need to show proof of medical coverage, like 1095-B, so your medical provider will submit BMI once a year or whenever you feel like getting it submitted

Feel free to hand over your bodily autonomy to the US government. What could possibly go wrong?

Some of you faggots are just determined to be slaves.

something needs to be done
>Obesity is one of the biggest drivers of preventable chronic diseases and healthcare costs in the United States. Currently, estimates for these costs range from $147 billion to nearly $210 billion per year.1 In addition, obesity is associated with job absenteeism, costing approximately $4.3 billion annually2 and with lower productivity while at work, costing employers $506 per obese worker per year.3
>A 2008 study by the Urban Institute, The New York Academy of Medicine and TFAH found that an investment of $10 per person in proven community-based programs to increase physical activity, improve nutrition and prevent smoking and other tobacco use could save the country more than $16 billion annually within five years. That's a return of $5.60 for every $1 invested.9 Out of the $16 billion, Medicare could save more than $5 billion and Medicaid could save more than $1.9 billion. Also, expanding the use of prevention programs would better inform the most effective, strategic public and private investments that yield the strongest results.

Just revoke obese people's access to tax funded healthcare so they stop being huge drains on the welfare state. If they wish to be fat they can pay for the consequences themselves.

Fat people die when they're what, 35? It's a self solving problem.

like unemployment benefits, if you can't prove you are working towards becoming (getting a job) healthier you lose (unemployment ) healthcare

>Unhealthy/Overweight people cost society a lot of money, time to find a way to make them pay
Wrong. Unhealthy people die sooner so they cost less than healthy people. Most healthcare costs are taken up by the elderly.

>In those who were moderately obese (BMI 30 to 35, which is now common), the lifespan was reduced by three years. Severe obesity (BMI 40 to 50, which is still uncommon) reduced life expectancy by about 10 years; this is similar to the effect of lifelong smoking

How is that thing standing

see

Posting before mods (piss be upon them) delete this thread because they need to protect their fellow fatties.

I agree with this, because fatties (like the Sup Forums mods) are a huge burden on the economy but for the life of me i can't see why people would want to willingly get fat.

Normal weight: 18.5-24.9
Overweight: 25.0- 29.9
Class I obesity: 30.0-34.9
Class II obesity: 35.0-39.9
Class III obesity: 40.0 or higher
The researchers found that the risk of dying overall and from most major health causes rose continuously with increasing BMI within the class III obesity group. Statistical analyses of the pooled data indicated that the excess numbers of deaths in the class III obesity group were mostly due to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Years of life lost ranged from 6.5 years for participants with a BMI of 40-44.9 to 13.7 years for a BMI of 55-59.9. To provide context, the researchers found that the number of years of life lost for class III obesity was equal or higher than that of current (versus never) cigarette smokers among normal-weight participants in the same study.

my FFMI is 26.1

even if i had 0% bodyfat i'd still be (((overweight)))

use a more intuitive scale than BMI and i'm fine with a fat tax

That in no way refutes that obese people cost less for their lifetime than healthy people. smokes cost less as well since they die younger.

Eugenics is a much more efficient solution if you ask me. If fatties don't breed they can't teach their children the same degenerate behavior and they will die off.

>political issues
should be ok

webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20071211/obesity-linked-to-infertility-in-women#1

lurk more newfag

mods nuke fat threads on sight, no exceptions, no special cases, just utter destruction.

see

T H I Q Q
H
I
Q
Q

maybe like other sin taxes

good idea

I've never been fat so I support this fax tat

I want to stick my dick between those luscious breast

Are you capable of writing things yourself or just copy pasting numbers that support you? Trotting out obesity's cost on the healthcare system per yer doesn't mean anything. Show me it in comparison to every other cause of people seeking treatment. If obese people have lower LIFETIME medical expenses than they aren't a drain on the system.

as an overweight neet who recently fainted due to a cold + dehydration (vasovagal syncope) didn't pay a dime in ambulance or hospital costs, I felt ashamed that i let myself go as far as I did and my poor diet didn't help... i like to save money, so paying more for sin foods, sodas, donuts, whatever.. i don't know, i should take responsibility for myself, but I haven't up to this point and "didn't think it would happen to me"... guilty feels man

I think it would be worth a try.I wonder, how people will respond?
"Muh descrimination"
"I was born this way I cannot control it!"
"Being fat is perfectly healthy...checkmate"

Measuring BMI is flawed. Is there some other way?

You'd also get a lot of REEEEEEEEE's from libertarians and an-cap types

ban bariatric surgery.

once fat, you deserve to always be fat, you don't get to take the easy way out.

these surgeries are often subsidised by health insurance or given pro bono.

what really pisses me off is in on "my 600lb life" these fatties have to prove they can lose 50lbs in a month just by dieting.

after they lose weight they're given the surgery.

they're obviously capable of doing it if they just work at it!

Good idea in that it is a flat tax, but the BMI is retarded. The BMI counts a fat sloth-like person at 6'2" 280 pounds and a bodybuilding, healthy person at 6'2" 280 pounds as both obese. A better measure would be resting heart rate, for one

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361028/
>journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050029
>Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditures.
I stand BTFO

Body fat percentage

Props for looking into it and adjusting after taking the evidence into consideration. Tell your mother to squeeze out more like you.

Body fat %, but I don't know just how accurate an inexpensive test performed by a doctor could be. I'm a spooky skeleton, so it's not something I have to worry about.
I think there's some calipers that give an estimate by pinching your gut.

>somebody changing their mind on Sup Forums

Does it make you so very, very angry that I'm obese? Damn, food is tasty. So very tasty. Sometimes, when I tuck into a tub of "cookies & cream" ice cream or a bacon-wrapped filet mignon, I'll pause for a moment and think of other people who are upset by us overweight folk. Their tears add to the delicious flavor.

Now, if you *truly* hated the epidemic of obesity in your nation, you would do something about it. Targeting consumers like myself shows laziness and weakness. Targeting corporations like RJR Nabisco, Nestlé and Monsanto, however... well, my good friend OP, that shows courage. Courage I'm 100%-positive you never had. Or, you could start a nation-wide campaign to encourage people to eat healthier while showing them the benefits and techniques involved in calorie-burning exercises.

'Course, I wouldn't expect anything of you. I mean, after all, you ARE OP.

>tl;dr: OP is a pathetic, lazy faggot who blames instead of being a shining example to others

IT'S THE END TIMES!

Except BMI doesn't take into account body composition; many athletes are overweight by BMI while in much better shape than the majority of the population.

A body fat % test would be a better metric, but it's not feasible to accurately measure bf% for the entire population. Honestly it's not really feasible to accurately measure BMI for the entire population, but bf% even less so

OP is obv skinnycuck. Anyone who lifts weights and isn't a manlet will be closer to 30 than 25.