Does America really have a distinctive architectural style?

Does America really have a distinctive architectural style?

Many European countries have a style of building typical of their land, but is there such thing as "classical American architecture" that is associated with the traditional culture of the country?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_the_United_States
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Steel-frame sky-scrapers used to be distinctly American. Now even camel jockies have them.

frank lloyd wright

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_the_United_States
A quick google and you're done

It's called Colonial. Boring wood everything lol but yeah America didn't really have any great architecture...and then came steel and shit got nuts lol

The american arts and crafts style and the american farm house are the two organic and relatively unique american architectural styles. You could make an argument for early high rises as well, although Europe had similar stuff, just not as tall for aesthetic reasons. It was more americans taking the neoclassical style and applying it to a unique building problem than a new style.

Frank Lloyd Wright tried, but he never produced a reliable school, only one off pieces. (I think he was overrated, reacting too much to european modernism.)

There were loads of great neoclassical american architects and buildings (e.g. McKim Mead & White) although it wasn't a distinct style. I always laugh when this crappy pre-WW2 power house that I drive by is more attractive that the million dollar McMansions they slap up here in CA.

Most other post WW2 stuff is jewish: stripped down, alienated and abstract. Read "From Bauhaus to Our House" to understand how we got to this sad state of affairs.

Demands for easily searched information need to be forbidden. This is not political discussion. This is a lazy, easy, quick one-post to slide the threads about John McCain.

Steel-frame is still THE American style. When camel jockies or chinks or tasteless nouveau riche from Moscow try to emulate it it always ends up shitty, out-of-place, and retarded. Kinda like when Americans build neo-Gothic churches - you can tell the style belongs in Europe.

Not since art deco.

> Steel-frame sky-scrapers used to be distinctly American. Now even camel jockies have them.

It is literally called the international style.

No. Our federal buildings are neoclassical architecture which was modeled from British buildings and historical Rome.

I dunno if you can claim Art Deco is specifically American though.

And the World Series can theoretically involve a team from Canada. Names can be deceiving.

everything post art deco has been complete shit

Art Deco was pretty degenerate too.

Neo-classicism for public buildings and urban neighborhoods, and arts and crafts/farm houses for the country when I'm God Emperor.

You can apply for other styles as a neighborhood, but the penalty for fucking up the process is death by flamethrower.

No, nowadays all anyone builds is the same dull glass-and-steel-beams style that seems to have invaded every city

>Steel-frame sky-scrapers used to be distinctly American
But they look so bland and generic.

This

He answered your question, the businesses that construct those giants do not care about your feelings.

Obviously they don't care about anyone's feelings. That style of architecture just screams "I WANT TO MAKE MONEY NOW AND MINIMISE EXPENSES WHILE DOING IT, FUCK AESTHETIC SENSIBILITY AND FUCK FUTURE GENERATIONS"

Well at least those future generations will never lack for office space.

i want comfy tudor architecture now

Antebellum architecture.

The US is large enough that different areas have different architectural styles. Pic related is common in California.