Masters on internet culture and politics

Im a student from Denmark writing my masters on internet culture and its implications on politics. Im trying to figure out how and how much a board like Sup Forums relates to the alt-right, or if anyone feels like part of a movement, og even as a hive-mind, as I read somewhere :-) Ive read a bunch of article's and the like, but it seems superficial and biased. So I thought I would ask you yourselves. Would anyone make their opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailystormer.com/a-normies-guide-to-the-alt-right/
youtu.be/v79HxnWIuNY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>jews

alt-right is a meme term invented by the media in an attempt to identify and group together anyone not in lockstep with their narrative, you ninny

Also see fake news

Alt-right does not originate on Sup Forums but was frequently used here in 2015, very few here would accept this label here now but there's overlap in a lot of the users beliefs. People frequently say "Sup Forums is satire" this is in part true as many people do deliberately say extreme things and make off-colour remarks for humour, truth is Sup Forums leans right but like many sites is made up of individuals of many varying ideologies. There's libertarians, fascists, anarcho-communists etc. here. Given the nature of the Internet and board culture Sup Forums is deliberately contrarian in its views. I myself would say I'm a libertarian economically for the most part but understand certain things need government funding, I also believe in moral absolutes and that Christianity is objectively the best religion and traditional western culture is the greatest culture but we are in moral decline and too hedonistic. I know and love many individual Muslims but accept Islam as an ideology is a threat to me and my kind liberties. I don't care about race but ideology and culture.

fag

That would, then, also be a kind of relation between Sup Forums and the alt-right. To me fake news as a term has degenerated to simply mean a discredit of an opposing view. It's a cheap argument made on every coordinate of the political spectre, right left up down.

We don't need science to research meme magic to come up with some sort of cheap ass ripoff annoying meme-bot against us.

fuck off

fake and gay

How true is this narrative by Andrew Anglin of The Daily Stormer :

"It was on Sup Forums’s Sup Forums that most of the core concepts of what is now the Alt-Right were figured out. Many of the key “anons” (anonymous imageboard posters) from this group were people who had previously been involved in Sup Forums’s Sup Forums, which is where modern internet trolling techniques originated.

The anonymous nature of Sup Forums allowed for all different sorts of people to get together and discuss all sorts of ideas, without having those ideas attached to an identity of any kind (not even an internet pseudonym). Anti-Semitic and racist jokes had been a key feature of Sup Forums, but on Sup Forums the sentiments behind the jokes slowly became serious, as people realized they were based on fact. Sup Forums became a haven for virulent anti-Semites and aggressive racists, and tone of the Alt-Right is drawn directly from these roots on Sup Forums."

dailystormer.com/a-normies-guide-to-the-alt-right/

I'm not "science" ripping anything off, I'm simply trying to understand what's going on.

Just don't, you won't. It's magick.

>masters thesis
>on internet culture

Holy shit buddy where do you see that taking you? Is this seriously what Europeans do?

I've had my bi-curious periods in my life, but no-one at the moment, unfortunately.

90% true. We've been cultivating twitter handles for raids for years before this election cycle and the technique was used successfully ever since.

>masters thesis
>on internet culture

Holy shit buddy where do you see that taking you? Is this seriously what Europeans do?

---

Yes, we do master's like that quite a lot. I'm pretty sure you do that as well.

Try lurking for 5 years and the writing something, now fuck off.

Remember to be good anons and sage.

>masters on internet culture

one of your professors must be an ancientfag or else you've wasted your time trying to learn it from some other party instead of becoming said ancientfag
God save you if he is some reddit lord

I dont know how to quote properly

For what purpose, are you a sociologist? What happens after the thesis?

alt-right is a hardcore group of memers who meme'd so supreme that they cremed.

Don't look into this any further. For your own safety.

Sup Forums isn't apart of the alt-right. There are people here who identify with the alt-right but Sup Forums itself acts independently. That doesn't mean we don't agree with the alt-right however as many of us are NatSoc and our goals are quite similar.

we trolled the world by electing trump

> Masters on internet culture

> Has no fucking idea what Sup Forums is or how it works

Welcome to modern education. Good on you for trying to learn tho.

>he fell for the Sup Forums is satire is satire is satire meme

A Paper on the Proof and Use of Meme Magic

> (You)
>For what purpose, are you a sociologist? What happens after the thesis?

I'm studying modern culture with a great interest in A.I. and the impact of the internet on the political landscape. I'm a great fan of democracy, and I think the web might be great democratic potential, but it might also be the opposite. I see democratic as well as anti-democratic tendencies both within the mainstream and at the poles.

Sites like Sup Forums attract anime obsessed weebs.

Anime is a reflection of Japanese culture.

The Japanese are all far right weirdos.

Hence what starts as a sad hobby develops into a problematic political persuasion.

Healthy young child goes to Sup Forums, gets pumped with massive shot of many memes, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

You might think that Sup Forums is at the center of modern culture or even internet culture, but its not, its a tendency among tendencies.

>writing my masters on internet culture and its implications on politics

ugh

please reconsider your life and career choices and learn something useful

Who did you vote for in the last election?
Who will you vote for in the next election?

Anime butts are life.

fuck off academikike

>A.I.

The Scando is on to us lads.

It is though. And if you spent any time on the internet in the last 10 years you'd know it too.

>great democratic potential in the web.

Of course it does, standing away from that little flag and id next to 'Anonymous' this website is a perfect reflection of democracy in action. A single voice and a single topic and a single post at a time we're all voting and arbitrating what we as a community do. Each equally part of a greater hole. The evolutionary psychology (memes) we operate upon are just as organic as the instruments an individual would use.

It was an argument cooked up in coordination within the mass media quite literally the day after the election to help them dismiss the results and undermine them. I quite literally never heard the clunky term "fake news" until then, where it was used as a political weapon.

It's now used by us because quite frankly the mass media engages in blatant propaganda far more often than we do but pretends it doesn't. Whereas we just don't give a shit about them.

Sup Forums is rightful islamic board my friend. Our only political objective is sharia law for western coutry. We are not part of the racist islamophobe movement called alt right
السلام عليكم ديه

You should leave before you are radicalised

youtu.be/v79HxnWIuNY

Its like you dont remember weeks of Sup Forums jerking eachother off in a circle trying to come up with a name, and then eventually logo

Getting a master's degree in the humanities is stupid. Good luck finding a job at the old humanities factory.

>how much a board like Sup Forums relates to the alt-right

The alt right is a boogeyman.

A shitty designation made up by actual white nationalists and then appropriated by the media to put all their uncomfortable critics in.

Sup Forums is a board of peace.

>Masters degree in Sup Forums
Holy fuck it's too good to be true

> (You)
>>great democratic potential in the web.
>Of course it does, standing away from that little flag and id next to 'Anonymous' this website is a perfect reflection of democracy in action. A single voice and a single topic and a single post at a time we're all voting and arbitrating what we as a community do. Each equally part of a greater hole. The evolutionary psychology (memes) we operate upon are just as organic as the instruments an individual would use.

Would you describe that as a kind of anarchistic democracy?

I really fail to see how

1. you can make a living with this
2. this is in any way useful to society
3. what expertise you've gained that any other moderately intelligent young adult using the internet doesn't also have

What knowledge, what unique skills did you gain?

>I quite literally never heard the clunky term "fake news" until then, where it was used as a political weapon.

I think the term "fake news" originated from the concept oft post-factual society.

I'll actually pretend you're serious and not larping. Are we alt-right? Many, but it's nothing that's promoted, and most that would meet the loose definition have contempt for it because alt right as a label is useless because of a persistent campaign of demonization. Alt right in online media (of the Leftist variety) just means Naziiiiiiiii!

But it's not and never was, it originality meant what it sounds like, a counter point to contemporary "conservative" in the US.

The problem which many others, not just Sup Forums had noticed as that remorselessly over the decades more and more topics were placed beyond the realm of open debate and had reached a cross party "consensus" in American politics. That we should be the world's police, that we should keep waging the drug war, that we should turn a blind eye to illegal immigration, that we should send tens of billions of dollars to people that don't even like us. All agreed upon by mainstream Republicans and Democrats. And we fucking hated it

Go fuck yourself

What does "post-factual" even mean, it's just another cooked up buzzword that circle jerking media personalities use because in their minds what they believe is fact, and if most Americans have been shown to disagree with them then by God that must mean that most America doesn't believe in or care about facts.

I guarantee you that's the depth of their intellectual argument

>The problem which many others, not just Sup Forums had noticed as that remorselessly over the decades more and more topics were placed beyond the realm of open debate and had reached a cross party "consensus" in American politics. That we should be the world's police, that we should keep waging the drug war, that we should turn a blind eye to illegal immigration, that we should send tens of billions of dollars to people that don't even like us. All agreed upon by mainstream Republicans and Democrats. And we fucking hated it

Do you think what I just saw referred to as "the democratisation of the media" by Bannon and Spicer, is aligned with this ambition to have an open debate?

He's just an uni student who doesn't have a clue. If he did he wouldn't have to make a dumbshit thread like this.

> (You)
>What does "post-factual" even mean, it's just another cooked up buzzword that circle jerking media personalities use because in their minds what they believe is fact, and if most Americans have been shown to disagree with them then by God that must mean that most America doesn't believe in or care about facts.
>I guarantee you that's the depth of their intellectual argument

I agree somehow to this, yet the term do point to a new era of destabilized consensus, which produces destablized - pluralized - facts.

we invented "cuckservative" to describe a republican who cares more about israel than they do about america

typical us/them dichotomy meant we had to come up with a name for ourselves

"alt-right" was picked up

cuckservative had its ten minutes of fame and then died out, and so did alt-right

but then the media picked up on alt-right and used it as a blanket term for trump memes+white supremacy

then normies, not knowing the history of the term, proudly co-opted the name alt-right for themselves

anybody who calls themselves alt-right currently is a reddit user trapped in a hugbox, probably not very politically intelligent, and got interested in politics just to spite "SJWs"

95% of Sup Forums realizes how stupid the term alt-right is, and tries to fervently disassociate the term with this place, because even the original meaning of alt-right doesn't describe the diversity of Sup Forums

... seriost?

hvad regner du med nogensinde at kunne bruge den uddannelse til? genovervej dit liv

fucking kill yourself

Sure, although it should come from all political avenues. The major media outlets have for a long time represented a closely matching set of interests coming from the companies that owned them, the political access coming from towing a party line, and the fact that most American journalists come from a very narrow strata of self selected left liberals that attend universities and get communications and humanities degrees.

Which is to say most thr people that are supposed to inform the public are literal know nothings with no ability to fact check information

Nigga No. I just want a lot money and drugs. I want to speak and read Korean and be 6'3. I'm am Afro American btw. I want diamonds also.

"fake news" literally used to mean fake news
as in, websites that invented headlines out of thin air and got stupid people to forward them to their friends in an attempt to make money from ad revenue
like the onion, but seriously

leftists stole the term to mean "conspiracy theorists" or "opinions that I don't like" and used that as a weapon to make normies think that non-leftist news was inherently wrong

Trumpians re-stole the term to devalue it as an insult by labeling all liberally biased news as "fake" news

now the term means nothing, as it should

Did you end up finishing that infinite jest?

As a extradimensional craft entered this world homing in on the radio active signals due to the fact of japan being bombed ending WW2 the americans were quick to react. Taking the creatures back to the US we've made great strides furthering technology.
However their alien features that grants almost superhuman abilities is something the CIA in particular interested in. Psychic abilities were used and tested. These so called mirrors tranfer without being stuck to one single organism.
Whenever you delete stuff on a harddrive, overwrite or copy the data leaves a print. Like dna when multisampling.
Mirrors connect w/o knowing but always obey or are drawn to the thing their host mirror seeks.
The rival to cern which made the first mirror is the japanese KEK lab, this new mirror has quite simply other plans and uses Sup Forums for its own agenda.
Given the events last year it is safe to say the first original host along with the xeno are dead

do your part to combat fake news: install an adblocker.

I've had an adblocker since middle school, it makes me physically ill when I'm on a public computer somewhere or at somebody else's house with the TV on and see an advertisement

I don't see how people can deal with that shit, it's intrusive and disgusting

dont need to tell the truth

use your own head and throw in heavy implications for kicks, teachers luv dat shi, they arent as smart as you might think they are

Held og lykke med din litteraturliste.

There are no destabilized facts, or defeat of metanarratives, or whatever Post Structuralist jargon is in vogue right now.

If someone tells you the sky is green and I say they're full of shit that doesn't mean there's different loci of facts but one of us is right and one is wrong. Human interactions are no different, INTERPRETATION is different, but the events that happen are facts.

But the media doesn't even get that far, they just take an event, parse what supports the bipartisan consensus, edit out what doesn't, and remorse less lyrics suppress anything contra to that.

Thus what Bannon is saying is correct, it doesn't matter r early Who does it but someone needs to burst their bubble

>Jews profit off all human misery
>Jews create divorce and single motherism
>children spend most of their lives online
>Jewish treachery backfires horribly

> (OP)
>Did you end up finishing that infinite jest?

No, unfortunately I was distracted around 50 pages in. But I read a book recently called Brain, Mind and internet by David J. Staley that I think Foster Wallace would have liked.

Many such cases!

/pol has nothing to do with any one political group but the board overall leans right

Tt's hundreds of thousands of internet savy young men combing through candidate's histories who also happen to be responsible for much of viral content online. When you combine these two you get a force that creates easily consumed ideas that can quickly move someone. It's a propaganda factory that works very well.

I see myself that I have been redpilled on forums by seeing statistics and reading facts that are rarely presented in mainstream media. This applies to both Sup Forums and forums in Finnish and Swedish (I'm half Swedish). I see it so that the forums themselves haven't made me alt-right, but instead the facts. Journalists aren't in a conspiracy or so, it's just that globalists tend to become journalists and nationalists more like doctors and engineers.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

actually it is. this place is a perfect breeding ground for weird, dark or edgy humour cuz of its anonymous nature. there's an old MIT research paper on Sup Forumstards you probably want to check out

No. That's a separate but tangentially related topic.

That was used to explain Trump's ascendancy, but it also came with some admittance of culpability from the left, who were fond of the concept.

The "Fake News" meme originated with the DNC and their allies, drummed up post election to describe, at the time a vaguely related to Russia conspiracy theory that the election result was swayed by right wing propaganda spread on facebook and elsewhere - It's implication was that it would need to be "policed" to prevent further undermining of the political system. When pressed for details they would point to stories and sites no one had ever heard of, but also leave implications alluding to sites like Breitbart, Drudge, Fox, etc.

At the time even some far left fringe "journalists" like Cenk from TYT implored the MSM and DNC not to use it, because it would only end up being hijacked and used against everyone else. Which is exactly what happened. Sup Forums even spent many threads discussing how to appropriate the term, which wasn't hard given how open to that attack the left had become with their "post-factual" reporting.

Journalism is I think what you might call a soft conspiracy, it's a field that because of its biases real and perceived filters out anyone that doesn't fit the narrow viewpoint. Once upon a time you'd have people from other fields as contributors. Because they're also so cliqueish they tend to happily back each other up

>If someone tells you the sky is green and I say they're full of shit that doesn't mean there's different loci of facts but one of us is right and one is wrong. Human interactions are no different, INTERPRETATION is different, but the events that happen are facts.

facts are meaningless - they are pure noise of information - if they are not bound by an interpretation of a certain perspective. "Green" is a matter of the human biological and cognitive sensory interpration + a history of socially and materially informed sensory input. No "fact" is ever deductible from this frame of interpretation.

The only thing you'll find here is animu and traps

if you want alt-right interviews, go to reddit/thedonald

You sound like you first visited this site yesterday... Stop posting

> (You)
>You sound like you first visited this site yesterday... Stop posting

I visited the site for the first time today.

It's foolish to think this board relates to any political party.

This is a simple sounding board to make people look racist.

This board is like a happy mistake for COINTELPRO

What kind of a job do you think you are going to get when you finished your masters?

>facts are meaningless

This. No such thing as alt-right.

Which people would frequent boards with anonymity and no strict rules? On other forums your account will be banned or you have to submit to the circlejerk or will be downvoted, maybe even doxxed. So it's just a safe haven for outcasts or trolls or guys who don't want to put their reputations on the line. Alt-right and nazis are here to stay as long as they're the bad guys in the public.

> (You)
>>facts are meaningless

thank you for such an eloquent example of the power of "framing".

Oh please, don't feed me that post modernist garbage. Humans can certainly understand facts. As far as we need to. Any animal can because if an individual chronically believes false information it will be killed by the rattlesnake it was convinced was a psychosomatic manifestation of their id.

How can facts be meaningless. Green is a Photon with an average wavelength of 500nm. I know plants are green because the photovoltaic cell in my spec 20 is set to 520nm and produces a big fucking number if I filter Lake water and grind up the filtered algae, and suspend it in acetone.

If we couldn't know facts we couldn't communicate with a robotic probe 3 planets away from us nor could we make accurate predictions of anything of note.

Also, as an aside, I absolutely despise the post modern linguistic style, which consists of an unending stream of whining complaints wrapped up in dense jargon. Your field has produced NOTHING to improve the human condition

The very idea that there are "key anons" is fucking retarded, that's the whole point of being anonymous is that nobody has any prestige over anyone else.

It's funny that you are talking about the color of the sky since it hasn't always been blue. Blue is an extremely rare color in the nature and thus the sky wasn't seen as blue in for example Greece and Rome - IIRC it was seen as not having a color.

But if you talk about the alt-rights there is perhaps facts. It seems to be for example a fact that Muslims rape about 20 times more than Westerners. The fact has just different consequences for different people. Globalists view such rape rates as OK, as they are according to them caused by poverty and racism instead of pure evil, while nationalists see them as a reason to ban immigration regardless of the reason.

Explains why you've had trouble green texting...
Anyways, >Im trying to figure out how and how much a board like Sup Forums relates to the alt-right
There are alt-right poster on Sup Forums, but there are also commie, libertarians, modern liberals, and people who quite frankly are here to just shitpost.
>or if anyone feels like part of a movement
Some may, others may not. The people in Individual boards, or even generals, will not all share views.
>a hive-mind
Coordination occurs very rarely, and even then it is temporary and fleeting.
>[articles] seem superficial and biased
No shit, because they visit Sup Forums for 30 minutes, think they've learned the culture, customs, and mannerisms of this website, then write their shitty article. Imagine writing an article on the culture of a country, by spending 30 minutes at the airport of the capital... think it will be accurate?

yeah we agreed to use our left hand on the second closest person to the right, thus alt-right. it was magical.

I think that reaction image is pretty appropriate considering how silly you sound

Masters ain't going too well huh

Fact are by nature true, Truth with a capital T. They can under no circumstance be meaningless since it embodies pure logos.

It is the interpretation that can be meaningless since it does not necessarily capture the meaning of the pure logos-Truth.

>extremely rare color in nature

Lol wut? Blueberries, violets, petunias, cobalt, blue herons, parrots, and uh, water... Especially in the Mediterranean

People in power have ALWAYS used common unknown enemies to gain a following and distract their supporters

>US needed the soviets
>hillary needed [RUSSIAN HACKERS]
>liberal media needs the alt-right
>US needs Iran
>Ghostbusters remake needed the alt-right
>2000-2015 mainstream media and fox news needed each other
>hitler needed the jews
>Sup Forums needs the jews, tumblr, reddit, and mainstream media

if u think this board isnt trolling u right now ur a useful idiot. there r no absolutes here except that the OP is a fag

>Oh please, don't feed me that post modernist garbage. Humans can certainly understand facts. As far as we need to. Any animal can because if an individual chronically believes false information it will be killed by the rattlesnake it was convinced was a psychosomatic manifestation of their id.
>How can facts be meaningless. Green is a Photon with an average wavelength of 500nm. I know plants are green because the photovoltaic cell in my spec 20 is set to 520nm and produces a big fucking number if I filter Lake water and grind up the filtered algae, and suspend it in acetone.
>If we couldn't know facts we couldn't communicate with a robotic probe 3 planets away from us nor could we make accurate predictions of anything of note.
>Also, as an aside, I absolutely despise the post modern linguistic style, which consists of an unending stream of whining complaints wrapped up in dense jargon. Your field has produced NOTHING to improve the human condition

I only said facts were meaningless without any frame of reference. This is not jibberish, its not even post-structuralist, its some quite simple conceptions of how human "make meaning". Of course the perception of green is a matter of a material, physical correlation, but this correlation is only perceived as "green" og even "color" as a matter of a certain perceptual and cogntivie perspective.

>Masters on internet culture and politics
KYS

Well for starters, you could get someone like Donald Trump elected. You could be an advertising exec. the list goes on :^)

the fact that you have no imagination to see how this could change everything is why you'll always be a wagecuck

Water reflects the sky, which had no color. And there is blueberries and violets, but it's still a rare color compared to other colors. It's quite revealing that blueberries and violets are named after the color in many languages.

This is your brain on post modernism

> (OP)
>if u think this board isnt trolling u right now ur a useful idiot. there r no absolutes here except that the OP is a fag

I'm the reflexive to the concept of trolling as inherent to the culture of this board, thank you.