CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY AND WEDNESDAY

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. If you feel something is missing, please ask for it to be included while providing a link. As usual, we will be assisting with answering questions.

Today is the Eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time. It is also also time for Lent. Time to prepare and think through how you're going to do it this time.
Here are your daily readings: usccb.org//bible/readings/022617.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Documents of Vatican II
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/index.htm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

CATHOLIC NEWS/ARTICLES
>Bishop Schneider: If a Bishop or Pope Commands Me to Sin, “I Have to Refuse”
onepeterfive.com/bishop-schneider-if-a-bishop-or-pope-commands-me-to-sin-i-have-to-refuse/
>The Benedict Option in Practice: Living the Rural Life is Surprisingly Normal
catholicgentleman.net/2017/02/the-benedict-option-in-practice-living-the-rural-life-is-surprisingly-normal/
>Pope to bless Bethlehem icon at All Saints Anglican Church
news.va/en/news/pope-to-bless-bethlehem-icon-at-all-saints-anglica

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4259164/Pope-quietly-trims-sanctions-sex-abusers-seeking-mercy.html
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8
pastebin.com/9cxmXPCB
chick.com/m/reading/tracts/readtract.asp?stk=0071
youtube.com/watch?v=qk_VwZxN9bA
youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY
pastebin.com/VAL2VYU9
youtu.be/qk_VwZxN9bA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I actually won't be here long at all. I need to sleep soon.
I will get the thread started though.

I will be posting the arts on the side, as per the usual.

How can we impeach the Pope
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4259164/Pope-quietly-trims-sanctions-sex-abusers-seeking-mercy.html

my mom wants me to give up cigarettes for Lent. is smoking sinful?

May God bless and keep all of you. I love our Christian threads.

No, but he can be removed by the magisterium, I believe.

I'll quote it for you:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm

Respect for health

2288 Life and physical health are precious gifts entrusted to us by God. We must take reasonable care of them, taking into account the needs of others and the common good.

Concern for the health of its citizens requires that society help in the attainment of living-conditions that allow them to grow and reach maturity: food and clothing, housing, health care, basic education, employment, and social assistance.

2289 If morality requires respect for the life of the body, it does not make it an absolute value. It rejects a neo-pagan notion that tends to promote the cult of the body, to sacrifice everything for it's sake, to idolize physical perfection and success at sports. By its selective preference of the strong over the weak, such a conception can lead to the perversion of human relationships.

2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others' safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

So I'd say yes, it is, and also your mom's idea seems pretty solid.

How do we stop sedevacantists from being so dang edgy?

why are you proud of this? christ said nothing about adorning his temples in gold plating etc

this is so fucked up , catholics are probably the reason for the rise of evil in the world

lmao theres even a box for "offerings" while you look up at the gold trimmed ceiling

you guys are gonna hate burning for eternity in hell

ayo cracka stop appropriating kang culture, michaelangelo wuz a black man! dam races cracka

Greetings

daily reminder that Catholics pray to angels, dead popes, saints etc

heretics and idol worshipers shall burn in hell, the pope is not an incarnation of gods word on earth no matter how hard you guys LARP on Sundays

Daily reminder that christiany is a jewish religion, true Europeans are pagans.

this

youtube.com/watch?v=5bVEXZ38Vs8

CONVERT HEATHENS

Hmm

Christianity is not Jewish
pastebin.com/9cxmXPCB

I'm very much considering becoming a catholic. Baptized Anglican. Any similarities? I've been reading D-R Bible. How long would it take to become confirmed (assuming I am dedicated to it which I am)? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Really made me think... ABOUT HOW GAY CHRISTIANITY IS! Paganism is the original European religion.

>why are you proud of this? christ said nothing about adorning his temples in gold plating etc

These temples are places of general communion for the whole population and so people wish to fill this house of worship with the beauty of God's creation and so its public art not owned by any single person.

>"offerings"

"Offerings"? They are literally offerings in an offerings box.

>user getting this confused about what is purely semantic

Catholics define prayer by its communication while Protestants define it as worship, innately. You can disagree on the use of the term but the distinction is there and you only make a fool of yourself continuing the insist otherwise.

>10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

>titus 1:10-11

Hmm

>literally says kikery needs to be silenced
>Its made by JEWS maaaaaaan

>These temples are places of general communion for the whole population and so people wish to fill this house of worship with the beauty of God's creation and so its public art not owned by any single person.

That didn't answer his question.

I'd sooner go to a small poor church that was hand made than gaudy golden palaces.

God bless brothers!

HE IS RISEN!

Catechism is available as an android app for free btw

God bless user

Screw off papists

chick.com/m/reading/tracts/readtract.asp?stk=0071

What's /CatholicGeneral/'s view on Creationism?

Proddie buffoonery.

Also I'm not a Catholic.

And reminder to all that Portugal was the only country in Europe that did not burn Templars changing their name to the Order of Christ. The Templars of the New Order no longer had to fight in the Crusades and for that reason they took to the sea in their fight against Islamic and Mediterranean pirates that attacked Portugal’s Atlantic shores.

>dating an qt hindu girl who im starting to fall in love with
>wants her crazy lavish wedding but is also happy with having my ceremony as well
>dont know how to have a catholic wedding without her converting, which she refuses to do
i-i'm at a loss

>Paganism
>a religion
>of Europe

Paganism is literally a myriad of tons of religions regional in Europe. There is ZERO pan-European pagan religion. The only pan-European religion is Christianity.

>That didn't answer his question.

Did I not okay my apologies:

>why are you proud of this?

Because they are places where all people can come together to worship the God of creation while surrounded by the myriad of beauty in the world. Because expressing the complexity and subtly of God's creation in the house of worship of God gives glory to God. It would be vain and selfish if it were owned by any one person but instead it is ran and maintained collectively by the church and expressly "given" to the public.

You need to remember the value of art, mate.

Now I gotta sleep, goodnight everyone

>Proddie buffoonery.
Smart lad

>Also I'm not a Catholic.
Orthodox or baptist?

>I'd sooner go to a small poor church that was hand made than gaudy golden palaces.

Okay, thats fine too. There are options.
This is the chapel I go to.

Goodnight user

Ok guys, serious question time. I've been a Christian all my life but questions like these keep me up at night. Will post them as I remember them

What gave Jesus credibility over muhammud. My stomach will on occasion sink in fear if what if Islam was actually right. These thoughts only hit me at 4 in the morning sure enough

>islam
>right

See video related

youtube.com/watch?v=qk_VwZxN9bA

Foolishness.

I... have honestly never ran into this issue so I'm sorry I can't help you much at all. I might ask though: What keeps her from converting?

Goodnight, user.

Nigga 3 hours??? Is there an abridged version?

bumpodoku

I'm Agnostic simply because I was born in a home full of Atheists, I've had a few girlfriends in the past but the woman I'm with now truly makes me feel like there is a greater power. I've never read into anything religious and I honestly don't know anything, I've done zero research and I've never been to a single church. The girl I'm dating is an Atheist but after being with her for a few months I can't seem to shake the idea that a god exists.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction? Am I just crazy?

>Orthodox or baptist?

Neither. I'm non denominational for now. I'm not sure I want to become part of a church because of the nonsense in them. I see too much corruption and infighting on all sides.

>Because they are places where all people can come together to worship the God of creation while surrounded by the myriad of beauty in the world.

You can do that with a small church by a sea or rural area. That's the myriad of beauty in the world. Not golden laden palaces filled with diamonds and other riches.

What's the scoop on Church Militant? They worth a damn?

Sadly not, just start at 31:52, it goes over the errors and contradictory statements in the Koran

>I've been a Christian all my life but
>My stomach will on occasion sink in fear if what if Islam was actually right.

You were never a Christian.

>Neither. I'm non denominational for now. I'm not sure I want to become part of a church because of the nonsense in them. I see too much corruption and infighting on all sides.

I can understand that, there's a lot of useless sperging going on. Personally my local baptist church is comfy and the pastor is pretty redpilled too.

Anglican here, the pope is cuck, become Orthodox with me.

You just got some good puss, user. Don't forget to occasionally put her in her place... they love that shit.

But your happiness is legit, and it might have made your thought process change... thereby focusing on something greater. Follow that feeling and read the bible here n' there, visist a church perhaps, and see where it gets you.

I've been in my university's RCIA program since February (we meet for an hour each week) and I'm on track to be confirmed at the end if April.

Why didn't anybody like my thread?

Muhammad has the same justification for his teaching being correct historically as Mormons, and its laughably bad:

>Abraham and these other ancient prophets and leaders followed Islamic Law
>everything now it just corruptions of what was originally Islam

There is a grand total of ZERO justification for such a claim being true and so Muslims tend to cling to problems with the existing Christian texts to say that we should doubt them, or ancient texts and books that support parts of Islamic law... despite those same texts also going heavily against Islamic law. Which of course they ignore or say they are also corruptions.

Muhammad is a 6th century trader that got taught by Christian heretics while traveling and began to say shit.

What was it user?

Is it possible though that some of the contradictory things thr Koran says are just misinterpreted? I know the bible says things too that sound contradictory out of context

this one. i got like four responses and it died.

...went to a few Orthodox Churches, went to a few Catholic Churches, now I'm going to give some Baptist Churches a try, as I couldn't help but desire more of a firebrand preacher approach. Based Pastor Anderson certianly inspired me.

I see too few who truly understand what it means to be a Christian. Too many materialists or "weekend Christians".

I'd rather pray by myself and ask God for guidance on delivering His will and what His plan might be.

Peace be with you

The man reading them goes through the context actually, its not like when people take verses from leviticus saying that you can't wear clothes that are made of two parts of cloth, or stuff from Corinthians saying Jesus advocated for child sex slaves

That's just how it is sometimes. I've made a few important threads before that Sup Forumsacks should've maxed and didn't get a single reply.

Not to mention slide/shill threads shitting up the place.

That's correct, user, but you haven't said why we couldn't do the one you don't like with the rarer materials.

I don't think I can properly explain why you suddenly have the feeling - I could only guess - but if you want to look into religious things to get a grasp of what the whole thing is about I could recommend some reading for you. Would you like that? Just general stuff or something more specific, it's up to you.

Just what she was raised with and believes in, and some drama with her older sister marrying out the religion so I guess there's some baggage there.

Thanks for caring fellow Catholic bro.

>Be muslim
>Having a shit day, fighting with partner on the phone
>End up feeling like breaking down
>Only quiet place i see is a church, so why the fuck not, don't want to be seen crying in public
>I take a seat in the church and cry like a little bitch
>Feeling somewhat comforted being in such a place for some odd reason
>youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY Music like this playing in the background because some guy was practicing
>End up looking at the cross and feeling a strange feeling i haven't felt for a long while

So what do i do pol? im confused

I agree, not many people want to actually form their life to the faith, they expect the faith to conform to what they want to do.

Catholic Generals start slow. They just do.
I link the OP to Trump General and Syria General as many common posters come from those places to get awareness and a good kickstart. I'd recommend the same to you.

but why did the early christians do it?

You eat a pork sandwich.

I would be wary to try to pursue something because it sounds engaging rather than if it is truthful. The boldness of Pastor Anderson is a good example of that.

>but you haven't said why we couldn't do the one you don't like with the rarer materials.

Because it's not what Christ would've wanted. You have a warped vision of the Christian faith if that is acceptable to you.

Peace be with you.

Come to the light user

pastebin.com/VAL2VYU9

I've given up on the Catholic Church. The recent changes were just the tip of the iceberg. Turns out that church has a long history of changing shit up to meet with the times.

I still view the Catholics as a legitimate church but Orthodoxy a best. Protestants ain't even Christians.

Go back ask whatever questions you have. Ask if there's private 1 on 1 or small group meeting you can go to.

an early christian destroying Sola Fide

Why do protestant contradict the early Christians?

Nah i don't like pork, it stinks too much
I believe in god and everything, it's just a whole different way of worshiping i guess

>Because it's not what Christ would've wanted. You have a warped vision of the Christian faith if that is acceptable to you.

So... where did you get that God doesn't want specific forms of decor in the house of worship?

How do you justify the pope being a muslim apologist? Serious question.

>Nah i don't like pork, it stinks too much
You're supposed to cook it first.

Thanks for the feedback... a lot of it has to do to me being new to the faith. Therefore I'm more attracted to being engaged and learning than to hear constant singing... which became rather tedious. The Orthodox Churches were beautiful though.

Protestantism is false

As evidenced by hidtory

Deal with it

Who here is doing a proper bread and water fast this wednesday?

How do you justify contradicting the early Christian silly proddie?

Where are you from?

What do you know about Jesus?

Literally what, didn't mention Protestantism once desu

I would watch video related desu

youtu.be/qk_VwZxN9bA

Protestant here, why do Protestants contradict early Christian?

I don't think Christ's message was "build giant palaces laden with gold and diamonds and riches".

You don't seem to have any real understanding of God or Christ. You seem like a materialist.

>REMINDER TO THE CATHOLICS N THIS THREAD:

>THE POPE IS ***INFALLIBLE***

>SO ALL HIS NIGGER LOVING MUSLIM IMPORTING BULLSHIT YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH AND BE ON BOARD WITH

>IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THE POPE YOU ARE A HERETIC AND ALSO CONGRATS ON BECOMING A PROTESTANT!

Honest question...I was raised Lutheran and kicked out of the church when I was 14 because I refused Communion...I said it was symbolic cannibalism to drink the blood and eat the body of Christ. Can someone else explain Communion to me?

Early Christianity was spread by word of mouth to illiterate peasants
They did some stuff wrong.

Just saying

I don't see any early Christian saying sola fide and sola scriptura

Do you?

>tfw Protties are forbidden by law from evangelizing in Russia

Actually, they deny sola fide and sola scriptura

Just ask Irenaeus

“In this order, and by this succession, the ecclesiastical tradition from the apostles, and the preaching of the truth, have come down to us. And this is most abundant proof that there is one and the same vivifying faith, which has been preserved in the Church from the Apostles until now, and handed in truth.”
– Irenaeus, Against Heresies 3, 3, 3 (ca. A.D. 185)

Turns out, he is illiterate because he apparently cannot write

I'm sorry I can't recommend much. I would suggest asking your priest or a confidant you trust in the church body.

I wish you the very best. Good luck, user.

What exactly confuses you?

Hahaha, you should never attend an Eastern Catholic Mass then. They sing everything, its hilarious.

Baptist services are pretty much a lengthy speech based on parts of the gospel and a song and prayer mixed in with it. Orthodox and Catholic services are a bit more diverse:

>contemplating and repenting of sins
>reading of 2-3 different texts
>speech based on texts
>Communion

With song and prayer mixed in as well.

Baptists services sometimes do communion outside of Easter (its not formalized at all) but its not treated with the same respect at all. And I say that without bias. They fundamentally understand communion in a far less serious manner than Catholics and Orthodox.

Either way, good luck at the church.

Country in the middle east, and i know that jesus was a prophet that god sent to the people of the earth and then at the end of his life he said that there was another prophet to come after him
Watching this, thanks for the link

Excess smoking is.

That is because it isn't a symbol. You just contradicted the historical view of the eucharist by denying that it IS the flesh and blood of Christ

>I don't think Christ's message was "build giant palaces laden with gold and diamonds and riches".

No it was not at all, but thats not at all what is going on. These aren't palaces at all.

You must also not forget that God made creation to be good and so we should not reject creation wholesale when seeking Christ. If you do, you will not find Christ at all, but pseudo-Gnosticism.

Nice try jew

why don't you go molest another Russian child instead of shitposting?