WTF is this shit?

WTF is this shit? scsun-news.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/20/senate-bill-passed-allocate-electoral-college-votes-winner-national-popular-vote/98173788/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unconstitutional is what it is.

So NM is throwing away its votes?
>meh, we'll let everyone else decide for us
cucks

This. What a bunch of cucks.

Is there a worse state than new Mexico?

regular mexico?

this
even if passed it won't survive it's first judicial test

Who the fuck cares? Thai state of mine is garbage anyways and accounts for jack fucking shit of the electoral college.

Whites (non Hispanic) make up 40% of this state: this place is third world tier.

Shit wont pass, it needs to go through committee then the house and then the senate with like 2 other committees somewhere in there. Dont worry not even (((New Mexico))) is that cucked

>The National Popular Vote Compact and who would allocate their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote. The compact will go into effect when the states who have signed on to reach 270 electoral votes – the amount of electoral votes needed to elect the president. To date, 10 states and DC have passed legislation needed to enter the compact for a combined total of 165 electoral votes.

So this only goes into effect when enough states have passed similar laws.

>ttp://www.scsun-news.com/story/news/politics/2017/02/20/senate-bill-passed-allocate-electoral-college-votes-winner-national-popular-vote/98173788/
TFW you can't sentence:

>"The compact will go into effect when the states who have signed on to reach 270 electoral votes – the amount of electoral votes needed to elect the president. "

Im ok with this. Hopefully all the other states will do the same

I guess he got the last laugh after all.

>being so butt blasted about the election that you give your representation away to California and New York
>for free

^ctr faggot do not give (You)s

Massachusetts

fukin dems

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Wrong. It is up to the State to decide how their electoral votes get distributed. This was passed by a state senate, not national senate. Educate yourselves on how our democracy works.

It would if it went to the ninth. Those niggas don't give a fuck.

I really want you to be a state congressman and summit a bill proposing that to be your state flag.

Thank you for having some critical reading skills and not being autistic.

Then the republicans should pass a bill that only allows the republicans to win.

How the fuck am I CTR you stupid god damn leaf

New Mexico knows ICE is comming.

It's not that we actually care for the state, it's the fucking legal precedent it can set. Grow a fucking spine and stand up for atleast the rights of your state written into the Constitution you cuck.

No way in hell this survives. Even if it gets passed, it'll be almost immediately repealed on constitutional grounds. It's literally taking away the votes of an entire state.

Underrated. That is exactly what this is, and maybe a couple million spics in Texas as well.

>tfw in 2020, the Democrat wins New Mexico
>Trump gets 265 electoral votes and won the popular vote
>electoral votes from New Mexico go to Trump
>he gets 270 and wins again
>Dems rage because they know they done fucked up
Lel

Basically Superdelegating the presidential election.

Not really

It's just a way of having the popular vote decide the election without needing to pass a constitutional amendment.

This is still something to worry about, it is side stepping the electoral college and slowly making mob rule a possibility.

I love hearing the Albuquerque News. Good times.

Why would any state willingly give up it's potential to swing an election?

Even with all the spics, Texas is most based state

>durrr i'm swedish i can't read

aka CA

This would never be allowed. Having the state follow the national winner makes it entirely irrelevant who the citizens of that state vote for. This may work in states like California or New York where they can actually shift the popular vote, but New Mexico has very little effect due to its low population. This effectively removes representation and therefore violates one of the core values of the US.

>

NM went blue in 2016 anyways so it really doesn't matter, unless the Republican gets the popular vote in 2020 in which case the Democrats in NM will regret this. If Republicans take over the state in the future, they can just change the law back.

Are they really going to try to get rid of the electoral college just because that's how Trump won?

The Constitution grants the States the authority to apportion their electoral votes however they choose.

They are going to regret this in 4 years.

NM goes blue every year, what was more surprising was CO

The republicans need to step their game up in Colorado, it's a still a hotly contested state, it only had a 4% margin between trump and Hillary and we have a fuckton of illegals that probably voted. Also Gary Johnson and McMullen (or whatever the fuck that mormons name was) soaked up 8% of the conservative vote.

holy shit so you want to be ignored even more?

because this is how nobody ever fucking campaigns in your state.

Trump and Bush junior. Realistically the Democrats would have to abolish the electoral college to have a shot at the Presidency, but they can't do it without red states going along, which would never happen.

>what is equal protection under the law

Having the president chosen based on popular vote may actually drive turnout in high-population states that are solidly blue, though. That could mean a stronger red presence in those state governments.

checked

It's a blue state anyway. So basically:

Neutral scenario: A dem won the popular vote but NM being the blue state elected him anyway.

Good case scenario: A Republican won the popular vote NM voted for a Democrat. They are forced to allocate their electorates to the Republican.

THE BEST case scenario: Republican won the popular vote, but NM voted blue and the Democrat technically won the Electoral College, but thanks to NM's stupid law, the Electors go Red and GOP clutched the victory that way.
I am telling you, this WILL bite them in the ass one day.

Worst case scenario: There is no worst case scenario. There isn't even a bad scenario. NM is a blue state. I repeat. THERE ARE NO BAD SCENARIOS.
We should actually thank New Mexico for making it easier for us.

One would hope a deportation program will fix CO.

>giving what little say you have in national elections away to other states
>for free
won't survive the first legal challenge anyway

>counting votes outside your state to determine whether the votes people made in your state will be counted
Yeah, that will pass judicial muster

Meanwhile there was a 1% margin in Minnesota.

It's fucking Denver and their sanctuary city shit, its mayor is a leftist dog. I've seen coke and meth destroy this state, and good people I used to know. I hope Trump sends the feds in. If you just got the illegals out alone it could have helped swing this election Red.

Boulder and Denver need to be purged to, fucking califaggots.

YES! You drumpfkins are now finished!

Only rural idiots voted for Drumpf, everyone knows that.

REPEAT AFTER ME: MADAME PRESIDENT!

who cares? fuck you.

Unfortunately, Sup Forumsacks tend to be mentally retarded and don't understand how anything works in America

>red states must vote to give up their electoral power in order to have that electoral power removed from them
I keep explaining this part to lunatic progressives and how you can't get there from here.

kek, this.
This literally can only backfire.

If this was about NM only I guess you can find a logic in it. NM doesn't have many votes(5) but you can see something like dems 60% and reps 40% happening, then 3:2 split in electors is pretty fair and it would end gerrymandering on state level.

Yep, I got family up there. Glad to see it's getting more red, even with the influx of somalis in Minneapolis

In a high population state maybe, but not one like New Mexico. This is purely designed to transfer power from a solidly red state to the larger blue states

should be funny when elections roll around and nm goes red as fuck

What the fuck is this National Popular Vote Compact bullshit
liberals trying to circumvent the constitution?
If this gains any more traction it should be made illegal. States shouldn't be deciding their electoral college votes based on what went on in other states, that's contrary to the founding principals of the country.

not even nuclear fire could fix that hipster infested pothead shithole

And that's only because of McMuffin or however that Mormon fuck is called

I get the sentiment, but they'd be better served by instead awarding their votes proportionally to how THEIR citizens voted.

Thing is the republicans only won the popular vote once in the last seven presidential elections so they think the electoral system with it disproportionally favoring low-population red states is their only hope for ever winning in the future.

It'll change sooner or later. It's easy to appeal to people's basic sense of fairness when you tell them a vote in state A is worth more than a vote in state B.

New mexico isn't solidly red. It went blue 4 of the last 5 elections and only went red in the one by 0.8%.

Dem party clings on Clinton is a good sign that they will keep losing it.
In the end, if all Blue states decide to go with the popular vote, there are just 12 states where the Democrats have full control of the state legislatures.
And they all went blue. So Trump and any GOP candidate after him basically need to hold the states he won and that's it.

And yet the change was never considered until the state went red

Constitution says states can decide however they want. It's why some states don't give all of its electoral votes to whoever won the majority of the state's popular vote.

It only went red in 2004, the last 3 elections were solidly blue. Hillary beat Trump 48% to 40%.

that is what it says, but do you really think this should be allowed?

Nigger, the state decides how to distribute its electoral college votes: that is literally written into the Constitution.

This state is shit and it is making a shit decision.

Go back to r/thedonald and be a MUH CIVIC NATIONALIST LOOK ITS A NIGGER BITCH WITH A MAGA HAT ON SEE WERE NOT RACIST fagot over there.

>Trump wins next elections popular vote
>all these blue states suddenly flip red
>Hillary basically gets no electoral college votes

can see it happening desu.

did they change t b h to desu?

desu
desu

no way I typed that

Why not? I'm sick of this red state/blue state shit that's balkanizing the country. The president should represent everyone, not just the states that elected them.

>the President should respresent everybody so lets let two states decide the election
marvellous idea

I'm going to laugh my ass off when Trump wins the popular vote in 2020 and New Mexico has to give all it's votes to him even though it would otherwise go blue.

It would actually have a passing chance because there are a few buffalo nigger tribes here who use the swastika in their native designs, most predominantly the Navajos.

The faggoted White people here would only have to be convinced that "they are taking back the symbol" as a sign of MUH SOLIDARITY with the tee-pee folks.

>democracy
what is a representative federal republic

kys

Your best case scenario is exactly why this law will be thrown out. It creates a situation where New Mexico's votes are irrelevant but the state law decides the national EC winner. That sort of nonsense will never hold up.

If republicans had an incentive to campaign in large blue states they could get enough votes to win a national majority and drive up red turnout in those states in the process so they can maybe start taking back power at the local level.

Trump himself said this, remember? If the popular vote mattered he would have campaigned in california and new york and still would have won.

Califonia

california, tho id love if they did this shig

It'll only go into effect if enough states join the compact to make up a majority of the electoral vote.

The GOP controls most state governments

>If the popular vote mattered he would have campaigned in california and new york and still would have won.
This would make politicians even more ridiculously disconnected from ordinary people than they already are.

>be dem
>lose EC vote
>change rules
>lose anyway

There are ordinary people in calirfornia and new york. Lots of them, in fact. But their votes are locked away by the electoral system.

So no one would ever vote in NM? Why vote at all when your vote LITERALLY doesnt matter

You do realize NM is the tenth?

And if they tried passing bills that said "Only republicans are allowed to win ever" they'd be laughed out of the courts.

OK we will just enforce voter ID laws and increase the penalty's for immigrants that vote illegally.

Why would that not be allowed but giving it to the popular vote winner be ok?

To the retards saying it's unconstitutional, it's not. NM is just joining onto this voting pact, which doesn't take effect until states with a total of 270 EC join.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

just dems shooting themselves in the foot desu senpai

it isn't. technically, states don't even need to hold an election to appoint electors, they just need actually appoint them. the general public voting is really just a courtesy.

>2: Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

the operative words there being "shall appoint" and "as the legislature may direct"