Common Core

What in the actual fuck is this bullshit. I took a look at the homework my daughter had today and I come to see this crap. I am beyond livid as to why this is somehow a more efficient or easier way to solve a simple math problem. Hopefully Trump can abolish Common Core ASAP. This is what the American child is being taught and people wonder why we've been lagging behind on test scores compared to other countries. America needs education reform now.

Pic related daughter's homework

A block and tackle system has 6 pulleys in each of two blocks (12 pulleys total). If a downward effort of 260 N is required to raise a load of 300 kg, calculate the efficiency of the system.

It's literally the same as the standard multiplication technique, the sum is just put in a different order. Fucking retard.

>not using a calculator

Nigger...

Common Core is fine once you understand.

For example, once you realize 02 = x because we're getting rid of letters in Algebra, it all works out.

Yes because giving a calculator to a 4th grader is a good idea and will definitely develop her brain to solve problems by herself. Fuck off

>A standard cremation oven uses about 30kg of coal to consume one corpse over a period of about 8 hours. How much coal would need to be delivered in each monthly shipment to supply the four incinerators at Auschwitz, which burned about one million Jews?

Calculators often get the answer wrong you retard.

>What in the actual fuck is this bullshit.
They are trying to teach niggers and dumb kids to shortcut simple math like the smartest kid in class does on his own.
I teach my kid the tricks if he can understand it, but I don't try to teach tricks to his retarded cousin.
I never took a course outside of STEM and freshman reqs and I understand this. Did Obama think he could into interdimensional backgammon?

Trick question. The nazis burned jews to cremate other jews. This method negated the need for coal, and also allowed for more cremations in a shorter amount of time.

Why would you be getting rid of the letters?

Twelve Jews need to be burned to come out in zero.

Correct?

Not if you use parentheses in the right spots.

This actually triggers me

i no rite. i just tried to add 5 + 4 and it said 9. every knows 5 + 4 = 54

Not using the X vega method used during the Worlds Times Table Championship.

This way is much more complicated for bigger numbers. Try this method for 5 digit numbers.

Is there any actual logic behind this or just let's change order of operations because reasons.

Reasons which totally don't want involve the textbook industry wanting more shekels.

>Forgetting that at the temperatures and drafts of the cremation ovens, coal stops being necessary to sustain combustion, lots of carbon on the human body
wew lad
>We don't want all kids to learn proper math or proper english
land of the burgers, home of the sheep, everyone

wtf why not just do 23x79. how the fuck do you get 1400

But did they have giant kilns to dehydrate the fuel jews so they would burn?

>t. brainlet

20 / 5 (2 * 2) is really ambiguous. Allow me to explain.

Many people would do something like this
>20 / 5 (2 * 2)
>20 / 5 (4)
>20 / 20
>1

The problem is, if you follow your order of operations LITERALLY, you get
>20 / 5 (2 * 2)
>20 / 5 (4)
>4(4)
>16

It's an annoying thing that can come up if you just blindly type expressions into a calculator without adding a bunch of parenthesis. Both are correct, it just depends on what you really mean by that divide sign.

Math is barely about logic, but memorizing equations (is that what they call them in english?) and replace the variables, then solve

Like is really fucking hard to just calculate, but if you were a good goy and memorized all 5000 solution for every situation, you can do it in ten seconds

The meaning of basic school """education""" is to stuff up an keeping busy the brain of children with stupid bullshit in the most important phase brain development, where the basics for character, social skills and red pills are build up.

The Jew needs weak characters for the slavery, that's why.

1400=20*70
210=3*70
180=20*9
27=3*9

Same thing as you're probably used to doing. except you had the sum in two lines I bet

>t. never taken a maths course after calculus

You could define either explicitly with one set of parenthesis.

>(20/5)(2*2) = 1
>20/(5(2*2)) = 16

You basically do the problem backwards
I understand how to solve this retard, I just don't think that this is the appropriate standard that should be set in a 4th grade classroom. Common Core would perhaps work better in an environment with students who have poor math skills.

Some faggot who gets paid ridiculous amounts of money deduced through extensive, costly research that common core was easier for niggers, spics and idiots. And in the Age of Inclusion, making anyone feel left out is unacceptable.

>Common Core would perhaps work better in an environment with students who have poor math skills.

It caters to nogs at the expense of human children; what's new?

because so many people in the world including children take mathematics courses that succeed calculus, right?

They are NOT both correct. you and the other burgers who can't into math are fucking retarded.

>fastest method bestest method

How about you ask their teacher to explain why it makes sense to teach it as such and go from there?

I also bet none you are teachers.

but it didn't ask for 20x70. just a bunch of unnecessary steps

>You basically do the problem backwards

absolutely autistic

I mean. Isnt that just 9.8*300/260*100%

>just put in a different order.
Why?
What was wrong with the old way?
If it aint broke dont fix it

That's fucking retarded, who the fuck came up with that?

That seems way more difficult especially if you are multiplying varying decimal places.

What's wrong with it?
Do you solve two digit multiplication without splitting it into parts?

20*(.2)*(2*2)
gives you 16

x34
36(0)
+ 48

You do it backwards when compared to the traditional way of solving it jackass

>Sup Forums still unironically hates common core
>literally can't provide one real reason why it sucks

Except that the second one is unambiguously correct and the fact that "many people" are too retarded to realize that doesn't mean that they are right.

common core is a brainwashing technique that makes children think differently.

>The problem is, if you follow your order of operations LITERALLY

Like there's any other way to follow it.

MY SISTER HAD SOMETHING WHERE YOU CUT IT IN PIECES AND IT WAS WRONG. THEY SAID IF U CUT A THING 3 TIMES, YOU HAVE 3 PARTS

that's garbage, we can't be teaching children this. WHERE IS THE RIGOR

Make sure they can't do calculus when they get older.
Math and science is transphobic anyways, or homophonic. I'm sure it's some type of phobic.

IF THEY MEAN PARTS AS IN OPERATIONS, THEY YES THEY ARE RIGHT.

how is that not autistic?

They want to break it down so the slower kids can understand why the algorithm works rather than just make them memorize the algorithm. If I was teaching, I would start like this and then skip to teaching the speed math algorithms. If anyone isn't familiar with it, look up Trachtenburg Multiplication. Super cool stuff about how to multiply giant numbers together without needing to write anything down

And why is this new way better?

why is the old way better?

Why is it worse?

Numbers aren't even real.

A lot of teachers think it's garbage. Only the masochists working inner city ghetto high schools think this is good.

You aren't wrong.

Its breaking the problem down to its fundamental steps so the dumb kids can figure it out easier. And the smart kids will eventually do what smart kids always do and use the most efficient/fast method.

There are a lot of examples of how shitty common core is but what is wrong with that one? That is how they have been teaching multiplication forever, isn't it?

>Both answers are correct

>Hey user can you tell me what the fuck is up with the numbers on the latest job we're working on? Everything is wrong.
Oh don't worry dude, my numbers are equally correct.

Because now whites are just as dumb as nogs

>down so the slower kids can understand
This is the problem with education
We need to slow everything down so now college is basicly just high school

No?....

That's pretty much exactly how I'd calculate it in my head. 23 * 79 = (20 + 3) * (80 - 1) = 1600 + 240 -20 -3 = 1817

>Changing the entire system of mathematics just because kids can't figure out parentheses.
This is why niggers and spics shouldn't be here.

>tfw too in touch with my spirit to learn math

tell me, do you beleive that math is more about memorization instead of logic?
ARITHMETIC definitely is, but math really isn't, at it's core.

>brainlets only memorized algorithms for doing math
>triggered when you sightly change some procedure

Its the fucking same Common Core is fine, american education is shti anyway.

It doesn't matter it works
What is the reason for switching?
making it harder for parents to help their kids is a good way to eliminate white privilege

>Sweden

Lol this shit.

Unless it is written 20 / (5 ( 2 * 2)), there is no way it would be equal to 1.

Except number two is factually incorrect. * comes before /.

How long has common core been in place and why are there burgers actually defending it with their flawed math skills here?

Except the 2nd way is NOT following the correct order of operations you fucking retard

Mechanical advantage = (Wout)/(Win)

(3000 N)/(260 N) = 11.54

No distances were given, so efficiency cannot be calculated.

truth is, there's two elements to math common core. one is okayish, the other is bad.

the okayish thing is where they try to teach all the kids the mental tricks that the smart kids come up with on their own. that sounds like a good idea, but it's not, because if you're not wise enough to discover something for yourself you're not wise enough to use it properly. it'll stunt the kids growth. the hard way is the best, first way.

the bad thing is where they try to teach kids intentionally half-assed estimation measures that people will use in the real world where it doesn't matter, but if a person is decent at estimating, for example, how many pallets they need to get for a product run of 45,000 units, if each pallet takes 12 layers of 15 boxes each, then, say, 150ish boxes per pallet, i should order roughly 3,000 pallets, plus 250. this is what a manager might do if it's like, they come on trucks all the time anyways and it's not like they won't get used eventually.

but there are times when you have to be precise, such as when ordering how many springs you need for those 45,000 products. and teaching someone it's ok to be imprecise before they've learned to be precise is foolish.

the general attitude they take is designed to make it so that people who have no skill in teaching can teach kids who have no interest in learning and still get decent test results, even if they wind up having to take high school math again in college. it's a constant lowering of standards to meet arbitrary goals that pretend to be able to judge the actual quality of learning kids are receiving. (as if quality learning is the goal at all).

of course i'm for complete defunding of public education.

Writting a comma after number of thousands is literally the most stupid thing westerners invented to do with maths.

Incorrect.

>Why are schools teaching kids how to think about solving problems rather than making them memorize algorithms that a computer can perform unimaginably more efficiently?!?!?!! REEEEEEEE

This is literally just another episode of "society is changing in a way I'm unfamiliar with so it's BAD!"

t. a mathematician

>>
I thought you were arguing against me
Go back and read my first post, its not
No, its not
>Chile

Except that get deductions if they mark the paper with the faster method.

>Pic related my homework
Ftfy
Common core is largely semantics

They are not the same. If teachers can't do order of operations then the next generation is doomed.

20/5 = 4
2*2 = 4
4(4) = 16

Maybe we should implant chips to do math.

PEMDAS is not the true order of operations. It's just a mnemonic to help you learn.

Multiplication and division have the same priority as each other.
Addition and subtraction have the same priority as each other.

That pic is laughable though. Neither answer is correct. The correct answer is that you need to hang the writer for not including more parenthesis.

Schools districts and teachers are the people responsible for choosing what problems and textbooks are used to fulfill the common core standards, there is no set of official "common core" problems. If you understand math and how to teach it then all the things common core wants kids to know come easily. The problem is that people that become teachers and work I'm education mostly don't understand math themselves

It's the exact same method you fucking idiot. It's just in reverse order, it literally isn't any more complicated you stupid nigger

>calculatos wrong
no, its a machine
you entered the equation wrong

Learn2 multiply you idiot!

Shit. Wish we learned like this. Makes perfect fucking sense and avoids the two steps where the mistakes happen

This is stupid because it's poorly written
Compare
(/ 20 (* 5 (* 2 2)))
to
(* 20/5 (* 2 2))
Both are valid equations, but the thing is that the syntax leads to confusion
In my opinion we should use prefix notation to avoid all this shit

Crematoriums require 1,000° temperatures to actually keep combustion going. That's not possible using just the fat of the body. I'm not sure what your point about carbon is. Carbon is the waste, the ash.

Even modern crematoriums require 10-12 gallons of petrol and 6 hours per body. What kind of magic were the Nazis using?

Also, why? Why wouldn't they just put a bullet in their heads instead of wasting expensive, precious fuel in the middle of a resource-scarce war? Why bother wasting resources to transport them, clothe them, and warehouse them if the aim was simple extermination?

Type it into google, exactly as it is written

heh, learn field theory, and then get back to me, Sup Forums

Multiplication and division have the same precedence

What is different? If you multiply numbers with 2 or more digits then you always do it in parts like that, multiplying the ones places, tens places, ect.

No you retard.

You read 20 / 5 (2 * 2) as (20) * (1/5) * ( 2 * 2 )

There is nothing ambiguous.

Try doing that by 9 digits x9 digits, cross method is much faster

Don't give a shit. Never been good at math. Failed high school because I failed math. That shit looks like random numbers that mean nothing at all.

This is retarded, the problem is just mere notation,, if its such a big deal then just write it

20*(5^-1)*(2*2) or 20*(5(2*2)^-1 and fuck it