Musk sending people to the moon again!

Musk sending people to the moon again!

futurism.com/breaking-elon-musk-and-spacex-are-sending-humans-to-the-moon/

>SpaceX has been approached to fly two private citizens on a trip around the moon late next year. They have already paid a significant deposit to do a moon mission….We expect to conduct health and fitness tests, as well as begin initial training later this year. Other flight teams have also expressed strong interest and we expect more to follow. Additional information will be released about the flight teams, contingent upon their approval and confirmation of the health and fitness test results.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_saturation
spacenews.com/spacexs-reusable-falcon-9-what-are-the-real-cost-savings-for-customers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

please send zuckerberg and soros and not enough air

I want to be an astronaut but im scared of heights

Pay him, and you will go

i got about tree fiddy

any good scuba diver can reach spaceX moon.

I'd be more scared of blowing up or running out of oxygen

It'll be the Bogdanoffs, I guarantee it.

that based nip again

>trip around the moon
So just do a sick loop around and crash back into the ocean?
Let's hope they fuck up and we get first people shot off into deep space.

Ahahahahhahaa

HAAHAHAHHAAAAAA AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

BASED NIP

soros is too old, but it would be quite interesting is zuckerberg had an unfortunate accident

I can't stop laughing irl holy Fuck

>implying the archons will let anyone on the moon

Fpbp okay I'll stop reply now my God that's gold

>NASA pays Roscosmos to fly astronauts to the ISS

IVANED

didn't NASA say earlier this week they were considering manning thier first SLS crew launch or something like that?

And now Musk announces a manned flyby of the moon.

Why the sudden rush to get our people back in space all of the sudden? What did they find?

i hope it's mark zuckerberg and peter thiel and they get annoyed and kill each other

god bless ya nippon

What if trump is one of them

SPACE REICH CONFIRMED

It's physically impossible. Trump is outsourcing the disclosure.

Testing your technology on millionaires is good, politicians would be better.

its just Trump making space great again

They'll be televised as Jupiter sucks the capsule in and crushes it under the intense pressure.

Must see TV

it's just trump! trump is gonna do great things again, like fund this and probably be the guy going to the moon. gonna make the moon great again!

Job security :^)

>we get first people shot off into deep space.

Yawn, just pandering to raise the stock prices, unless they are going to the moon to mine helium 3, there is no point, people have already been.

>a fucking leaf

day of the rake when?

>space tourists
>fly ***around*** the moon
>don't even land
How is this supposed to help anyone do anything? There's no science being done. No advancement. Just a waste of enormous amounts of resources for a couple 1%ers to live their neil armstrong fantasy.

This user gets it. There is an impenetrable

D O M E
O
M
E

It will advance the space tourism industry.

That fag Bezos and Richard Branson and other will be jelly of the 70 millions of the mission, and will prep to serve that market as well.

It is a good thing!

How do you figure? How do you know it's not just going to deplete the space tourism industry? Like, the only 12 people rich enough to do it who actually want to will go, spend all their money, and be like "welp, that's off the bucket list then." And then there won't be anyone left to go again.

Reminds me of the time Musk blew up Zuckerburg's Satellite on the launchpad.

Because in theory, those flights will get cheaper with time, and they plan to access a broader market beyond the 1% on the future.

Richard Branson talked about space hotels like the ISS, or some shit.

It is like the Rift and Vive. People pay a lot now so in the future I don't have to. Basically it will be open first to billionaires, then millionaires, etc.

This is space tourism. Spacex (a private company) is being paid to do this, just like a normal launch. Why would they turn down a paying customer with a reasonable request?

Also, the moon has more resources than Helium 3 and is a strategic stepping stone for space exploration. Using natively-sourced materials to build space vehicles on the moon would allow us to launch from an airless surface with a sixth of Earth's gravity. Everything built on the moon is something we don't have to lift through the atmosphere and out of Earth's gravity well.

You are, pretty definitively, a fucking idiot.

its about funding the development of manned spacefaring technology, you fat brainlet

>You are, pretty definitively, a fucking idiot.
you could know that from looking at his flag

What theory is that, exactly? Moon travel is expensive in main part because it requires so damn much fuel to do it. That fuel is not going to become less expensive by becoming more scarce through use.

Meanwhile, it's literally 1960s technology. It's mature. There need be no further innovation.

There's nowhere to expect the cost to decrease.

Spacex is being paid, which means money going into production and R&D, which means more rockets and better rockets.

How is it like your toys at all? At all?

lol

You mean the technology we spent half our national wealth developing sixty years ago? That technology?

The rockets already exist. They're already good. We don't need new ones.

>pandering to raise the stock prices
SpaceX is privately held, Leaf. No stock price.

>no science being done.
So what?
> No advancement.
Falcon Heavy sending two people on a circumlunar trip is absolutely advancement. It's advancement in the exact direction we need, that is private individuals and companies paying other companies to fly in space. This is exaclty what we need.

>It is a good thing!
Brazil gets it.

>just going to deplete the space tourism industry?
That's not how markets work.

My dick is diamonds. Good job, Musk.

Less than 30 years ago, only the elites owned cell phones.

Your kids are going to fly to the Moon, anons.

I think the plan was: Flights will get cheaper with time, due to reusable rockets. If they can get the price of kg per flight transport down, they can send more people to make space tourism, and it will also help to push tech development to mine resources.

Advancement in rocket design, fuel and others is required tho.

The point is making money and exploring the market, obviously.

Musk is an idealist. I don't believe that Bezos and Branson are moved by the will to advance the human race tho. They just want shekels.

What the fuck...

They want to make the rockets reusable. Actually NASA was using Ruskie commie rockets to make their missions. Also, they projected that if they could reuse rockets, the spendings overal, would fall 100x.

Literally, their words:

> “A fully reusable vehicle has never been done before. That really is the fundamental breakthrough needed to revolutionize access to space. If one can figure out how to effectively reuse rockets just like airplanes, the cost of access to space will be reduced by as much as a factor of a hundred.”

>So what?
So it is pointless and wasteful.
>It's advancement in the exact direction we need
It is regression to where we were in 1972. All the reasons we stopped doing moon flights then still apply now.
>That's not how markets work.
Yes it is.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_saturation

>Moon travel is expensive in main part because it requires so damn much fuel to do it.

The fuel cost for a Saturn V launch is less than one percent of the launch cost.

>That fuel is not going to become less expensive by becoming more scarce through use.

Newer-generation rockets will use methalox engines, and we can make an effectively unlimited supply of the methane and liquid oxygen required to run them.

>Meanwhile, it's literally 1960s technology. It's mature. There need be no further innovation.

Again, methalox engines. Reusable boosters. Reusable ships (that aren't the fucking Shuttle).

Wow, you were wrong on literally every assertion you made. Bravo.

plz send those fuckers through the van allen belts and scorch their brains.

Yeah, that's a great plan. That was the same plan for the Space Shuttle, actually. Guess what happened? The costs did not decrease, and the reused rockets started blowing up killing people.

The market is full of starry eyed dreamers who believe in impossible things. Which is fine, they can piss away their money all they want. Just don't tell me it's rain.

No, I mean the reusable rocket that lands itself

nigger

>Moon travel is expensive in main part because it requires so damn much fuel to do it. That fuel is not going to become less expensive by becoming more scarce through use.
This is the weirdest belief about spaceflight. Fuel is cheap. Liquid oxygen is something like 65 cents per gallon and liquid kerosene is probably $1/gallon in rocket quantities.

What's expensive about space is throwing away rocket stages, labor at every level and operations. And bandwidth. Holy shit, bits are expensive.

>Meanwhile, it's literally 1960s technology. It's mature. There need be no further innovation.

That's so not true. There is so much innovation happening right now and more in the future.

>the technology we spent half our national wealth developing sixty years ago? That technology?

The Apollo program topped out at around 4% of US GDP, in 1966 IIRC. Space has always had a much lower cost than perceived.

Holy shit! They almost got to where NASA was 48 years ago!

The free market is truly amazing guys.

Hey, what could go wrong? Let's reinvent this incredibly dangerous and already designed wheel.

BUT we need to forget every lesson we learned from the Space Shuttle. Because it's icky and doesn't suit our preconceived fantasies.

FPBP

Oh right, that one. That wastes its most efficient flight phase for a gimmick that doesn't even really work all that well, and isn't necessary anyway.

>SpaceX has promoted reusability as a major cost-saver for the private spaceflight industry. Right now, rockets are treated as trash once they've taken off, so companies must spend millions of dollars on manufacturing brand new rockets for every single flight. It costs $60 million to make the Falcon 9, and $200,000 to fuel it, according to SpaceX CEO Elon Musk. Reusing rockets could substantially lower these costs, he says; theoretically, a rocket would only need to be refueled to launch multiple times again.

He IS pushing for reusability. I would say thats very promising.

spacenews.com/spacexs-reusable-falcon-9-what-are-the-real-cost-savings-for-customers/

the space shuttle was a Quasimodo project that was originally intended for a different use.
they should have scrapped it and made multiple specialized vehicles
instead they made a "jack of all trades" that sucked at everything

>So it is pointless and wasteful.
You are going to stop private individuals from paying a private company for a service? Communist scum.

>It is regression to where we were in 1972. All the reasons we stopped doing moon flights then still apply now.
Apollo wasn't reusable and the US government lost that capability at the time. The reasons to stop Apollo and now do something similar with SpaceX are very different. One was national pride and arms development by other means, the other is private enterprise doing it's thing.

>Yes it is.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_saturation

Assuming SpaceX only flies a dozen billionaires, the billion dollars earned from the circumlunar trips is more than enough to drive the development of a fuel depot and lander, and opening the market up to mere millionaires. They won't hit market saturation with this.

Musk promises to pick up the tab, but at the moment he just has to run to the restroom, but go ahead and order one more round because he will surely be right back.

>and isn't necessary anyway.

>landing isnt necessary for a reusable rocket

do you have cholesterol inside your brain?

Take into account what they want to use to do so. Using funds of private company - which 48 years ago was unthinkable when it came to building spacecrafts.

Additionally, they'll likely use rockets they drummed their popularity on - ones that can be reused. That also was something impossible 48 years ago.

Yeah, it's slow, it's baby steps, but things improve.

You're not listening to me. That was literally the point of the Space Shuttle.

But it never worked. So why?

Because after the Challenger disaster in 1986, NASA decided in order to be safe it had to painstakingly inspect every minute part of everything reused in the program. Anything that seemed questionable to the highly trained and experienced engineers was replaced for safety. This wound up being nearly as expensive as just building new ones.

In the end it didn't even wind up with saving the crew of the Columbia, did it?

So, user, you can promise cost savings that will never materialize. You can even sacrifice safety for cost. But in a real world you utopia is impossible.

Shuttle was originally meant to be part of a large and versatile space infrastructure (autonomous chemical and nuclear space tugs, moon landers and space stations) but it all got cucked by budget cuts
They were originally supposed to make two dozen shuttles with one flying every week

>BUT we need to forget every lesson we learned from the Space Shuttle. Because it's icky and doesn't suit our preconceived fantasies.
The lessons learned from Shuttle are exactly why Musk went with a single-stack rocket. It's like you live in Bizarro World.

SpaceX will eventually become a space tourism company and ditch cars and transport all together

>i know, I read the story

>two wealthy and mysterious customers
>probably have a background in space science
>may be interested in bankrolling Elon Musk's first settlements of Mars
The real question is, what's their endgame, Sup Forums?

Fine, do pointless and wasteful things if you like. But don't sit there and pretend you are ushering in a new time for humanity. It's just not so. You're opening up another way for the megarich to play, and not getting anything out of it.

And when it doesn't pan out, you can curse the injustice of the world, but the rest of us will just look at Elong Musk as another batshit Howard Hughes. Worse, actually, because he opposed Trump.

So you really don't know what you're talking about.

Go google search Space Shuttle SRB recovery.

>Technological progress is bullshit, let's all just die on this rock

Since you're done making arguments with any sort of logical backing, so am I.

Go dig a hole, lie in it, and let rain drown you, so that the rest of us can make better use of the resources you consume.

>a trip around the moon
>around
fucking waste of time

go to MARS

M A R S
A
R
S

Sucking each other off when there's no gravity, obviously.

GET IN HERE, GIGA KIKE SCAM GOING ON

>if I can't make an argument, it means you're wrong.
>if you disagree with me you should die.
Keep thinking you're smarter than generations of the nations most brilliant engineers, though! God, you argue like a liberal.

Such a testament to how far western countries have fallen that some random guy can send men to the moon but not the fucking US government

IDK, spacex rockets have a tendency to blow up,like, a lot. Who's wanting the trip, Wiley Coyote?

>I know, I'll equate boosters that use solid fuel and hard-land in salt water to ones that use liquid fuel and land upright, that'll convince everyone that I have a good point!

the fuel is the cheap bit

those are solid fuel boosters, pretty much just a can full of boom, they can withstand parachute landing

a liquid fuel rocket is a different thing, the thrusters would break down if it used just parachutes

Honestly Elon Musk should work his meme brain into making a space elevator. Here are the pros for a space elevator :

>Literally greatest project ever made by mankind if built
>Easily one of the top 3 tourist spots on the planet
>Can pretty much revitalize or create an economy for the area it gets built in instantly
>Makes sending all kinds of shit into space comparatively extremely cheap
>Generates a fuckton of revenue to whoever owns it
>Is extremely fucking cool

We should deport niggers to the moon

I want them to blast the moon men song from rick and morty the whole way there and back so when the people arrive on earth they'll be mentally unstable muttering about moon men and make those ancient alien fags chimp out

Savage Japan with the best post first

to the dark side so we can't see them when we look at it, too

>can full of boom

two billionaires who volunteer to die in a misguided, untested spacecraft around the moon next year? Looks fucking great for their heirs

the space shuttle was a design with no purpose. you had a vehicle and nowhere to go.

announce a national imperative to reach Mars within 10 years and you'll have a heavy lifter and spacecraft suitable for landing both on Mars and the Moon pretty quick

Can i get a Rundown on those gents.

>the rest of us will just look at Elong Musk as another batshit Howard Hughes. Worse, actually, because he opposed Trump.

We'd still be flying biplanes without Howard Fucking Hughes. Musk is on Trump's technology council. Were you dropped as a baby?

>The Model T's already exist. They're already good. We don't need new ones.

user...