Why do people instinctively dismiss the modern idea of a flat earth as a troll or a joke...

Why do people instinctively dismiss the modern idea of a flat earth as a troll or a joke, and fervently defend the oblate spheroid theory which they've never actually personally observed?

I mean, literally 99.99999%+ of people on earth will never actually personally observe or witness any proof what so ever of an oblate spheroid earth, since you supposedly would have to be hundreds of thousands of feet in the air to be able to observe the theoretical curvature of the earth.

The total number of people alive today who are claimed to have been in "space," high enough to observe the supposed curvature of the earth, is far less than 500. Making the idea that the shape of the earth might be something different far less improbable than a lot of other coverups people believe involving much more people and organizations.

On there other hand there is a ton of actual evidence you can personally observe that points towards a flat / disk domed earth, or at least disproves the idea of an oblate spheroid earth. For example, gyroscopes in aircraft, flight patterns of government / commercial aircraft, astrophysics contradictions and coverups, exposed NASA photoshops / fakes (I'm not just talking about fake moon landings here, but the fact that NASA openly admits to having never taken a picture of the earth since the 70s).

Way to many examples for this post alone. S why is there so much resistance to this theory but other much more far fetched theories are believed on here?

Other urls found in this thread:

epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/
youtube.com/watch?v=tvhFbvY_99o
youtube.com/watch?v=mUxmCXSmtVo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because you are a retarded

not an argument

Spherical coordinates only work if the planet was a sphere, how do you account for that? Do the GPS satellites just send fake data?

Because you get get a telescope, look at neighbouring planets, observe that they themselves and are spherical, and apply the observation to our own rock.

fpbp

Take this shit to /x/, OP

Because I've personally observed retrograde planetary motion, and not a single one of you can explain it using your model.

Because it's somewhat impractical to argue against photographic evidence

Because a flying flat rock in space doesn't make sense.

Its just turtles all the way down, man.

does it really matter to you if it would be flat except for the fact that you could scream you were right all along?

How can you prove those dots in the sky are really rocks tens of thousands of miles in diameter, and that the ground you are standing on is in fact another gigantic rock in space? Unless you were told in school and already believed like everyone else you knew does, you would never arrive at that conclusion independently.

NASA earth shots are admittedly photoshoped. Unless you're talking about pictures of the coast line, its an optical illusion that its curved. The theoretical curvature is far to large to observe unless your hundreds of thousands of ft in the air.

It doesn't have to be in space.

what would it take to convince you the earth isnt flat?

Flat earthers never answer this:
How come I see polaris on the northern hemisphere but not on the south?

Now how do you explain gravity then? Or the earth just fly up 9.8 m/s then? You dumbfuck

I really enjoyed how you just passed over retrograde planetary motion.

>Why do people instinctively dismiss the modern idea of a flat earth as a troll or a joke, and fervently defend the oblate spheroid theory which they've never actually personally observed?
People don't like being taken out of the cave

That's why Trump is the President of USA, your country is full stuffed of idiots like you.

> in space
a yes, "space", a great volume of... nothing. ok

On a flat earth, elevation would not allow you to watch a sunset twice.

Honestly I'm not convinced myself either way. I think its interesting though so many people will fervently defend their idea that the earth is an oblate spheroid despite never having personally witnessed any evidence what so ever. They are just conditioned from childhood to believe in the concept of the earth as just another rock in space among trillions of other rocks.

That is only an issue if you are assuming planets really do exist as rocks or balls of gas 10,000 miles+ in circumference orbiting in a perfectly circulation motion.

Because I've studied fluid dynamics, specifically in meteorology and there is no explaination for the earth's weather that isn't a rough sphere. Hurricanes would form completely retardedly (with eyes parallel to the ground somehow) on a flat disk.

That is only an issue if you are assuming planets really do exist as rocks or balls of gas 10,000 miles+ in circumference orbiting in a perfectly circulation motion.

You are aware that telescopes exist, right? You are also aware that regardless of whether they are rock or gas, or anything else. They are still out there, and still have retrograde motion without explanation from you as to how such a thing is possible.

>NASA earth shots are admittedly photoshoped
The ones from EPIC on the DSCOVR sat aren't stictches at all, they show whole images of one side of the earth. The only processing is the camera taking 3 shots in each primary colour and combining them.
epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/
They take a few photos a day as this satellite is designed to monitor climate trends.

>which they've never actually personally observed?
Anyone who has been on the open ocean or on an airplane has personally observed the curvature of the earth.
Add to the fact that global conspiracy to hide the fact that the earth is flat is quite a ridiculous proposal.
>forwhatpurpose.jpeg

>perfectly circulation motion.
Planets orbit in ellipses, which aren't perfect, long term their orbits are perturbed by other planets, their perihelions precess and so on. It's why simulations of the solar system struggle to go beyond a few hundred million years, the system long term becomes mathematically chaotic and impossible to predict.

>despite never having personally witnessed any evidence
Direct observation is not the only evidence, there are indirect observations allowed in science. Similar to how you can mathematically prove something exists without explicitly constructing it.

Exactly. You can say this about all constellations. If the Earth was flat then they shouldn't change position when you travel on the N/S axis. Same thing for the sun. As you get closer to the poles the sun is closer to the horizon.

>honestly I'm not convinced myself either way
I'm glad you self-diagnosed your autism user

Kepler's law
Simple math using the parallax
Spectroscopy

All things every single one of us can do if you're not a complete retard

Gravity forms objects into a circular shape. You ever see droplets of water in one of the space station videos? What shape were those? SPHERES

CHECKMATE

How is this Sup Forums related? Go back to x

>direct observation is required
>durr what is inference?

please suck on a barrel.

spotted the retard

Also I don't think people are dismissing it "instinctively", most people scoff because flat earthers make retarded points like
>gravity is just the disk accelerating
or
>the sun and moon are above the disk but sometimes they're not both visible somehow
>the sub is 3000km above the disk that's 6000km across
But somehow the sun can be seen at below a roughly 30 degree angle, which is impossible due to middle school level trigonometry.

All their points come from an 11 years old's misunderstanding of physics and maths and so they're usually not even worth arguing with.

And that's before we get into the
>muh millions of pilots are all on it
nonsense

Fuck off. Exactly what was wrong with what I said?

Technology progresses. Low earth orbit flights will cost around 100-200k which will lead to thousands actually seeing the earth being round with their own eyes.

Nothing

that is an optical illusion. even if the earth is a sphere, 24k mi in circumference, you would not be able to observe a curvature on the horizon unless you were 100k+ ft in the air. (planes fly ~30k ft)

Those are inaccuracy if you misunderstand the distance you are from the objects you are referencing.

educational indoctrination

Pilots just follow their instruments.

Then maybe I'll believe it when I actually see it for myself.

>Anyone who has been on the open ocean or on an airplane has personally observed the curvature of the earth.
You can't see the curvature from such low altitudes. what you're seeing is an optical illusion. for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=tvhFbvY_99o
this is at 120k feet

There are, however, other methods to detect curvature

this
im a recently seperated E7 in the USN and i served as quartermaster on a big nuclear powered boat and i dealt with navigational charts ,maps, satellite imagery and related equipment every day. the planet earth is a sphere i know this because i assisted in its circumnavigation

Or ask why it's rotating in the night sky but always visible
or ask where seasons come from
or ask how it can be day on the entirety of antarctica for a half year (same with the arctic. And why it's night for the other half of the year)
Or ask why it's warm at the equator and cold at the poles.
Or where different climates come from in general
Or how you explain the Coreolis effect.
Or why days are shorter in the north than in the south. And why days are shorter in winter than in summer.
Or why shadows are longer in the north than in the south

>Pilots just follow their instruments.
Then how come flights from Australia to South Africa when they happen take 11 hours. On a flat earth map that distance is much larger than say London to India, which is a similar length flight in the real world and a similar distance by great circle path.
Do they gas everyone on the plane and then the reptilians teleport it or something?

>Those are inaccuracy if you misunderstand the distance you are from the objects you are referencing.

What is this even supposed to mean

They claim GPS is fake and everything is done by radio beacons.
Even though you can get GPS reception just about anywhere. I guess radio antennae boats cover the oceans?

>mfw I accidentally fell off of the edge of earth

Thank god Nasa has that space Tractor

fpbp

>hen how come flights from Australia to South Africa when they happen take 11 hours
less traffic

I'm saying when they measure an object's parallax angle to calculate the distance it is from the earth, they are assuming the earth is a 24k mi "sphere" rotating at 1040mph.

And then they "prove" the earth is a 24k mi "sphere" rotating at 1040mph by showing the parallax angle of objects in space with the assumption that they are the previously measured distance from the earth.

Its circular logic.

Makes no sense, there's no such thing as air congestion in terms of slowing flights down except near major airports where planes sometimes have to circle for a landing slot.
That doesn't explain what should be a 20+ hour flight on a flat earth taking 11 in reality, planes don't magically go supersonic due to less other planes being near them.

Why do rush hour flights from Dublin to Heathrow take 5 hours when night flights only take 40 mins?

nice

i just laugh at them. a friend of mine thinks the earth is flat and that im part of some conspiracy and im helping to conceal the truth from the masses for some nefarious reason. i love him like a brother but he's an idiot. if the earth is flat then the moon is made of cheese

You can't deny this, OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=mUxmCXSmtVo

You can just watch the sun rise or set. If the Earth were flat that wouldn't happen. Also, the distances on a plane only check out with a globe. No flat earth model can account for it.

No one uses parallelax measurements to know the earth is round, it's used for distancing nearby stars accurately.

I also love people claiming the rotation is fast because they don't understand angular speeds. The earth, if shrunk down to the size of a 1m sphere would only be a few mm smaller around the poles than the equator and still rotate once a day. It's an incredibly slow rotation in angular terms.