Germany's foreign minister calls 2% NATO target completely unrealistic

On a visit to Estonia on March 1, Sigmar Gabriel said that, while Germany accepts it must increase its defense spending from today's 1.2 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), 2 percent is too much.

"Germany needs to do more, no question about it," he said, but it is "completely unrealistic to raise expectations in Germany or among our partners that we will add 30 billion euros to our defense spending over the next eight years."

Germany has set a more modest goal of increasing spending by 2 billion euros, to 37 billion euros, with the goal of reaching 39.2 billion euros by 2020.

rferl.org/a/german-minister-gabriel-calls-trump-demand-on-nato-spending-completely-unrealistic/28342460.html

"We also have to consider whether Europe wants a Germany that invests 60 billion euros a year in the German Army... This would be military supremacy in Europe, and I think our neighbors would not like to see that."

But he noted that NATO's target of each country spending at least 2 percent of GDP on defense is not legally binding on members, who pledged in 2014 to "aim to move towards the 2 percent guideline within a decade."

I would fight on the front lines to eliminate the German leadership.

US-UK-RU alliance vs Germany and their cronies, round 3

We would have to spend additional billions of euros just to catch up with all these years where the budget was under 2% of the GDP.

But I think the first things they should do is learn how to spend money wisely, before pumping in more and more.

then maybe germany should help us pay the 2% other countries aren't paying

>RU alliance
kys literal enemy of the west

What the fuck kind of attitude is that. "Oh, we don't want a good military, because we're Germany, and our neighbors are such cucked faggots that the mere presence of an ally with weapons is enough to make our pussies tighten".

>consider whether Europe wants a Germany that invests 60 billion euros a year in the German Army... This would be military supremacy in Europe, and I think our neighbors would not like to see that."

He's literally fucking crippling his country's own defense because it might hurt other European nation's fucking feelings? Muh fourth reich, if we actually follow the fucking NATO guidelines?

The point of a military is to be able to defend yourself from your neighbors, not make them sleep soundly at night because you're not too strong.

BUT WE STILL GOT PLENTY OF MONEY FOR NIGGERS!!!!

2% is too much. Better keep mooching off of the Americans

Das rite. We better spend the money on refugees.

none of those 4 can afford a war

BUT, it's perfectly fine to pay up to 20% of gdp for the EU army :)

>hahaha 2%
>silly USA
>how is that possible when we spend 99% on rapefugees and prosecuting right-wing terrorism

>We have enough money to take in billions of economic migrants.

>We don't have enough money to defend the country.

But open borders is

GermCucks everyone

shoving a bayonette in your ass costs nothing

Time to moderate our commitment

It's just a dumb excuse to try and get out of spending money and having responsibility.
No one in their right mind would have a problem with Germany having a army capable of fulfilling NATO responsibilities.

Interesting. I thought the 2% spending figure was a treaty requirement, not a guideline. Still, a hair splitting arguement based on legalisms isn't going to persuade an American audience.

The reality here is that Trump is mostly just looking for a pretext to pull out of NATO. If the Germans want to give us one, that would be great.

This

The only way to change this is to call them out directly and put them in the world spotlight

Get the people on your side then you can dump them like the trash they are

You'd leave an organisation because one member is being a dick? Why not remove the member instead? Let them pay for their own defense.

>This would be military supremacy in Europe, and I think our neighbors would not like to see that
wtf i love germs now!

Russia could one day be part of the West. Worth trying.

The US should match only the lowest contribution percentage
If say a country only gives 1% this year, then next year the US should give 1%

Get that shit in writing

Why do niggers always eat food while shopping?

Nobody hands anything to NATO, dude. NATO is just a coordination organization.

The % is for a country's own military spending. If the US only used 1% for its military then millions of US jobs would be lost.

>Why do niggers always eat food while shopping?
It's free. At least that is what they believe.

>this is unrealistic
>accepting the entirety of the earth's refugees isn't

>a Mexican-Paki-Central Asian alliance
Really jogged the nog

That money should be going to niggers and mudslimes instead.

>The US should match only the lowest contribution percentage
>If say a country only gives 1% this year, then next year the US should give 1%

NATO is basically "friends of US policy", don't you know that?

NATO is your own brainchild to have a permanent foothold in Europe against the Soviets. Now it's so old and dusty you think you've discovered some kind of relic that belongs to someone else, and that other people should take care of it.

Same thing with the UN honestly, but that was not just the US, but all the allied nations (formerly league of nations). Now the west thinks the UN is stupid and purposeless. We fucking created it. Nobody else could be responsible.

>USA forces EU to pay more in defense spending

>Russia steps up pressure in the east

>EU forced to cut their welfare state

>Riots by refugees and liberals alike

>Forced to spend more on defense spending to prevent anarchy

Goodnight EU

>4d Chess

>EU army is created
>just the same as Nato but without Turkey and Londonistan
>Europeans are no longer forced to die for Israel

>We can spend billions of dollars importing in Muslims who rape our women and kill our people
>We can't live up to the military expectations of our allies even though we constantly SHRIEK about the ebil Russians about to invade Europe if the Amerikaaners aren't there to protect us

The ETERNAL FUCKING GERMAN just can't pick a side can he.

Yeah you'll still be dying for the IMF but at least it's not Israel.

desu its only logical to reassess the 2% of GDP demand. The Soviet union was (comparably) stronger back then and GDP has increased a lot since then. 1% of GDP would probably be more then enough for NATO to be strong enough to discourage any Russian attacks.

But as long as its set at 2% they should STFU and pay up.

Germans have hundreds of billions to resettle refugees and pay for them and their future generations, but not enough for a halfway decent army. top kek

(I hate you so much)

You've been trying since the fall of the USSR.
Do note if you keep laying with dogs you'll wake up with fleas someday.

I'm ok with this

Nowadays I don't think anyone fears the Germans.

You're delusional. They don't want to be part of the west, they see themselves as a seperate civilization.

>We are not trying to conquer you!Seriously!Take a look at our mililitary spendings!

that jew nose..

>spend all their money on social programs and taking care of refugees
>doesn't want to spend on defense for NATO

Cool how about we contribute only 1% of our GDP to NATO and the UN? It's time to pull out of the UN and cut our contributions to NATO.

>Germany's foreign minister calls 2% NATO target completely unrealistic

Then it is unrealistic for them to be in NATO.
Pay your dues or get kicked out.

>Europeans are no longer forced to die for Israel
>When the EU is ran by a bunch of European hating kikes and commies

ya ok, keep telling yourself lies

to be fair, he probably talks about the country borders inside the EU that will remain open and not our external border

If the USA will never sacrifice one soldier for the Baltic statelets, how many would Germany sacrifice?