A Question For Our Protestant Brothers

While the books of the New Testament were written in the first century, they were never collated into a single authoritative Book until the fourth century, during the Councils of Carthage. Before then, there were not only the books of the New Testament, but a combination of writings from many others, both of which are considered to be orthodox (St. Cyril of Alexandria, Shepherd of Hermas, etc.), and faulty (Gospel according to Peter, Gospel according to Thomas). These were all being circulated around in the first few centuries of our faith.

And in the fourth century, it was the Catholic bishops, and the Catholic priests, who convened together into a number of councils where they debated, dialogued, and put their book choices up for a vote. Some books that had opposition, like James and Revelation, were voted in. Some books that were thought to be slam-dunk acceptances, like the writings of St. Ignatius of Antioch, were not.

Let’s state, for the sake of argument, that these people were very much in error when they adhered to Catholic doctrine.

That said, if these men were so wrong and corrupt in their doctrine as to what they believed about God, then why are we taking it on their authority as to what books constitute the New Testament? If they are wrong when it comes to church hierachy, belief about Mary, sacramental confession, and the Eucharist, then what makes their decisions as to what books make the New Testament authoritative?

god isn't real dweeb

who did create the universe?

your country isn't real la

Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty the one who always was, who is, and who is still to come.

Ill pray for you brother, He calls all of us but few will come. Repent and call to Christ. Open your eyes

why does the universe have to be created by a sentient being? isn't it more logical to say that we simply don't know than to say that the god of the bible is real, a book that has been proven wrong over and over again, and that jesus christ is literally god and a few magic latin words by a lace wearing nonce turn a cracker into his flesh, and that by entertaining thoughts about a beautiful woman you will burn in hell for all eternity? that's ridiculous and none of it is proven.

coming from ukraine 2.0: germanic boogaloo LOL

He calls all of us? What about people who have never heard? The Catholic church did teach that they all go to hell, now they admit they were wrong and say you just have to follow your conscience. So how could they be right before but wrong now if they are guided by the holy ghost?

> what makes their decisions as to what books make the New Testament authoritative?

1000 years of Ecumenical Councils, where the penalty for being wrong against intersectional consensus was often ex-communication, excile or death.

Hi Sup Forums, how do I christian?
I follow christian morality and find the religion quite beautiful but I have never experienced anything I would call a spiritual experience before.

>I follow christian morality

you don't masturbate, you turn the other cheek, and you give money to the poor, right?

user the existence of God is a logical necessity

>The cause of the universe must (at least causally prior to the universe’s existence) transcend space and time and therefore
cannot be physical or material. But there are only two kinds of things that could fall under such a description: either an abstract object (like a number) or else a mind (a soul, a self ). But abstract objects don’t stand in causal relations. This is part of what it means to be abstract. The number 7, for example, doesn’t cause
anything. So if the universe has an explanation of its existence, that explanation must be a transcendent, unembodied Mind which created the universe—which is what most people have traditionally meant by the word “God.” Since the universe exists, it follows that God exists.

pretty much yip

go to Mass and ask God for guidance

> How to into Christianity
Obviously, the first step is reading The Book.

What version you read is highly contentious. Personally, I find most translations are shit.

Protestantism is good entry-level, just don't fall into the penticostal Heresy-hole (Evangelicals, I am looking at you)

For Protestant Bibles: King James is corrupt as hell, but reads like poetry. NIV is trash. ESV is literal, which is nice.

For Catholics, and you are not able to roll pure-Vulgate or read Koine Greek, Douay-Rheims is almost perfect. I read the Chandler, because it seems to eliminate most corruption.

If you have never read the bible, start with the New Testament first, then read the Old Testament afterwards, so you can identify Jewish poison and gain an understanding why they killed him, after already having an understanding of what lead to him being killed.

Order is not important as long as you start with Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) then move to John. After that you can start messing with Acts and Letters and Psalms comfortably.

Personally, I recomend starting with Mark because it's easy to read. Then Matthew which is more in depth, then Luke which fills in the gaps.

John is a masterpiece, but it is so high-level, a lot will seem abstract without reading the first 3.

For Old Testament, it's pretty much creation to Moses. Once you get into Numbers or Judges, it's all proto-Kike shit until Kings which is full-Kike. Issiah and Daniel are important thiugh, because they are the ones' who made the prophecies.

Thanks user.

memetantism is shit desu

catholicism is true christianity

>we simply don't know

We know God created world by logos

>a book that has been proven wrong over and over

okey so book is wrong now what ?

Faith is not based on something written in book/books

>protestants do this but we know that, they are heretics

I agree.

Catholics use the same arguments that Protestants use to explain away Vatican II and all the other changes they have made to the faith.

>Well the Church is like a tree. It was planted as a seed in the 1st century and now it sprouted and has grown

If you're arguing for Orthodoxy, don't fall back on Roman Catholicism. It has changed a lot as well.

Hell even the "Orthodox" church has underwent changes as well, just look up "Old Believers".

>God is a logical necessity
No.
>cannot be physical or material
So not real?

so your mind is also not real?

God is omnipotent and had preserved His Word throughout the ages, and in English that's the KJV Bible.

The stories are literally true, and the characters are real.

>If they are wrong when it comes to church hierachy, belief about Mary, sacramental confession, and the Eucharist, then what makes their decisions as to what books make the New Testament authoritative?

As things become corrupted by man it is the fundamentalist that keeps the faith. As the traditions of men crept into the church it was inevitable that a reformation would be necessary.

>Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Stay sharp, and pray for discernment. The Holy Ghost is just as important as the Word.

The fact that it was the Roman Catholic Church that decided which books were canon is one of my biggest issues with Catholicism. Many of the apocryphal writings confirm what is written in the Bible. You should really check out the book of Enoch.

oh christ in his sweet golden throne above please can Sup Forums put together a book of writings.

I have read all these discussions Sup Forums has had. Incredible shit here you shits. I have reformed my life, I have started reading KJV and I'm loving these threads.

You fellas know your shit, put together a KEK version, a Sup Forums version.

what's about that Enoch guy?