Do you think America is spending too much on defence?

Do you think America is spending too much on defence?

I think you guys could cut $100-200bn, plus another $100bn from other departments, and have a fuckton of money to invest in infrastructure (this is sorely needed RIGHT now), education, health care, and still have a fuckton of money to reduce the deficit, while still having a larger budget than several of the next highest military spenders. You could close down some bases and fortify your border with the military and surveillance drones (protip: there are solar-powered surveillance drones now that stay in the air for weeks or even months) instead of a meme wall.

I'm looking for serious replies. Obama's military budget was literally only 3% lower than Trump's.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WuGtYNnlYS8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Pay your fair share first you fucking leaf

Our defense budget is for the entirety of the West.

Social programs should be slashed before thinking about dismantling our military sphere of influence.

>expecting serious replies on a Cambodian MAGA-hat factory workers Facebook group

Can I write a cheque to the US DoD?

>Our defense budget is for the entirety of the West.
Then where were you when Ukraine was invaded?

>Social programs should be slashed before thinking about dismantling our military sphere of influence.
I disagree, but fair enough. However, reducing a $600bn military budget by $100bn or even $200bn will still keep you far, far, ahead of any other country.

They are spending barely anything on defense
They spend all on offense

>Then where were you when Ukraine was invaded?

He said the west you retard. Not backwater asian shitholes.

Now compare our 19% non-discretionary defense spending with our 60% non-discretionary welfare spending.

I kindly asked for serious replies.

>most powerful country on the planet
>has the top defence spending

No shit, faggot. It's necessary.

>Chang trying to make the US spend less in military so that chinks can catch up

If the Yanks want to pay to defend the West then who are we to stop them?

We only have so many markets available to us because of our military. It'd cost more in the long run if we made extensive cuts. Should cut the entitlements which make up several times more of the budget.

Again, I asked for serious replies.

America's budget would still equal the combined budgets of China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, the UK, and India combined with a $100bn cut. A $200bn cut would still dwarf China's, and be roughly equal to that of Saudi Arabia, China, and Russia combined.

Are you a woman? Because you apparently don't understand how defending a country works.

The US spends this much a UK or fucking leaf don't have to. We're sacrificing ourselves for the benefit of the western world.

Geopolitical engagements, research spending, oil interests which need to be secured, Pax Americana needed to be maintained to keep the current global economic and financial order intact, etc. The US pretty much needs a disproportionately massive military and interventions to remove even the possibility of combined threats working against it, it's not really any different than any other superpower in history, it's just that the cost and complexity of technology has risen exponentially in the last 160 years or so so the costs of it all reflect that.

You think it's too much because you spend so little, getting your defense from the US vis-a-vis NATO.

How old are you? Your ability to extremely oversimplify such a complex issue is mind boggling. Only people under the age of 21 are this stupid.
>ignoring the reasons why American defence costs more
>won't go into detail on what should be cut and why, just states, "Cut $200bn"
>doesn't understand the complexity of the American military and the vast amounts of resources required to maintain it and such
>not understanding that investing in military technology is also investments into important future public technologies
>disregarding a million other things I don't have time to write because I have better things to do than argue with liberal Torontonians.

>implying ukraine wasn't a jewish plot

I asked for serious replies. Tell me, how would a $100bn cut to the defense spending make America that much more vulnerable?

>ignoring the reasons why American defence costs more
>doesn't understand the complexity of the American military and the vast amounts of resources required to maintain it and such
>not understanding that investing in military technology is also investments into important future public technologies
>disregarding a million other things I don't have time to write because I have better things to do than argue with liberal Torontonians.

I understand all of these things. I'm asking is it really worth it, and if a $100bn would actually severely undermine American security. Nobody here is addressing this.

>and if a $100bn

*$100bn cut

Other countries dont have a enviourmental super volcano which could destroy the entire country with one bomb.

Yeah I forgot about how the military was working to stop that fucking volcano of all things.
Also there are other supervolcanoes throughout the world you know.

They need to pay more because Americans are so soft and bad at fighting.

For the 2016 budget, Americans spent $138.6bn just to support American soldiers. They spent another $244.4bn on "operation and maintenance". Research and buying weapons/equipment only account for $69bn and $118bn, respectively. Then there are a few billion extra for construction, housing, etc.

Americans spent an average of over $100bn per year since 2001 just on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. And that's just for fighting. It doesn't account the other associated costs (such as health, social, and economic costs for veterans).

They spend ~$100bn a year to maintain bases around the world.

Are you suggesting that a total cut of $100bn would severely undermine American power projection or security? The Mexican border is a far greater security priority than keeping bases in Germany.

says the leaf
youtube.com/watch?v=WuGtYNnlYS8

Hey, I never said Canadians aren't soft, but we have you guys to look after our national interest while getting all the flac.

>Do you think America is spending too much on defence?

Actually yes. When you have so much military lying around you want to put it to use.

The counterargument is Russia and the world not sleeping. If Russia is also a warmonger you need to have one up over them to stop them from world domination. And yeah, Russia is pretty warmongery. Syria is a proxy war

kek

I don't think you can comprehend all the we do. The problem is fraud, waste, and abuse, not spending too much in general.

Nah, you're a cuck, your defense budget goes to
Israel
Big weapon corps
And welfare queens cannon fodder who like to feel important because they spent 3 months abroad waving a gun

invading it lol

top kek

expecting serious replies on a Cambodian MAGA-hat factory workers Facebook group

And who else is gonna keep Germany from being steam rolled by Russia? Themselves? They'd rather spend their money on rapefugees than defense. The US is the global hegemon still, so our military must be large enough to overwhelm any potential adversaries that seek to overthrow the current global system, including most of the rest of the world all at once. Not to mention that we singlehandedly defend pretty much all of Europe and the Americas at once.

SA spends more than Russia and the UK? lmao. what a joke

>Implying the EU/Soros wasn't responsible for Ukraine