So brits not only need TV licenses but also electric meter checkers

Brit friend told me that once a year or so someone is sent around to your home to "inspect the electric meter inside your home for any tampering"

Please tell me this isn't true britbongs.

Other urls found in this thread:

mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1159953-to-refuse-to-allow-my-meter-to-be-read
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It is true,but the meter is outside the house.

This isn't true. Nowadays the energy supplier will only send someone to your home to read the meter if you miss several months of meter readings.
Sending an employee to every home once a year would be vastly more expensive than any profits lost through 'tampering'. They only do this in cases where there is already evidence of tampering.

Omg dude please elaborate, I seriously thought my friend was joking but now I'm genuinely curious

you get some (often foreign) guy wandering round with a hand held device,he opens the meter cupboard looks at the dials then goes away.
that's all I know.

Jesus christ....can't you refuse him entry in your home? Doesn't have special Auth?

Why is there a triangle

mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1159953-to-refuse-to-allow-my-meter-to-be-read

This tells you a lot.

Essentially there are two ways you can pay for electricity in the UK, one is by monthly charge where they'll ask you to periodically submit meter readings for calibration purposes and occasionally check that the meter is working correctly since obviously meter readings relate to price. The second way is to pay as you go with these prepaid cards, though this is normally only done by really poor people. Since that method involves putting a magstripe card into a reader in your meter to credit your account they come along periodically to check the reader hasn't been tampered with to give you infinite credit or whatever.

In both cases the box is on the outside of your property and int he first case they only come out if you don't submit the readings yourself.

As an Australian, people check the meter once a year to get a reading on it to see how much power you've used, and thus how much money your electricity supplier should be paid in order to not shut off your power.

This is probably the same thing.

Alright I know OP is trolling but now Im curious, how do US electric companies check on their customers usage? Is it just straight flat fees regardless of ammount of power used?

So you can just give yourself infinite electricity for free in the glorious US of A and no one would check?

are you fucking stupid? seriously? or do you just not pay for electricity in america?

of all the things you pick its the fucking meter

britain is an authoritarian shithole and yet you pick a completely retarded thing to get upset about

get upset about the fact that GCHQ is even more invasive than the NSA

Yup, it's true. The meter is outside your house and so every now and again a guy comes round, opens it, and makes sure it's not been tampered with.

I don't see how it's a problem, tbph.

I'v never had an electric meter inspector come round and 5 years ago use to have TV license guy knock at door but I explained I don't have A TV and hasn't visited since, although I live in south my friend in Liverpool has had some issues with TV license people

Why are the "assholes" black?

Nope we pay for what we use...difference being is that we don't get guys coming around to do checks unless somethings faulty or they are shutting of supply

You can do that here too, not everyone has a meter.

We can have free pay as you go meters installed. That's part of it. We also have health and safety to stop retards burning down their own and neighbors house. So they check for retards shoving wires in to bypass mains fuses.

Wouldn't expect an American to understand this. Murricans are so retarded that they build hoses with wood. They can't even understand basic parables in stories passed down from elders.

How do they know what you've used?

We have meter readers here too, sweetie. You'd know that if you owned a house or payed bills. Better get your sweet angel of a mother to microwave you up another batch of tendies while you play the new Zelda game!

Sorry bro, wouldn't expect a brit to understand pic related.

Are you fucking retarded? Plenty of homes in American still have those fucking meters, and they do check them to make sure they aren't fucked with and maintain them routinely.