Is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand redpilled? I have heard she is based, but I have heard the opposite too

Is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand redpilled? I have heard she is based, but I have heard the opposite too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jguJM3TIehI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Read it. It has a narrative. It isn't Hobbes so it isn't a fucking slog to get through.

I agree with her metaphysics and epistemology but not with ethics. Book was pretty chill desu.

I like a lot of the themes but I don't like the way she writes. Also rabid fans of her work are convinced that she is a philosopher. Kinda like Molymeme.

Reddit needs to lurk moar.

>Ayn Rand

I thought it was a great book. It's fucking long, but the writing is good and the plot engaging.

Whether you agree with the philosophy or not, it's a great story with inspiring heroes and truly detestable villains and it's guaranteed to give you something to think about.

Though I will say she does have good points that apply today with certain people who will tell other people of what to do or they're a bad person. This could be applied to many aspects to ideological views.

This is not my favorite right-wing book, though, it does at least have a narrative making it easier to read than Hegel or other difficult philosophical readings.

>guaranteed to give you something to think about
oh boy...

Yes. Ayn Rand is the ultimate redpill.

Social Darwinism at its finest.

She got right that you don't have any sort of moral obligation to help others, and shouldn't be forced to. And that often trying to force people to help others just makes things worse for everyone.

She got wrong that, after a certain point, giving to charity and helping others becomes a sensible thing to do. No matter how rich you are you live on this planet with other people, if the planet is cleaner and helathier and the other people are not on the brink of starvation or poverty, that will literally translate over to you having a better quality of life because it makes the air you breathe cleaner and reduces your likelihood of getting killed for meat/money.

>metaphysics and epistemology
Can you sum these up for me? I haven't read her.

It's a great redpill for leftists. Objectivism and hardcore capitalism Ayn Rand promoted are shit though.

It's a good book. Only people that hate it are parasitic commies that can't handle the idea of selfishness as a virtue.

Best critique of Ayn Rand ever. Good job.

This. Most critique of Rand's work is just hysterical ravings from lefties. It rarely gets more sophisticated than mere shitposting.

This. The concept "help only those who can help themselves" is overall wrong. Most people don't have the means to help themselves, but would live productive and value-creating lives if helped. Then again, it doesn't mean that we should consistently give fish to those who are not even trying to learn how to fish themselves.

this thread will get infested with ancaps that think their jewish ideology can be compatible with fascism

Just wait and see

Reality is separate from our own existence and objective knowledge exists.

She's not a great philosopher at all. Read Nietzsche's "Genealogy of Morals" and Spinoza's "Ethics" instead.

It's a reference to the minarchist vs anarcho-capitalist schism and why it exists.

Rand wrote the book as the flipside offering to communism, but ended up making as completely unachievable system as communism proposed.

The only way objectivism works is if the captains of industry are all moral supermen. In reality, we've seen over and over that business leaders want more money, more power, and would sell their own mother's souls for a nickel. Her system simply cannot work with humans.

The book itself is.. the writing style is mediocre at best and its self-indulgent length could've easily been paired back several hundred pages with no impact. I read it now and then because I enjoy talking philosophy and economics, and don't like bashing on the book without having the ammo to do so, but its enjoyable enough when read as an alt-universe scifi story.

People characterize it as a book about economics, but it's not. It's a book, first and foremost, about how one can lead a nondegenerate life.

People who rely on the state to take care of them, people who are incapable of independent thinkings and look to others for answers, etc.

The economics is just a side effect of her cry that people need to be self-sufficient, need to have respect for themselves.

Will appear jerks who only read the bible and other junk telling you that it is a Jewish shit.
It's one of the biggest redpill out there.

Trust me, everyone should try to read The Fountainhead.

youtube.com/watch?v=jguJM3TIehI

>Trust me, everyone should try to read The Fountainhead.
This. The Fountainhead is much better that Atlas Shrugged.

I see everyone saying that Atlas is better, I do not understand. I think maybe they think it's less heavy.

I thought Atlas was one of the most meandering things I've ever read. I genuinely liked every aspect of Fountainhead more.

fountainhead is just a easier read, and a better narrative if you dont like long dragging parts.
read fountainhead then atlas shrugged if you liked it.
I would even go as far as to say read we the living before anything else; its a good intorduction to her views

Ayn Rand was just another stereotypical greedy Jew who created a selfishness cult.

Her entire philosophy and literature is pure trash.

>t. cuck

Ayn Rand is the worst thing that ever came from Russia

Interesting, I read both and had no problem. But everyone I know says that Atlas is better and is a more enjoyable read.

I knew you'd show up, the worst Aussie user I've ever seen, shitposter behind shitposter. Bible shit, divide and conquer right.

i see russia will never let go of communism

Not him, but, roughly:

>The basic truth on which any system must be built is: there is something. All statements of truth depend on this or else they are nonsense.
>If the first basic truth is that there is, this must mean that this something's existence is independent of consciousness, of ANY consciousness. Thus atheism.
>If there is something, then it follows that this something is SOME thing, i.e., that it has an identity.
>If it has identity, then it acts in a definite way that is compatible with this identity, thus the law of causality.

>We acquire knowledge by means of a combination of reason and our senses. The senses provide the data, reason integrates it into concepts.

>The basic unit of knowledge is the concept
>Concepts are abstractions we form from existentes through a process of measurement-omission
>That is, we look at things, see that they have things that are QUALITATIVELY the same and, omitting whatever QUANTITATIVE aspects, we condense those similar aspects into a concept.
>For example, a child looks at two sticks of different sizes. By abstracting away the fact that the sticks have different sizes, it can form the concept of “stick” by focusing on the common traits such as width, slim-ness etc.
>This also solves the problem of universals because “stick-ness” is revealed to be not an arbitrary classification nor a supernatural substance, but a relationship between the mind of the observer and actually existing properties in all sticks that exist, have existed or will ever exist.

This is all very rough, and I really recommend Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology for a better picture of it. It is actually an enjoyable read, as Rand is very straightforward doesn’t waste much time on bullshit as other philosophers do. The most recent editions also have Peikoff’s essay on the analytic synthetic dichotomy, which is very good as well.

This

Americans are such cucks they need to read a self-help book on being selfish.

Lmfaoooooo the ayn rand preschool

>dagny has premarital sex with multiple men
>not degenerate

Go read Marx, since you are a leftist.

Underestimated thread.

They prefer to see black shirtless than taking a redpills... Sup Forums it's crap these days.

A leftist? who me? XD

it's a romance novel for autistic women