What's your opinion on grid?

What's your opinion on grid?
Is it degenerate or redpilled?

What's that?

look at barcelona

lol

Boring but has very good redundancy. Doesn't work great in hilly areas.

>this is what's at the center

Pure grid looks nice but is very bad for traffic. using grid as a base to make most of your space but putting in more optimal roads to avoid gridlock and just ridiculous amoutns of junctions is great

La Plata actually looks pretty decent
Lots of white people in there too

Mexisim city

classic city layout
- can only handle small amount of traffic.
- horrible traffic jams.

grid layout:
- can handle much more traffic.
- people use their cars more often.
- horrible traffic jams.

and that's why every city needs NS

I asked "are leggings degenerate?" And my thread gets deleted

>hey guys is having power degenerate?

Get fucked OP

Transportation and traffic engineering student here. Grid is considered antiquated design here, remnants of it can be found in any Finnish city which are now considered problematic and difficult to bring to modern standards. Of course it should be noted that for the most of Finland, space is not much of an issue and therefore grid's space efficiency isn't such a big deal. The biggest issues found with grid planning are regarding the safety. In the 60's and early 70's we still didn't have speed limits on highways, no requirements for safety belts, and traffic safety was poor. City grids and their roads were built for maximum throughput only, being long, straight, and wide. Once traffic safety became a concern in infrastructure and city planning and industries moved away from cities, grid plan-era roads and junctions were found dangerous. For pedestrians they were risky to cross because of the long crossing distance, especially for elderly. The wide and straight profile of the road encourage drivers to high speeds and the monotony causes their concentration to drift away from the road. The latter is a considerable risk in the world of smartphone zombies, to the point that even highways are designed to always curve in some direction for that sole purpose.

Pic related is typical of 60's planning, allowing crossing through at 70km/h, which many drivers did when we did observations there. It connects two straight line and wide roads with oversized speed limits considering their role. Very difficult to solve without expensive construction and road profile modifications.

this is complete bullshit. i couldnt find anything supporting roads curving to reduce distraction on the google. fake news

>Very difficult to solve without expensive construction and road profile modifications.

Just make it a roundabout?

In fact I think a grid with a roundabout for every junction is King.
I used that layout in Sim City to great effect.

I also find it very hard to believe.

Unless you're in a desert there will be natural obstacles anyways, those are the obvious reasons for our curving roads.
And most desert roads I've seen are dead straight.

>grid
>slight skew

trans triggered

what are good sites that discuss urban design? optimal designs for different goals, optimal designs when you have a combination of goals and so on?

>build grid
>enforce speed limits
>enforce seat belt laws
problem solved

>Finland talking about Traffic

No. Grid system works fine

It's the most efficient way to lay out a city tbqh.

I always thought cities would be more efficient under ground. That way they can't be nuked and you can keep immigrants out.

Looks like the city I made in Sim City 4.

kek

>Shit city layout
>Shit architecture
>Shi green spaces
It's shit

I like it.

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting

Well, I'll help you, user. Leggings and having power are not degenerate.

>roundabout

Maybe in Europe but yanks have no fucking idea how to use one of those. I saw one on the big island of Hawaii and they didn't even signal and treated it like three, box junctions.

Also while grid is better for roads, natural evolution is far better for over all optimisation. You get the shops near the people and synergistic businesses near each other. Otherwise it's fucking generic block of houses with 5 mile trip to the nearest shops.

1000x more depressing and artificial than commieblocks
absolutely disgusting

Dehumanising, degenerate and wrong.

I like decentralised, natural looking urban areas. Go look up at Atlanta on Google Maps, it has a really interesting look, like a brain cell. Very nice.

Too many intersections generates too much traffic.

In my experience highway oriented designs makes traffic flow better.

This. Play sim city or Cities:Skylines and create a city without 95% focus on roads and watch it deteriorate.