I don't think today's leaks have really surprised anyone on Sup Forums, I'm sure most of us realised that our phones...

I don't think today's leaks have really surprised anyone on Sup Forums, I'm sure most of us realised that our phones, computers, tablets etc could be used to spy on us (if we were relevant enough to warrant spying upon). The CIA, MI5, GCHQ etc all engage in genuinely Orwellian levels of surveillance.

What I don't understand is - why? This technology doesn't seem to be accessible or even known to ordinary law enforcement agencies. Terrorist attacks still happen, illegal activities happen online every day, and so on. Most politicians probably use all of these devices, but I've never heard of information being used against politicians supporting anti-establishment causes (e.g. Brexit, Trump). So what is the purpose of this gross infringement on our privacy? How does the CIA actually use this type of information?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_measures
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, but it shows Snowden was a traitor after all.

In what way?

>Yeah we live in literal 1984 but the guy who leaked it is a traitor
Nice priorities you have there shart-in-mart

I found the literal retard.

>could be
>Petraus bragged if you had a dishwasher they'd use it to spy on you

The fact is we are all being spied upon with little to no oversight and that data is being warehoused to be used against you if you become a problem.

Knowledge is power and these people are nothing if not power hungry.

Why hasn't it been used yet though?

> Terrorist attacks still happen, illegal activities happen online every day, and so on
>How does the CIA actually use this type of information?

the spoopiest hypothesis so far is: they do use this information
and everything is going according to the plan

>mfw I can't control myself and talk to myself about the Jews and niggers and they are watching my nervous face write now as I type this

seriously?

you haven't noticed embarrassing leaks wrt several senior politicians over the past few years?

from where do you think those originate?

It's a developing form of intelligence. They don't really seem sure how to parse through all of this information yet. And they've probably been using quantum computers for the last ten years to storage isn't an issue.

These are just the trial runs of their capability. This election was their second preliminary testing and they now know what they can do and what they need to work on

OP, that's the point. YOU haven't HEARD about it. If you listen in on your parents about what they got you for christmas, you don't go to them and tell them what you know and how you know it. Billions of things happen every single day all day long that you never hear about ever.

Can you think of examples? All I can think of is ones where people have come forward and leaked the information, or where the information was recorded by some natural way (e.g Trump's mic in pussygate), forgotten about, and then deployed at a strategic time.

Just because you can't think of examples doesn't mean the world shares your goldfish memory

>but I've never heard of information being used against politicians supporting anti-establishment causes (e.g. Brexit, Trump)

But hasn't that been the last week in the news cycle? With the denial that the surveillance of Trump during the campaign was never "ordered" something passive like this kind of data collection would give (((them))) plausible deniability. I'm thinking Trump found out about this over the course of the last month or so, and put two and two together and is hedging that the leaks are coming from this kind of data collection.

The question I'd ask is why then do they not seem to be able to exert their desired level of influence? All around the western world, anti-elite, anti-CIA movements are growing in popularity. Unless they're playing 4D chess and want this to happen, we have to assume that they're not that effective at controlling political thought. With this sort of capability, why not?

Because we all remain capable of independent thought, and retian our capacity for free will. No matter how much information they have and collect, they are not yet capable of total thought dominance.

They have basically performed a silent coup at some point in the past and have been in control until recently.
It's all falling apart and now it's going to end up being people who are loyal to the CIA vs people who are loyal to the constitution.

CIA can no longer make a significant move without ending up with a hot war on their hands and they can't handle that because they are outnumbered. They spent so much time weakening the people they brainwash that they couldn't even use them to fight effectively.
They're either going to have to give up and get arrested or try to burn everything since they can no longer have it. Regaining control is no longer viable.

The onus is on you to provide examples that fit the hypothesis, rather than for me to drag up every single case and show why it doesn't fit the hypothesis.

I'm not the one trying to remember, dipshit

fpwp

The CIA cannot operate within US borders without a domesticated agency attached, I.E FBI or other agency that can operate within the US. The CIA are supposed to be our sneaky alphabet that fucks with all the people outside the US

>What I don't understand is - why? This technology doesn't seem to be accessible or even known to ordinary law enforcement agencies. Terrorist attacks still happen, illegal activities happen online every day, and so on

Simple: if they were to use this information willy-nilly, it would become obvious that they are indeed spying on normal people. Thin of it like that: imagine you know the secret code of a mate's locker, and you know he keeps 50 bucks in there, in 1$ bills. If you were to steal all 50 in one go, it would be dead obvious to him that someone stole him and that someone knows the code of his locker.
But if you steal one dollar note each week...

I genuinely believe it's their memorandum operandi when it comes to spying. Therefore they are ready to let go some minor terrorists attacks and hacks for the sake of keeping their cover so that the majority of the population thinks it is just some conspiracy theory.

As trite as it sounds, the reason is mind control. A few pigs at the top want to have a world of human playthings.

any Sup Forumsfag here has any good cyber security advice? other than putting black tape on your laptop's cam, I already know about that.

Exactly this

So you think they have already approached certain people (politicians probably) with compromising information which they will release unless they act in line with the CIA's wishes?

Try to connect a few more brain cells, user.

He was deliberately building pressure against the NSA, as opposed to the CIA which is the agency which has gone rouge.

If NSA were shutdown, CIA would have a total monopoly on this shit.

You literally fell for the CIA's script in the IRL Truman Show.

that's what I suspect would happen. you only realy need to control those with power

also, just knwing they probably have everythiong you ever did is an altering effect on the rest

>terrorist attacks still happen
You can't monitor everyone all the time and you can't sift through all the data and catch all the bad guys, with 100% success. However they have the tools to do a good job and they do. Was reading earlier that around 30 major terror plots within the UK have been foiled since 2013. So far we've been lucky in that the security service(s) have been able to detect, identify and halt terrorist activity. However intelligence always has been a game of when and not if. There will always be intelligence / warning failures... we just haven't seen them yet (within the United Kingdom) since 7/7. And that's a very good thing.

The tools they have enable them to do what they do. You must understand that espionage, the idea and concept of security is no longer about simply turning foreign agents -- running human intelligence, or HUMINT -- or blackmailing people, it's not all about listening to opponent's radio signals and looking at aerial photography. That's all very much a thing of the past in many respects. The global dynamic of security has changed. A lot of it is now about computer and cyber capability. You can't expect our security services to not adapt with the times, it's unconscionable.

Let's say this. You have the capability to collect intelligence on a known terrorist financier about where his money is going to go. This capability was available to you via hacking software that allowed you to listen in on his conversations through his TV. If you listen in on his conversation, you will be able to collect information that will lead to an arrest and the breakup of the terror gang, and in the process saving possibly dozens, if not more, lives. However, you do not take this opportunity as you disapprove on principle. They go ahead & attack. How the hell can you possibly explain to the government, much less the public, that a bombing that killed 36+ people and children COULD HAVE been stopped but wasn't because of feelings about "principle"?

>So what is the purpose of this gross infringement on our privacy?

It's the panopticon, user. The grandest of psyops. The chilling effect.

Why do you think all the MSM news outlets are reporting this in lockstep? It's a reminder. It's designed to make people behave themselves, police their own behaviour. More efficient than organizing half your population into watchers and enforcers.

Effectively, we all come pre-loaded with a disposition towards the numinous... a "God module", if you will.

Religion is falling by the wayside and any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

i dont believe that they act directly or overtly. they just harm the person or their credibility by disseminating the info to their political opponents.

shaliday

Bingo. The most effective part of it is that they don't have to actively do anything to have it act as a control over the population; anyone who's ever done something embarrassing on the Internet (everyone) will self-censor and remain passive in fear of their secrets being revealed.

They might very well do it, but it would be senseless, because such a large political figure comes with a following.
If you pressure them, they can either back down as you wish, but in that case they set a bad precedent that allows for more bullying later on.
But they also could put the information public. and due to their following it may very well burst into a huge scandal like we've seen before.
And in that case, there is no going back for this agency: either they try to cover up JFK style with well known consequences, or they admit...

So basically, they could, but it would be dumb.

WikiLeaks has the tools of the CIA. That's the point

Yes that's what our society has to figure out: is it OK for info to be ripped out of context from anyone's trail of digital breadcrumbs and used to fuck them with? Hillary got sunk by this... and there are clearly holdover elements of the Democratic establishment that are trying to fuck Trump and his cabinet by digging up nuggets and shining a biased light on them. (The difference, of course, is that Hillary was IN OFFICE and Trump was not). So it comes down to a question of: should elected officials be held to more transparency than the average citizen, or less? Currently, the citizens have next to NO privacy, and the people they elect have next to NO transparency, when, for a healthy society, it should really be the other way round. This is why I don't understand people being angry about Trump tweeting. He's being TRANSPARENT.

Anyway the real power deal becomes sealed when the public ACCEPTS that information from your past CAN be dredged up and used against you. All these people who say "I have nothing to hide", who have complete religious faith in the technocracy. What they fail to understand is that then, ANYTHING can be made up about anyone. "Look, it's right here in the logs, everyone."

Samefagging just to add that when you have a society that is obsessed over arguing over who did or said what at what time you suddenly find out that everyone is focused on THE PAST. Our future orientation suffers and we lose our ability to PLAN while we bicker over the fucking memory hole. This is not healthy for a society.

If it starts being used like this then it will start a chain reaction and we will all lose the minimal anohbt of privacy we have left.
Imagine becoming a politician in 20 years
>"soooo... back in 2015 we see you have a folder with 1000 images named loli/hentai care to explain"

For the interests of the United States and the intelligence comunity. They don't care about simple crimes or "terrorist attacks" whatever that means. Just having the data there is more than a wet dream from an intelligence perspective. Strategic planning, knowing what your enemies will do before they do it, etc.

All of this is purposeful "leaks" and disinformation to get the infrastructure (that has been in place and known about to anyone who was paying attention for decades) put "on the books" in a legal framework so it can be used more openly. It's also to intill a "well, nothing we can do about it" attitude.

I distinctly remember reading about PRISM on wikipedia around 2008-09. It was still a "tinfoil hat" thing then, of course.

Suddenly a few years later we had the Snowden thing and everyone seemed suprised, then of course people went on with their lives and forgot about it.

Exactly. The widespread acknowledgement of CIA having and exerting these blanket capabilities allows normies, conformists, and (((them))) to gradually exclude and shun anyone who falls outside the march toward "progress."

Businesses can justify this process because such employees and prospects who fall outside the norm and/or exhibit anti-establishment sentiments present a plausible liability.

It's no longer a matter of John Doe posting an un-PC post on Facebook, or praising Trump on Twitter in ways a company finds "problematic"; it's now a matter of quasi-pre-cog-like judgment: Does John Doe *seem* like an individual rather than a team player? We wouldn't want someone on our team privy to company secrets who could be a target for spying thus posing a risk.

The CIA's Vault 7 capabilities is the secret back end to complement Facebook's front end: whereupon the user must project a sterile profile of conformity with norms that falls in line with his/her employer's standards.

You must conform in the digital public space; and now you must conform in the digital private space. Big Brother has us checked.

are you MI5 ?

Serious question here: do you actually believe that individuals should be given privacy? Because when you look at history's best systems, they rarely, if ever, left any liberty on the individual.
If you take for example the Politea of the Greeks, each family was openly known to one another, and the peer pressure from it prevented most of the crimes and the shady deals.

Why not just make everybody transparent? That way we can both keep our leaders accountable for what they do, and make sure nobody is crossing the line.
I know it sounds Orwellian, but let me precise: I do not mean a society where each one has access to every detail of someone else's life, but merely a society where individuals are held to the same level of transparency as their leaders.
What think?

a decent person has nothing to hide

the CIA literally likes it when terrorist attacks happen because then they get more funding

what they actually use their spying apparatus for is blackmailing politicians so they can get more money for when ahmed isnt kicking off that week

>I've never heard of information being used against politicians supporting anti-establishment causes (e.g. Brexit, Trump).

It is used for this purpose all the time. There is plenty of documentation about it online. Just occasionally someone breaks cover, or a piece of debris breaks the surface.

They use it for commercial and political advantage, in trade negotiations, in the awarding of contracts (particularly large defence contracts), they use it to understand which foreign leader to prop-up or to topple.

In other words - we Minority Report now. Remember that movie? If you the ability to see future crimes before they happen: do you arrest a "murderer" before they actually do anything?

What didn't surprise me, but will finally convince the normies, is that IOCs (Indicators of Compromise), which are the attack "signatures" of hacking groups that Crowdstrike and the CIA swear by, can be forged by the CIA as there's multiple docs in here of them replicating Russian and Chinese hackers, even using the same tools in order to forge an attack/misdirect the blame.

That whole political theater where the CIA went down to Crowdstrike and showed them TOP SEEKRIT IOC's as 'proof' the Russians hacked the DNC/Clinton servers(s) claiming there was no way anybody could replicate them is now in fact just theater.

I argued endlessly with all kinds of disinfo white hat CEOs who kept trying to assure the public that only Russia could be responsible for the DNC leaks, now they are blown the fuck out.

These sort of titles have always annoyed me.

No you really don't. I've never understood this mentality of a necessary online persona. This idea that it is impossible to be without social networking. You guys act like you're being forced to give the enemy ammunition.

Guess what: people organize without modern communications technology.
People are acting like this is some physics-defying power.
Just unplug your TV or turn off your phone/pull out battery and they can't listen to you.

They hardly care about the terrorist shit it seems. the FBI seems to only bust autistic retards via entrapment. Not sure why the CIA is bypassing the NSA, but it seems like they want to get politician's secrets to gain political power, and they want to harness meme magic to sway public opinion.

> buzzfeed

It's the same problem we had when we decoded enigma with Ultra.

there's your tl-dr.

You say as you post your opinions and views onto the internet.

Data collection and automatic software algoritim profiling don't give a shit about your anonymity.

Underrated Post

except having a facebook is completely optional, and the CIA's tactics and codebase being known by everyone doesn't help the CIA in any way UNLESS all 8000 pages are just disinfo that was made up to shield their actual strategies and paradigms

but that would imply the CIA has more weaponized autism then all of Sup Forums put together, which I seriously doubt considering its by-and-large a normie agency just like any other govt agency

I never claimed that I was anonymous nor that I mind posting information on the Internet. We are examining a principle that you say is impossible to enact when it isn't. The mainstream Internet has been around for less than 30 years and we survived just fine without it for millenia.

Don't be smart, don't be successful, don't think outside of the box, don't stand for justice, watch the clock often, and take frequent piss breaks. Then you will never know what the CIA does with that information.

The CIA exists to destroy the United States. They have to control everyone in it to pull the plan off.

nothing surprising

all electronics are spy devices

Of course it's disinfo, are you serious? Do you also think Snowdens "leaks" actually revealed anything that the average person could have read about on Wikipedia in 2008?

>Terrorist attacks still happen

I would be willing to bet that most major mosques have had either susceptible tv's granted or gifted to them by either the government or an undercover agent

>Hence why they alway talk about lone wolves being the most dangerous

I'm sure they actively screen the high risk places

I think that sounds nice in principle but in praxis it would be easily gamed or corrupted.

We could point to the failings of Communism here. That's obvious. Utopianists have been responsible for the worst dystopias.

Capitalism doesn't get off either, Warren Buffet's secretary pays more tax than he does. Wealth inequality has surpassed escape velocity on the back of imaginary financial instruments that have diluted the real wealth and work of the people and it is making our society sick.

Ultimately I think people should start with ALL the rights, and they should only be constrained to prevent them from infringing on OTHERS' rights. This is very different from the submission to a Godlike state that GRANTS a limited set of rights to its citizens. That's an attitude of: "you only have any rights because we gave them to you". This is antithetical to the human spirit and a dead end for societies.

Whatever criticisms can be rightly levelled at Hitler, one of the reasons he was SO successful at turning his country around is that he INSPIRED people to WILLINGLY contribute.

This

We survived just fine without a lot of things for thousands of years. All of insustrial society and technology for instance. That doesn't mean we will plausably give these things up now that we have them.

CIA uses it to help CIA. Its kind of corporation or state-within-state, they have own isolated society which doesn't give a fuck about outer world.
Did you notice that no matter who wins elections, no POTUS ever fucks with CIA?
Even Trump went to CIA HQ right after inauguration and publicly assured them that he will not do anything funny to them.

They assassinate anyone who disagrees, like Scalia and Breitbart.

Dude someone still needs to check the data. Yeah they have algorithms but they don't have fucking AI (of that level).
Getting swamped by information is same as receiving no information.
CIA just doesn't have the manpower to do what some conspiracy theorists believe they do. No organization in the world has.

> rouge

>a decent person has nothing to hide

Anything the CIA can find, the Chinese can find.

Do you really want Chinese people digitally coming into your home univited, using your smart tv or baby monitor to watch you, using your daugheters laptop or voice-activated doll to spy on her, or let them monitor where your car goes, and eventually give them the keys to your finances and your identity?

CIA are not the badguys here. It is the "Internet of things"

WIFI in homes needs to cease to exist. Tablet culture among soccer moms also has to go. No more smart TV, smart thermostat, no more toys with internet access, no appliances like smart refrigerator that tells you (and china) when you are low on milk.

None of this improves your daily life. They were put there for corporations to spy on you (to find your demographic and spending habits so they can sell targeted marketing to you), and governments both domestic and foreign quickly realized they could exploit them as well.

It has to end now before it gets worse.

That's not true. CIA are still fucking humans. FSB are humans. SVR are humans. MI5 are humans.
Intelligence types are often very intelligent (lol), educated and patriotic people.
Of course some of them do shady shit, but don't think in such simplistic terms.
They aren't some demons wanting to turn world into 1984.

Oh

They gathered data that reflects who people are, in creation of an ultimate A.I. that can produce false online consensus and consent, which produces "real world" false consensus and consent ?

I think that would be clever.

why would US people have to worry about russia hacking when their own gov does it to their own citizens.

>Getting swamped by information is same as receiving no information.

it's worse. way worse. when you have no information you tend to believe that you're misinformed and don't have all the facts, but when you have a lot of worthless information you think you're ready to go.

this is undoubtedly it

exactly what the bongs did when they figured out enigma in ww2

even let some of their own ships sink/people die

Why don't people here ever stop and think that a lot of this shit is Russian propaganda?
Because it is and I say it as a pretty objective person, I'm neither anti-Russian nor pro-American.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_measures
Don't just jump at anything that appears.

Then the benefits out weigh the costs?

>quasi-pre-cog-like judgment
it doesn't even need to be about forcing conformity or finding incriminating evidence against political opponents.
Mass data collection could be used to build up a picture of what people think, what certain groups interests and feelings are, and build up fairly accurate models of group behaviour; a benevolent government would just use this to intervene in potential criminal activity and to implement predictive policies...

And you honestly believe that every time an embarrassing leak happens the explanation is true?

The NSA have documentation on how to disseminate their info to law enforcement in a "natural" way. You don't think the CIA does the same?

Checked
Yeah, if I give you a sentence and ask you to find a specific word in it, you can easily do this. Now I give you a book, and in that book the word I want you to find only appears once, your task becomes monumental.

At some point you have to build tools to help you sort through information. But the more refined your tools become, the more they betray your specific intent. What you're looking FOR.

post yfw you realized this is all a psyop to encourage moral restraint worldwide in an age that has abandoned the fear psychosis of an omnipresent judgmental god

pretty clever tbqh

It won't happen though. There's too much demand for it and it's just become a necessity for some people. It'll be in your home, you car and computer, it'll be in your body if they had their way.

Technology is always going to be vulnerable too. I work as a slightly-higher-level code monkey working as on security for some programs, but mostly it's just Data structure and analysis because no one else here knows SQL for some reason.

Code is just code and it's so complex and intricate that it can't be fool proof. There are exploits in systems no yet discovered because of how they work with eachother. So bottom line is that the AI cars will contiune, the Automated homes will gather your data and the cellphone will soon be an implant.

thats not true, just simply have an answer for everything. Problem solved !

What were the leaks? What did I miss? Aren't the CIA not allowed to act domestically?

digits of... truth?

You mean the terrorists in the US GOV do illegal activities? Them fuckers have been trying to quit me for a long time. Banning and shutting down sites. I know 9/11, Sandy Boston, Orlando, etc all their activities. FAKE NEWS!!!

>There are exploits in systems no yet discovered because of how they work with eachother.
and exploits in systems not yet created. i have seen some true blue aussie shit in my time, i'm talking dogs fucking kangaroos, emus fighting pigs, aboriginal bashups outside centrelink, but i have never seen anything worse than a mediocre dev attempting to shove one brand new intricate system inside an old pile of shit from the 80s.
i can only describe it as rape. it's only a matter of time before our power grids start going down because of a new feature in some as-of-yet obscure toolkit inside some brand new bleeding edge language that's currently in one really obscure corner of microsoft.

>Allowed

Anyways, alot of it just just a Vault of exploits and security vulnerabilities on all things from Android to iOS, OSX or MacOS, Linux or FreeBSD, Samsung TV or TVoS(Apple TV)

How they work, how the exploits are used. They have tools and logs of what they track. As well as information on their operations.

From what I understand anyways

GOV is ALWAYS the problem and NEVER the solution!!!!!!

No shit. The code is the same as the 90's. C/C++ hasn't changed a whole fucking lot and Windows changed once after BASIC and that's it.

It's all permission escalations too. Or Memory calls without fucking signatures

>Care to explain this photo I have of you balls deep in a Brazilian prostitute?
Physical blackmail will always be better than digital.

i disable my recording devices

CIA = Criminals In Action

Everyone HATES the POS Federal GOV. Get rid of it already! At least cut it down 90% and start from there.

"I LOVE wikileaks!" -Trump 2016

People should of caught on by now that they create profiles of EVERYONE based on data collection -

Long ago I already was pissed off at the faults in that system. For example, the person and way I present myself on facebook, does not necessarily need to match real world behavior, you could literally act out everything on facebook and fuck with these assholes.

More people will do this I predict, they will create split fucking personas, and these idiots dont see how theyre affecting the mental health of people, people will create alternative personalities to escape the system

we should enforce a fucking license to code in C or C++, and we should make it harder to get than an MD. those languages were made for a simpler era, where people understood memory allocation and spent weeks, nay months, on shitty little DOS video games. just to get every last detail perfect.
nowadays everyone wants a simple framework where you can bolt shit together and have it compile. C++ just creates exploits disguised as working code when you use it like that.