CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY, RANDOM GENERALS THROUGHOUT THE WEEK

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask questions, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. If you feel something is missing, please ask for it to be included while providing a link. As usual, we will be assisting with answering questions.

We are currently in our period called Lent. Lent is a period of fasting, prayer, and refinement that lasts the forty days before Easter. To understand the rules of Lent, here is a link for you:
catholicnewsagency.com/column/rules-for-lent-1114/

Today is the first Wednesday of Lent
Here is your daily readings: usccb.org/bible/readings/030817.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!

>Catholic Encyclopaedia
newadvent.org/
>Documents of Vatican II
vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/index.htm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>The Collection of Old Catholic Pastebins
pastebin.com/u/wolfshiem
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Recommended Youtubers
pastebin.com/BW3T7qFS
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

mostholyfamilymonastery.com/catholicchurch/anti-pope-francis-vatican-ii-antipopes/
youtube.com/watch?v=1pBgP9JXpX8&t=1s
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Added the Catholic Pastebin link collection to the OP along with a new pastebin for recommended youtubers.

>thread for people who think earth is 6,000 years old

you're on par with flat earthers

You're mistaken. This is a Catholic General, not an Evangelical or even Protestant General.

I appreciate the bump though. Welcome to Sup Forums.

Dumping art as the thread picks up. Reminder that OPs cannot bump their own threads.

Should I become Catholic again? I want to but the Pope is a faggot. Honestly, I'd rather have Benedict as Pope now tbqh

Good morning Wolfshiem! Good to see ya thread couldn't find one on Ash Wednesday.

Unfortunately thursday here in NZ is the busiest day at Uni for me so I won't be able to contribute as much as I'd like. But I'll be in and out.

How are you holding up with the 12 hour shifts?

Hi Wolfie.

Well I would give a resounding 'yes', obviously.
hen people talk about church leaders affecting how they view Catholicism I find St. Augustine very helpful. He was in a debate with a man who thought only the morally excellent could be priests. Augustine's response, quickly paraphrased, is that it is the the grace administered during the sacraments and the authority of the doctrinal teaching does not come from the moral excellence of man, but from God.

Who else /sedevacantist/ here?

>Should I become Catholic again?
Yes
>I want to but the Pope is a faggot. Honestly, I'd rather have Benedict as Pope now tbqh
You should be a Catholic because of its teachings and the fact Christ established it. You should not reject the truth because our current Pontiff lacks the conservatism most of us want.

Return to the Church user.

Yeah, by the time I got on Lent Generals were going on so I left it with that. As my days off are a bit frantic now I'm changing wednesday threads to just random threads throughout the week with you guys doing Sunday threads yourself. How have you been?

I have been doing alright though. Three days of 12 hour shifts doing manual labor largely by yourself is... difficult, to say the least. But I make up for it in the time off. Trying to make sure I get Easter off.

Well crap, hi. I'm legitimately surprised you're still on Sup Forums. Welcome.

>I have been doing alright though. Three days of 12 hour shifts doing manual labor largely by yourself is... difficult, to say the least. But I make up for it in the time off. Trying to make sure I get Easter off.
Would be pretty awful if you can't get Easter off.

>As my days off are a bit frantic now I'm changing wednesday threads to just random threads throughout the week with you guys doing Sunday threads yourself.
I'll be sure to keep an eye out through the week then.

>How have you been?
Been doing pretty good. Glad to get back to uni as it makes my prayer and mass life much more stable. Can go back to daily mass much easier.

We will ever build pretty churches again? All catholic new-built churches look like commieblocks. They are building a new Orthodox Church nearby and it looks very nice.

Most of the catholics i've talked to believe in young earth creationism
and some of them even believe in 6 literal days

how predominant is this belief in catholicism?

>Most of the catholics i've talked to believe in young earth creationism
>and some of them even believe in 6 literal days
>how predominant is this belief in catholicism?
I have yet to meet a young earth creationist Catholic, nor anyone who believes in 6 literal days.

I believe it is not a very common belief in the Catholic faith. I feel that it would be more of a cultural thing. Being in Africa I feel would lead to the large amount of young earth creationists and of 6 day literalness in the Catholic faith.

>We will ever build pretty churches again?
I truly hope so.

may almighty god be with all of you and plunge into the firing pit jews and muslims alike for trying to destroy the holy church and condemn mankind.

Oh I'll never leave.

It's very rare. The 6 days are even mentioned as explicitly symbolical in the catechism.

Sounds like an Americanism.

Fuck off, Wolfy. Take your bullshit to where it belongs.

>I want to but the Pope is a faggot.
What complaints do you have? You retards keep going on about how bad the pope is but without any actual complaints. What has he done?

Excellent stuff, man. I hope you can get back over there sooner then. I had no idea you were doing daily mass. I'm impressed.

Postmodern styles need to end.

I can't say how widespread it is between people. As I know it, it's only popular between Catholics surrounded by Evangelicals or very uneducated communities who don't know better.

The church leadership has been making explicit statements about how evolution still makes sense to Christianity since the 50s and, well before that, we had theological claims that expressed that creation could be over a large amount of time and through a continuous development both in the patristic era and the medieval.

Wouldn't the same thread without you. Glad to have you.

can you guys get to crusading again already? explicitly too, not just using the us military as your sword.

>Excellent stuff, man. I hope you can get back over there sooner then. I had no idea you were doing daily mass. I'm impressed.
Good way to keep myself grounded and free from temptation through the week.

Anyway I better prep for my next lecture, hopefully the thread will still be around when I get back. And hopefully more people will come and ask some questions.

God bless you Wolf and have a good week regardless.

I'm trying to regain my faith after being agnostic since I was 15, but I'm having trouble believing that God is all-loving, yet there are countless horrors and injustices that exist in the world.

Any anons care to help? I am more Catholic than most "Catholics" that attend my local Church but I'm stuck on this one paradox.

Godspeed, user.

What are you giving up for lent?

>eating healthier and more (t. skeleton)
>giving up profanities
>more exercise

>Everyone is welcome
Even Muslims ?

If Wolf doesn't get to you in the next hour I'll be sure to give you a decent response. But I need to leave now.

Wolf should help you out. Regardless I'll be sure to pray for you tonight user regardless. God bless you.

Please accept lutheranism today or else you will go to hell.

Evil didn't always exist.

Evil won't always exist.

So long as God made men and angels free moral agents, and granted them sovereignty, He knew that some people would become evil.

And from that evil state, He knew that some would come back to him, and love him, and live with him forever, after all evil is eradicated.

Evil exists so that you can choose love, and love is God's highest ideal. There is no coercion in love; you are free to love God, or not, as you see fit.

But men and angels caused evil to be, not God. God is only allowing it to exist temporarily while he takes as many people who want to be with him into heaven.

Just don't think about it so much. That's the answer to any question you might have.
>But men and angels caused evil to be, not God
Wrong. God caused everything. Anything that happens, anything that exists only does so because he caused it to be so.

>want to become catholic
>can't sign up for RCIA until august
REEEEEEEEEE FUCK YOU PEOPLE WHAT IF I DIE BEFORE THEN

do you not understand what "free moral agent" means?

I'm almost done with the RCIA process.

>2017
>Following a meme denomination

Mormonism is the true church

tfw you were scared of hell as a teenager so you went through weeks of classes just so you can get baptised

>2017
>Still being a Cuckalic
I stopped being one and stopped wasting my Sundays going to church when I left my parents at 18. Being an atheist is the greatest thing you can do in your life.

If you ask someone: "What or who created god" the answer would most likely be something along the lines of "god is everything that is and have ever been", but isn't that basicly what everyone believes in in some sort of way?

Atheists belive that the universe has always had rules, catholics belive that the universe has always had a god, buddhists belive that the universe has always had a state of equilibrium which it steers towards, etc.

We all belive in the same concept, that the universe always has rules or conditions which ultimately lead to us being created, yet we fight and kill eachother because we disagree about the details.

We find it hard to belive that there ever was nothing, because what can come from nothing except more nothing?

Maybe the answer would be that anything can come out of nothing, just as 0 = every number possible. Anyways, my question to you is:

What makes catholism special and why belive in it instead of any other religion, seen from an outsider's perspective?

>Put muslims over Christians
>Shills for globalism and multiculturalism
>Says he is disgusted when people mention Europe's Christian heritage
>Compliments communists - the people that persecuted Christians
>Talks about tolerance in public while going Night of The Long Knives on conservative Catholic officials and placing progressive shills
>Constantly saying non-Ex Cathedra things that give atheist, agnostic, and Christian In Name Only libcucks ammo to use
>Kissing muslim migrants' feet
>Likely a crypto-marxist trying to screw over the west
>Possibly involved in pedorings and blackmail that forced unprecedented events like Benedict resigning and a non-European coming to power
>Bashed Donald Trump like a shill

Catholics need a new pope. Hope he resigns and we get a based traditionalist who will Make The Vatican Great Again.

Baptism of desire counts in cases of extremity user.

Mormonism is American Islam. You guys reject the trinity and believe in many gods. Also many are great, but the NeverTrumpers and cuckservatives are disproportionately Mormons.

can anyone provide FACTS and EVIDENCE why mhfm is wrong?

mostholyfamilymonastery.com/catholicchurch/anti-pope-francis-vatican-ii-antipopes/

That is a hard topic, particularly with how varied suffering can be. Allow me to speak in detail about it though:

Classically, Christianity rejects the notion of "evil" having existence. In this view good is defined as the fulfillment of the natural goals of things in nature (for example a heart is for pumping blood and so the pumping of blood is the good of the heart, etc). This is the mainstream view of the good until the modern era but its still upheld by the church. Evil, then, would not be a kind of material or substance but rather a lacking of the good or something that works against the good of things.

Now to the problem of evil, there are two major Catholic views on it:

1. Necessary evils. By the nature of reality some evils must be allowed to occur to enable good. A basic example of this would be the possibility of sin to allow free will to occur and love as we are made to do. Further, the very limited nature of reality adds to this as well.

2. Redemptive suffering. God draws all things to his will. What suffering we cannot escape are not given to us as tests but as opportunities for growth in virtue (God's will for us). They may propel us to act virtuous more, they may be unbearable and break our hearts so they may be opened up, they may be punishment, they may be even a way to strengthen us. The guiding tool to see this suffering and overcome it is precisely what the church promotes so much in the Christian life: Faith. To have faith in these situations is what it means to "live by faith".

>but I'm having trouble believing that God is all-loving, yet there are countless horrors and injustices that exist in the world.
Ironically, this is basically proof of God's infinite mercy towards us, as if He were not merciful we would all have been struck down the first time we sinned and the human race would have lasted all of about 5 minutes.

We are permitted to use our free will either for good or for evil during our life here on earth, and each of us get an accounting accordingly when we die.

Overall, to begin to understand you have to attempt to reframe your view of evil from "actions that harm other people" to "actions that offend God".

How do I return to my catholic roots? I was baptized catholic and held my first communion but lost faith over the years. With the increasing number of islamic belligerents increasing, I would like to offer my services to the lord.

If you've already been baptized, then it should be simple. You should attend confession at your nearest church and then you can return right away. Good luck and God bless.

user pls

10/10 job. What did you think of it?

Pic is for you.

You had me until

>Maybe the answer would be that anything can come out of nothing

"Maybe the answer is something entirely contrary to logic". Well I gotta say I don't know, it could be, but I have no reason to believe it or assert it compared to other views.

>What makes catholism special and why belive in it instead of any other religion, seen from an outsider's perspective?

What makes Christianity special (though this is in no way comprehensive) is the view of the good of man and the basic cosmology (divine conservation, concurrentism, etc) and what Catholicism special is that it is the church founded by Christ and still under His apostolic authority.

I can answer what questions you have.

Sure. Everyone can be in the chat.

Well Lent is the perfect time for that. is great advice but I must ask: Why did you depart in the first place?

Tell me, do Christians and Catholics even take their religion seriously like muslims do?

>How many do things like ashes wednesday
>How many are agaisn't degeneracy
>How many of them do nothing agaisn't the 7 deadly sins?
>Do they even believe in God or just want an excuse for not believing in eternal darkness?
>What is the difference between Christianity and Catholicism?

Thanks for the help. Though belief isn't as simple as simply choosing to believe, your responses have given me something to think about.

I'm open to more opinions and I'll be monitoring the thread for anything interesting.

>tfw confirmed catholic but don't associate with the church at all anymore because the Pope is a communist jew, and the rest of it is shit.

What was the true reason why pope Benedict resigned?

What is the correlation between Lucifer the Morning Star and Jesus who describes himself as Morning Star?

Why is the god in the old testament judging and in the new loving and forgiving?

Basically this.

We need a Pope who will raise a Crusade, instead of one calling for the death of the West and saying Europeans shouldn't reproduce but should take in the invading hordes.

1st four question vary considerably. A lot (probably most) of Western Catholics are cultural and have very basic understandings of the religion. That being said, there is something of a renaissance in traditional Catholicism and doctrine. Young priests for example are much more conservative than their predecessors.

Catholicism is the largest denomination of Christianity. The most visible difference is the presence of the Papacy, but there are theological differences as well. Catholics believe that they represent the true Church founded by Christ and the Apostles.

Well I used to attend church every sunday when until I reached 12 years of age and entered the whole "religun is dum" phase. It wasnt until my 20's that I've realized how important religion is moralistically, culturally and spiritually. I also promised my mom I would attend church with her so we could grow closer to god and as a family. It would also help in detaching myself from my hedonistic nature to seek something more virtous.

Well every* other denomination split off from the Catholics, so they're not wrong.

*there may be one or two dead denominations that started at the same time as the Catholics, can't remember exactly

I've been trying to get back into catholic practice after years of nothing. Problem is I find that I don't go to church regularly. Any suggestions on how to properly discipline myself into being more devout?

On the rate of people observing things it depends on the region, as with Muslims. I can't say with any clarity what the situation is statistically.

>What is the difference between Christianity and Catholicism?

Catholicism is the largest denomination of Christianity. It is one of the denominations claiming apostolic succession and uniquely upholds that the office of the apostle Peter has mechanical authority over all other offices. Due to this lineage it has a connection to classical Christian thought from the early church to the modern day while rejecting modern shifts away from it and exists as one of the anti-modernist churches.

Convince me that IF I was to become a devout Catholic that I'm not just submitting myself to another form of mind (((control))).

I really want to believe but at the same time with any religion I feel like its just steering me away from being a free-thinking individual.

Love you mom

Hm. Well it looks like you need something to assist you from the ground up. I could recommend some reading material for you to grasp the basics if you'd like. What you need is some learning of the whole situation. Would that be good for you? Any particular topics you'd like to look into or would a more direct Q&A here be more your thing?

What I said above in this post also applies to you too.

Also, coupling a life of prayer with a Catholic understanding of prayer (rather than just petition and thanksgiving) would be good for you. Lent is a time for prayer generally so this is good timing for you.

Good to see you Wolf. Have bump.
Yes. We are not protestant, we place formal visible church (Dogma and structure) over fallible humans. We should correct them, of course, even the pope, but they are not what matters. What matter is Truth and we have it.
Our leaders are shity but they are legitimate
youtube.com/watch?v=1pBgP9JXpX8&t=1s

Back to give this thread a well deserved bump.

And my daily shilling that Cardinal Sarah would make a wonderful next Pontiff.

I recommend you two reads about searching the Truth in life. One is biblical, book called Ecclesiastes. It's good, short read about meaning of life. Other one is "Confessions" of Saint Augustine. He searched truth and meaning through all his life and finally found it in Church.
Or, if you want more scholastic point of view, just go read Summa Theologica.
Rember, point of Church is to make you forever free in Christ.

>be me
>raised Episcopalian
>meet gf, she's Catholic
>attend mass with her
>Priest talks about rock of the Church during homily
>inspired.jpeg
>talk to priest about Episcopalians
>he points out philanderer King Henry
>realization.gif
>philanderer king is not rock of church
>converted by following Easter

I've read too much of spooky stuff to look forward new pope. I hope that you like Australian Imigrants.

Catholicism has a long history of standing in opposition to God.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0

This shit isn't funny my mom just had surgery today and that scares me plz stop. Thanks

If only more protestant opened themselves for the Mass.
I hope that your gf is ok.
Jesus was Catholic :^)

>I really want to believe but at the same time with any religion I feel like its just steering me away from being a free-thinking individual.

Christianity holds that the goal of man is a life of love. In this they find fulfillment in life. By this they don't mean explicitly romantic or brotherly love but love in a more traditional sense: "The willing of the good of all things without self-interest". The moral teachings extend from this, basically, and go into greater detail of what that means. The study of morality and ethics in the Catholic Church is very substantial and you can look at the defenses yourself rather than doing the "God said so" version of divine command thing.

On the topic of the church's supported history, cosmology, and theology they are equally rigorous and you can see the academic defenses yourself.

Beyond this, where is the mind control? For ease of us people lean on the advice and teaching of learned people in the church (usually priests) but we do the same with the sciences or any other advanced field.

The whole "mind control" meme is a Protestant creation to shame people leaning on teachings they get from educated teachers in the Catholic Church and not get all their teachings from reading the Bible directly themselves, as Protestants supported seeing as they trusted nothing but the Bible.

Aside from the early heresies that have died out now Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox all come from the same root, but have split over theological and structural reasons. The Orthodox claim that the Papacy was an innovation by Christians in the Latin Empire while Catholics claim that authority was invested in Peter and his successors from the early church. Both have some valid arguments imo.

I married her

Can you Rpers post some more Christ Chan pics

Agreed. Sadly Sup Forums would have a shitfest despite him being thoroughly anti-degenerate.

Good to have you both.

Great job working through it and taking your faith that seriously. I am thoroughly tired of people defending their denomination on irrational grounds such as "this is what I was raised in" or "I'm comfortable here".

:^)

11/10 job.

When we see some RPers we'll tell you.

I found myself a bit jealous that I haven't found any girl yet.
I hope that she was a virgin. Good luck in marriage and many non-degenerate kids.

me too, that and porn
I need to sort myself out. pray me for anons

I try to do nofap since first of january. And I fail and fail. Twice yesterday.
I really need to spend more on selfdissipline and prayer (and get some exorcismed items if that won't help)

I tried giving up masturbation all together then got hit with a pretty nasty cold that knocked me out for a few days. I decided to go easier on myself and just gave up porn and masturbate less frequently.

It's tough but once you get over the first few days, it gets a little easier. Also some advice: boredom is the worst part. Keep yourself busy.

If possible you could potentially go to a few weekday masses through the week. This may help bolster your resolve in keeping away from fapping.

Remember to pray user, pray for the strength to overcome lust. And when you do feel temptation try to force yourself to drop down to a knee and pray for deliverance.

And of course don't give up, its gets easier.

This is coming from an user who used to wank five times give or take 1 or 2 for about 5 years before finding Christianity. Its been rough but I've now just two days ago made it to three months no fap. My previous best was two months. Set goals and overcome them, then when overcoming them try set new goals before falling again. With lent I believe I can quite easily make it to 4.5 months, and from there its only a bit more to half a year. Then i'm already half way to a year no fap. Keep setting goals and fight to get there user.

I'll be sure to pray for you, God bless.

>also download a siteblocker and block your porn sites
>you will actively have to go ahead and unblock them to fap which will make you feel bad doing so
>that includes shit like /gif/ block that too

One man can't judge the pope to be a heretic and invalid, you need a council for that. Otherwise, you can't just call the pope a heretic and schism - there were in history popes who were heretics and are considered popes after they've started being heretics - Honorius and that one pope whose name I don't remember that put a heretical opinion on marriage into the canon law come to mind.

And while we're on the topic of recent schismatic movements, the section condemning errors of Hus in Council of Constance is a good resource on replying to less sophisticated sedevacantists.

Catholic-chan gives me a weird mix of cute boner and childhood PTSD

Delet

So is king james /ourbible/?

Wait does this mean I gave up masturbation for no reason?

>we had theological claims that expressed that creation could be over a large amount of time and through a continuous development both in the patristic era and the medieval
Proofs?

Well no, why would it.

No. King James is Protestant.

The whole Scholastic tradition, user.

I got a question I usually think about
how do you guys deal with combining what the bible says and evolution? I have my own understanding, just curious what y'all might think

Catholic chan is latino with scottish dress I believe. This is just Christ chan.
No. Vulgate est. King Meme Varsion est horribilis mistranslation.
Pic