Human Epigenome Project

Considering how much the Human Genome Project has paid off, why aren't we looking into and funding the Human Epigenome Project more?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Epigenome_Project

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Epigenome_Project
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenome
genome.gov/27549135/nov-2011-human-genome-project-produces-many-benefits/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because whites are afraid to find out how inferior they are to blacks

Marry, Fuck, Kill

>irrefutably proving race realism
Why do you care about such ordinary matters?

agreed.

nailed it.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Epigenome_Project

explain to someone with no uinderstanding of science how it differs to the genome program?

what is an epigenome?

good taste

Yup

Basically, a genome consists of the static genes mostly or entirely unaffected by the environment which program biological behaviors. An epigenome on the other hand is a series of changes to DNA via built in biological triggers or modifiers which can cause genetic changes via processes like methylation and histone modification which account for the environments's effects on how are genes are expressed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenome

>how much the Human Genome Project
It hasn't, and the epigenome project will be just a much of a waste of money

>He said hoping that his delusional pseudo-scientific phrenology will one day be accepted instead of proven genetics

perfect answer

We are. ENCODE and RoadmapEpigenomics is getting better at annotating the epigenetic state of chromatin.

What's lacking is a knowledge of what enhancers regulate which genes. We can find enhancers and promoters quite easily now. But it's harder to know which enhancer goes to what gene.

That's the next step. Researchers like Bing Ren use HiC to find long range interactions of chromatin.

However there's a barrier for diseases of the central nervous system because you can't take live brain samples. And postmortem samples are sometimes compromised.

>I study genetics

>marrying whores
>not marrying a qt catholic church going wife (no not a lapse catholic, actual one)

fuck, marry, kill

The epigenome is programmed after differentiation into specialized tissues. I would think an environmental factor (like a toxin) would affect protiens that program the epigentic state on replicating DNA.

So the environmental factor is more likely to affect the epigentic machinery than the actual code.

> The Genome Project was a waste of money
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you have any idea how many advances in genetic science were yielded from the Human Genome Project? Cheap testing methods, laying the groundwork for future biotech and genetic engineering, etc. It's one of the greatest scientific investments we've likely ever made.

All Catholics are lapsed. Trust me

it has. Before 1985 there was only a handful of diseases genetically mapped to genes.

Now there are hundreds perhaps thousands of genes known to cause disease.

If you know the gene, you can make pharmaceuticals for them.

So what you're saying is great work is being done but we're only setting a solid basis until the next big war breaks out and we have prisoners of war to test on and actually get results

The only unacceptable answer

It was a huge waste of money and lagging until Craig Venter challenged the public initiative. He started a company called Celera and started mapping the human genome.

Then the public tried to beat him to it investing in the Broad Institute in Boston. Currently the Broad is one of the sequencing powerhouses, working with MIT and Harvard CRISPR was developed there.

It ended in a tie. Craig Venter is a grad of my PhD program and I met him once. He's a jerk though.

word

perhaps and then the Chinks will beat us to it.

They have much lower standards for ethics. But they don't innovate like the US and a lot of papers from China are fraudulent.

plebeian taste

What is it? Does it make hot grills?

I have degree in genomics, I know what a waste of money it is. It's an essentially useless science. The only thing we discovered is how hopeless it is to try to fix people on a genetic basis.

>luddite that has no connection to tech or medicine
valuable opinions

>If you know the gene, you can make pharmaceuticals for them.
That's how they get funded. But in reality this has never happened in this way. Understanding the genetic basis for diseases doesn't help much

Are you kidding? Chemotherapy since 1995 is largely based on genetic findings. Why is genetic screening of tumor samples becoming more common nowadays?

>marry, marry, marry
Get fucked, kaffir.

Based

Fuck,Fuck,Fuck

Mary none of them. Kill all three and fuck the corpses

Wrong, my girlfriend isn't. Though she was raised in a very traditional househould

I don't want to seem like a dick correcting somebody who knows more than me, but it seems clear there has been at least a very noticeable net positive effect from it.

genome.gov/27549135/nov-2011-human-genome-project-produces-many-benefits/

Underrated post.

yes, exquisite choise