Scientists say the are finally close to fusion power

German scientists that is.

dailycaller.com/2017/03/01/scientists-say-theyre-finally-getting-close-to-fusion-power/

Operational fusion power would put most other forms of electricity generation permanently out of business and could occur very soon. Fusion power could be “too cheap to meter,” meaning the cost of generating new power would be below the cost of determining how much power an individual was using, effectively making electricity generation nearly free.

Read more: dailycaller.com/2017/03/01/scientists-say-theyre-finally-getting-close-to-fusion-power/#ixzz4as4A8ClW

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0054803/
lockheedmartin.com/us/products/compact-fusion.html
electric-cosmos.org/sun.htm
electricuniverse.info/Electric_Sun_theory
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't that what scientists are saying since 50 years?

>1. Debate and discussion related to politics and current events is welcome.

Another off topic junk thread by a german flag.

yes

They do indeed imdb.com/title/tt0054803/
But why it can't be true now?

Oh yeah? Where's my FUCKING hoverboard

> hey guys, unlimited energy is almost there
junk
> WHITE HOES CAN'T STAND MUH BBC
reeeeeeee

Please tell me you are american cuck hiding behind a german proxy.

in 20 years, we'll still be 'close'.

fusion reactions have been successful already but the net energy is still not in supplus

>hey guyse this Sup Forums fanfiction is totally Sup Forums
>haha black dicks xDDD

neck yourself.

we've been close for 30 years now
fusion is a meme and it will always be close

the only thing fusion """"""""""""""""research"""""""""""""""" does is help the jews siphon money from governments

>inb4 these scientists (((kill themselves))) and free electricity is never achieved

She has a big poopie.

Fucking shills, weeabos and shitposters, you really ruined this board. Kill yourselves, this thing could have a huge impact on modern society

One bump for my krautbro

I doubt that (((they))) are going to allow that. Probably false flag some catastrophe or something like Edison did with that elephant and AC to scare everybody away from Tesla's idea.

So you're okay with giving that unlimited energy to niggers because while you're busy doing that theyre fucking your dumb bitches^
Don't you see the problem^

Sure, better seize the money from scientists and use it to import and feed more refugees. They must be strong and healthy, so they can impregnate more swedish whores.

We will never be without power, but the economy is gonna tank HARD.

It will be interesting, thats for sure.

Bumping

Doublets says (((car crash))), trifector is (((plane crash)))

You can't really forbid any technology now, thanks to the internet.

Fusion has been available for many years already, perhaps most notably using the Tokamac design. The big problem with fusion power is extracting enough energy from the process to make it profitable and thus financially secure as a power source.

If what they say holds merit, it's gonna be brilliant.

Black Egyptians created the first fusion power. Citation too ancient to post.

Ok, they get our dumb bitches while we get their smart based qts. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Nuclear fusion is always 20 years away, and it hasn't changed since. Seriously, my grandfather was told he would live to see viable nuclear fusion since he was a young man, now he's dead and nuclear fusion is still "close" to being complete. Nuclear fusion is like space colonization, the more we know about it, the more hurdles there are that appear every time we figured out to solve the previous one.

>dailycaller

It will be cheap but not at first.

>trusting anything news journalists cover on science

Go read the actual scientific essays.

>“too cheap to meter,”
I've heard it already huh
They were saying it about fission

All those doctors, scientists and engineers that you've been bringing in are finally paying off.

How would it be cheaper to the end user, here my electricity bill is 20% for the electricity and 80% for taking care of the electric grid.

Will fusion power travel trough air? Or will it use the same grid that they are taking the most money from my electric bill?

There is absolutely nothing new or substantial in that article.
Even some basic facts are wrong.
This is nothing but clickbait.

At least give us a decent source!

Fusion does not pollute the environment AT ALL. The only side product is helium, which is absolutely inert. And it cannot explode like fission reactors. This means there will be no restrictions about placing one right in center of your town. So yes, delivering the energy will be cheaper as well.

>tfw the town centre of the future is a fusion reactor

rumors are Lockheed has already developed a small fusion reactor that fits on a flatbed truck.

germany once again 50 year behind everyone else

>Checks flag

I knew it. Go watch Spiderman 2 and get back to me on that

Pretend it wasn't mindless clickbait.

>Make something so cheap that metering it isn't useful anymore
>Current other power options put "out of business"

"They" have never allowed any science like this to go through. They're not going to start now.

>implying fusion isn't viable right now
Toppling the oil oligarchy qualifies as a threat to national security.

Kek, yeah for the last 50 years too.

The real redpill is to realize we will never achieve positive fusion power, because the sun itself is powered externally, fusion is but a side effect.

So they just need to make one false flag attack with it to get populace anti Fusion.

Can't see it happening in the near future then.

Also are the supposed materials used in the reactor cheap and available?

Why has Russia or some other Country taken advantage of it? I know Russias economy is based on selling nonrenewable energy sources.

But would the first country who makes it have a clear advantages over rest of the world and make a lot of money selling the tech?

Why would you want to drive around a fusion reactor on a flatbed truck? You only need an ordinary non-fusion reactor to power a truck.

>rumors

This is where all the shit you posted falls apart.

> Spiderman 2
> Scientific source in USA.
Damn you were close It is impossible to completely shutdown anything because of the internet. If you don't implement this technology, North Korea will do it and suddenly become a superpower.
> the sun itself is powered externally
Interesting thoughts, I never heard it before.

What's especially interesting is that some scientists see trash can sized fusion plants in the future.

This would mean every single town, municipality, could have its own power station. A truly distributed power generation grid.

Imagine that. Long distance heavy power lines might become a thing of the past.

Bumfuck Nowhere needs electricity? Give it a trash can sized fusion plant.

Some US aerospace contractor said they were really close to this goal. I think it was Lockheed.

I don't know if they're the type of reactors being used in R&D, but deuterium is derived from ordinary ocean water.

>>So they just need to make one false flag attack with it to get populace anti Fusion.
if you blow up a fusion reactor you get, maybe, a small fireball

>Also are the supposed materials used in the reactor cheap and available?
a fusion reactor costs fucking billions

>Why has Russia or some other Country taken advantage of it?
they do, they're all involved in the ITER project.

to power small citys
to use it to power planes/ships and more

>multi billion dollar corporation with strong ties to Government
>selling its tech on the civilian market before handing it over to the government for defense stuff
>implying they don't have the working prototype for months now

>Fusion does not pollute the environment AT ALL.
what kind of fusion are we talking about? D-T still needs radioactive Tritium, D-He3 is MUCH harder to do AND fuel.
>And it cannot explode like fission reactors.
Almost all of the current reactor designs are horrible for civilian energy production. They were designed for subs and nuke production. Meltdown-proof designs are available (and I mean 0 chance, not possible).

Oh, this same mene has been on for twenty decades ago.
It takes at least another 50 years to get practical solution with all the test trials.
And one quite huge problem to solve is how to transport all that energy without losing a lot for a long distances.
You cant product unlimited power on one place if you cant get it to place where to use it.

So somebody has blown up one or is it speculation?

It was Lockheed, it's even in the article, doh.

Oh yeah, several

electric-cosmos.org/sun.htm
electricuniverse.info/Electric_Sun_theory

Fascinating shit, although it rules out fusion as a power source, it gives us a much better option, power direct from the universe.

it's not speculation, it's inherent to the design. to achieve fusion you need shit to be incredibly hot, you can't do that on earth normally so you need to create a special environment with ridiculously powerful magnets

if you destroy the magnets (which is what would happen if you blew a fusion reactor up) the fusion reaction quickly stops, and you get a fireball. that's it. only a few grams of fuel are in the reactor at any given time

Do we even know how magnets work?

Net gain fusion was achieved a few years ago, but actually getting it to a state where you can have a sustained reaction for commercial electricity production is way off.

yes, and don't forget a war for the moon

Literally an article summarizing a publication that summarizes the research of several different people.

by glancing at thumbnail i thought they had shit on them

>atom molecule
nani

People are idiots and think fission reactors can explode like a nuclear weapon, we shouldn't be surprised that they believe stupid ridiculous things about fusion reactors too.

The petroleum lobby has been suppressing the fusion projects for the last 40 years.

My dads friend used to be involved in Tokamak projects, apparently a great deal of sabotage and espionage went on at these places.. food for thought...

Wendelstein 7x?

>Meltdown-proof designs are available

Yeah, though it seems to be an engineering nightmare to build, or not worth the cost.

I think you need a fission reactor to give its initial power to your fusion reactor at this point anyway, so it keeps being dangerous.

As someone working with scientists I know that it won't take long anymore.

And it's going to be a huge milestone for humanity. It will change a lot. Think about it.

Taking the airplane, trains, etc. all won't cost a lot anymore. They will be financed by advertisement/collecting data. It will change how houses are built since you don't have to give a shit about efficiency anymore, you can simply heat the whole year for no costs. Food production will be very cheap, etc.
I guarantee you that in some decades automation and machines will do 90% of our current jobs. It's just logical. Have a look at how humanity developed the last 200 years. 50 years ago it was impressive to see moving b/w images in a very huge box (TV). Today you have access to almost all data available on this planet, in real time and it weights 150g in your hands. Globalisation makes it almost impossible to have another destructive world war (at least among wealthy states). We are basically one step away from utopia.

Shit article and shit thread but at least posted a quality reaction image.

>I think you need a fission reactor to give its initial power to your fusion reactor at this point anyway
that's not how it works

How the fuck are they going to fit a fusion reactor on an airplane?

"I've heard that one before."

- my grandfather, former nuclear physicist employed at Argonne lab

>German scientists that is.

Even the Wendelstein 7-X (which is one of the devices mentioned in the article) has a very large portion of it's funding from America.

They don't explode like real nuclear bombs, but they explode just enough to spread small radioactive parts over a huge zone. So it is even worse than a nuclear bomb. You can't do anything on that territory for many decades after explosion.

Dog, do you know that currently just transporting the electric power costs you quite much? Also, do you think fusion power plants would be free to build? If they are not free to build, do you think the producers would like to charge you for the electricity?

Damn, MAKE THIS PEPE A FISH MOUTH.

That's actually wrong. The reactor itself becomes radioactive due to neutron bombardment.

It's safer than fission, but fission is already stupidly fucking safe and look at what happened there.

this user knows Even if it wouldn't be compact: There is nothing that speaks against building an airplane big enough to make it fit in.

This.

Fusion reactors are playing with fire, my dads friend (who worked at a tokamak) told me a fusion meltdown has the danger of going critical, in which it processes nearby atoms into the reactor and turns into a mini-sun! Eventually it collapses due to gravitational imbalances and releases the entire sum of the atomic energy stored within in a massive explosion.

Very dangerous.... I trust coal and gas

Thorium reactors are idiot proof, but the other kind of reactor gives good plutonium for nukes

how the fuck do they fit fission reactors on submarines that are less than the length of a 747

Fucking juggalo

Make it really small. Or make a really big airplane A mission to mars airplane.

^This

Synths and communists aren't people

>technology suppression

brainlet detected

Yeah, a whopping 7.5 Million out of the total cost of 1.1 Billion. It´s another Marshall Plan all over again.

By the way, the EU contributed about 200 million.

Not for long though. You can't compare free neutrons with uranium.
I was talking about fission, brah. Fusion doesn't have this drawback.

no no im talking about fusion!!

Maybe if you paid your own NATO fees and defenses instead of spending it frivolously in stupid dead-end projects like this we'd get some where...

Well, that explains the attempted destruction of Germany right there.

If it collapses before achieving efficient fusion reactions, the established petroeconomy is saved.

>A reactor that weighs a minimum of 300 tons, double the maximum takeoff weight of a 767, is somehow going to fly one day.

>technology suppression isn't a thing

hydrogen bombs and Over-the-horizon radar technology is suppressed technology.

So were drones in ww2, stealth, sr 72 blackbird, and the internet.

Honestly, I thought USA will collapse before/immediately after the elections. Still didn't happen.

Antonov An225 has maximum takeoff weight of 600 tons.
but it won't be 300 tons heavy. it will be smaller and lighter.

What kind of idiot would you have to be to go through all of the effort to achieve stable fusion and then lock it all away when you could patent it and wipe your ass with million dollar bills forever?

You're retarded. Basically, a fusion reaction needs a whole lot of nothing (vacuum) to function in.

Fuck up the magnets or overload the reaction past their ability to contain it and you end up self-quenching the reaction, getting a pretty flare of plasma and boom, done.

It's not a fucking bomb and it can't go "critical" like a runaway fission reaction.

"'too cheap to meter' would make electricity essentially free"
no, it would mean companies have no incentive to sell fusion, forcing governments to step in and build fusion plants if they're going to be built, which would be paid for in tax dollars. you'd just be paying for electricity with taxes instead of utility bills.

>German scientists that is.

The secret ingredient?

Black cock

>b-b-but it might fit on literally the largest aircraft ever built!
Pull LHM's cock out of your mouth already. And 300 tons is their best case scenario. They've admitted the reactor is more likely to be in the 800-1000 ton range, which means no one will be putting it on an airplane anytime soon.

It is hard to patent something when you are dead. Before internet it was possible to shut down anything and anyone, but today it is not. If scientists feel unsafe, they can simply publish their work on archive.

Nuclear fusion of hydrogen atoms is shit-level garbage.
The one that's being researched right now is nuclear fusion of helium atoms (the product is berilium I guess?).

>inb4 they create a black hole and we all die

Fusion power has already existed. I can't be bothered to read the article because it's probably over-sensationalised shit, but I'm guessing that they mean fusion power is become cheap enough to use efficiently.

Even if that's true, why bother? We have so many superior methods of fuel such as the EM Drive; and physics and mechanics is progressing at such a brilliant rate that fusion power will soon become as foolish as coal power.

wrong